As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sid Meier's: Civilization Beyond Earth

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Pssssssssh, Great Library.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I mean look guys, it's an Alright Library, I just think calling it Great is a bit much though, right?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    From what I watched, the player has a Mind Flower up.

Maybe the Ai will nit make peace with player they know are about to win? A do or die mechanic to make the end game harder?

Unless there were other peace shenanigans earlier on.

• Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    This is being seen in several Let's Plays.

Apparently the AI won't surrender if the War Score inflicts conditions that are too punishing, which kind of makes sense.

The problem is that the player can't change those conditions manually, it's completely up to the War Score to decide, and it really doesn't determine whether or not the AI will accept those terms.

So a lot of players are getting stuck in perpetual wars that can't end unless you wipe your enemy out wholesale.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    One more item for the "Why More Games Need Paradox War Mechanics" list.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    While the base game has it's faults, I've come to like it. I'm actually rather excited for Rising Tide, seems like it will add alot of interesting choices. I do still wish we could build orbital warships and fight on the orbital layer.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Glyph wrote: »
    This is being seen in several Let's Plays.

Apparently the AI won't surrender if the War Score inflicts conditions that are too punishing, which kind of makes sense.

The problem is that the player can't change those conditions manually, it's completely up to the War Score to decide, and it really doesn't determine whether or not the AI will accept those terms.

So a lot of players are getting stuck in perpetual wars that can't end unless you wipe your enemy out wholesale.

So it seems as if Maybe they intend that if you hit the other civs that hard you need to be ready to finish them off?

Or might be a bug. Who knows.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    All I know about rising tide is that it has sea cities. And all I know about BE is that there is already too much space on the map. The game seems designed around having maybe 3 cities and not being able to place more but there is just space everywhere and the expansion is adding more space

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Why do you think that? I usually wind up with a huge sprawling empire of cities, but I plan for that.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Why do you think that? I usually wind up with a huge sprawling empire of cities, but I plan for that.
    Because the management of the empire becomes ridiculous and because the game is eminently winnable before that for any strat. I mean you can have a big huge empire of cities but that is the design failure.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    In my experience, infinite city sprawls are always one of the ways to win in a CIV game. Going tall with a small handful of cities works too.

The ability to go wide isn't a failure. That's one of the things that let's you know the game is working properly.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    I often enjoy having a vast empire of cities, so I'm glad that's a viable strategy.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Look, play civ 5 and see how far you get before you run into other players/border contests. Now look at BE. It's almost double even on the base map size!

It's not that you can go wide it's that there is no interaction to do so. You just can keep expanding because there is always space

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The Atlantean map really reduces the size of the land mass which puts you closer together. Obviously with sea cities that all just goes away again though.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Look, play civ 5 and see how far you get before you run into other players/border contests. Now look at BE. It's almost double even on the base map size!

It's not that you can go wide it's that there is no interaction to do so. You just can keep expanding because there is always space

Which is necessary for one of the win conditions. Even though that one is super fucking obnoxious to actually do.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Not for nothing, but IIRC, sea cities also broke the shit out of the original Alpha Centauri too. (And also Call to Power, if any of you remember that game.)

So, you know, if they're imba as shit in BE too, that'd be par for the course.

• Options
    I'm going to guess noone here is exactly excited for the forth coming expansion this Friday. For whatever reason, I am though and I think I might pick it up. It seems to me like it offers quite abit of content.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I am very excited, I am just super lazy and will be picking it up 'later'.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »
    I am very excited, I am just super lazy and will be picking it up 'later'.

I'm in the same boat. I am greatly looking forward to the expansion, but my attention is predominately elsewhere atm and I know a month from now my full attention will be devoted to Fallout. So I suppose I'll wait awhile and get it after at least the first big balance patch?

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I'm going to guess noone here is exactly excited for the forth coming expansion this Friday. For whatever reason, I am though and I think I might pick it up. It seems to me like it offers quite abit of content.

"Excited" might be overstatement, but I'm looking forward to it. I pre-ordered it on Steam because it was 10% off that way.

• Options
    I've been playing a few games of the base version lately and thinking about picking it up. Are there any other deals besides the 10% off on steam?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    I've been playing a few games of the base version lately and thinking about picking it up. Are there any other deals besides the 10% off on steam?
    GMG is 25% off. I picked it up, should be fun.

• Options
    Cant buy it through them, they don't have a license to sell to Australia apparently.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    The release announcement completely slipped by me apparently. Now I see it comes out in 2 days... well ok then!

I'm excited to try the hybrid units, especially purity/supremacy.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I wasn't that excited because I didn't know it came out tomorrow.

But I kind of like Beyond Earth better than Civ V, so now I'm getting excited because tomorrow is here quite soon, but not quickly enough.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    GMG is 25% off. I picked it up, should be fun.

GMG always makes my bank go nuts when I buy through them. Debating if the extra 5ish dollars off is worth the hassle.

I read PCG and IGN's reviews of Rising Tide. They give it abit above 70% each, IGN especially citing "a lack of replayability, the same problem the base game has" as the reason for the lower score. Yet they don't go into any detail as to what exactly makes Civ5 so replayable for them over BE. I find both to be very replayable, but BE just didn't have enough "stuff" in it to hold my attention as long. I've seen the expansion draw the criticism that the hybrids only really add "3 factions" to the game, but the thing is that BE isn't setup like Civ5 so comparing a sponsor / affinity combination to a Civ doesn't work IMO. They are very different. Which is better? I think it's more down to preference.

It's funny to me because Civ5 got the same kind of comments with G&K I believe. They mention how each game of Civ5 feels so much more fresh than each of BE. However the IGN reviewer acted like all the game has to offer is "beat the game once with each affinity or victory type", which to me doesn't make sense. From that perspective you could say the same about Civ5's victory conditions and that would ignore alot of what the game has. I feel BE's main faults were A) the three victory conditions for each faction are abit samey; B) tech web was kind of small; C) not enough unit types especially in the orbital layer (also why no freaking helicopters?); and finally D) not enough "sci-fi" elements to cities / buildings.

From what I've seen, Rising Tide addresses atleast most of these for me. A)Not really addressed I don't think; B)More stuff to research I think right? Works for me, addressed!; C)Hybrid affinities plus a few new types of units, addressed! (though still no freaking helicopters or orbital ships, grr); D) Building crazy movable water cities is very sci-fi coolness! I can see fun options like moving your city near your enemy's coastline to extend orbital coverage over them and blasting them with orbital sats and whatnot, totally addressed!

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    This has piqued my interest. The factions don't seem so generic, the graphics for the inbetweeners are good, and the sea stuff should help differentiate things from civ 5.

Also having more civs should help with the large maps feeling a bit empty.

• Options
    The patch today brought some nice UI improvements to the base game, really cleaned up the unit upgrade screen.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    What I found most absent in BE was the lack of natural wonders.

Natural wonders helped push me outside my comfort zone for colonization. Normally I wouldn't build the extra city in the strategically difficult to defend location with no notable industrial capacity. BUT I'VE GOTTA HAVE THAT FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The patch today brought some nice UI improvements to the base game, really cleaned up the unit upgrade screen.

I feel like they did some AI improvement as well. Felt more aggressive the bit I played today. The color coordination in the tech screen is huge too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

and I'm now reinstalling Civ5. Dammit.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

and I'm now reinstalling Civ5. Dammit.

You uninstall it?

I am waiting to see how the new expansion turns out for BE. I liked the game but the game is not as good as Civ5. And I play a shit ton of Civ5.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    That diplomacy system they've talked about so much? Currently bugged such that you cannot ever make peace with any AI once they declare war on you. Which apparently they will do randomly for seemingly no reason. Great...

If it's just a bug and they fix it soon no big deal. However it will really torque me if their new diplomacy system is so flawed they can't fix it and just didn't mention that until now.

Also some people are saying the AI loves to make land armies to try to fight your ocean stuff and boats to try to fight your land stuff. Oh Firaxis...

*Edit - I think the funny thing about AI diplomacy in Civ games has always been that they are trying to win, just like you, so permanent peace just does not make sense for them. Sure military peace might make sense at times and should be part of the game, but at no time should they ally with you and be buddies forever since they will inevitably lose to you anyways. However I think a join victory condition that is doubly hard to achieve would be a cool idea.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    where the hell is today's patch notes? I can not find them!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Yea, I've spent a while look myself. No dice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    That diplomacy system they've talked about so much? Currently bugged such that you cannot ever make peace with any AI once they declare war on you. Which apparently they will do randomly for seemingly no reason. Great...

If it's just a bug and they fix it soon no big deal. However it will really torque me if their new diplomacy system is so flawed they can't fix it and just didn't mention that until now.

Also some people are saying the AI loves to make land armies to try to fight your ocean stuff and boats to try to fight your land stuff. Oh Firaxis...

*Edit - I think the funny thing about AI diplomacy in Civ games has always been that they are trying to win, just like you, so permanent peace just does not make sense for them. Sure military peace might make sense at times and should be part of the game, but at no time should they ally with you and be buddies forever since they will inevitably lose to you anyways. However I think a join victory condition that is doubly hard to achieve would be a cool idea.

I've always hated the "There can be only one!" approach the Civ games have always taken. Joint victory conditions should be abundant.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Isn't that pretty much the whole point of team games?

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    That requires setting forced alliances tho; I'd prefer the option for that to happen organically in game.

Is time a gift or punishment?