As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] manual says to cut the third wire, but only if it's not blue!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Well I don't have a PS3. But I do have a PS2.

This is... interesting. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »
    Well I just picked up that quest and it seems to be the path forward. You called it first @SmokeStacks, do you want to hop on it? It's not very far in and you could probably wait till closer to Halloween and have time to build some hype. If not I can refresh my memory on how to do the Twitch thing and do it some evening this week. I'll hold off for now and go mess around in ARK and maybe poke a bit at Xenonauts the rest of this evening.

You're there already? I haven't played VTMB in quite a while now but it seems to me there were quite a few things to do in Santa Monica before that.

How long do you spend making your characters? I answered the quiz and plugged in my name. :wink:

I'm not at the location yet, just opened the quest. I left off
    Staring at a manhole cover. There's other quests open but some of it seems like it might be in a different area. Like I have a driver's licence an asian vampire dropped but the address doesn't seem to match anywhere I've been and there's a Skyline Apartment location I need to get to but none of the apartments in my area are Skyline and dude said it was "downtown". When those seemed to be dead ends for now I went to The Asylum and talked to the ladies and the one lady was like "go to the Ocean House and bring back the personal item. Here's a sewer key". So I found a manhole.

Obviously I have no idea how long it takes to traverse these sewers and maybe I find this downtown along the way and have things to do there. But I've picked up the quest.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    You have to have a PS1 memory card to save, however. I don't recall if the optional HDD could handle PS1 saves, though.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I'm on episode 12 of Resident Evil: Revelations. I believe that's the last one.

In other words: holy crap I might finish another game?

Why. Why would you announce this?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    You have to have a PS1 memory card to save, however. I don't recall if the optional HDD could handle PS1 saves, though.

One advantage to the PS3 - it handles it on the HDD.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Woot!
    Had a birthday, got my CNA certification and finished with Far Cry 3 this past week. Feeling, kinda sorta OK~♪
    Now; need to look for a job, save for a med-aid program, and start playing Final Fantasy Type-0.

But first...
    gonna watch the ungodly kickass anime premiere of One Punch Man for the umpteenth time! :D

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Well I don't have a PS3. But I do have a PS2.

This is... interesting. :D

Oh shit! Pick up Tenchu 1 and 2 and a copy of Bushido Blade. Best games ever.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I've taken a break from throwing myself at Skyshine's BEDLAM and screaming "Why don't you love meeeee!?" to have a gander at something I think will really interest those who pray at the altar of our Lord and Saviour 'Turn-Based Procedural Generation Roguelike' (blessed be thy name)

ti_logoBanner_01.gif

This is a game 18 Alpha updates into Early Access so YMMV depending on how cool you are with playing games that are functionally working well, but not quite feature complete.

You play as a person of historical repute (think Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, the dude from Lawrence of Arabia) exploring the Old World for fame and glory in competition against 5 other intrepid explorers. The Old World tends to take on mythic, fantastical status aligned with exaggerations you might have made yourself while bragging about your exploits to fellow intellectuals at a Gentleman's Club while swirling a snifter of brandy. In this way it takes inspiration from CoJ Gunslinger.

Explorer: ... And when we stole the sacred items from the temple, the ground beneath our feet began to shake violently and fall away into a gaping chasm!
    Colleague: By golly George, how did you escape!?
    Explorer: Quite easily old chap, we'd earlier procured domesticated Raptors from a wisened beastmaster and rode to safety.
    Colleague: Domesticated Raptors?
    Explorer: Yes! Are you such a simpleton that you didn't believe in Raptors? Haw-haw-haww my goodness gracious you are a foolish, foolish man

The game is fun both when it plays it straight (dealing with native tribes, searching for hidden treasure, fending off wild animals) and when it decides to go off the deep-end. They work seamlessly within each other as the game mechanics unveil themselves.

Your party has a given amount of Sanity that is a consumed resources as you travel through terrain. Rougher terrains such as thick jungle and mountains take more sanity to move through than an open plane, but consumable items such as machetes and ropes reduce this effect. Sanity can be regain by consumables such as whiskey (the Scottish Solider provides an additional buff for whiskey, which is amazing) and by resting in nature, tribal villages or missionaries. Each has their own risks when resting though, as I found out recently (minor spoilers if you don't want me to spoil some fun)
    Early on in the expedition, I uncovered a tomb of mummies. After investigating them, I found one that was worth strapping onto the back of my donkey to take home. About a month later I came across a village and desperately needed to recover my Sanity. On of my followers spoke their language and were able to guarantee us safety in the village. However, we were awoken in the middle of the night by an enraged chiefton who had discovered my carelessly forgotten mummy that was on the back of the donkey. Either I had to give it up or fight to the death. Regrettably I gave the mummy up to avoid the fight and I learned a valuable lesson. Don't forget where you strap your mummies!

The game has the hallmark of a great TBPGRL game (what an awful acronym) - interesting choices to make each and every turn. Not every move is critical to get right (hell, when the wheels start to fall off this game gets hilarious), but it is important to sift through and mull over each decision to make sure your overall strategy for the expedition has a chance of success.

I highly recommend this to anyone in the market for a contemplative rogue-like with a lot of character.

Oh I nearly forgot - in my latest run my pack donkey was called Mr Clifford. Brilliant!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    Woot!
    Had a birthday, got my CNA certification and finished with Far Cry 3 this past week. Feeling, kinda sorta OK~♪
    Now; need to look for a job, save for a med-aid program, and start playing Final Fantasy Type-0.

But first...
    gonna watch the ungodly kickass anime premiere of One Punch Man for the umpteenth time! :D

That's awesome news! Completing Far Cry 3 woo! Another game off your backlog.

Oh and I guess your CNA certification is just as good.. or something. ;)

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    So...Assault Android Cactus...

Medulla...why do you have to do me dirty like that?

Like, see, i finally figured out a way to semi-consistently get through the second form (get up real close, where the bullets are thinnest, then try to weave back through the lanes as they're pulled closer to the body. i still take hits, but only get knocked down sometimes, rather than everytime). Keeping up with the swarms of wasps saw me through the fauxVespulla, though the extra time it took put me pretty close to a dead battery. The third form is a cinch, and fauxJustice is a joke with Starch. The fourth form was tough, but i managed to take it out with a bit of energy to spare.

i'd done it! Took out Medulla! It's giant metal eyestalk lying flaccid on the ground like a metaphor i'll leave you to come up with.

Woot! i was stoked. i took a screenshot.

And then....
    i'm in Geometry Wars Retro. Fighting swarms of (admittedly easy) enemies who don't drop anything. And a big glowy, scribbly ball that i assume is Medulla's true form. That doesn't show any reaction to being shot.

So my battery goes dead, as it will, and that's that.

The next three attempts, back to not getting past fauxVespula, and then time to go to work.

We hates you Medulla, we hates you so much.

In BLPs, that dropship boss...that was also a friggen pain in the rump. At least we made it past it in the end, though.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    PA G&T Adventure Team chat broke again

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    In addition to breaking chat, @Viking apparently likes breaking other things.

oDM9utu.png

I've heard this described by someone as FTL-like. In fact, it may even have been by @Viking. However, he's clearly wrong. There was no birthday or celebratory event that could have justified it.

Thanks <3

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    @Antoshka apparently not one to let things be has given me Broken Age which looks really cool.

I backed this for my mother who loves point and click, she really enjoyed it. But I have not played it myself so this should be fun.

Huge thanks KiwiBro

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Axiom Verge is pretty dang great.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    All right then.

Halloween appropriate @SmokeStacks charity stream of VTMB?

Oh man, I am down.

How much gameplay is there before that level? Would I need to get a character/game going beforehand and stop at that point, or is it not too far from the beginning?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    All right then.

Oh man, I am down.

How much gameplay is there before that level? Would I need to get a character/game going beforehand and stop at that point, or is it not too far from the beginning?

It's one of the first missions, basically.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Is the DLC for Shadow of Mordor worth grabbing? CDkeys has both the normal and GOTY versions for cheap, wondering which one to get.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Is the DLC for Shadow of Mordor worth grabbing? CDkeys has both the normal and GOTY versions for cheap, wondering which one to get.

It's pretty non-essential, IMO.

The two big dlc packs (the rest are just player skins and weapon upgrades) are basically stand-alone adventures focused on new sets of mechanics and take place in the existing levels.

Lord of the Hunt is basically a side-story focusing on new beast and minion mechanics. It was pretty inconsequential towards the greater story and you basically start off fully powered (and then get a couple of new, beast related skills)

The Bright Lord is a prequel that sets up some of the overarching plot of the game and focuses more on mind control mechanics. I forget if you start out fully upgraded.

They're basically just "more of the game" packs. If you liked playing the game, they're a reason to play more of the game.

• Options
    All right then.

Oh man, I am down.

Couple hours in, depending on how you play and how much you do in Santa Monica first.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Trying to grab a quick Oil Rig piece for Gutgarsh's fortress before starting my workday, a wild chat window appears with a mysterious character string...

TQVYzss.jpg

Thanks, @Isorn for Braveland! This looks charming and seems to be garnering good reviews. I'm sort of in the market for a palette cleanser game right now (Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic is not really grabbing me) between Mad Max sessions. This, which looks to the bill nicely, is perfectly timed.

Thanks so much! <3

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    So I played some VTMB a while ago, but never made it to the ocean house. I remember the beach house and the clinic, and maybe some sewers stuff? If I've gone through and read all the spoilers in this thread, I assume there's no point in playing through it now?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    f3rret wrote: »
    So I played some VTMB a while ago, but never made it to the ocean house. I remember the beach house and the clinic, and maybe some sewers stuff? If I've gone through and read all the spoilers in this thread, I assume there's no point in playing through it now?

Still plenty of reason to play. Ocean House is in the opening third of the game, ton more game after that.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    i don't even know if i have ever installed/looked at VTMB, I mean i think i might own it, but that is pretty much as far as I have went with it.

wrong about that

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Wait.

I have my kid's Playstation 2 still sitting around here collecting dust. Can a PS2 play PS1 games? Like, could I track down some of the older Resident Evil games and still play them.... ?

Yep!

PS3s can play PS1 games, too!

I thought it depended on the version, some early PS3s were backward compatible but it depended on the hard drive size or something like that?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Its the best Metroid homage, crazy that it was 100% one guy doing everything.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Wait.

I have my kid's Playstation 2 still sitting around here collecting dust. Can a PS2 play PS1 games? Like, could I track down some of the older Resident Evil games and still play them.... ?

Yep!

I thought it depended on the version, some early PS3s were backward compatible but it depended on the hard drive size or something like that?

That's the PS3's PS2 compatibility you're thinking of. The first models had hardware-based PS2 compatibility; the next round of consoles (with 80GB HDs) had software-based compatibility and it was not 100%. The third model removed PS2 compatibility altogether, but as far as I know, all PS1 games still work on all PS3s.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Daimar wrote: »
    Wait.

Yep!

I think, if you're going for PS1 games, all PS3s work. The backwards compatible issue is for the PS2 games and, unless you have one of the old fat ones, they are not at all backwards compatible unless you acquire the game through the Playstation Store.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    There I was, wishing Shade a happy birthday, as we do, when he opened fire for no reason!*

http://imgur.com/a/EvuS0

*It is not my birthday. It is Shade's birthday!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    https://youtu.be/1k9a-RaWlMo
    Trailer for Murder, the follow up game from Peter Moorhead, the guy that made Stranded. It's describing itself as a short story, so it's likely not very long, but it's only going to be 3 bucks anyway. Comes out on the 21st.

I will take me some more cyberpunk point and clicks.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    So my RL buddy FINALLY finished building his PC. He hasn't had a new PC for like, 12 years. Which means he has 12 years worth of Steam games that are completely new to him. He's employed, with a family, so he doesn't have a huge amount of gaming time. I have no idea what I should gift him first, there are so many options.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    You should give him something real pretty that'll make use of his new PC's hardware.

• Options
    Give him something buggy as shit so he thinks something is wrong with his brand new PC and he is filled with regret.

• Options
    Antoshka wrote: »
    I'm on episode 12 of Resident Evil: Revelations. I believe that's the last one.

In other words: holy crap I might finish another game?

Why. Why would you announce this?

Because even though there be monsters, this is still a gaming thread where we talk about games and buying of games and playing of games and... occasionally... the finishing of games. I manage to finish them so rarely that I get excited when I do. And nobody in my house cares, so I have to tell all my friends that live in my PC. That means you guys.

Besides, at this point my backlog is so ginormous that there's nothing you jerks can do to me any more. It's like the universe - too vast to properly conceive of, so it's almost like it's not real. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Argh, no PZ patch this week. Now I have to pick something else to play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

As the resident expert, how is The Long Dark coming along?

Also, did your friend have a console before? If so, I would suggest something where the console wasn't an option

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options

Also, did your friend have a console before? If so, I would suggest something where the console wasn't an option

There's a new zone in The Long Dark since I've played last... that might be a good option!

And yeah, he has a 360, nothing newer than that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Its the best Metroid homage, crazy that it was 100% one guy doing everything.

Better than Shadow Complex?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular

There's a new zone in The Long Dark since I've played last... that might be a good option!

Make him regret buying a PC. Buy him Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin and then post his Steam details here.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options

Make him regret buying a PC. Buy him Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin and then post his Steam details here.

Besides that being a difficult game, how would that make him regret buying a PC?

He doesn't have a lot of time to be active on forums, so I doubt he'll be making an appearance here.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i think it was so people could invade him over and over and over and over and over

camo_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.