As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car Trouble 2013 Chevy Cruise: Whining noise

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
So I own a 2013 but don't drive it often, leaving that to my family. Hooray being a breadwinner. It was bought new off the lot and has had no accidents. Oil is at 23% lifespan.

I fire it up for the first time in 5 days and notice a whining sound when I start accelerating or cruising (no pun intended). When I break, the noise immediately ceases. I tried this on flat areas, on a downward slope, upward slopes.

Accelerating ----> Noise
Cruising ----> Noise
Breaking ----> Noise ceases.

I haven't paid much attention to RPM's as its too crowded this time of day, but I wanted to figure what your advice was. I have a theory and it sounds expensive.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Probably your wheel bearings.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Before we condemn wheel bearings, I'd like you to try 3 things:

1: Confirm the noise isn't RPM / Engine related by checking if the noise happens when stationary. If the noise is there when parked, it could be something different.
    2: Find a secluded road that you can get up to the 40-50 MPH range (70-80 KPH) and serpentine left and right. See if the noise gets louder or softer in either direction. If it does, note the direction, and we'll have confirmed wheel bearing.
    3: If the noise doesn't seem to be affected by loading it up side to side, try slowing the vehicle down by using the parking brake. If the noise isn't affected with the parking brake, it's likely related to your front brakes. If it IS affected, we'll be looking rear!

Lemme know, PM me if you want. I'm usually pretty scarce over the weekends on this forum, but i'll try to keep touching in if you need some more help.

Happy diagnosing!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    We haven't had a chance to test the speed and RPMS, but the noise did change volume at 30 to 40 as we wiggled. Then it went away until we drove up our really steep hill.

Will acquire more data tomorrow.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Take a look at the brake pads, might be time to change them.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    timing belts can also emit a whine-like noise

odds are a mechanic can identify it in a heartbeat by listening to it, and many places will do free consults

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    You have to record yourself making the noise for us before we can help you though!

/cartalk

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    It's also still under warranty, yes?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I would hope it's not the timing belt after only 2 years.

that said, do NOT hold off on replacing the timing belt! If it snaps, it can take your engine with it. The belt on my 2000 Focus snapped and it was estimated at 5k to replace the engine parts it broke. I junked the car because literally everything else was already broken on it. (effing lemon)

• Options
    Before we all start suggesting the things it COULD be, lets keep some perspective. Suggesting all of the things it MIGHT be is daunting to a person who is unfamiliar with the vehicle, so lets just take this one step at a time.

Figgy is also correct in suggesting that this vehicle is VERY likely still under warranty. Depending on the in-service date and the mileage, the car will have a basic warranty of 3 years, 36,000 Mi (bumper to bumper, which will include things like wheel bearings). The car will also have a 5 year, 100,0000 mi warranty on the powertrain, which will include the timing components.

Also, depending on the engine equipped with the vehicle, it may not even have a timing belt (1.4L Turbo version of the Cruze has a timing chain, which does not require regular maintenance).

We haven't heard from the OP in a couple days, so maybe the car has magically healed itself!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Before we all start suggesting the things it COULD be, lets keep some perspective. Suggesting all of the things it MIGHT be is daunting to a person who is unfamiliar with the vehicle, so lets just take this one step at a time.

Figgy is also correct in suggesting that this vehicle is VERY likely still under warranty. Depending on the in-service date and the mileage, the car will have a basic warranty of 3 years, 36,000 Mi (bumper to bumper, which will include things like wheel bearings). The car will also have a 5 year, 100,0000 mi warranty on the powertrain, which will include the timing components.

Also, depending on the engine equipped with the vehicle, it may not even have a timing belt (1.4L Turbo version of the Cruze has a timing chain, which does not require regular maintenance).

We haven't heard from the OP in a couple days, so maybe the car has magically healed itself!
    Every time someone says the noise went away, it is followed by a catastrophic incident a couple months later.

• Options
    Lol, I was being facetious. Unless this Cruze is the reincarnation of the 1983 horror movie gem Christine, in which case please be careful, Royce.

• Options
    Sweet Jesus people, calm down. I work two jobs and don't exactly have time to sort this all out at once. But yeah, warranty is something I will call about in the morning.

• Options
    Update, saw a warning about tire pressure from Onstar, refilled all tires and the sound went away.

Then for the past week, started hissing when I did brake, rather than accelerate.

This morning, the brakes started grinding 20 minutes into our commute to my job, this was after a lot of driving last night and a whole week of activity.

$371 for break pad repair monday, very slow driving till then.

I need a big salary and a vacation.

• Options
    So original noise was tires under inflated, and you got a new noise within a week which was brakes going steel on steel? That's a shitty break, Royce. :bigfrown:

• Options
    We live on a hill with a series of step inclines going down. The sort you avoid in snow. My bike had literally chewed through several sets on the front tire, so this is not a surprising development after 50K

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    $370 for a brake repair, you got off light

some brake shops wont let you leave for less than a grand

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So I own a 2013 but don't drive it often, leaving that to my family. Hooray being a breadwinner. It was bought new off the lot and has had no accidents. Oil is at 23% lifespan.

I fire it up for the first time in 5 days and notice a whining sound when I start accelerating or cruising (no pun intended). When I break, the noise immediately ceases. I tried this on flat areas, on a downward slope, upward slopes.

Accelerating ----> Noise
    Cruising ----> Noise
    Breaking ----> Noise ceases.

I haven't paid much attention to RPM's as its too crowded this time of day, but I wanted to figure what your advice was. I have a theory and it sounds expensive.

Is there a teenager/preteen in the back seat?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    And now it struggled to start up, and the turn signals sound off tempo. Duck, duck, duck.

• Options
    Probably ghosts. In my professional opinion.

• Options
    Damn, sea fair is over so the pirates are gone.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Probably ghosts. In my professional opinion.

I wouldn't rule out gremlins. I saw a documentary about World War 2 era Bugs Bunny having to deal with them.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    And now it struggled to start up, and the turn signals sound off tempo. Duck, duck, duck.

Battery may be on its way out, last winter was not kind to them.

Turns signals off tempo usually means you have a light burned out somewhere. Put your hazard flashers on and walk around the car, see if you can spot the one that's missing. Should be a $5 fix, tops.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    Now it won't start, the starter I believe. Just called out to my temp assignment and I'm worried they will think I quit rather than suck one more day and be dismissed. Still have to travel all the way out there to get them to sign me out anyway.