As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CODENAMES - Ten games completed! That's all for now.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Just played this after a family dinner with a table of my aunts and uncles.

They loved it and demanded I bring it back for Thanksgiving. :rotate:

Knew it would be good with this group, they like the split into teams family games, and they don't have to know a bunch of rules, just play. (Unlike my other games. They were all OH NO, HERE COMES INFIDEL WITH ONE OF HIS GAMES...)

OrokosPA.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    For the record, these are sunbeds.

Also that green clue was really bad and I apologise.
    I was attempting to try a strategy where I name broad categories that fit many words, and then overlay that with another category that fits many words, and then the intersection of the two clues is the entirety of our words.
    But 'green' matched far too many words, and encouraged backwards logic where a clue from a later word is massaged to fit into the previous category (sun matches cell, and solar energy is green too! I was hoping cell would be matched last, but once solar cell had been thought of, solar cell matches green. But green doesn't match cell otherwise.).

Then it didn't help that you guys hadn't heard of sun beds. And so couldn't make that connection and then think 'garden beds are green'.
    Which is probably a localisation thing.
    As green giant would have been, if it weren't for the fact that American media pervades Australian media so much that I knew about the connection, even though I've never seen that ad myself.

The only other thing that was tenuous was the 'oil - sun' clue, but that was meant to reflect tanning oil/sun block etc and/or also the company Sun Oil, which is now Sunoco.

Signup again, looking to go 3 -3 -3 next time for clues instead of saying Green

From our family game, I saw a really good clue, and then my cousin (the other spymaster who's turn it was) also thought of it. Fuck.

Train, 3.

Their last three words, needed to win it in that turn or lose: Track, Switch, Soul

OrokosPA.png
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    @discrider: On the turn you said "MASSAGE", "TANNING" may have been a better clue. Also, giving a number instead of ":Unlimited" might have worked better if you didn't think that Hedgethorn would be able to put together a clue to get his team's remaining three - if you had said ":2", then your team would still have a bonus guess to narrow things down for the next time around. You can be ambitious, but there is such a thing as being too ambitious and spreading yourself too thin.

Looks like with discrider's re-sign up, we're at seven players on the signup list. I'll keep signups open until at least the morning time to allow other folks, especially folks that are new, the opportunity to play.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Eh...
    In that circumstance, unlimited carried the same meaning as 2 in my mind.
    Why would I make a single clue relationship with 4 clues still to guess?

I won't say that ":Unlimited" was a wrong play to take, I can see where your thought process was going. But if you believe that you can get another turn and do not need to go for broke to catch everything at once, providing a solid number can be more helpful for your operatives. This is especially true if you sense that your operatives are not certain on all of the past words that they missed on prior turns. Nab three things securely on this turn, then clean up your final word on the next. Of course, it all depends on the state of the board, but it is a strategic consideration to have in mind as a spymaster.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2015
    Well yes.
    I hadn't realised that 'sun bed' might not have been a common term though, and thought it was simply 'green garden bed' that was being obtuse.
    So I thought 'massage - oil and bed' was obvious enough without needing to specify 2, especially as 3 or 4 allowed my team the same amount of guesses as unlimited with 4 clues remaining, and so 2 related clues could be safely assumed via deduction.

discrider on
  • PredaPreda Registered User regular
    I'm sorry to have missed the end of the game, but work has been hectic all last week. I'll skip the next one for the same reason and Sign Up for eventual game 5.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Sorry to my team; I found it very difficult to connect 'microscope' to any of my other words. I had hoped someone knew about jewelry microscopes or made the connection that microscopes are used to examine the crust of the earth. Alas. (I was also slightly thwarted by my phone's autocorrect -- the clue was supposed to be' 'jewelers', not 'jewelery'. But I don't know how much of a difference it would have made.)

Hedgethorn on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    That would've helped some, probably, tbh, but yeah, that was a pretty tricky board for us. Good try!

I'll be back, but not for the next one.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I just realized that I missed a name my first time through the thread, so we do have eight people for the next game. I'll put the game up tonight, but there'll still be about eight hours for more folks to sign up and get in on the lottery.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Sign up for possible future games. I'll skip this next one, since i was lucky enough to play in back-to-back games.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    What time is it? It's go time.

Game 4 Start

Red Team
    @Polaritie (Spymaster)
    @Kaneski
    @Infidel
    @Teucrian

Blue Team
    @CesareB (Spymaster)
    @azith28
    @Jam Warrior
    @discrider

codenames_game04_t01.png~original
    OLIVE
    BUFFALO
    FLUTE
    KING
    SCORPION

MOLE
    LEAD
    SHAKESPEARE
    KANGAROO
    MARBLE

PIRATE
    GROUND
    LAWYER
    FILE
    TRACK

CROWN
    NIGHT
    KEY
    CIRCLE
    KETCHUP

MAMMOTH
    TAP
    FILM
    BAT
    SWITCH
    Red Team starts this game; @Polaritie has the first clue.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Lear: 4

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited October 2015
    Well, King.

After that, I don't know that we have three more agents that are separately related to "lear", looks like the rest might be "King Lear" more as the clue?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    Shakespeare, Crown, Film?

OrokosPA.png
    Infidel wrote: »
    Well, King.
    KING is a Red Agent!

Red operatives may make up to four more guesses.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Shakespeare and Crown - definite. Not sure about Film - too general... chewing on it while me make the other guesses.

Contact - Shakespeare

edited October 2015
    SHAKESPEARE is a Red Agent!

Red operatives may make up to three more guesses.

Polaritie on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular

Just not really feeling the other words, film seems to be good on the surface. Anything else is maybe deeper into this than intended and I feel may be coincidental something they didn't notice when giving the clue.

Great board/clue, btw.

OrokosPA.png
  • TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    Lead is also a possibility. I think I like that more than film.

If he wanted to get to king and Shakespeare but not lead there are plenty of options.

Ah, as in lead role. I like that.

Crown, then Lead?

OrokosPA.png
    The only other thing I can think of is that Lear goes batshit, so 'marbles'. Or the loss thereof. Bit of a stretch, I know. Lead or Film far more likely.

To keep it moving: Contact - Crown

CROWN is a Red Agent!

Red operatives may make up to two more guesses.

Passing is also an option here - we normally get 1 bonus guess with every clue, and our discussions should make it clear to the spymaster that we got it narrowed to 2 things. We can either get an additional clue, or get the other spymaster/team to knock out one of the possibles.

We could always leave it for one of our guesses later in the game, yeah. Take the good start?

OrokosPA.png
  • TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    I agree with passing.

Pass

OrokosPA.png
  • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    BLUE TEAM CLUE: Rat - 4

@azith28
    @Jam Warrior
    @discrider

Mole rat seems likely.
    Flute for Pied Piper perhaps.
    Pirate has 'rat' in it and so is probably an invalid syntactical clue in this game.

Lawyer also works well if we want to be mean about it.

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Mole is a Blue Agent

Blue team has 4 guesses remaining.

'Kangaroo rat' is also an animal.
    I'd suggest Kangaroo next, unless we think perhaps that's too esoteric.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Bats are often called flying rats. I would say bats should be next.

I would also think hes speaking metaphorically. Lawyer.

I'll go along with flute too, but save it for last.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I reckon bat, flute, kangaroo, in that order.

MhCw7nZ.gif