As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @crimsoncoyote too late to put my hat in the ring?

Nope!
    I'll add you to the post. Will @Fuselage be joining us as well? If not, I can still have you guys face each other week 1 and give someone a bye (probably me :P ).

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular

Nope!
    I'll add you to the post. Will @Fuselage be joining us as well? If not, I can still have you guys face each other week 1 and give someone a bye (probably me :P ).

I'm not entirely willing to commit to this tournament, but I'm okay with that arrangement and may participate in the future.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    edited October 2015
    Fuselage wrote: »

Nope!

I'm not entirely willing to commit to this tournament, but I'm okay with that arrangement and may participate in the future.

No problem! I'll make it happen.

I'll have the schedule up by this afternoon.

Edit: OK sooner than that.

crimsoncoyote on
    Star Wars: Episode VIII====D
    The Penny Arcade X-Wang Miniatures League Season 3: A New Dawng

Skirmishes continue to break out throughout the galaxy. The evil GALACTIC EMPIRE has
    begun to spread toward the Outer Rim, kicking the hives of SCUM AND VILLAINY,
    bringing a third faction into the everlasting battle for control of the galaxy.

The war escalates further as new machines of death emerge.
    The Emperor himself joins the battle on his Imperial Raider.
    Bounty hunters join the fray. A new threat in the First Order sends its new TIEs
    and the Resistance sends its first prototype T-70 X-Wings to counter.

Generals new and old prepare for battle.
    Commander @Grunt's Ghosts assembles Nimbles and his Suicide Squadron.
    Vice Admiral @crimsoncoyote collects the creds for his hired scum.
    Admiral @Elvenshae briefs his rag-tag group of Rebels. Rear Admiral @Sokpuppet
    develops before-unseen strategies in his bunker on Hoth.
    Lieutenant Commander @webguy20 loads his ships for bear.
    Ensigns @DaMoonRulz and @Fuselage spar in the Outer Rim.
    And @Chrysis and @D0rkAngl enter the battle with surprise on their side…

Here are the matchups for the entire season! They are separated by "rounds" and dated weekly, but this is by no means a hard-and-fast schedule. Feel free to ask a future opponent to play sooner if your current matchup has scheduling conflicts.

!! Don't forget to post your results to the thread !!

1st Round: Oct 5-Oct11

2nd Round: Oct 12-Oct 18
    Sokpuppet vs. crimsoncoyote
    D0rkAngl vs. DaMoonRulz
    Elvenshae vs. webguy20
    Chrysis vs. Grunt's Ghosts

3rd Round: Oct 19-Oct 25
    crimsoncoyote vs. D0rkAngl
    Sokpuppet vs. Elvenshae
    DaMoonRulz vs. Chrysis
    webguy20 vs. Grunt's Ghosts

4th Round: Oct 26-Nov 1
    Elvenshae vs. crimsoncoyote
    Chrysis vs. D0rkAngl
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. Sokpuppet
    webguy20 vs. DaMoonRulz

5th Round: Nov 2-Nov 8
    crimsoncoyote vs. Chrysis
    Elvenshae vs. Grunt's Ghosts
    D0rkAngl vs. webguy20
    Sokpuppet vs. DaMoonRulz

6th Round: Nov 9-Nov 15
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. crimsoncoyote
    webguy20 vs. Chrysis
    DaMoonRulz vs. Elvenshae
    Sokpuppet vs. D0rkAngl

7th Round: Nov 16-Nov 22
    crimsoncoyote vs. webguy20
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. DaMoonRulz
    Chrysis vs. Sokpuppet
    Elvenshae vs. D0rkAngl

• D0rkAnglD0rkAngl Lynnwood, WARegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    D0rkAngl wrote: »
    OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE

Well, yes. But ... before that happens, will you truly live?

• D0rkAnglD0rkAngl Lynnwood, WARegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Maybe? But I'm almost certainly going to spend some money on X-Wing minis on the way home from work today. It remains to be seen if my wife will kill me before or after @Grunt's Ghosts

Maybe? But I'm almost certainly going to spend some money on X-Wing minis on the way home from work today. It remains to be seen if my wife will kill me before or after "Grunt's Ghosts"
    Ok so. You're going against GG, right?

He's got some named TIEs. You know, the ones with the special pilot abilities.

Your instincts might tell you to take those out first.
    Your instincts are dead wrong. You take out the Academy Pilots first. Full stop. You lay down your goddamned life to take out those pilots birthed directly from the Hellmouth before anything else.

May the Force be with you. You're going to need it.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2015

Maybe? But I'm almost certainly going to spend some money on X-Wing minis on the way home from work today. It remains to be seen if my wife will kill me before or after "Grunt's Ghosts"

Your instincts are dead wrong. You take out the Academy Pilots first. Full stop. You lay down your goddamned life to take out those pilots birthed directly from the Hellmouth before anything else.

Or just use some assault missiles and kill them all at once!

4x tie advanced x/1, accuracy correctorsx4, assault missilesx3!

Morkath on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

I see Nimbles still has you bitter. Give into your Hate. Come to the Dark Side.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    So having initiative lets you both move first and shoot first on matching pilot skill.

Moving first seems...not great? Unless you're specifically trying to block, I guess.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

So having initiative lets you both move first and shoot first on matching pilot skill.

Moving first seems...not great? Unless you're specifically trying to block, I guess.

shooting first is its own reward as well

shooting first is its own reward as well

Yeah, but I play Imperials, so I get initiative most of the time anyways

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Moving first also guarantees you get an action, and can't be blocked. It depends on the ship and positioning as to how beneficial it is.

Sometimes I think that's why Advanced Sensors is useful - if you know the chances of bumping are high it really pays to get that action.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    OK, we've got the autoblaster turret question. I think it's the card. Says hit can't be cancelled by dice, and crits have to be cancelled before hits.

Can you roll dice to cancel crits?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    OK, we've got the autoblaster turret question. I think it's the card. Says hit can't be cancelled by dice, and crits have to be cancelled before hits.

Yep.

I see!

@Fuselage beat me. He can say his list, I was running Carnor, Turr, and two Alpha Squad (whatever the basic Squint pilots are). Aces with Swarm tactics and everyone with auto thrusters.

Early on I think I may have skipped a guy's movement turn because the wingmen didn't really stick together.

He had the clever idea of Y-Wings with Ion and his Hwk with the pilot that lets you damage a ship when it takes ion damage. I didnt prioritize targets well, and should have taken that out first.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I see!

@Fuselage beat me. He can say his list, I was running Carnor, Turr, and two Alpha Squad (whatever the basic Squint pilots are). Aces with Swarm tactics and everyone with auto thrusters.

Early on I think I may have skipped a guy's movement turn because the wingmen didn't really stick together.

He had the clever idea of Y-Wings with Ion and his Hwk with the pilot that lets you damage a ship when it takes ion damage. I didnt prioritize targets well, and should have taken that out first.

I've got to say that I definitely had the fear in me, I haven't faced down four Interceptors before and the intimidation factor was there. That, and my flying through asteroids was less than precision. Also this was my first time using the Autoblaster Turret and that confused the heck out of me - luckily I kept my Hwk easily at optimum range for an Ion or Blaster turret but only got one shot off the whole match due to conservative flying. Still, Dace stayed within range for his pilot ability the whole time. I suppose my horrifying moment of the game was having my Z-95 obliterated on one turn by the barrage of expertly placed lasers.

Hwk 290 - Dace Bonearm
    -Autoblaser Turrest
    -Moldy Crow Title
    -K4 Security Droid

Z-95 - N'dru Suhlak
    -Predator

Y-Wing - Syndicate Thug
    -Ion Cannon Turret
    -Salvaged Astromech

Y-Wing - Syndicate Thug
    -Ion Cannon Turret
    -BTL-A4 Y-Wing Title
    - Unhinged Astromech

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    edited October 2015
    Whats the thought behind the autoblaster on the Hwk instead of the BTL Ywing?

Seems like it would be useful to swap the turrets on those two.

e:
    Also I found some miniatures that are the perfect scale for infantry in X-Wing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0157SLTYK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Going to paint 3 in rebel colors and 3 as storm troopers I think.

I am thinking, 1 attack die, only damages on a crit. 3 defense die, 1 hull.

Morkath on
    Morkath wrote: »
    Whats the thought behind the autoblaster on the Hwk instead of the BTL Ywing?

Seems like it would be useful to swap the turrets on those two.

e:
    Also I found some miniatures that are the perfect scale for infantry in X-Wing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0157SLTYK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Going to paint 3 in rebel colors and 3 as storm troopers I think.

I am thinking, 1 attack die, only damages on a crit. 3 defense die, 1 hull.

Honestly I've always thought it would be cool (and wasteful) to glue a squad of Micro Machines rebels or stormtroopers onto a cardboard/plastic template for use as ground troops.

As far as Ion vs Autoblaster BTL...I don't have many solid answers. I wanted to have the best shot of ionizing one or more of his fighters so I had good options of who to pick on. In hindsight, swapping out those turrets would have given me way more damage output since that Y-Wing was a primary target in the thick of it anyway. Some day I'll have this Twin Laser Turret everybody keeps talking about.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    It also guarantees you are able to use Dace's ability, since he has his own Ion.

Just something to think about when making future lists!

The autoblaster isn't a bad choice, especially against thrusterd squints!

edited October 2015
    Anyone have time this afternoon (1500-1800) eastern time to help me get used to Vassal before the next round?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited October 2015
    @Morkath

HWK-290: · Dace Bonearm (23)
    Ion Cannon Turret (5)
    K4 Security Droid (3)

Y-Wing: Syndicate Thug (18)
    Autoblaster Turret (2)
    BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)
    Unhinged Astromech (1)

Y-Wing: · Kavil (24)
    Marksmanship (3)
    Autoblaster Turret (2)
    Hull Upgrade (3)
    R4 Agromech (2)

Z-95 Headhunter: Binayre Pirate (12)
    Feedback Array (2)

But if I had two Zs with Feedback Array, one Kavil rolling 3 dice on an Autoblaster, and Dace doing his thing, those Interceptors would get shredded.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    @Morkath

Ion Cannon Turret (5)
    K4 Security Droid (3)

Autoblaster Turret (2)
    BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)
    Unhinged Astromech (1)

Marksmanship (3)
    Autoblaster Turret (2)
    Hull Upgrade (3)
    R4 Agromech (2)

Feedback Array (2)

But if I had two Zs with Feedback Array, one Kavil rolling 3 dice on an Autoblaster, and Dace doing his thing, those Interceptors would get shredded.

Not if I kill your guys first!

@Elvenshae I need to go to Best Buy to get my computer's WiFi working again and then I'll get in vent.

Should I get a PCI WiFi card or just one of those USB dongles? Anyone have experience with the dongles?

Dongles.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I won't be able to do Vent, since I'm at work and I'll be helping on my lunch break.

I used a tiny wifi dongle on my main PC while I was camping out at my parents' house for a couple of months, and had absolutely no issues with it. It was this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IFXQFU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

@DaMoonRulz you'd definitely murder my Hwk super quick if we did this again, but I think my guys would fare better individually than last time.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I've been using a dongle on my PC for years because I'm horribly lazy.
    No complaints about it aside from having another cable to dick with if I need to relocate my system.

@DaMoonRulz you'd definitely murder my Hwk super quick if we did this again, but I think my guys would fare better individually than last time.

Yeah, your Headhunter getting insta-vaped was just lucky rolling.

However, I also had some cold dice later on that should have taken out the Y-Wings, so who can say

3basnids3lf9.jpg

@DaMoonRulz never mind that fodder, the new Vassal update includes the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster stuff, so we can enjoy Space Co-Op.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I paired autoblaster with the Ten Numb B-Wing to hilarious effect.

Ten Numb: When attacking, 1 of your critical results cannot be canceled by defense dice.

Autoblaster: Your hit results cannot be canceled by defense dice.

Nearly unstoppable!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Aioua wrote: »

Ten Numb: When attacking, 1 of your critical results cannot be canceled by defense dice.

Nearly unstoppable!

Unfortunately expensive, but packs quite the punch

Aioua wrote: »

Nearly unstoppable!

Shhhhhh!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

@Morkath

Ion Cannon Turret (5)
    K4 Security Droid (3)

Autoblaster Turret (2)
    BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)
    Unhinged Astromech (1)

Marksmanship (3)
    Autoblaster Turret (2)
    Hull Upgrade (3)
    R4 Agromech (2)

Feedback Array (2)

Eh, I am not a huge fan of feedback array. You are ioning, taking a damage, and giving up your attack to do 1 damage, at range 1. It can be handy to get that last damage in on something not in arc, but not something worth building a list around, unless you are spamming Z-95's.

You might be better off putting a seismic charge on one of your y-wings for the same points (or a deadmans switch on the z-95).

Story of my x-wing life: start strong, then fade away

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Story of my x-wing life: start strong, then fade away

Well, did you look good blowing up? That's what really matters.

@DaMoonRulz your squad will be remembered in the Halls of Space Valhalla for their service on the Fury Space Road. I want more details later!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    edited October 2015
    Keyan Farlander got taken down to 1 hull point because he forgot how to dodge. Then he remembered how and dodged a kill shot from Iceman, who could've guaranteed a hit-and-kill with a Focus token (F, F, B, F) except he flew through some debris and K-turned so he's a bit too rattled right now, waiting for Maverick to reengage.

Keyan responded by putting an Advanced Proton Torpedo right through the glass of Turr Phennir's otherwise pristine interceptor.

Cougar was already dead; he was holding on too tight.

Elvenshae on
    Jester's whereabouts remain unknown.

3basnids3lf9.jpg