As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Old thread abandoned due to Hydra infiltration.

• Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Ultron was fine, it's just that they didn't make him a very effective villain. He was never really threatening or intimidating. It never really felt like the Avengers were in any danger. Whereas with Winter Soldier, the first Avenger, or even Ant-Man, despite the fact that you knew that heroes weren't going to die, there was the sense that their lives were in danger and that the villains could have succeeded.

That's not really the point of an Avengers movie though. The idea isn't that they are in danger as individuals, but that other people are being put in danger.
    Ultron worked well in this case because where Loki spent all his time working on the individuals, Ultron largely ignored the Avengers. He didn't threaten them personally, but then he was never intended to. His real menacing quality was that he was everywhere, and that with so many bodies doing so many different things at the same time the Avengers were largely impotent to stop him.

Besides, the subtext of the entire plot was that Tony Stark was the real villain the whole time. And he walks away.

I agree on your points except;
    It was a badly put together subtext then, because Tony didn't really do anything wrong. He was working on an AI program with, in the mcu, the other smartest person in the world. They had taken safety precautions, they even had another AI acting as a guard. His reasoning is sound, they need to work on ways to keep Earth safe, they can't just punch everything to win and they can't be everywhere. They can barely even take down the Hulk without causing massive collateral damage.

They constantly write Steve as what basically amounts to being a technophobe. He always fights against any kind of technological solution to a problem that isn't shut it down or blow it up, with some story about how back in WW2 they didn't need more than fighting spirit and good friendship. Then expects everyone to fall in line because he can punch harder than they can.

I mean the scene on the farm when he and Tony are splitting wood, he literally rips a log in half with his hands to try to intimidate Stark during the conversation. He has become the bully that used to pick on him, before he got his powers. He has become the jock picking on the nerd and there is a reason he can't lift Mjolnir even though he thinks he is the moral center for the team.

You are trying to analyze this movie in a vacuum for a movie designed to bring together the disparate plots of the individual Avengers films that proceeded it.
    Captain America just watched an organization that was ostensibly founded by his old flame and Tony's dad become corrupted in their quest to "protect" everyone everywhere. Sure, Hydra helped but Nick Fury, Nick Freaking Fury, fell for it hook, line, and almost sinker. Everyone at Shield believed that they could protect the whole world with this project. So when Steve hears Tony saying the exact same thing that Nick Fury just told him, he doesn't play around. He tears that log apart because he needed Tony to know that this idea NEVER works the way it is intended. Captain America isn't a technophobe, he is a product of technology, he had that cool magnetic shield recall gauntlet, he rides in a cloaking aircraft, and he is friends with a man in a power armor. Captain America fears Infinity Stones just like Thor. The Tesseract has popped into his life twice and wreaked havoc and you think he is going to allow The Sceptre to do so? He watched its energy corrupt the Hulk, Hawkeye, Selvig, and even have a latent effect on himself. You think he is going to support something like that? That Tony is somehow the man to control the uncontrollable?

On the opposite side of the coin, Tony just watched everything he holds dear get ripped away by the Mandarin because he could not protect them. Happy, Pepper, his house, his armor, and his confidence were all taken apart because he couldn't be everywhere even with his entire House Party. He sees the Mind Stone and thinks, "I can't but Jarvis 2.0 could definitely do it." Tony thinks his reasoning is sound but it is no more sound than Shield's thinking (Hydra's Thinking in disguise) in the first Avengers and Red Skull's Hydra. How is it that you say that he wasn't the villain when he was doing exactly what Red Skull and Hydra were doing? Tony Stark doesn't really take the right precautions, he put an untested reactor into his body without even considering the potential for long term damage. The correct precaution that Tony should have taken was to take his experiment off campus to a location that was off the grid. He literally thought that an AI connected to the Internet would be okay with keeping humanity alive? You can't harness an Infinity Stone and expect good things. Tony was so afraid that he was essentially doing the one thing that Tony Stark never does, trust in someone else's equipment.

Both of these people were on paths they thought was right but only one was right, Captain America.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    At the point where people are talking heavy spoilers I think it's best that this topic be moved out of the AoS thread into one that is better suited for it.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The trick to not getting burned out is to not feel obligated to watch everything.

Like, seriously, this year we'll have gotten

8 Episodes of Agent Carter (Aprox 320 minutes)
    12 Episodes of Agents of SHIELD, season 2 (Aprox 480 minutes)
    13 Episodes of Daredevil (Aprox 585 minutes)
    Age of Ultron & Ant-Man (273 minutes)
    13 Episodes of Jessica Jones (Est. 585 minutes)
    10 (?) Episodes of AoS Season 3 (Est. 400 minutes)

That's like 44 hours of MCU content, in this year alone!. In 2017 we'll start getting 3 movies a year instead of two, and we'll have god knows how many TV shows, with Most Wanted and Damage Control being talked about, plus whatever John Ridley is working on. And who knows how Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist will do; we might get Season 2's of those too.

Just watch what catches your eye. If one of the TV shows isn't doing it for you, feel free to not watch it, or to watch it when you're feel a bit less overwhelmed.

It's really just like any sort of comic book universe. The different titles will often tie together or reference each other but generally not in any way that you feel like you're messing up not reading them. You can absolutely go nuts devouring every single book that comes out every month or just pick and choose your favorites. Like, after Secret Wars ends I'm probably gonna go back to just a couple subscriptions but I won't feel like I'm missing anything doing that. I did go nuts subscribing to stuff as the Secret Wars event got closer and then finally happened but that's because I legitimately enjoyed seeing how it all played out, not because I felt compelled to.

(Seriously, y'all should read Secret Wars. IT'S SO GOOD!)

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Moved

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I'm also not interested in the DC stuff. I gave Arrow a solid go and got really tired of how
    everyone keeps coming back to life
    and that made me not interested in the rest of the DC shows.
    RE: Your Spoiler. That really doesn't happen anymore. Although there are other reasons not to watch Arrow, but that one was thoroughly quashed by Season 3.

You should still watch The Flash. It is amazing.

The trailer for The Flash had, "But you'll die!", which is the most tired trope and I was immediately turned off.

Though I might be taboo to bring this up in a Marvel thread, for your own good, I'm going to have to show the following as to why you need to be watching the Flash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iB923470Vo
    ...what
    Is this some comic book thing I am not getting?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I'm also not interested in the DC stuff. I gave Arrow a solid go and got really tired of how
    RE: Your Spoiler. That really doesn't happen anymore. Although there are other reasons not to watch Arrow, but that one was thoroughly quashed by Season 3.

The trailer for The Flash had, "But you'll die!", which is the most tired trope and I was immediately turned off.

Though I might be taboo to bring this up in a Marvel thread, for your own good, I'm going to have to show the following as to why you need to be watching the Flash:

...what
    It makes sense in the context of the show.
    1) The guy tied up in the chair is The Flash's father. He also played The Flash in the 90s TV show.
    2) Mark Hamill is playing The Trickster, a Flash villain kind of like The Joker. He also played The Trickster in the 90s Flash TV show. He also played Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars series, in which the series' villain (Darth Vader) reveals himself to be Luke's father.
    3) In the episode from which this clip was taken, somebody has started using The Trickster's gadgets and Team Flash goes to talk to The Trickster (who's still in jail) to figure out what's going on. It's this real Hannibal Lector sort of series of scenes, and it eventually leads to them finding out that it's this Axel kid that's using all The Trickster's old gadgets. Axel breaks The Trickster out of jail, and then they kidnap the guy tied up in the chair, and then we get this scene.

So it's a conglomeration of funny stuff that's both absurdly hilarious and totally in-context serious.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

...what
    1) The guy tied up in the chair is The Flash's father. He also played The Flash in the 90s TV show.
    2) Mark Hamill is playing The Trickster, a Flash villain kind of like The Joker. He also played The Trickster in the 90s Flash TV show. He also played Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars series, in which the series' villain (Darth Vader) reveals himself to be Luke's father.
    3) In the episode from which this clip was taken, somebody has started using The Trickster's gadgets and Team Flash goes to talk to The Trickster (who's still in jail) to figure out what's going on. It's this real Hannibal Lector sort of series of scenes, and it eventually leads to them finding out that it's this Axel kid that's using all The Trickster's old gadgets. Axel breaks The Trickster out of jail, and then they kidnap the guy tied up in the chair, and then we get this scene.

So it's a conglomeration of funny stuff that's both absurdly hilarious and totally in-context serious.
    The first time I saw that scene, I was sitting in bed watching with my girlfriend, and we were eating dinner. I did this huge spit-take at That Line. It was awesome.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

...what

Hmm.

OK THEN

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    But really, you don't need more context than,
    Mark Hamill says "I am your father" to someone.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Clip from tomorrows episode
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0cfm6HN2yM
    Secret Warriors namedrop!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Chloe Bennett interview with Variety.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/agents-of-shield-season-3-premiere-spoilers-simmons-lash-joey-rosalind-price-1201605834/
    Variety spoke to “SHIELD” star Chloe Bennet (aka Daisy Johnson) about her character’s dynamic with Lincoln (Luke Mitchell), suspicions about Rosalind and what’s ahead in episode 302.

Do you think Daisy is going to be torn between her loyalties to SHIELD and the Inhumans at any point, or is she pretty firmly on the same page as the rest of SHIELD now?

She has a really interesting perspective because she is a SHIELD agent and she’s an Inhuman, and she feels a loyalty to both sides. I think she feels very strongly for both; that’s gonna be the biggest struggle for her this season — at least that’s what I’ve played so far. I think she feels a responsibility because her mom, as crazy as she was, was trying to protect Inhumans and trying to help these people, whether they’re kids or adults who are turning into something that they’re not necessarily ready to be, or they’re automatically turning into something different and society isn’t ready for it. That can be hard. I love how relevant that is now with LGBT rights and people feeling different … and the acceptance of that and learning to be okay with yourself. I think she feels strongly on both sides, so it’ll be an interesting season. Loyalty hasn’t shown more on either side so far, so that’s gonna be up to the writers.

Speaking of LGBT rights, the show introduced its first openly gay character in Joey. He’s struggling with his new Inhuman abilities and obviously has a different perspective from Daisy, but also perhaps some common ground because they’re both used to feeling like outsiders. What can you preview about their dynamic and what he could potentially add to the team?

Joey is the first person that she really feels like could be part of the team; they have to go through a certain level of assessment before that happens. As for him being gay, I was really, really happy to see that, and I am mostly happy to see how nonchalant it was and how subtle it was and how no one made a big deal about it. That’s the kind of reference to someone being gay that I like to see; it doesn’t affect the storyline in any way — it’s subtle, and I thought that was really good on the writers. Just like when people ask what it’s like to play a strong female character and it’s always a little frustrating…

Right, they’re just people.

Yeah, why don’t you ask Clark (Gregg) what it’s like to play a strong male character? I don’t know what that means. It’s just normal, so I like it when it’s subtle like that and they did a really good job.

shield_skyeglorious.jpg?w=300&h=208&crop=1

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

"You know Spider-mans not real, right?"

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/agents-of-shield-season-3-premiere-spoilers-simmons-lash-joey-rosalind-price-1201605834/
    Variety spoke to “SHIELD” star Chloe Bennet (aka Daisy Johnson) about her character’s dynamic with Lincoln (Luke Mitchell), suspicions about Rosalind and what’s ahead in episode 302.

Do you think Daisy is going to be torn between her loyalties to SHIELD and the Inhumans at any point, or is she pretty firmly on the same page as the rest of SHIELD now?

She has a really interesting perspective because she is a SHIELD agent and she’s an Inhuman, and she feels a loyalty to both sides. I think she feels very strongly for both; that’s gonna be the biggest struggle for her this season — at least that’s what I’ve played so far. I think she feels a responsibility because her mom, as crazy as she was, was trying to protect Inhumans and trying to help these people, whether they’re kids or adults who are turning into something that they’re not necessarily ready to be, or they’re automatically turning into something different and society isn’t ready for it. That can be hard. I love how relevant that is now with LGBT rights and people feeling different … and the acceptance of that and learning to be okay with yourself. I think she feels strongly on both sides, so it’ll be an interesting season. Loyalty hasn’t shown more on either side so far, so that’s gonna be up to the writers.

Speaking of LGBT rights, the show introduced its first openly gay character in Joey. He’s struggling with his new Inhuman abilities and obviously has a different perspective from Daisy, but also perhaps some common ground because they’re both used to feeling like outsiders. What can you preview about their dynamic and what he could potentially add to the team?

Joey is the first person that she really feels like could be part of the team; they have to go through a certain level of assessment before that happens. As for him being gay, I was really, really happy to see that, and I am mostly happy to see how nonchalant it was and how subtle it was and how no one made a big deal about it. That’s the kind of reference to someone being gay that I like to see; it doesn’t affect the storyline in any way — it’s subtle, and I thought that was really good on the writers. Just like when people ask what it’s like to play a strong female character and it’s always a little frustrating…

Yeah, why don’t you ask Clark (Gregg) what it’s like to play a strong male character? I don’t know what that means. It’s just normal, so I like it when it’s subtle like that and they did a really good job.

I really hope she sticks around in the MCU forever.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    But really, you don't need more context than,
    Mark Hamill says "I am your father" to someone.

well, I didn't even recognise

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I want her to start showing up in the movies in the old Coulson role.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I want her to start showing up in the movies in the old Coulson role.

Have them both show up.
    Just claim Coulson is a LMD, have him remove his hand to prove it.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I'm a little shocked how quickly and easily Daisy has become my favorite character in the entire MCU. Especially when you look back on those first few episodes.

Okay, well, Fitz and Foggy are both up there, too.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Fitz has to be my favorite. Ian De Caestecker is honestly probably the best overall actor in the MCU.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

For me is goes Daisy > Fitz > Simmons. And then maybe Star Lord and Captain America.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I always thought that Fitz was one of the best characters on the show.

Between the brain damage story and then this premier, I think Ian has honestly proven that he is one of the best actors that Marvel has found thus far.

Edit: I was thinking yesterday that I think after everything they've put Fitz through on this show that he deserves to get his monkey, but then I remembered how much this show hates Fitz and the monkey would probably be killed off in the next episode. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Honestly I now feel like Fitz is probably the safest character on the show, because at this point in the ongoing tragedy of his life, being killed would be considered a mild upturn. Plus why kill him when they can reap so much more drama from torturing him?

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Honestly I now feel like Fitz is probably the safest character on the show, because at this point in the ongoing tragedy of his life, being killed would be considered a mild upturn. Plus why kill him when they can reap so much more drama from torturing him?

You kill him while he's rescuing Simmons, and then you make her life an ongoing tragedy.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Fitz is now the O'Brien of SHIELD, he's even the team engineer!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Fitz in a nutshell:

* Secretly in love with his best friend and never had the nerve to tell her
    * Betrayed by a guy he looked up to and considered a friend
    * Finally tells her while in a deathtrap and she responds by friend zoning him
    * Gets brain damage from deathtrap
    * Simmons leaves him to recover by himself because she can't take the guilt
    * His team loses trust that he can still do his job, with the exception of one guy that treats him like a real person ( Mack <3 )
    * He gets roped into lying to Simmons to protect Daisy
    * Finally starts to normalize his brain and finally scores a date with the girl he loves to have her immediately eaten by a stone slab
    * The premiere happened. :cry:

Dude just needs to retire.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    That puts a lot of unnecessary blame on Simmons.

• Options
    You do realize that if Fitz retires, he'll end up as Lash's roommate in an apartment owned by Ward, right? That's just the way his life goes.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    That puts a lot of unnecessary blame on Simmons.

I wasn't meaning to lay any of the blame at her feet, I was just stating what happened in the show. She had no obligation to stick around watching him wallow in self pity.

Besides during that time period, she was dealing with her own problems what with infiltrating Hydra and all.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    You do realize that if Fitz retires, he'll end up as Lash's roommate in an apartment owned by Ward, right? That's just the way his life goes.

Now that's a sitcom I would watch.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Fitz in a nutshell:

* His team loses trust that he can still do his job, with the exception of one guy that treats him like a real person ( Mack <3 )
    * Finally starts to normalize his brain and finally scores a date with the girl he loves to have her immediately eaten by a stone slab

You left out Mack betraying them all, the same way (to Fitz) that Ward had before.

• Options
    Ah, yep, I forgot about that. So he had two people he considered friends betray him for a rival or evil organization.

Dude just can't catch a break.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Fitz in a nutshell:

You left out Mack betraying them all, the same way (to Fitz) that Ward had before.

And that he gets the brain damage saving the girl he loves, knowingly sacrificing himself

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    No, the monkey would be killed the same episode he got him only to be turned into an android monkey which would then start to slowly malfunction and die in three episodes.

It's first and last words would be a garbled robotic "I love you".

They hate Fitz.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    No, the monkey would be killed the same episode he got him only to be turned into an android monkey which would then start to slowly malfunction and die in three episodes.

They hate Fitz.

Incorrect. The Android Monkey would actually be Ultron (Movie Tie-in!), and Fitz would be forced to destroy it himself, only for Android Monkey's last garbled words to be "I've always loved you".

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

They hate Fitz.

Incorrect. The Android Monkey would actually be Ultron (Movie Tie-in!), and Fitz would be forced to destroy it himself, only for Android Monkey's last garbled words to be "I've always loved you".

Near. Far. I've opened my paw. Know that my android monkey love will go onnnnn.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

They hate Fitz.

Incorrect. The Android Monkey would actually be Ultron (Movie Tie-in!), and Fitz would be forced to destroy it himself, only for Android Monkey's last garbled words to be "I've always loved you, Dad".
    FTFY.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    guess you're all missing the obvious here. Fitz is allergic to monkeys* and just doesn't know it yet. :(

*even android monkeys

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    No, he finally starts dating Simmons, then he gets his monkey.

But Simmons is allergic to monkeys, and he's forced to choose.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Fitz is the Chief O'Brien of SHIELD.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Fitz is the Chief O'Brien of SHIELD.

Young whipper snapper.

Hes the scotty.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
This discussion has been closed.