As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    If you say so. Doesn't harm me and at least it hasn't killed you yet.

cB557 on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Why?
    Well, they might kill you.
    I'm not certain that's how they'd respond, but it's a good enough chance than until we get a firm yes or no on that I figure play it safe.
    For my first action I want to scream and charge the nearest alien in melee.

Don't give me anything expensive.
    And I note you did not do that.

I still hold out hope. Sadly Fanda seems to have treated it as a joke.

What I'm trying to say is if you are expected safety concerns out of me you picked the wrong stomach to haunt buddy.
    You ate me.

Bodies have exits. I note you have not picked any of them!
    I'm muscle butter. It's not my call, and as far as I can tell this stuff is planning on leaving your body shortly before the sun consumes the Earth. I can't figure out how you're not dead yet.

*thumps stomach with fist*

Guts!
    I'm not sure you have those anymore.
    You may want to get that checked out, by the way. I'm pretty sure this doctrine is okay with that sort of thing.

*narrows eyes*

You sure are certain there's something wrong with me Mr Ghost. I'm onto you. Think healthy, be healthy, that's the ticket!

The Dr. Gavin Free study of medicine

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    How are people seeing the alt text on the images?

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Special glasses.

I can sell you a pair. Just £59.95. A bargain at twice the price!

• QuestionablySaneQuestionablySane Registered User regular

The voices say things when I look at each picture.

Also I've been hearing good things about this "Muscle Butter", so I've been rubbing butter over my body for awhile now and nothing is happening. Am I doing anything wrong?

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Muscle Butter and normal butter are... significantly different. Kinda like normal butter and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!.

In that one is a type of food, and the other a horrible chemical abomination, that may or may not have mutagenic and/or anabolic effects.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I can't believe it's not muscle butter!

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    This isn't helping!

This isn't helping!
    Just hover over the images. Some have alt text, some don't.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Ah, so no alt texts for phone or tablet users

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    bBhGycr.gif

You call dat a rokkit, humie? I've felt squig farts 'arder than dat.

Get stuck in wiv dem, Ugbog! Use yer choppa!

7R7lW5u.png

I'z tryin', boss! Dey got too many big shootas!

9fJpTnB.gif

Bah, never liked dat Nob anyway.

I'z gonna need more boys. Quit loafin' about in da Rok, you Gretchin-lovin' gits. It's krumpin' time! Get out dere!

Q3F5Gom.gif

WAAAAAGH!

9Dqpm6u.png

Oi boss, I'm all right! Dey just knocked me down wiv a shot to da 'ead.

Good job they didn't hit anyfing you wuz using.

Now dey's rollin up on us wiv da tank!

Tankbustas, move out dere all sneaky-like. We'z gonna lay a cunnin' trap for 'em.

MBdB49D.png

Hahaha! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!

Keep comin', humie. I gots a tankhammer waitin' fer dat tin can.

zHX7Itl.png

Dat runt knows how ta fight! You grot-lovers could learn a fing or two from 'im. When da tank gets in yer way, KRUMP IT! Haha!

I likes you, humie. I'z gonna kill you last.

nBXacS6.png

I see da humie warboss!

DDI77dV.gif

Bring me his 'ead!

5teuRsJ.gif

Bah, you boyz are all rubbish. 'Ow did I get to be warboss of such a runty lot?

Don't worry boss, I'z still 'ere.

Ugbog? Dat you?

bFEFmuQ.png

Yeah boss! I don't think dey can see me. Maybe I'z cut out to be a kommando after all. Full of brutal cunning, just like Gork!

ZGaPhA1.png

Dat's Mork, you squig-for-brains! And you'z nothin' like Mork. For starters, 'e ain't dead.

I gots to do every zoggin' thing meself.

0pWmj7Q.png

WAAAAAAAAAGGHHHH!!!

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Thought for the day:

The Emperor Protects.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    "Blessed is the mind too small for doubt" seems to be more our speed, though ...

• DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Can't we just settle this over a nice game of Blood Bowl?

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Thought for the day:

The Emperor Protects.

Not in this game.
    That's Fanda.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Lots of explosions.

I approve.
    The bean counters might not over how much is being spent per second out there, but, eh.... stuff them

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    I like how our scientists think we need to invent stuff when we already have rocket tanks.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Did someone hit our tank with friendly fire?

Yes, it does appear that someone shot the tank
    Friendly fire isn't

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Friendly fire isn't

In fairness to Iolo, he didn't do any damage, and his next shot hit the Muton square in the chest.

Sorry about that! I don't have a phone or a tablet, so I don't know what any of this nonsense looks like on one of them.

Apologies also to everyone who doesn't give a shit about Warhammer 40,000. I promise it is a passing fancy, and this is not turning into Let's Play Dawn of War.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    Friendly fire isn't

In fairness to Iolo, he didn't do any damage, and his next shot hit the Muton square in the chest.

Sorry about that! I don't have a phone or a tablet, so I don't know what any of this nonsense looks like on one of them.

Apologies also to everyone who doesn't give a shit about Warhammer 40,000. I promise it is a passing fancy, and this is not turning into Let's Play Dawn of War.
    Please turn it into Lets Play Dawn of War

It will give me material on a Xenonauts/Xcom/JA2/40k mashup game I want to make.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Nah don't go overboard on this kind of thing. It'll get old eventually.
    It was genius to narrate it from the losing side's point of view though.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.

But... it's always been narrated from the (ultimate) loser's PoV >.>

edited October 2015

But... it's always been narrated from the (ultimate) loser's PoV >.>

I believe.
    On the other hand, I also talk to the ghost of a dead comrade.

Morninglord on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Absolutely glorious.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I really wish someone had made a 4 player co-op xcom where each player gets 2-4 guys, but things like sounds/vision aren't shared between players and instead they have to try and describe what their seeing to the rest. Would be an amazing time with good friends.

Vechloran.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Velmeran wrote: »
    I really wish someone had made a 4 player co-op xcom where each player gets 2-4 guys, but things like sounds/vision aren't shared between players and instead they have to try and describe what their seeing to the rest. Would be an amazing time with good friends.

Up until one of your dudes shoot up one of your team mates dudes with reaction fire because you forgot to click on the "Ally around that corner" button.
    Then it just turns into a turn based death match while the aliens point and laugh.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Up until one of your dudes shoot up one of your team mates dudes with reaction fire because you forgot to click on the "Ally around that corner" button.
    Then it just turns into a turn based death match while the aliens point and laugh.

I have legit no idea why you'd have that as a mechanic in that game. I mean real life soldiers positively ID targets before shooting at them, so it wouldn't even be realistic, just frustrating and gamey :p

Also, I think that is a really really good idea for a game.

Rend wrote: »

I have legit no idea why you'd have that as a mechanic in that game. I mean real life soldiers positively ID targets before shooting at them, so it wouldn't even be realistic, just frustrating and gamey :p

I'm not arguing that it sounds like a fun game. Even if (when?) it turns into a turn based deathmatch with alien plasma weapons, it still sounds fun.

I'm just saying that in real life, friendly fire happens. Sometimes due to stress or unexpected events (like a sudden soldier popping up from behind cover) or bad intel or whatever, but it happens. I'd imagine that in a dark city block where you've got unknown, alien enemies potentially lurking around any corner, a fair number of soldiers might adopt a "shoot at that unexpected moving form in the shadows now, ask if it's human later" stance as a result of the stress in the situation, even if they were specifically told that there were several allied forces in the area. I mean, I'd think that soldiers shouting "We're human so please don't shoot" would attract additional alien attention as opposed to trying to be stealthy.

It would seem that, as the squad commander, you're supposed to be updating your allied squad commanders as to where your guys are and what they see and those commanders should have some way of updating their squad to the presence of allied forces. If there's no penalty or risk for failing to do so, then what's the point of hiding allied vision as a game mechanic?

I'd imagine you could have friendly fire available as an option that could be turned off. Or, if it's a longer term game where it's more than just a skirmish, maybe some tech that reduces the chances of friendly fire.

But, I don't make games. So, I could be way off on this line of thinking.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    In my mind friendly fire and bad practices are more likely in xcom because I don't view them as humanity's best. I believe the "honor" of being selected for the xcom project is a punishment. A mix of soldiers who pissed off the brass of their respective militaries, and bad apples who get the choice between a firing squad and serving in Xcom.

There are some brave volunteers who feel a calling to fight on the front line against the alien menace, but they're the minority.

Of course that's just my head canon, but it would explain a lot.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    In my mind friendly fire and bad practices are more likely in xcom because I don't view them as humanity's best. I believe the "honor" of being selected for the xcom project is a punishment. A mix of soldiers who pissed off the brass of their respective militaries, and bad apples who get the choice between a firing squad and serving in Xcom.

There are some brave volunteers who feel a calling to fight on the front line against the alien menace, but they're the minority.

Would you call X-COM soldiers the Last Chancers?

Kadoken wrote: »

Would you call X-COM soldiers the Last Chancers?

In my mind they're similar. Although I imagine the xcom troops have all around better living conditions and quality of life.

3DS Friend Code:
    edited October 2015

I'm not arguing that it sounds like a fun game. Even if (when?) it turns into a turn based deathmatch with alien plasma weapons, it still sounds fun.

I'm just saying that in real life, friendly fire happens. Sometimes due to stress or unexpected events (like a sudden soldier popping up from behind cover) or bad intel or whatever, but it happens. I'd imagine that in a dark city block where you've got unknown, alien enemies potentially lurking around any corner, a fair number of soldiers might adopt a "shoot at that unexpected moving form in the shadows now, ask if it's human later" stance as a result of the stress in the situation, even if they were specifically told that there were several allied forces in the area. I mean, I'd think that soldiers shouting "We're human so please don't shoot" would attract additional alien attention as opposed to trying to be stealthy.

It would seem that, as the squad commander, you're supposed to be updating your allied squad commanders as to where your guys are and what they see and those commanders should have some way of updating their squad to the presence of allied forces. If there's no penalty or risk for failing to do so, then what's the point of hiding allied vision as a game mechanic?

I'd imagine you could have friendly fire available as an option that could be turned off. Or, if it's a longer term game where it's more than just a skirmish, maybe some tech that reduces the chances of friendly fire.

If you were making this game you would do this thing called "not base your game design on reality" and have your soldiers instantly id allied soldiers because its more convenient for the player. Games are designed for fun, not reality.

Morninglord on

If you were making this game you would do this thing called "not base your game design on reality" and have your soldiers instantly id allied soldiers because its more convenient for the player. Games are designed for fun, not reality.
    First, we've already confirmed the game is not going to be based on reality. I think we hit that point when we decided that a couple dozen people with rifles would be sufficient to save the planet from an alien invasion.

Second, people are different. One person's fun is another persons tedious repetitive task. Personally, I think it would be fun to have a buddy tell me "I've got dudes behind the gas station in sector 2F, we're about to round the north east corner", then convey the info to my dudes in the next sector not to shoot at movement coming from that direction. It could be an action as simple as dropping a friendly flag in that direction so movement in that direction would not automatically trigger reaction fire. Of course, said buddy would only know that I'm there if I was providing my own tactical status for them.

Maybe my buddy says "I'm coming from wherever, and I'm being chased..." I could issue an overwatch command in that direction so that my guys would be able to target the aliens and not shoot the allied characters, but doing so limits how far they could move or limit their ability to react to movement from other directions because they're focusing their attention on supporting the allied squad.
    It seems like a mechanic that would really suit a cooperative turn based game, provided some kind of communication system was built in.

edited October 2015
    On the matter of id'ing allied troops, I always enjoyed not having that info relayed to me on a silver platter in games like red Orchestra. You start noticing little details like the differences between uniforms at a distance, the difference in the report different weapons, and even differences based on the training (or lack thereof) of the soldiers as they move and carry their equipment across the battlefield (the soviets and Germans carried their rifles in different manners when sprinting).

Although I must admit I have been killed by friendly fire on many occasions because I was an officer with a fancy hat and my silhouette didn't match what a novice was used to seeing most often. I also placed myself at risk every time I captured a foreign weapon for my own use. But as a whole it added a little something extra to the game.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    edited October 2015

First, we've already confirmed the game is not going to be based on reality. I think we hit that point when we decided that a couple dozen people with rifles would be sufficient to save the planet from an alien invasion.

Second, people are different. One person's fun is another persons tedious repetitive task. Personally, I think it would be fun to have a buddy tell me "I've got dudes behind the gas station in sector 2F, we're about to round the north east corner", then convey the info to my dudes in the next sector not to shoot at movement coming from that direction. It could be an action as simple as dropping a friendly flag in that direction so movement in that direction would not automatically trigger reaction fire. Of course, said buddy would only know that I'm there if I was providing my own tactical status for them.

Maybe my buddy says "I'm coming from wherever, and I'm being chased..." I could issue an overwatch command in that direction so that my guys would be able to target the aliens and not shoot the allied characters, but doing so limits how far they could move or limit their ability to react to movement from other directions because they're focusing their attention on supporting the allied squad.
    It seems like a mechanic that would really suit a cooperative turn based game, provided some kind of communication system was built in.

"Fun" is going to conform to the bell curve like everything else. So you decide early what audience you are going for and you design for that range of "fun". That's why there's games that clearly aren't for me even in the cag genre. Because I'm outside that range.
    Now you always do testing, for any idea. If, during testing, on average, they can get your idea to work and not be frustrating, they might do it. If it turns out frustrating, it'd probably be scrapped. There's been quite a few features that have been scrapped this way in early development that I've heard about and thought "I'd be okay with that", but on average during playtesting it didn't work out.
    Given how fiddly it would be, and given how hard it actually is to get people to cooperate in multiplayer at the best of times, I'm judging on experience that this idea would be more on the frustrating side of the average than the fun side.

If it helps I would be up for a game with you using this idea. So this has nothing to do with my sense of fun.

Morninglord on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Can we all just agree that friendly fire would be a check box option, possibly labeled "Dick move, buddy".

Vechloran.png

They're all brave in the original X-COM. Even the biggest bed wetting coward on the squad can watch his CO get ripped apart by a chryssalid, shrug, and keep on keeping on. It's only when half the team is down he gets antsy.

People always joke about XCOM soldiers being super inaccurate, but really, you should see the statistics for rounds fired in combat to how many of them actually hit enemies. IIRC it's something like one shot hit for every 500 shots fired. XCOM and X-com soldiers are freaky accurate, even as rookies.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    People always joke about XCOM soldiers being super inaccurate, but really, you should see the statistics for rounds fired in combat to how many of them actually hit enemies. IIRC it's something like one shot hit for every 500 shots fired. XCOM and X-com soldiers are freaky accurate, even as rookies.

Most RL engagements are at longer ranges than XCOM.

XCOM also features soldiers that can ram a shotgun up an alien's arse, pull the trigger and still miss.