As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PAX West Coast Supertrip

Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
edited February 2005 in PAX Archive
Total participants as of July 4: 72

Tentative Phoenix Depature Date: Thursday, August 26, 2004

This is it, ladies and gentlemen. This is where the greatest road trip ever assembled, the 2004 Penny Arcade Expo West Coast Supertrip, will be planned, organized, and set into motion.

What we are planning here is a road trip of mass proportions. Various PAers that are going to attend PAX are gathering en masse to hit the road together in a journey of epic proportions.

The Supertrip will begin in Phoenix, Arizona. The Supertrip will be hitting all the major west coast cities: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, and finally, Seattle, the destination of this great caravan. The journey will come together in a series of rally points in all the major cities, where the existing caravan will pass through and new joinees will latch on and make the caravan bigger and better.

Tuscon, Phoenix, and Flagstaff people will rally in Phoenix. San Diego and Los Angeles people will rally in Los Angeles. San Jose, Bay Area people, Sacramento and Reno people will rally in Sacramento. Las Vegas people can choose to rally in any of the four locations, but Phoenix or Los Angeles are recommended. People between Salem and Roseburg will rally in Eugene, and those in Salem, the Metro Area, the Coast, and Longview will rally in Portland.

The caravan will begin in Phoenix and head west on the I-10 to Los Angeles. It will then go northbound on the I-5 until it reaches Sacramento, where the people who have rallied in Sacramento will join. Afterward, the caravan will pick up new joinees in Redding, Medford, Eugene, and Portland, before arriving in Seattle.

The issue now is rally points. Every city we stop in will need a primary rally point for the caravan to pick up new people. For this, we will need ideas, and perhaps volunteers.

Current confirmed rally points are as follows: Currently, we need rally points for:
  • Portland

So far, we have numerous suggestions for activities during the Supertrip, most notably the idea of a traveling wireless LAN party. To pull this off, we will need people with a great deal of experience in wireless networking to assist us in the execution of this plan.

There are also a few things we're going to need for identification, ceremonial, and aesthetic purposes, such as flags, banners, stickers, window clings, and possibly articles of clothing (such as t-shirts). If anyone can help with the creation or acquisition of these items, email PAdiamondback@gmail.com with your ideas and/or methods of acquisition.

Most of all, WE NEED DRIVERS AND AUTOMOBILES. If it can be done, with enough drivers and rotating shifts, we can motor through the entire Supertrip in just over 24 hours. However, if there is to be partying and many stops for tourist activities (which is almost assuredly going to happen), the Supertrip will take about three days total. To this end, I request that anyone who can drive or has an automobile that will be able to make the journey email me at PAdiamondback@gmail.com with the following:
  • Subject line "SUPERTRIP DRIVER" if you can drive -or-
  • Subject line "SUPERTRIP AUTOMOBILE if you have an avilable automobile that can make the trip
  • Your location and nearest waypoint
  • Your name, email address, and any instant messaging client ID you use

This has the potential to be an unforgettable journey, ladies and gentlemen. I, as well as many of you, want to see this happen.

To register for the 2004 Penny Arcade Expo West Coast Supertrip, email PAdiamondback@gmail.com with the subject line "SUPERTRIP ENTRY", with your name, location, and closest waypoint. We will be creating a database within the next week of all entrants as they come in.

Let's do this, folks. Let's make the Supertrip a reality.

Any questions, comments, or recommendations for waypoints should also be emailed to PAdiamondback@gmail.com.

This thread will be updated as waypoints are confirmed and solidified.

6-16: Eliminated Stockton and Vancouver from waypoints list.

6-17: Added Eugene to the list of waypoints. Cleaned up thread a little. Added request for banners/flags/etc.

6-18: Added Phoenix, Sacramento, and Los Angeles waypoints.

7-4: Announced total participants as of July 4. Added tentative depature date.

Red Machine D on

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited June 2004
    I asked Red Machine D to make this thread, btw to consolidate all the info from the old, now-locked, thread. It was getting a bit messy in there.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2004
    A good waypoint for Sacramento might be the Natomas Marketplace in the NW section of the city. It's spot on the junction of I-80 and I-5, making it the ideal place for all of the bay area people to join the caravan. THere's an enormous parking lot, gas, restaurants, walmart, etc, and a nearby grocery store. There aren't any homes in the immediate area, so we might be able to camp there too.

3691 Truxel Rd, Sacramento, CA 95834-3604

Might not be the best solution, but it's the first one that came to mind. I'm driving in that direction tomorrow and I'll keep an eye out for other locations.

(Stockton? I'm living in Lodi this summer. If you guys can't find any other way up to Sacto, I might be able to pick you up. PM me instead of bloating this thread.)

Edit: The wifi project is going to require alot of careful thinking. Maybe we should give it a thread.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    I am still curious about the the time's that we are looking at. Grath and I already have a hotel room booked for Friday and Saturday nights. So approximently when are we planing to leave Phoenix and then reach each rally point?

SoulFury on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    SoulFury wrote:
    I am still curious about the the time's that we are looking at. Grath and I already have a hotel room booked for Friday and Saturday nights. So approximently when are we planing to leave Phoenix and then reach each rally point?

Albuquerque?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    martianvikingmartianviking Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    jdjensen wrote:
    A good waypoint for Sacramento might be the Natomas Marketplace in the NW section of the city. It's spot on the junction of I-80 and I-5, making it the ideal place for all of the bay area people to join the caravan. THere's an enormous parking lot, gas, restaurants, walmart, etc, and a nearby grocery store. There aren't any homes in the immediate area, so we might be able to camp there too.

I agree; that's an excellent suggestion. It would be easy for everyone to find, including people that have never been to Sacramento. Lost people will be a constant problem on any undertaking like this, so keeping the waypoints easy to find will likely be key.

martianviking on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Oh yeah I still vote for Arizona Mills as teh Phoenix rally point.

SoulFury on
  • Options
    MrDigitalMrDigital Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    Um... when would be a good thing to know.

If it's a couple weeks from now or this week makes a big difference if I can participate or not.

MrDigital on
    mrdigital.png
    MrDigital.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Just a quick suggestion.

Lets all print large sized PA logos and stick em in the rear windows of our cars. That way we can all easily make sure we are following the right cars.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    I happen to have a new 26' trailer that can easily sleep 5, maybe 8 or 9 if ya get cozy. My truck can carry 4 or 5 too. But for a trip of that distance I don't think i want to pay for all teh gas. If we can get some confirmation of people who are willing to pay we'll have a home on wheels.. oh and I have a generator with an inverter on it.. so we have all the electricty we need. =)

If you get a wireless lan going we could put it in the trailer and the generator in the back of my truck and we could have a roving wireless port. All the passengers could play lan games wirelessly and with the attenna on top of the trailer we'll get some distance out of it.

I should be moving up to the bay area soon.. but I could join the group in LA if needed. My main concern is the gas mileage though, even with my deisel it isn't "economy".

DL

Unknown User on
  • Options
    FiXXXerXFiXXXerX Registered User new member
    edited June 2004
    Anyone up for an East Coast super trip?

...... I got my Echo and 43mpg baby, anything goes

Seriously though, are there any PA'ers that want to make the trek from the east coast to the west coast?

Let me know

-X-

FiXXXerX on
    "Shut up... I hate you, and I'm under the astute impression that you should go die."
  • Options
    MowAlonMowAlon Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Wow, I'm glad Gabe posted this on the front page.

This is, in fact, going to be the best vacation ever... especially because I live in Phoenix.

Also, I plan on broadcasting my weekly video game radio show from PAX, and this sounds like it could provide me with a ton to talk about.

I would like to offer webspace to help summarize the info for the Supertrip if the organizers would like it. It could go in a subdomain of the radio show... something like pax.chatterboxgameshow.com

I guess I should e-mail Red Machine about this, so I'll go do that now.

Oh, and I'd also be happy to offer my own house as the Phoenix waypoint - if the Phoenix side of things isn't too huge (like more than 15 people.)

MowAlon on
    I host this podcast - www.chatterboxgameshow.com
    I'm trying to sell stuff here - it8bit.storenvy.com
  • Options
    Optimus WangOptimus Wang Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    I demand a giant group pic of all SUPERTRIPPERS after it's all over.

Optimus Wang on
    Din wrote:
    I'd be Optimus Wang, and come out with just a bathrobe on and drink maple syrup out of a coffee mug.
    ani-me.jpg
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2004
    I'm flying.

:rotate:

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    SoulFury wrote:
    Oh yeah I still vote for Arizona Mills as teh Phoenix rally point.

seconded

Grath on
  • Options
    MowAlonMowAlon Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    If AZ Mills is decided, maybe we could get sponsored by Krispy Kreme... They could give us donuts in exchange for putting a banner on a truck or something

Anything for donuts....

MowAlon on
    I host this podcast - www.chatterboxgameshow.com
    I'm trying to sell stuff here - it8bit.storenvy.com
  • Options
    MrDigitalMrDigital Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    Doh, I realized after posting before that obviously the WHEN is like...RIGHT BEFORE PAX. :roll:

I have since decided to fly, as I have no vehicle I could really use of my own and I can't really take all those extra days off for the trip. :(

MrDigital on
    mrdigital.png
    MrDigital.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Actually, "when" is still a rather valid question.

Some kind of a realistic (but of course somewhat flexible) timetable would really help. It would be nice to have approximate arrival times of the "convoy" at each city's waypoint (even if the exact waypoint address is not pinned down yet).

Is there yet any effort underway to plan a timetable with waypoints?

martianviking on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Two questions.

1.) Finances. Will there be a reasonable fee ($5-25 or so) required to join the caravan for fuel expenses, oil, and whatever other maintenence may become necessary? Or will that pretty much rely on a couple of nice guys?

2.) Assuming that the wireless roaming LAN (Christ on a cross, that would be awesome) is green lighted, will it be restricted to laptops and / or small PCs with LCD monitors? Surely we won't be strapping 19" CRT monitors to the back of the front seats in someone's car/truck, but I saw mention of a trailer, so I figured I'd ask.

I'm still not sure if I'll be able to make it anyway since I am unemployed at the moment. I do have a reserve I could tap into though, very tempting.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    To respond to those questions:

1) I'm going to be working on a chip-in structure sometime within the next couple of days. I'm going to be finding out how much gas it will take to get there, as I have a friend driving from Phoenix to Seattle in a couple days.

2) As far as the wireless LAN goes, I'd guess that as long as you can make it work, anything goes. However I think I speak for all the people providing vehicles that SPACE IS A PREMIUM. If you can make it small and make it work, then do so.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    jdjensen wrote:

I agree; that's an excellent suggestion. It would be easy for everyone to find, including people that have never been to Sacramento. Lost people will be a constant problem on any undertaking like this, so keeping the waypoints easy to find will likely be key.

I forgot to mention that there's a Fry's about 1 mile away :P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    jdjensen wrote:
    jdjensen wrote:

What's the address of this Fry's?

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    MalevolentPirateMalevolentPirate Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Fry's Electronics 4100 Northgate bl 95834

MalevolentPirate on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    So who from Reno is planning to get in? Me and some of my fans are coming from Winnemucca, but we might head down to Reno and we could set up a mini-convoy to the rally point.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    jdjensen wrote:
    Ah yes, I had forgotten. Good point. :)
    Maksim wrote:
    Assuming that the wireless roaming LAN (Christ on a cross, that would be awesome) is green lighted, will it be restricted to laptops and / or small PCs with LCD monitors? Surely we won't be strapping 19" CRT monitors to the back of the front seats in someone's car/truck, but I saw mention of a trailer, so I figured I'd ask.
    And it might be a good time to point out that those inverters (adapters that give you a normal power plug from your cigarette lighter) can't really pull that much juice. Even if you have room, a hardcore gaming PC and decent monitor are a bit too much for that sort of device.

It'd probably be best to stick to laptops. Just keep the gaming a little bit older-school (Quake 1, Doom, StarCraft, that sort of thing) and you can make even an old, cheap laptop go pretty far. Of course, anyone who can bring the horsepower could play whatever they wanted, but getting some less-demanding games going could bring a few more people into the fold. I'd bet more than a few people could get their hands on an old Pentium II based laptop and a cheap Wi-Fi card.

martianviking on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    If this happens again next year...it'd be so much easier with DS's. ;)

But yeah...when is this happening? I'd assume that it's going to start on Tues or Wed. :|

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Arizona Mills is def. the best spot for people in the phoenix/metro area, its probably the most central point and well... everyone knows where it is!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    edit: Fuck it. Phoenix and Sacramento waypoints confirmed.

I'm going to try to somehow gets a sponsor for this event. I don't know HOW it would be possible, but seeing as we're passing through a SHITLOAD of their territory, it could work...

edit again: To hell with it. Los Angeles waypoint confirmed.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    I guess the next questions are:

1. What do you want from Fry's as a sponsor?
    2. What can you provide to Fry's as a sponsor?

I'd say you could probably provide logo placement on every car as well as mention in all online organization and recap discussions. But what exactly (and how much of it) would you want in return?

Also, there is one thing that I do have to point out about the Sacramento waypoint:

Make abolutely sure that everybody knows to take the "real" Interstate 80 (red and blue shield-shaped signs), and not Business 80 (green shield-shaped signs). It is very easy to confuse the two, and we don't want people to end up way off track over by Cal Expo or something. When coming from the south, you will see the "80" signs for Business Loop 80 first (long before the "real" Interstate 80 signs).

Make sure everybody knows to drive past downtown Sacramento and keep looking for the red and blue sign for I-80.

martianviking on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Hi, I'm new here. My husband and I are planing on making the supertrip. We'll be meeting at the Sacramento waypoint. Um... we have room to fit 3 more people in our car (2 comfortably) so if anyone needs a ride let me know via a messenger or email and we can set it up. Also we were talking about the whole trip and how much everything is going to cost and we were thinking to save some money like 6-8 people could get together and share a hotel room. Just an idea...

Unknown User on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    I'm here in dinky little Ellensburg, WA which is pretty much halfway between Spokane and Seattle. If this trip is going to Spokane, you're almost definitely going to take I-90 over to Seattle, and Ellensburg is right along the way.

My co-host, my girlfriend, and I are probably the only ones going from this town. Ellensburg is pretty much where everyone stops between Spokane and Seattle on road trips for gas and grub since there are a bunch of places right off the highway.

If you guys do pass through here and have a certain time you think you'll be passing through, I may hop in the caravan for the drive over. This won't be any sort of rallying point though. Just a dinky college town.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Sorry.. Imma dork... I didn't notice the whole 'Who wants to share a hotel thing'... forgive my stupidity :?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    pfffft... I'm sorry but anaheim is NOT los angeles

I'm debating this. depends on who's going. my job and my brother's school stattus. maybe I'll ride up and fly back down

futility on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    futility wrote:

I'm debating this. depends on who's going. my job and my brother's school stattus. maybe I'll ride up and fly back down
    Considering the potential sponsor of the Supertrip, the location is appropriate, not to mention right by the I-5. Besides, I've got relatives in LA and they tell me where to go and where not to go. They told me not to go anywhere west of Disneyland on the surface streets, lest bad things happen.

They would know. Each one of them has been carjacked... two of them twice.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    I just scanned this quickly and haven't read all the posts, but it seems to fall to logic that your Portland stop should be at the Portland Frys. If someone has said this already then props to them and if not then it has been said.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    futility wrote:

Considering the potential sponsor of the Supertrip, the location is appropriate, not to mention right by the I-5. Besides, I've got relatives in LA and they tell me where to go and where not to go. They told me not to go anywhere west of Disneyland on the surface streets, lest bad things happen.

there's a frys or 3 in LA proper

futility on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    I am still interested in some sort of time table for the trip up and back.

SoulFury on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    futility wrote:
    futility wrote:

there's a frys or 3 in LA proper

I don't live anywhere near LA or Anaheim but i was down there like 3 weeks ago and i think that if your gonna have this many people in a convoy Anaheim would be a more reasonable waypoint. It is a bit smaller and easier to get through if you are having to get off the highway. Just my thought...

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Dammit all to hell.

I live in the U-district (off I-5; about 5 mins from downtown).

You and your supertrip. I could walk to the finish. Some fun for me.

Maybe I'll start a Bizarro Supertrip for anyone that lives in the Seattle area to travel to Phoenix afterwards.

bizarro.jpg

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    has anyone concidered Game Stop as a sponsor?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    Good news... well sorta... I e.mailed someone at gamestop and they told me it's very possible we would be able to get sponsorship for the trip. they gave me a name and number of the person i need to contact. so i will be calling them first thing monday morning... :D

Unknown User on