As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Once Upon A Time In The [Chat]

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    after many hours the seafood stew turned out quite nice

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2015
    Oh one more Spec Ops thing that made me =/ and seemed weird and out of place
    One of the "tips" on the loading screen is "How many Americans have you killed today?"

Which would be a much more interesting question if you hadn't used white phosphorus rounds on Dubai's civilians?

Like not to diminish using them on American soldiers, but the game explicitly involves war crimes against foreign civilians, and then phrases that question in a way that suggests you should be only concerned with the American lives. I guess it's supposed to shock you - "oh man I have been killing Americans" but it comes off in this weirdly detached uncomfortable way.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    One of the "tips" on the loading screen is "How many Americans have you killed today?"

Which would be a much more interesting question if you hadn't used white phosphorus rounds on Dubai's civilians?

Like not to diminish using them on American soldier, but the game explicitly involves war crimes against foreign civilians, and then phrases that question in a way that suggests you should be only concerned with the American lives. I guess it's supposed to shock you - "oh man I have been killing Americans" but it comes off in this weirdly detached uncomfortable way.
    Would you say it was

Over the line

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    nan_bei_he_dan_bing_flushing_queens.jpg

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Omelets are one of the only foods I am masterful at making.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Like not to diminish using them on American soldier, but the game explicitly involves war crimes against foreign civilians, and then phrases that question in a way that suggests you should be only concerned with the American lives. I guess it's supposed to shock you - "oh man I have been killing Americans" but it comes off in this weirdly detached uncomfortable way.
    White phosphorous nothing. You wrecked the potable water trucks. Every person left in Dubai will be dead in a few days.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have no yogurt.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ZZ77vX8.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I have chosen to have a bag of beef jerky from the gas station for dinner.

I can vote and my vote counts as much as yours.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Mortious wrote: »
    I have no yogurt.

And you must use cream?

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    youtiao-chinese-crullers-wide.jpg

fukken gr8 breakfast

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I made shrimp monica for people tonight and it was awesome

Fed 7 people (all of whom had seconds) and still had leftovers for tomorrow

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I went to see what duck pastrami looks like and found this picture

ozrOvwv.jpg

I know super shallow depth of field is supposed to be nice but you actually have to focus on part of the thing* you're trying to highlight!

Px2wWRT.jpg

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I didn't read shivahn's spoiler because I don't wanna spoil the game so hopefully that pun wasn't wildly inappropriate

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    arrows in dark souls 1 track mid-flight

so troll

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

*eats at Arby's*

• Options

fukken gr8 breakfast

Bread and a cup of urine?

har har

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youtiao

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    duck pastrami and duck prosciutto are actually relatively easy to make and a great way to get into home smoking / curing

like, if your fridge is pretty clean and neutral, you can pretty much just pack it in salt and hang it to cure

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Oh actually I went back and read the Wiki plot synopsis - some of my complaints weren't really legit.
    The choices can be questioned, but there's no reason to question the sanity of the main character until after he orders a white phosphorus strike that hits civilians, which I think actually works really well.

• Options
    Pork-belly-mantou-011.jpg

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

I dunno, this one I didn't find that out of place. The game has you commit atrocities against the citizens of Dubai, but pretty much everybody you kill who fights back is an American. That fits pretty well the game's theme of "why do you enjoy playing games where you kill a bunch of foreign bad guys" since it bluntly points out how you're playing an American power fantasy by killing Americans, and more broadly, that finding joy in killing a bunch of people is fucked up.

I get that the message is muddied in a bunch of ways, but I think the exploration of "why do you, the player, enjoy jingoistic action shooters" was the main focus and was executed well. I didn't focus on it as a story of how the Middle East is chaotic or how PTSD affects soldiers, though those elements were present.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

*eats at Arby's*

Well, at least I had a good dinner.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    arrows in dark souls 1 track mid-flight

so troll

Keeps you on your toes … or off your toes entirely.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Sometimes folks are lil too concerned with freedom to and not concerned enough with freedom from

It's easy to assume freedom from when you've always been free from it

AKA, why there are no refugees who move to America and become sovereign citizens

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    ABC Family is becoming Freeform to appeal to, well
    ABC Family is shifting from targeting millennials to what it has dubbed "Becomers" as part of a rebranding of sorts to focus on music and the many "firsts" in the lives of its young adult audience. While not a shift in its target demographic of 14-34, ABC Family's strategy will continue to explore a life stage with Becomers focusing on high school, college and the decade that follows — where many of the estimated 69 million with a spending power in the trillions experience the most "firsts" — cars, apartments, jobs, love and heartbreak.

"We are renewing our focus on an especially vibrant and important part of the consuming public, whom we have named Becomers, and are committing to this life stage, rather than to a generation," Ascheim says. "Becomers are exploring and establishing who they are becoming — personally, professionally and romantically — they live in that magical and messy place between their first kiss and their first kid."
    EXECUTE MARKETERS

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oh hey do we have experts on Asian food here

Years ago I took a class in Japanese (don't remember a word of it) and we had dinner at the teacher's home. It was very good, but now that I'm in my dotage the only thing I can remember is she had these little packets of dried seasoned sardines (or maybe anchovies), and you sprinkled the package on your rice and it was delicious.

Does anyone have any idea what those are called and where I might find them? I already tried the biggest Asian food store in town and couldn't find anything that looked right, although this was over 20 years ago and I may be misremembering.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    More Spec Ops stuff:
    I guess to clarify, I think a lot of the hype got was surrounding the meta commentary about playing a video game about shooting people. Everything said to Walker by Konrad and most of the loading screens were aimed directly at the player. What literally happens, Walker's state of mind, and any broad political commentary were all minor setpieces for the main commentary that you, the player, are willing to do a bunch of horrible things because "The game made me" or "that's how these games work," even if you don't know why you're doing it or how screwed up your actions are.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    xiaolongbao are also delicious a lot of the time

85g9uud3gvzy.jpg

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    More Spec Ops stuff:
    I guess to clarify, I think a lot of the hype got was surrounding the meta commentary about playing a video game about shooting people. Everything said to Walker by Konrad and most of the loading screens were aimed directly at the player. What literally happens, Walker's state of mind, and any broad political commentary were all minor setpieces for the main commentary that you, the player, are willing to do a bunch of horrible things because "The game made me" or "that's how these games work," even if you don't know why you're doing it or how screwed up your actions are.

the spec ops devs hate the kind of people who would buy shooters and didn't want to make a shooter so they dedicated an entire game to telling you how much they hate you

• Options

I dunno, this one I didn't find that out of place. The game has you commit atrocities against the citizens of Dubai, but pretty much everybody you kill who fights back is an American. That fits pretty well the game's theme of "why do you enjoy playing games where you kill a bunch of foreign bad guys" since it bluntly points out how you're playing an American power fantasy by killing Americans, and more broadly, that finding joy in killing a bunch of people is fucked up.

I get that the message is muddied in a bunch of ways, but I think the exploration of "why do you, the player, enjoy jingoistic action shooters" was the main focus and was executed well. I didn't focus on it as a story of how the Middle East is chaotic or how PTSD affects soldiers, though those elements were present.
    I mean, I don't play a lot of shooters, so maybe that has something to do with it not resonating as a jingoistic thing. I guess it does make sense in a way, since the killing of the civilians is never intended or presented as justifiable... but the game is also constantly questioning your killing of Americans, so I dunno.

There might be something a little broken in me though - within the confines of the game, it didn't matter that they were Americans. I know that was a decision designed to give me pause, but it never did.

I went in knowing it was supposed to be subversive, though, so when I started killing solely Americans I shrugged and thought "this is interesting. Ooh now I will get more ammo for the guns I like."

I'm in a weird spot where I don't know if that makes me the intended audience or not.

• Options
    xiaolongbao are also delicious a lot of the time

those are soup dumplings, right?

those things are delicious

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    More Spec Ops stuff:

the spec ops devs hate the kind of people who would buy shooters and didn't want to make a shooter so they dedicated an entire game to telling you how much they hate you

This is the most appealing comment I've seen yet :P

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    It is time for your daily cringe

WjWQvsi.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    More Spec Ops stuff:

The player is led by standard gaming conventions. You see an empty room full of chest-high walls, you reflexively rush in and hide behind said chest-high walls and you don't stop shooting until everyone else is dead.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Oh Yahtzee. We share a lot of the same opinions about games.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

Like not to diminish using them on American soldiers, but the game explicitly involves war crimes against foreign civilians, and then phrases that question in a way that suggests you should be only concerned with the American lives. I guess it's supposed to shock you - "oh man I have been killing Americans" but it comes off in this weirdly detached uncomfortable way.
    that phospherous segment is so fucking dumb

oh here's what's basically a cutscene of a guy doing something bad

now we're going to act like you should feel bad about it

no? I don't, because the game had no other options, you're throwing shock at me for shock's sake, fuck off with that

asking me to feel bad about doing something only works for me if there was literally any other option

override367 on
  • Options
    More Spec Ops stuff:

It was clearly pretty effective commentary given it made a lot of people think, even if it was just to discredit them. And I think it's definitely worth looking into the biases that go into media, and at the time Spec Ops was being developed, there was certainly a large amount of completely unexamined, America: Fuck Yeah shooters on the market (whether you were fighting Russians, Koreans, generic brown people, or space worms).

There are definitely games that had similar meta commentary but had more love for their own genre, but I don't think that's a reason to discredit the game. Successfully evoking negative emotions is still evoking emotions, which a lot of games struggle to do in any capacity, and most of the shooters at the time didn't even try.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Oh hey do we have experts on Asian food here

Years ago I took a class in Japanese (don't remember a word of it) and we had dinner at the teacher's home. It was very good, but now that I'm in my dotage the only thing I can remember is she had these little packets of dried seasoned sardines (or maybe anchovies), and you sprinkled the package on your rice and it was delicious.

Does anyone have any idea what those are called and where I might find them? I already tried the biggest Asian food store in town and couldn't find anything that looked right, although this was over 20 years ago and I may be misremembering.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake

This?

This discussion has been closed.