As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel Heroics] Young Avengers: The Rising Tide (GAME ON!)

12345679»

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Yes, so you took out 1 of the perusing cars. And you are selling that 1? @Captain Carrot to go next.

The sedan flips over Chimera and slams hard into the highway. There is movement inside, but everyone looks too hurt (or scared) to want to get out. The rest of the cars drive by, still firing useless shots at the beast as they speed away.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The one is yours.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    There are 14 Bad Guy Cars and the Timer which is at a d4 and now able to be removed thanks to the 1-Hit KO on the Helicopter that I wasn't planning on being blown up.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Oh, crap. I didn't realize there were 15 of them. That was kind of a waste of a turn.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Zoe Carter, 1 pp, 1 XP

There were a lot of cars rumbling behind them. At least a dozen. This wasn't the time to be half-assed. Gotta take a chance, to help the team.

"Someone get ready to catch me, 'cause I've never done anything near this big before, and I dunno what's going to happen."

Next came the really unpleasant part, especially with eyes on her. Zoe took her gloves off quickly, trying not to think about it too much, and breathed deeply a few times, gathering up some strength. Stretching out her arms to the convoy, she focused on each driver in turn, willing them to be disoriented and blurry-eyed. Yeah, catching the lead car and sending it into a spin to snag the rest of them would have been great, but somehow she didn't see that happening. She held the stream as long as she could, desperately hoping to force a few of them off the road, before the effort finally became too much, and she slumped, her arms flashing vivid colors all over the spectrum.
    Solo d8, Blue and Green d8, Neural Ray d8, Combat d6 (for lack of a better idea), Afflict SFX d6, Area Attack 13 d6

Shutting down Touched by a Chitauri for a pp, and creating Disoriented Complications on the whole mess of bad guys. Spending that pp for 18 total, and the other half of Afflict SFX to have d8s across the board.

Geth roll 15d6;3d8

15d6 54 [15d6=2, 3, 4, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 5, 4, 5, 2, 3, 3, 1]
    3d8 15 [3d8=5, 3, 7]

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Doom Pool: 2d6; 4d8

The drivers felt a slight wave of nausea but it hardly effects their driving. The gang of cars zip through traffic, cutting off drivers, and merging in and out of lanes too fast for Zoe's Neural Ray to get any hold.

Team 14d10, Hot Pursuit d8, Speed d8, Vehicle d8

20 d10

Geth roll 14#1d10;3#1d8

14#1d10 14 # 7 [1d10=7] 4 [1d10=4] 10 [1d10=10] 4 [1d10=4] 9 [1d10=9] 2 [1d10=2] 2 [1d10=2] 6 [1d10=6] 3 [1d10=3] 2 [1d10=2] 2 [1d10=2] 6 [1d10=6] 10 [1d10=10] 3 [1d10=3]
    3#1d8 3 # 8 [1d8=8] 7 [1d8=7] 1 [1d8=1]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    @Captain Carrot to decide whose next?

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Trying to make sure I understand, so I apologize in advance. Can attack the D4 directly? LIke doing something that would make us harder to follow or something along those lines?

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Yes, the Timer die represents the distance/ability to be tracked between the van and the bad guys cars. The Helicopter was all that was keeping the Timer die from disappearing. Since you guys 1 Hit OK'd the Helicopter, the die can be removed. Attacking the die is just as you think, creating someway to distance yourself and lose your pursuers. You roll against the Doom Pool when attacking the Timer die.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Majestic Orb Spider -PP2, 1XP

In a fluid motion Majestic Orb Spider helped lower Zoe into a seat before taking her place at the door. There were a lot of cars and fighting cars was a completely new experience for him. He needed a way to slow them down. Inspiration came quickly as a large sign passed overhead. He had noticed the signs running above the road that told drivers of the upcoming exits but he had never given them much thought. If he did it right, it could buy his team some time.

The chain whip slipped easily from the coils around his arm. There was a hum in the air as he begun to spin the whip, building momentum with each rotation. When the next overhead sign passed by he let the chain fly.

Trying to bring down the sign onto the road.

Solo 10, Living Weapon 8, Enhanced Reflexes 8, Mystic Chain Weapon 8, Combat Master 10,
    Geth roll 2#1d10;3#1d8

14D8 to bring down the sign.

2#1d10 2 # 8 [1d10=8] 1 [1d10=1]
    3#1d8 3 # 4 [1d8=4] 6 [1d8=6] 4 [1d8=4]

Ken O on
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    A loud hiss then a even louder screech of metal burns through the air until the exit sign fall down behind them. Cars slam on their brakes and come to a halt as they try to not slam into the sudden debris in their way. Jack comes through the headset. "That's a bit flashy but it got the job done. Come home. You've got school tomorrow."

Geth roll 2#1d6;4#1d8 for Doom Pool

12 d8 so sign comes down. Timer is gone. I'll update the next area later. Everyone gets 2XP for completing the act.

Doom Pool:
    2#1d6 2 # 5 [1d6=5] 2 [1d6=2]
    4#1d8 4 # 3 [1d8=3] 6 [1d8=6] 3 [1d8=3] 6 [1d8=6]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Majestic Orb Spider -PP2, 3XP

Majestic Orb Spider turns to face his team. The sound of car horns and collisions are loud behind him. A practiced movement of his forearm sends the chain whip snaking around it.

With a grim determination he announces to the team, "I am not a Toby."

Ken O on
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Dale gets the van back to the brownstone apartment without further incidents and drives behind the building to a garage door that once was used as a loading bay when the brownstone was a meat store back in the 70s. Jack Carter and Jillian Kane are waiting for them when they arrive. Salvador lands in the alley in a half panther, half wolf creature made to be fast and stealthy. The van's back door opens up to Kate dragging Mr. Fawn out of the van. The bodyguard stumbles out, still shaky from his hit from the forklift. The rest of the group hops out of the side doors.

"Good work guys. Mr. Fawn, what's in the boxes?" Jillian says as she starts to pull one of the smaller containers out.
    "Just artifacts. Stuff for the Museum."
    Jack gives him a look. "We know you got fired from the Museum of Natural History almost a year ago. So let's cut the song and dance."
    "I don't have to tell you anything. Once my employers find me, you'll be the ones dancing on strings. You and your teenage soldiers."
    "Then we'll take you to our holding cells until you feel like talking." Jillian grabs Mr. Fawn and guides him to the holding cell. The Bodyguard just follows, knowing he's been beat.

"The rest of you guys should get some rest. Tomorrow is the first day of school for some of you." Jack says before lifting his hand to stop the coming waves of protest. "It's important to keep a low profile and part of that is doing mundane things like going to school or working a job. This school was a SHIELD facility before the Incident for children of SHIELD agents, kept off the records thankfully. Stark paid to have it rebuilt and it's under similar management now. I worked the system and got all of you in. Your days are to learn and train, and your nights are to help stop whatever threat comes up. And hopefully, we'll get some information from Mr. Fawn and his bodyguard before long."

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Zoe Carter, 2 pp, 6 XP

No more than a minute after trying to take out the convoy, Zoe recovered the strength to put her gloves on again, now covering very pale skin with markings somewhat faded. Anyone glancing at her would notice them; deciding to make a remark is, of course, a different story.
    She's not going to be comfortable talking about them, but that doesn't mean it won't be interesting to me for someone to ask.

"Study group!" Zoe exclaims half-heartedly. "Seriously, we're going to need to work together to kick butt in two arenas at once, and I'm betting we can cancel out each other's weaknesses. I've got chemistry and trig covered, but English lit bores the crap out of me."

Zoe puts on a good show, but Jack can tell she could use some fatherly reassurance. Then again, maybe Allison will be able to handle it better. She's handling paperwork at the apartment right now -- he's not entirely comfortable with bringing classified information home, but she's reminded him more than once that the security is just as good, and she doesn't like being in the office all day. 'A happy agent is an effective agent', after all.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Majestic Orb Spider -PP2, 3XP

Majestic Orb Spider nodded quietly at the mention of school. Thomas and Jillian had already had a long discussion with him about how important it would be to learn about his new home. He was still troubled how easy it was for Mr. Fawn to confuse him and began the walk back to the apartment looking unhappy.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    The Next Morning...
    Doom Pool: 2d6

The news crews were outside of the Holly Chan High School the next morning. Many of the student rushed inside, desperate not to be filmed. A blonde news lady spoke into her mic as the group turned the corner. "This is Jemima Davis of News 12 and we are standing outside the newly finished Holly Chan High School. This place was made famous during the Battle of New York after a video online showed the History teacher, Mrs. Holly Chan, defending the school against the Chitauri forces saved hundreds of students' lives while effectually losing her own in the fight. In total, 42 students and 3 teachers were killed here that day, making it one of the hardest hit locations during the attacks. The school was rebuilt, funded by Stark Industries, named after the hero teacher, and is now one of the most advance learning facilities in New York City." Jemima notices the group (Minus Dale because of his cyborgness) and tries to talk to them. "You are students here at Holly Chan High School, yes? How does it feel to return to this place after so long?"

You guys can answer the reporter, which will be against the very small Doom Pool (new Act, new Doom Pool, new PPs, everyone has 1PP again.) or choose to walk on. It will effect public opinion of the students of the school. @jdarksun, I left you out of the school thing, for now, because of your character's unique look, however, you have another scene I'm about to write up for what Dale's doing.

• Options
    Back at the Brownstone Base...

Dale felt his battery packs recharge and unplugged himself from the outlet. The other teens had left, from the sounds of things, which left Dale alone. School wasn't important to Dale, all the information he wanted could easily be downloaded into his head, but sometimes he missed the chaos of being a student. Maybe online courses for college might be in order.

Dale headed downstairs, to the secret SHIELD base below the Brownstone. SHIELD had been using this place for a long time, judging by the type of tech that littered the place. There was one room, still sealed after all this years, that held a circle of old computers and some Silver Pod that opened up in three places. The place always gave Dale the creeps. It reminded him of the table during the Cyborglok program.

Jillian Kane was standing outside of Holding Cell 1. The one-way glass allowed her to look at Mr. Fawn as he stand in a steel chair, handcuffed to a plain table. He looked forward, never turning his head or even bothering to wipe the sweat from his forehead. "Good, you're awake. The others are off to school so I thought I'd let you have a go cracking this guy. I think he's ready, but he might be hard to convince giving us his secrets. We haven't been able to open the large box yet. The smaller containers had broken Chitauri tech; speeder parts, parts of the guns, and a mask or two. Nothing major but the larger box is different. We don't have the tool to crack it open, so if you can get the passkey from him, we could open it up. And try not to rough him up too hard."

Dale, you can look at the Chitauri tech, including the box, before you go in or you can start talking to Fawn in the Holding Cell. Or Talk to the Bodyguard, if you feel that might be a better route.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Zoe Carter, 1 pp, 6 XP

"It's been rough for a lot of people, coping with the aftermath of . . . all that, but personally, I'm glad to come back here. It's a reminder that life goes on, and that school doesn't have to be just a place we go for four years and then forget about completely. We're still here, you know?"

She pulls at her gloves a little, sweating at the attention, but is careful not to let the camera catch anything.

Gifted Student d8, Solo d8, Smooth-Talk d8, Psych d8 = 16 d8

Geth roll 4d8

4d8 21 [4d8=2, 3, 8, 8]

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Majestic Orb Spider, PP1, 3XP

Even with the prior day's excitement Majestic Orb Spider had been up before dawn. Quietly he went up to the Brownstone's roof for his early morning routine. He greeted the day with meditation. He cleansed himself of yesterday's events and focused his mind for the new day. After centering himself he began his workout. As the city began waking up around him he practiced his stretches, punches, and kicks. The sun was just beginning to rise as he finished. Before heading down to clean up he checked the small vegetable garden the Kane’s had help him set up. The garden was the only thing that felt like home to him. It was too early to harvest anything from it, but that would come in time.

The serenity of his morning came to a crashing halt with the start of the school day. The school was surrounded by news crews. Throngs of people with cameras, lights, and other equipment set upon the students like starving animals. They made him nervous. He silently rehearsed his cover story in his head, “His name was Li Wei Smith. He is from a small village in Nepal. His name was Li Wei Smith…”

As they turned a corner one of the news crews was right in front of them. To his relief Zoe began talking to the blonde woman. He desperately wanted to keep moving, it would be easy to slip into the school without talking to anyone at this point. Instead he waited for Zoe to finish, it didn’t seem right to leave her alone with these predators.

Just realized I wrote a whole lot without actually 'doing' anything. Sorry about that.

Ken O on
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Doom Pool can't beat a 16 so I'm not going to roll.

"Of course. Thank you." Jemima says before turning back to the camera. "As you can see it's a bittersweet day for the students here. Now back to you in the studio with the follow up story to that massive creature that terrorized the 94 last night, destroying one vehicle and ripping down a street sign..."

The Holly Chan High School looked much like the old Midtown High building did before the Incident, a three story white building, except now fitted with a water fountain in the front. Flowers and pictures of the students and teachers who died during the Attack cover the base, a reminder that the wounds are still fresh, years later. After a brief assembly from Principal Richard West and Vice-Principal Allison Berkovich, students received their class schedules and began the old routine of going to class, meeting between bells, and repeat.

During his computer class, Salvador was half asleep. The class was boring, telling him or any other teenager didn't know already. Suddenly, a message in a chat window appeared on his screen. The handle from from someone called "RT371"

Nice work on the 94.
    The stuff you grabbed is dangerous, but I guess you know that.
    Ask Fawn about the Toy Man

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Dale Murphy - 3PP, 1XP

Dale picked through the broken alien technology, not expecting to find anything but wondering if any of it would catch his eye. Not seeing anything in particular, he checked his power levels and kicked on the full suite - then stepped through the wall. Dale waited there, invisible, staring at Fawn's back, wondering how long it would be before the man sensed he wasn't alone in the room.

Do you want me to roll something here for unsettling him? Is the Doom Pool 2d6 for me too?

• Options
    You can take some kind of action against him. The Doom Pool is 2d6 for you too, but trying to spook him is an action against him.

• Options
    Just posting because I don't want to see this stall out.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Figured I'd throw out a post to see if anyone wanted to continue this.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
  • Options
    I kept meaning to do that. Whose turn is it?

Looks like Salvador/OptimusZed and Dale/JDarksun.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Yeah, if @OptimusZed and @jdarksun wish to continue, I'm down with picking this back up. I'll be your Watcher until the cops make me stop. :winky:

• Options
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Dale Murphy - 3PP, 1XP

Ghost-in-the-Machine dropped power to the active camouflage device, becoming visible in the room. Intangibility field still active, he stepped through Fawn and seated himself across the other man.

"So," began Ghost. "You're going to tell me what I want to know, or else we can experiment with what happens when I materialize my fist inside your kidney."
    Geth, roll 1d6;1d8;1d8 for Solo, Ghostlok Prototype, and Intangibility
    Geth, roll 2d6 in opposition

11 w/ d8 effect vs. 2 w/ d6

I'm not dead... yet.

Solo, Ghostlok Prototype, and Intangibility:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]
    1d8 7 [1d8=7]
    in opposition:
    2d6 4 [2d6=2, 2]

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Fawn looks scared at Dale's ghosting act. "Please, don't do that. What do you want?"

• Options
    Dale Murphy - 3PP, 1XP

"For starters, tell me everything you know about what's in the large box. Did you open it? Do you know what's inside? Who were you delivering it to?"

• Options
    "You haven't opened it yet? The large box contains a completely unharmed Chitauri body. Still alive." Fawn takes off his glasses and rubs them on his shirt.

"After the Battle of New York, the city was in chaos and celebration. And rightfully so. They just survived the first alien invasion, ever. They took most of the Chitauri and beat them, hung them from lightpoles and burned them. Chopped them up. By the time SHIELD and the Army got there to collect the remains, most were badly damaged. I was studying Chitauri tech for the Museum of Natural History, but every time we tried to get anything, SHIELD would take it. So I had to get crafty, got to dealing with black market goods and the Museum didn't like that. So they fired me. Later, some private company hires me to continue my research. Never got an official name, they just call themselves The Company. But they had money and I needed the work. So I use my black market contacts, keep my ear to the surface and one day I hear about a sale on a unharmed Chitauri Soldier. Someone very rich had kept it in his private collection until his recent death. The body goes missing and ends up going for the highest bidder. Which was me."

"The body is the most important piece in that collection. The tech is good too, but what I could learn so much about them, how they live, why they just suddenly stopped fighting, the medical impact this one body could make would be revolutionary alone. And what if they are modified, genetically? The possibilities are worth the price. But I guess that doesn't matter now. The Company isn't going to like that I got captured by a bunch of teenage Avengers."

• Options
    Well...that was a thing.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    jdarksun's not available for playing much. Who goes next?

• Options
    Honestly unless we want to tag everyone for one last shot, I think it was just you, me, and Grunt left.

Comics, Games, Booze