As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Where'd he go?!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The wife and I are expecting our first child in November. We got a play mat for her to roll around on. It didn't quite look right, so I made a lot of special modifications myself.

cw8fyelf6qjo.jpg

c1bzmlftual4.jpg

e6ebibft76bn.jpg

1.jpg 183.3K
    2.jpg 151.1K
    3.jpg 155K
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Ornament or not, this has quotes from A New Hope and would look cool on a deck.

http://shop.hallmark.com/ornaments/keepsake-ornaments/star-wars-a-new-hope-y-wing-starfighter-ornament-2995QXI2567.html

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The wife and I are expecting our first child in November. We got a play mat for her to roll around on. It didn't quite look right, so I made a lot of special modifications myself.

cw8fyelf6qjo.jpg

c1bzmlftual4.jpg

e6ebibft76bn.jpg

How much can I buy one from you for my niece?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    TIE Interceptor: · Carnor Jax (26)
    Push The Limit (3)
    Autothrusters (2)
    Royal Guard TIE (0)
    Stealth Device (3)
    TIE Interceptor: · Turr Phennir (25)
    Push The Limit (3)
    Autothrusters (2)
    Royal Guard TIE (0)
    Stealth Device (3)
    TIE Interceptor: · Tetran Cowall (24)
    Push The Limit (3)
    Autothrusters (2)
    Royal Guard TIE (0)
    Stealth Device (3)

Torn between PTL and Outmaneuver. Also, one of my weaknesses is that I will actively avoid the time-tested strategies. I don't want to pilot Soontir because we all know he's good.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    D0rkAnglD0rkAngl Lynnwood, WARegistered User regular
    I'm finally going to install Vassal tonight (yay newborns). I guess @Grunt's Ghosts will get to deal with me learning it (somewhat) during our first game. Sorry! Also, we should play soon. I'll PM you. :)

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    TIE Interceptor: · Carnor Jax (26)
    Push The Limit (3)
    Autothrusters (2)
    Royal Guard TIE (0)
    Stealth Device (3)
    TIE Interceptor: · Turr Phennir (25)
    Push The Limit (3)
    Autothrusters (2)
    Royal Guard TIE (0)
    Stealth Device (3)
    TIE Interceptor: · Tetran Cowall (24)
    Push The Limit (3)
    Autothrusters (2)
    Royal Guard TIE (0)
    Stealth Device (3)

Torn between PTL and Outmaneuver. Also, one of my weaknesses is that I will actively avoid the time-tested strategies. I don't want to pilot Soontir because we all know he's good.

What other ships do you own? The problem is you are taking 3 very underpowered for their cost ships. You have 9 hit points, with bad rolls you could be wiped off the table on the first turn.

Also @D0rkAngl you should play a practice round before your game, the program is not intuitive.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I would hardly call TIE Interceptors underpowered...
    They have several of the flat-out, hands-down best pilots in the game, and the basic Alpha Squadron pilots + autothrusters do tremendous work for 20 points.

Jax & Turr are both extremely mean little buggers.

Tetran is less of a threat but also has less of a target painted on his face.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    They have several of the flat-out, hands-down best pilots in the game, and the basic Alpha Squadron pilots + autothrusters do tremendous work for 20 points.

Autothrusters AND Stealth device give them a lot of defense.
    At range 3 you are throwing 6 green dice and getting a free blank->evade. That's pretty insane.

He's only at 75 points too. i r dum

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    @crimsoncoyote the three pilot list is 99 pts

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    @crimsoncoyote the three pilot list is 99 pts

Whoooops I was reading the wrong line. But that makes a lot more sense :P

• Options
    I decided that @DaMoonRulz was too intimidating so I flew off the board during our knife fights.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    The thing about Interceptors, that I've noticed, is that they're really high-skill ships.

They're very fragile, once they start taking hits, but if you're really good at flying them around you can dodge attacks so, so well that their fragility isn't an issue.

It takes a whole freakin' lot of practice for that to happen, though, and it's really easy to end up with one (or more) out of position and either get run into by your own squad or find itself accidentally under an opponent's guns, and they just don't have the staying power to survive that very often.

That being said, my absolute favorite thing in the world (given my normal squad lists) is an Interceptor with a stress token, so I encourage each and every one to take PTL. :D

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Yeah, a couple of them can work well when paired up with some other ships, however they are a lot of points for something that can be completely wiped out or crippled in the opening round with a bad roll, if you go all in with them. Which is why I asked what else he had, for the points he is paying for Tetran he could get a darth vader with atc and expert handling.

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »

Yeah, a couple of them can work well when paired up with some other ships, however they are a lot of points for something that can be completely wiped out or crippled in the opening round with a bad roll, if you go all in with them. Which is why I asked what else he had, for the points he is paying for Tetran he could get a darth vader with atc and expert handling.

I have other stuff I could play, but Interceptors have Intercepted my heart. Live by the squint, die by the squint.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Morkath wrote: »

I have other stuff I could play, but Interceptors have Intercepted my heart. Live by the squint, die by the squint.

Same here. Which is why I'm probably going to get destroyed momentarily.

Whoops. Didn't realise there was a new version of the module. Better get that set up.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    I love Interceptors as they are really good at getting and out of range. But they are bigger targets than the Fighters as you usually run named pilots with them while Fighters are commonly Academy Pilots swarming around one named pilot like Howlrunner.

• Options
    I had the biggest love affair with Phantoms before the nerf and BTL Y-Wings afterwards. I just like pretending they're space A-10s and that is gratifying. Also I've always enjoyed the HWK-290.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Fuselage wrote: »
    I had the biggest love affair with Phantoms before the nerf and BTL Y-Wings afterwards. I just like pretending they're space A-10s and that is gratifying. Also I've always enjoyed the HWK-290.

BTL Y-wings can do some work

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    First game goes to @Elvenshae

Some thoughts:
    1. Vader with an ATC is nasty.
    2. But not as nasty as Fel with 3 Focus tokens, 2 Stress Tokens and an Evade. (Vader set him on fire.)
    3. I need to stop flying Interceptors into the middle of the debris field.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    @Chrysis and I were able to get our first-round game in this evening (for me) / early morning (for him).

In a hidden Imperial manufacturing facility, the Empire's finest pilots converge to put the newly-designed Interceptors through their paces against the current top-of-the-line in Imperial weapons: the TIE Advanced x1 Prototypes. Flying the prototypes, deemed far too expensive for full-scale production, are noted Imperial Ace Maarek Stele and CMDR Alozen, the leader of Storm Squadron, one of the few operational units to field the TIE Advanced.

Facing the TIE Advanceds, in their new Interceptors, were three of the finest TIE Fighter pilots in existence: Baron Soontir Fel and his two lieutenants, Tetran Cowell and Turr Phenirr. As the three made their way to their craft, a contingent of Stormtroopers ran into the hangar, taking up careful positions.

Moments later, Darth Vader himself, Dark Lord of the Sith, entered, and made his way over to his personal TIE. He shared a long look across the hangar with Fel, and the two nodded to each other, a gesture of respect, before each boarded their craft.

Making their way to a nearby debris field containing the remnants of failed experiments, the six ships separated and, at a pre-arranged signal, assumed an attack posture. The test had begun.

Straight away, Lord Vader put the ridiculous speed and maneuverability of his personally-tuned starfighter to good use, diving deep into the debris field and leaving his squadmates behind. Across the field, the three Interceptor pilots did likewise, opening up the throttles on their very fast ships. Too late, Turr Phennir realized that his actions brought him under the guns of Lord Vader, who squeezed off several shots, peppering the craft and causing a simulated minor fire in the ship's untested engines.

Soon the general furball was joined, with numerous blasts from the Interceptors' quad-linked laser cannons arrowing in on Darth Vader, "collapsing" his ship's shields. By that time, Maarek had joined the fight, and his careful shots forced Tetran Cowell to evade, rushing away from the combat and dodging between two asteroids for cover. Phennir though to use his ship's incredible mobility to rush in, fire off a few shots, and dash away, but he found himself pinned in between the remains of several droid-piloted TIEs and an asteroid, and could not escape.

That allowed Darth Vader to loop around behind him, and close in for the "kill." It's systems disabled, Phennir's TIE Int drifted, dark, for the remainder of the fight.

Cowall then pulled his throttles back hard, kicking in the etheric rudder to swing tightly around the asteroid he had been using for cover, hoping to catch Alozen or Vader unawares. Alozen, however, skillfully maneuvered his craft around the asteroid, blocking the most direct path for Cowall, who was forced to barrel roll out of the way. Still, it put Cowall in an incredibly advantageous position, coming in on the flank of the veteran TIE Adv pilot, his guns hungry for vengeance.

Unfortunately for Cowall, Darth Vader heard his hatred-filled thoughts through the Force, and smiled grimly beneath his helmet. Vader launched a dummy proton rocket at the exact correct moment, and it slammed into the cockpit glass of Cowall's Interceptor mere microseconds before he could tighten his fist down on the firing stud. His electronics immediately went dead - the second kill of the day for Lord Vader.

That left Baron Soontir Fel alone against three TIE Advanceds, only one of which had suffered any meaningful damage. Rather than turning tail and running for safety, the Baron instead pulled back into combat, listening to the target-lock warning beeps from his console as Vader sought a lock on the remaining vessel.

When the tone went solid, Vader lightly caressed the triggers, going for a surgical kill on the lesser pilot. Somehow, though, Fel had hid his intentions well enough from the Force that Vader's shots succeeded only in causing yet another simulated engine fire, leaving the Interceptor's upgraded weaponry intact. Fel fired, his laser cannon blasts stitching across the unshield Advanced - and Vader's ship went dark.

Buoyed by that victory, Fel rushed back towards the two remaining TIE Advanceds, hoping to catch them before they could regroup. Unfortunately, Maarek Stele and CMDR Alozen slotted in together as if they'd been flying together for years, and Fel found himself facing the combined guns of both at short range. Making a snap decision, Fel sought to eliminate Stele before his shields returned, and went all-out in his attack. Maarek took Fel's initial shots on the shield, moving just enough out of the way that they remained up, and fired his own return blast, directly into Fel's cockpit. The last remaining funtional interceptor went dark.

The test concluded, the ships which had been "destroyed" were powered back up, and returned to the Imperial facility for further testing.

Thanks to @Chrysis for a fantastic game! Going a little dark side was a fun change of pace!
    • Elvenshae: Prototype Squadron (100)
      • Darth Vader (40)
        • TIE Advanced (29)
        • TIE/x1 (0)
        • Proton Rockets (3)
        • Outmaneuver (3)
        • Engine Upgrade (4)
        • Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
      • Maarek Stele (31)
        • TIE Advanced (27)
        • TIE/x1 (0)
        • Proton Rockets (3)
      • Commander Alozen (29)
        • TIE Advanced (25)
        • TIE/x1 (0)
        • Proton Rockets (3)
    • Chrysis: A Chrysis of Interceptors (100)
      • Soontir Fel (35)
        • TIE Interceptor (27)
        • Royal Guard TIE (0)
        • Push the Limit (3)
        • Stealth Device (3)
        • Autothrusters (2)
      • Turr Phennir (33)
        • TIE Interceptor (25)
        • Royal Guard TIE (0)
        • Push the Limit (3)
        • Stealth Device (3)
        • Autothrusters (2)
      • Tetran Cowall (32)
        • TIE Interceptor (24)
        • Royal Guard TIE (0)
        • Push the Limit (3)
        • Stealth Device (3)
        • Autothrusters (2)

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    I think, if Fel didn't have that bonus Stress token courtesy of Vader he might have survived. Might. Or if I'd gone with my first instinct and just gunned it straight. But those are lessons for next time.

• Options
    Chrysis wrote: »
    I think, if Fel didn't have that bonus Stress token courtesy of Vader he might have survived. Might. Or if I'd gone with my first instinct and just gunned it straight. But those are lessons for next time.

Yeah, at that last move I really, really expected you to take a hard left, extend, and escape, and then try to use your ability to boost and make green 2-hard turns to come around on the flank in a couple of turns.

I mean, I was hoping you'd come back towards me, which is why I grouped up my ships facing that direction, but I didn't think you'd actually do it. :D:D:D

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Rebels Season Two NYCC trailer has a shot of an Interdictor cruiser. I know it's too big for X-wing, but it's nice to see them as canon. I always dug the concept of the Empire setting up along known hyperspace routes and dragging random ships out of hyperspace for inspections. It's stupid and inefficient, but seems like the kind of thing they might get up to.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Interdictors are basically space blockade ships and make a lot of sense from a tactical perspective. It's also obvious why they aren't everywhere all the time - since they function indiscriminately, it's just too damn inconvenient for galactic travel to be omnipresent.

• Options
    I'm around notndoing anything if people want to get in some scrimmages

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I suppose I should get Vassal updated. 5.6 is the one people are running, correct?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I suppose I should get Vassal updated. 5.6 is the one people are running, correct?

I've been running 5.5.0, because I just upgraded and then almost immediately after that they released 5.6; I didn't see any major updates in it?

Spawn Middle Barrel Roll Token is a neat add in 5.5, though! :D

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    @Sokpuppet and I finished our game. After a little first round good and bad luck I was able to pull out a win. Sok and I both had some good maneuvers, and some pants on head "lets run into ourselves!" flying. I guess we are both a bit rusty!

A great first game though! Thanks Sokpuppet!

My ships.. I picked up the ion missiles thinking I could set up an easy first out against an enemy as I closed range. Turns out that they were useless. Also since sokpuppets squad was mostly pilot skill 4 the intelligence agent wasn't too hot either. I think just about every autoblaster shot I was able to use opportunist though.

YT Squad

Chewbacca and Dash Rendar

100 Points

54 points
    • Dash Rendar YT-2400 Freighter
    Opportunist
    Autoblaster
    Ion Pulse Missiles
    Intelligence Agent
    Outrider

46 points
    • Chewbacca YT-1300
    Draw Their Fire
    "Leebo"
    Millennium Falcon

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    After a short 7 rotations, explosions have rocked the galaxy as dogfights erupt across the sectors!
    Some pilots live, others aren't so lucky...

Previous Round:
    1st Round: Oct 5-Oct11
    crimsoncoyote - BYE
    @Fuselage - W vs. @DaMoonRulz - L
    @webguy20 - W vs. @Sokpuppet - L
    @Grunt's Ghosts - ?? vs. @D0rkAngl - ??
    @Chrysis - L vs. @Elvenshae - W

... but it's just the beginning. The fleets re-route themselves and encounter new foes!

Week 2 begins now:
    2nd Round: Oct 12-Oct 18
    Sokpuppet vs. crimsoncoyote
    D0rkAngl vs. DaMoonRulz
    Elvenshae vs. webguy20
    Chrysis vs. Grunt's Ghosts

Upcoming:

3rd Round: Oct 19-Oct 25
    crimsoncoyote vs. D0rkAngl
    Sokpuppet vs. Elvenshae
    DaMoonRulz vs. Chrysis
    webguy20 vs. Grunt's Ghosts

4th Round: Oct 26-Nov 1
    Elvenshae vs. crimsoncoyote
    Chrysis vs. D0rkAngl
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. Sokpuppet
    webguy20 vs. DaMoonRulz

5th Round: Nov 2-Nov 8
    crimsoncoyote vs. Chrysis
    Elvenshae vs. Grunt's Ghosts
    D0rkAngl vs. webguy20
    Sokpuppet vs. DaMoonRulz

6th Round: Nov 9-Nov 15
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. crimsoncoyote
    webguy20 vs. Chrysis
    DaMoonRulz vs. Elvenshae
    Sokpuppet vs. D0rkAngl

7th Round: Nov 16-Nov 22
    crimsoncoyote vs. webguy20
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. DaMoonRulz
    Chrysis vs. Sokpuppet
    Elvenshae vs. D0rkAngl

(Let me know if I missed anything)

• Options
    @D0rkAngl in the words of Mike Nelson: I'm gonna squint the hell out of you.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    After a short 7 rotations, explosions have rocked the galaxy as dogfights erupt across the sectors!

Previous Round:
    @Grunt's Ghosts - ?? vs. @D0rkAngl - ??

We had a huge pile of scheduling conflicts and will be playing this week.

• Options
    D0rkAngl wrote: »

Previous Round:
    "Grunt's Ghosts" - ?? vs. D0rkAngl - ??

We had a huge pile of scheduling conflicts and will be playing this week.
    Not a problem! Scheduling is probably the hardest battle you'll fight for the whole season ;-)

• Options
    Yeah, last week the fair came to town and all my shows came back and shit got bogged down. This week is Homecoming for the local college (and I work nights at McDonalds just blocks from the University) so I'm trying to get my two games in this week when I can. I'm sure one or both of them is going to be me flying tired.

• Options
    I may or may not also be stalling while I wait for more minis to get delivered. (Not really, but I do have more on the way!)

• Options
    D0rkAngl wrote: »
    I may or may not also be stalling while I wait for more minis to get delivered. (Not really, but I do have more on the way!)

image.jpg?w=400&c=1

• Options
    guys I haven't played x-wing in sooooo long

what should I fly against @Sokpuppet this week?

• Options
    guys I haven't played x-wing in sooooo long

what should I fly against @Sokpuppet this week?

Nothing but unupgraded Headhunters / TIEs / Headhunters; faction to taste.