As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Old thread abandoned due to Hydra infiltration.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    It's amazing how little faith people have in TV writers these days. I'm pretty sure things are a plotted out for years. Maybe not the finer details but they don't just start writing the next season the day the last season ends.

let me introduce you to a show called Supernatural.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Naphtali wrote: »
    It's amazing how little faith people have in TV writers these days. I'm pretty sure things are a plotted out for years. Maybe not the finer details but they don't just start writing the next season the day the last season ends.

uhhhhhh

for everyone one show that does, there's plenty that are story based that don't (or make it look like they are when they're completely seat of their pants, or are heavily derailed from real life events that intervene in plans)
    there's nothing wrong with having cautious skepticism about developments. I mean hell, the first half of the first season looks ROUGH on its own without the rest of the season filling in the gaps, and there's a reason why it tended not to keep viewership going from that at the time

The problems from the first section of season one may have been in part due to over planning. Looking back, you can see the plan in place for almost every episode. Basically every episode introduces some plot point that's been a constant part of the universe since. It feels to me like they knew exactly what points they wanted to hit and introduce, didn't quite know how to best use the cast that they had, and they had trouble fitting episodes around the people and the plot points.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure they're not tossing a plotline. But "blasted hellscape" is kind of hard to make interesting (and yeah, expensive if thats not the rest of your show).
    But now I've been having visions of it turning out to be a monster in a Simmons suit, and Fitz's reaction to that. It makes me sad. So you see writers, there's no need to do that at all!

Pfff. That isn't a monster, it's a Skrull.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    Fun fact
    Baby Von Strucker was Bruce Willis' son in 'Unbreakable'.

God I feel old.

He was also the kid in Gladiator.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Codenames are just superhero names with a veneer of realism. And even then that doesn't cover Daredevil or Antman.

Star Lord
    Drax the Destroyer
    The Collector
    The Kingpin
    Deathlok

- Egotistical delusions of grandeur
    - A nickname earned, not self chosen
    - A nickname earned, and fully adopted
    - I don't remember if they even called him Kingpin in the Netflix show
    - The name of the Hydra/Garrett project, which evolved into a nickname for Mike.

Many superheroes didn't pick their hero name in comic books, but had it chosen by newspapers or the like. Superman wasn't like "Hey everyone, call me Superman!"

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Entaru wrote: »
    Pet theory:
    While the sound wave stuff is a way to force trigger the portal I believe it actually is designed to trigger around Inhumans. It's a way to banish them.

The whole set-up was a foreshadowing that Jemma is an Inhuman which will cause a lot of internal conflict in her character because of her whole anti-powers stance.

You'll notice that
    The thing didn't do anything despite Fitz hammering on it. But when they closed the door (With Daisy helping) it went liquid. The scene with the stones from the hat seemed to activate immediately upon the guy entering the room. I'm guessing you're right and it activates when there's an inhuman nearby. Presumably it doesn't open from the other side the same way, trapping them there to succumb to being eaten/starve/inhuman radiation/something. Also, "Was killed and is now a Skrull" is a strong possibility. Less so since we saw the scene with her hiding and obscuring the cut.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    For general clarification: Skrulls are a part of FF4. As in the rights to them are tied up with the FF4. Meaning the MCU can't use them, references them or show them.

And despite the belly flop that was Fant4stic, it will be a cold day in hell before Universal lets FF return to the MCU without serious money on the table. At best we get a Spidey situation.

As it stands: all theories regarding Skrulls are not happening, that includes shapechangers.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Chitauri can be Skrulls, like Inhumans are Mutants. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Didn't we have a mention of skrulls last season in SHIELD? probably by that Kree agent?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    We might not get Skrulls, but that doesn't mean we won't get Totally Not Skrulls.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Technically, only the Super Skrull is tied up with the Fantastic Four franchise.

However, I'm guessing Marvel wants to distance themselves as much as they can from the movie FF franchise and will be extremely hesitant to use them.

Doesn't mean they can't come up with a new shapechanging race.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    For general clarification: Skrulls are a part of FF4. As in the rights to them are tied up with the FF4. Meaning the MCU can't use them, references them or show them.

And despite the belly flop that was Fant4stic, it will be a cold day in hell before Universal lets FF return to the MCU without serious money on the table. At best we get a Spidey situation.

As it stands: all theories regarding Skrulls are not happening, that includes shapechangers.

IIRC they were in a situation like Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, they just can't use the Skrulls associated with FF. Everyone else should be fair game.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    wasn't there talk not long ago about Marvel and Fox doing a deal that would see FF rights* revert back to Marvel in exchange for letting Fox do an X-Men tv show?

*along with some other things i'd imagine giving how lopsided that deal would seem.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    wasn't there talk not long ago about Marvel and Fox doing a deal that would see FF rights* revert back to Marvel in exchange for letting Fox do an X-Men tv show?

*along with some other things i'd imagine giving how lopsided that deal would seem.

Nothing official, probably just rumorcrafting based on how the Spiderman deal went down.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

I'd like to point out again that we know literally nothing about the specifics of these deals.

As happened with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, it is unknown where the lines are drawn on what belongs to what.

The rumors I've heard are that Marvel can use Skrulls as a race, but not specific Skrulls used in FF properties.

You, obviously, have heard differently.

Anyone who is not a lawyer for Marvel or Fox has no legs to stand on to claim whether something is or is not owned by one side or the other.

• Options
    ExrielExriel Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Pet theory:
    While the sound wave stuff is a way to force trigger the portal I believe it actually is designed to trigger around Inhumans. It's a way to banish them.

The whole set-up was a foreshadowing that Jemma is an Inhuman which will cause a lot of internal conflict in her character because of her whole anti-powers stance.

You'll notice that
    The thing didn't do anything despite Fitz hammering on it. But when they closed the door (With Daisy helping) it went liquid. The scene with the stones from the hat seemed to activate immediately upon the guy entering the room. I'm guessing you're right and it activates when there's an inhuman nearby. Presumably it doesn't open from the other side the same way, trapping them there to succumb to being eaten/starve/inhuman radiation/something. Also, "Was killed and is now a Skrull" is a strong possibility. Less so since we saw the scene with her hiding and obscuring the cut.

This was my theory as well, but then when
    they were all in the castle loading the stone into the floor, Daisy was there, but the rock stayed solid until they turned on the machine. My new guess, based on the conversation with the alien in that same room, is that it always liquefies in the presence of the special frequency, like the machine and Daisy were able to re-create. I think that frequency may also be generated by some far away stellar object, like a black hole or maybe the planet where the stone takes you itself, and the liquefy events are just when the peak of the wave finally reaches the stone. If so, that would be something on a schedule that even ancient scientists could predict with enough observation time, allowing them to plan their ritual around it. The only reason our super team hasn't figured it out is that they are trying to match it to other known patterns, like earth's moon's lunar cycle, when they should be seeing it as its own unique pattern. It may still only try to grab inhumans, but I don't think anymore that their presence is the trigger.

This of course assumes that there wasn't just some continuity error in the beginning of the castle scene or that the writers decided to ignore it for plot reasons (since they probably wouldn't have tried to use the castle amplifier if it was already liquid when Daisy walked in the room).

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Tony refers to Iron Man in terms of the armor a lot rather than himself.

Ironman 3 would disagree.

That was the point of IM3, though, in that Tony's PTSD made his identity become dependent on the armour.

The end of Iron Man 3 clearly shows that Iron Man is more than just the armor, in Tony's mind.
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Fitz is awesome.
    What's the point of yelling at him at this point? He endangered himself only. Everything else everyone was already there for. And he's not going to give a shit that he endangered himself.

Not true on one point there.
    He endangered Daisy. Literally right before Fitz dove into that wormhole, Coulson was telling Daisy "Protect yourself, don't hold it open any longer than you have to, it's just a probe and we can lose that no problem. Don't kill yourself keeping it open."

And then boom, Fitz fucking jumps in and now he's put his life in Daisy's hands without any warning. Now she's weighing her own health against the fact that she might lose Fitz if she doesn't push herself as far as she possibly can. It was a dick move on Fitz's part. Heroic for Simmons, but a dick move to Daisy.

I would say only little not true:
    What happens if they closed the portal before they found Simmon's? I have to assume Daisy would hold it open as long as it would take/she could until Simmons was back. If it had been the probe it have been "There she is! HOLD IT OPEN <Longer>!". Yeah, he should have warned them, but I can't see Daisy dressing him down over it now.

Oh and Super Hero names: Define "often". Often enough most people know them.
    They had no reason to believe that this would be the last time they could open the portal. This was a send in a probe and see what we're dealing with so we can figure out how to save her moment, not a we need to save her right fucking now moment. At least for everyone other than Fitz.

No, Daisy wouldn't dress him down over it, but Phil should. Exactly the way he did when Ward jumped out of a plane to save Simmons.

Which reminds me, LOOK, FITZ GOT HIS CHANCE TO DO THAT TOO. YAY.
    He yelled at Jemma for jumping out of the plane (to kill herself so everyone else would be saved). He didn't say a thing to Ward, IIRC.

Skrulls are in shared territory, like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=58255

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Do we know exactly where Simmons was transported?

I haven't read many comics, I just assumed it was the negative zone because people always mention that place. I have no clue what that place actually is though

• Options
    Tommatt wrote: »

I haven't read many comics, I just assumed it was the negative zone because people always mention that place. I have no clue what that place actually is though

We don't know yet.

• Options
    Tommatt wrote: »

Negative Zone's not an option, that's definitely with the FF.

• Options
    The obelisk is activated by plotonium, a rare element that emits high concentrations of the theoretical plotino particle.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The obelisk is activated by plotonium, a rare element that emits high concentrations of the theoretical plotino particle.

not to be confused with pullingitoutourassium, though the two are fairly close on the periodic table.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015

They won't plot it out for years unless they're only interested in telling one story with a set end point. Instead what you'll hear from a lot of interviews with TV writers is that they leave in hooks in each episode that they can expand on and tie together later. Things like the slingshot, gravitonium, 084s, Skye's past, and Hydra, to use a few hooks from the first half of season one as an example.
    They have a solid plan for the season and an idea of what they want to do next.
    If you want to dial it back all the way, we're still dealing with that one hook of Skye's past. Skye > 084s as people > 084 as a single object > Diviner > Inhumans > Obelisk

It would probably be a really bad idea for the AoS writers to have their plan set in stone years ahead of time when they'll eventually want to add in bits from what everyone else is doing in the MCU playground.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean normal book authors don't know what they'll be writing and they have years. it's crazy to think TV Writers have a solid handle on their story far ahead of time.

• Options
    I get the feeling they're thinking forward just enough to employ proper foreshadowing and plotting, without hamstringing themselves by tying themselves to stories that might not really engage the audience. I think they've hit the serialized TV sweet spot.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I imagine they plan things out reletively in advance, if for no other reason than they have 1-2 tentpole movies they need to work storylines around every year.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I imagine they plan things out relatively in advance, if for no other reason than they have 1-2 tentpole movies they need to work storylines around every year.

Eh, maybe, but the only one they really built around was Winter Solider and that's because it was going to be their main hook for that season. The Thor tie in wasn't really built around it (And felt more like a story they did a pallete swap on to make it fit than one created solely for the movie), and the Age of Ultron one was almost entirely self-contained. They employ writers, so they're going to have more scripts and script ideas than they can shoot though.

I really doubt they've planned past the season after the one they're shooting.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Yeah, even the movies aren't plotted out that much despite their claims of Feige having some master plan and those are way more expensive, and profitable, than TV shows.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Was that group from the beginning someone we should know? I first thought of the Hellfire Club, but that's wrapped up with the X-Men.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

Actually, the way i understand it, Marvel has the rights to Skrulls, but NOT Super Skrulls.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    What about Superb Skrulls?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I will be quite surprised if
    that's not Simmons. As others have suggested, she'll probably just be spending the next few episodes dealing with her PTSD. Maybe we'll even get some flashbacks from the blue desert planet.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    It strongly suggested the more prosaic explanation to me
    Her waking seemed fearful

And she took comfort in Fitz's presence despite no one being there go see it and Fitz being asleep

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    It strongly suggested the more prosaic explanation to me
    Her waking seemed fearful

And she took comfort in Fitz's presence despite no one being there go see it and Fitz being asleep

uhh wat makes u think a skrull wouldnt want to get all up in dat hot fitz action

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Monster is kinda unlikely. possible brain worm, brain washing, implanted memories are far more likely.

Stargate crossover: Gemma is now a Goa'uld.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Monster is kinda unlikely. possible brain worm, brain washing, implanted memories are far more likely.

and a new fanfic was born.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

O'Neill: I remember Asgardians being... shorter.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Indeed...

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

Indeed...

*raises eyebrow

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Then Daniel Jackson dies, for some reason

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.