As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grilling Veggies

HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
More specificially grilling Asparagus.

I love the stuff. Recently I had some Asparagus from a restraunt that was grilled, which a little light seasoning on it. Yummy.

Anyways, wife and I don't own a grill. We have a George Foreman though, would that work? What would I need to do differently?

Anyone have any recommendations for easy asparagus grilling recipes? They should be healthy recipes, as yes I could easily soak it in butter, but I'd rather keep it healthy.

I'd take recommendations for any other grilled veggies that include Asparagus.

Oh yeah, and "LOL MY PEE SMELLS LOL"

There, I got it out of the way for you. :)

camo_sig2.png
Heir on

• Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    grilling asparagus is the easiest thing in the world. stick it on your foreman, grill it, and salt/pepper to taste

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    I'd suggest wetting the asparagus with some olive oil prior to grilling. Then season it with S/P. You don't have to go to town on it, just enough so that the seasoning sticks.

My other suggestion is to broil it if possible.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    Teh ErickaTeh Ericka Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    yeah, I usually broil mine.

here's my "recipe." (it's more like a protocol, really.)

- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed.
    - 1 lemon's worth of lemon juice
    - 1 tbsp. olive oil
    - salt and pepper to taste.

1) preheat broiler
    2) pour the lemon juice and olive oil into a large plastic bag, close it and shake until they emulsify to make a light vinaigrette.
    3) put the trimmed asparagus spears into the bag and shake again until they are all coated.
    4) dump them out onto a foil covered baking sheet, salt and pepper to taste
    5) place the pan on the center rack of the oven and broil until tender.

it's AWESOME.

Teh Ericka on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    LOL YOUR PEE SMELLS LOL

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Slungsolow wrote:
    I'd suggest wetting the asparagus with some olive oil prior to grilling. Then season it with S/P. You don't have to go to town on it, just enough so that the seasoning sticks.

Best advice.

All you need is olive oil and salt & pepper.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Comahawk wrote:
    Slungsolow wrote:

Best advice.

All you need is olive oil and salt & pepper.

And garlic, don't forget garlic. I wouldn't close the lid of your foreman. You can also just run down to Target or something and get a nonstick grill pan. Great for that kind of stuff.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oil the grill, not the asparagus. The Foreman is an idea, but you won't get the heat or the flavor from a Foreman as you would from a real grill. If anything, get a grill pan to set over your burners on your stove (if it's gas).

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Nitsuj82 wrote:
    Oil the grill, not the asparagus. The Foreman is an idea, but you won't get the heat or the flavor from a Foreman as you would from a real grill. If anything, get a grill pan to set over your burners on your stove (if it's gas).

Why exactly would you oil the non-stick grill?

You are not going to get the flavor of the olive oil the way you would if you drenched the aspargus spears in the oil itself.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    Slungsolow wrote:

Listen to this man. He knows his asparagus.

Also: Invest in a grill.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Another good way to have asparagus is to grat. (can't spell the full word :P ) it with hollandaise sauce. To spice up the hollandaise, use orange juice instead of lemon juice, technically it becomes Maltaise at this point.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Comahawk wrote:
    Nitsuj82 wrote:

You are not going to get the flavor of the olive oil the way you would if you drenched the aspargus spears in the oil itself.

Why would you want to soak it in oil? Kind of defeats the purpose of eating vegetables if you ask me.

Nitsuj82 on
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Heir wrote:
    Anyways, wife and I don't own a grill. We have a George Foreman though, would that work? What would I need to do differently?
    I just noticed that you don't have a grill, but you live in Houston. Why, oh good god why, do you NOT have a grill. I have four (different types) and you best believe I got good use of them when I lived in the Galleria area.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nitsuj82 wrote:
    Comahawk wrote:
    Nitsuj82 wrote:

Why would you want to soak it in oil? Kind of defeats the purpose of eating vegetables if you ask me.

It tastes good? :|

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Nitsuj82 wrote:
    Comahawk wrote:
    Nitsuj82 wrote:

we're talking about olive oil here, not coating the thing in rendered animal fat. It's done for flavor.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Nitsuj82 wrote:
    Comahawk wrote:
    Nitsuj82 wrote:

we're talking about olive oil here, not coating the thing in rendered animal fat. It's done for flavor.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Oil is oil. I agree that olive oil is tasty stuff though.

Nitsuj82 on
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oil, no oil, grill, no grill - this is not so important. The biggest thing about cooking asparagus is getting the timing right. Wait until they go a nice vivid green - should only take a few minutes - then pull them off. Overcooked asparagus sucks, but if you get it right it'll taste good even if you've put nothing at all on it.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Nitsuj82 wrote:

Olive Oil would be a little different than most oils, in that it is considered a healthy alternative to your straight up hydrogenated, polyunsaturated varieties.

that and it is damn tasty

Slungsolow on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Nitsuj82 wrote:

Olive Oil would be a little different than most oils, in that it is considered a healthy alternative to your straight up hydrogenated, polyunsaturated varieties.

that and it is damn tasty

Indeed. Olive oil is about as healthy as oils get, and used moderately isn't really bad for you at all. I don't typically dunk my asparagus in olive oil, but I brush it on pretty thoroughly. I often mix some garlic in with the oil before brushing it on. The oil soaks up the garlic flavor, which makes for a really tasty asparagus that's still pretty healthy.

Oh, and a note: Don't cook your asparagus until it's floppy. You want it tender, but still firm.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.