As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:HW] Ye Olde Threade

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Just spent a good amount of time tidying up my macros, redoing the PvP swaps to use less bars and fixing up some errors in macros then 'defragging' the macro blocks (not a trivial task)...
    I'm... going to need more macro space soon if I expand my array of PvP jobs...
    tk5aXZQ.jpg

That huge ass block of macros from 1 to 27 are my class/job configuration and gear swap macros.
    74-79 are the macros that comprise of my fancy smancy hotbar menu which I use to swap between job macros and other utility stuff in a tiered menu sort of fashion.
    I could clean up my crafting macros since a lot of them are now obsolete/out of date but for every job that I use in PvP, it eats up another 2 macro slots.
    Block 40 to 48 are pretty much the only macros I use for actual combat abilities and those are generally abilities that require a target swap so the cost of not having the latency compensation is negated by not needing to target swap. There's some for PvP that compress a number of functionally identical abilities with the PvP abilities, but in PvP you typically don't need split second precision on buff/utility abilities...

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh man the servers must be melting. Tried to do an instancr run this morning and it was hell.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    How does Invigorate help a healer?

I just meant across all CrossClass skills.
    SwiftCast is a godsend for casters.
    Invigorate is a godsend for physical dps classes.
    Everything else is handy at best.

Provoke. Protect. Cleric Stance. Quelling Strikes.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you get protect and cleric stance when unlocking sch/ast

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2015
    Having trouble getting back into Sarg after a 90k

Edit: I get back in game after getting many errors only to get 90ked again.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Seems the login servers are having connectivity issues.

I can hit a JP Data center just fine. It's the NA one that's having issues it seems.

Yukira on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    kafziel wrote: »
    How does Invigorate help a healer?

I just meant across all CrossClass skills.
    SwiftCast is a godsend for casters.
    Invigorate is a godsend for physical dps classes.
    Everything else is handy at best.

Provoke. Protect. Cleric Stance. Quelling Strikes.

Oh yeah. Provoke.
    That's like the next tier above Swiftcast and Invigorate. It's so mandatory I forget it's a crossclass.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    long hair more like snore hair

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Played a couple hours with a friend who's trying out the demo.

"Wow, this is really fun. Wait, X was from another Final Fantasy game! Look at that!"

I think I successfully hooked another addict.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If you already have enough feathers, can you let Red Cat refer him? She has no local friends she can persuade to play.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    If you already have enough feathers, can you let Red Cat refer him? She has no local friends she can persuade to play.

I have no feathers. Never had anyone do the refer-a-friend thing with me. My friend may be the 1st.

EDIT: my previous "another addict" comment was meant generally. As in, we're all addicts. This may be the first time I ever get a refer-a-friend recognition ever. Never got any with WoW, or any other game.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Fair enough. Go forth, and do great things!

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Played a couple hours with a friend who's trying out the demo.

"Wow, this is really fun. Wait, X was from another Final Fantasy game! Look at that!"

I think I successfully hooked another addict.

They are so going to lose their shit when
    Matoya's Cave theme starts playing. Or Battle on the Big Bridge

• Options
    joomanjiijoomanjii San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Damn this game is gorgeous. I never get tired of the Hinterlands.
    b4L580w.jpg
    5yc1ACO.jpg
    JOoscBk.jpg

Final Fantasy XIV: Alethia Tamarie
  • Options
    Yeah, the Hinterlands is probably my favourite zone in terms of landscape.
    Look off the sides inside Idyllshire proper as well. The backdrop is also gorgeous.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Yea, I just wish it had its own crystal. I crash half the time I port to Idyllshire, so I've taken to flying in from Forelands whenever I need to go to Hinter.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Finally starting to make my return as an omni-crafter. All DoH at 60, now I'm planning out how to collect the materia I'll need to get some new accessories melded, then decide how I want to proceed.

There's two approaches I can make when it comes to the gear. First one is to take it slow and steady, and just get the red scrip token gear. The second is the very expensive route of getting the 2 star materials and crafting then melding the i170 gear. The i170 gear must be melded, otherwise the stats are vastly inferior to the i180 token gear.

Without access to Garde 5 materia, the i170 body is actually almost not worth the effort versus the i180 token gear. No increase in CP, and the craftsmanship/control stats cannot be capped so +8 control and +18 craftsmanship is only an improvement of 4 craftsmanship and 3 control compared to the token gear. Overall having a full HQ set of gear (minus the main hand) and melded will give an advantage of ~23 craftsmanship, ~31 control and 8 CP. Kind of similar to the difference between going from a level 60 i150 mainhand to the i180 scrip mainhand. The cost difference is astronomical and given how I don't actually actively work the MB but I prefer to plug in the gaps in the market such as the consumables market and generally just provide crafting services to FC and friends, any major investment (I'm talking in the tens of millions) that I make will unlikely to be recouped at this stage.

My other option would be to fully meld up a set of i150 gear and use that as a substitute and just work on red scrip gear for the classes I really like. Or just want the looks for. A well melded set of i150 gear will be 10 craftsmanship and 19 control behind a full set of i180 scrip gear. A thusly melded set of gear with i170 'perfect' accessories or darn well close to it will easily meet two star level 60 crafts with unmelded i150 main/offhands. Which of course makes sense if people have been crafting the stuff without buying any red scrip gear.

Takel on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Just hit Arcanist 54 yesterday. When is a good time to use Broil, as a Scholar, rather than Ruin?

• Options
    Any time you want to be doing DPS and not just damage.

Ruin has great MP efficiency (on par with DoTs), but that's pretty much it.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    ^^^

Broil replaces Ruin, Ruin II is still useful since you can cast it on the move when your dots don't need refreshing. I just use this macro to downlevel it back to Ruin when I'm in low level stuff:
    /macroicon "Broil"
    /ac "Broil" <t>
    /ac "Broil" <tt>
    /ac "Ruin" <t>
    /ac "Ruin" <tt>

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    alright. I'll do that.

I also got Ruin III, but the general consensus seems to be not to even try to use it until I pick up Dreadwyrm Trance.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Edit for proper english:

That'll depend. SMNs generally don't need to watch their MP but there are some encounters which can tax their pool. If you can afford to spend the extra MP for more damage without running empty before the fight finishes, then go ahead and use it outside of the trance. You get more potency per cast, but you pay for it with an obviously insanely high MP cost.

If you have an AST who wants a dump point for unwanted Ewer cards, it is an option for you to burn off the extra MP into more damage, which hence makes Ewer a (small) DPS increasing card. That's what I generally do if I know the SMN and I'm playing AST. On the same vein, if the group's BRD or MCH is restoring MP to the healers, that the opportunity to burn off excess MP.

That'll depend. SMNs do kind of need to watch their MP, but generally they don't which means if you know the fight will end before you start running on fumes, Ruin III outside of Deadwyrm. It's more potency for the cast time at the cost of a lot more MP so that's the trade off.

If theres and AST trying to find a dump for Ewer cards or if the group's BRD/MCH is restoring MP for the healers, burn off some MP with Ruin III

Takel on
  • Options
    Alright. I'll give that some thought. I'll also have to give thought to where I'm gonna put this on my hotbar, but that's beside the point.

• Options
    All DoL at 60 with Fishing being brought up to par... and boy was that a frantic finish. I had a Pipira Pira window coming up in 40 mins, and I needed to gain almost an entire level, make a new fishing rod and grab some gathering food (Dhalmel Gratin) so I would be less likely to miss a catch.

End result: 30 pipira piras, and one lost bladed steel jig because the line snapped. Ah well.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    What is a pipira pira?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    It's a weather restricted fish that's used in crafting a crit/accuracy food. In other words, it's the standard go-to food for a lot of DPS at the moment who are attempting high end content. The availability window is something like 20 minutes every few hours.

Takel on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Couple updates on the FFXIV site:

Main Scenario Preview (Careful clicking this link as there is a spoiler or two in there if you haven't finished the Heavensward Main story yet)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/67bb968813a6b96cb65327f01b1641b04279d564

Void Ark (25-man) preview (Obviously don't click this link if you don't want to be spoiled about stuff regarding the upcoming 25-man raid)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/2dd46506dbce0211950ed0a6c4463d52b8d5b774

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Couple updates on the FFXIV site:

Main Scenario Preview (Careful clicking this link as there is a spoiler or two in there if you haven't finished the Heavensward Main story yet)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/67bb968813a6b96cb65327f01b1641b04279d564

Void Ark (25-man) preview (Obviously don't click this link if you don't want to be spoiled about stuff regarding the upcoming 25-man raid)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/2dd46506dbce0211950ed0a6c4463d52b8d5b774

I dunno about you, but I'm pretty excited you guys.

488W936.png
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Here's a higher res pic of the Void Ark gear.

I love the caster and tank sets.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Left to right
    Tank, Caster, Healer, ???, Ranged DPS, DRG, MNK/NIN.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

Yeah the caster sets are pretty sweet looking and the tank gear has potential. The rest of it is honestly pretty weak for the most part; what I assume is the bard outfit looks like it went through a spiky cheese grater.

The one melee dps hat the Miqo'te is wearing looks nice too.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Riokenn wrote: »

Left to right
    Tank, Caster, Healer, ???, Ranged DPS, DRG, MNK/NIN.

I was thinking Monk, Caster, Healer, Ninja, Ranged DPS, Tank, Dragoon personally

Although Tank and Dragoon at the end might be swapped, hard to tell if they wanted to give the skirt to Dragoons or Tanks this time around.

Monk and Ninja often have the same model but palette swapped which is why I'm pretty sure 1 and 4 are Monk and Ninja respectively.

Caster and Healer is the same thing, same model but palette swapped (white is healer obviously)

Ranged DPS tends to be unique so i'm pretty sure our Male Au Ra friend there has the BRD/MCH gear, and the plated gear would have to be tank/dragoon but as I mentioned above whether they went with the skirt on the dragoon or tank remains to be seen, I think it could go either way.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RieRie Registered User regular
    The healer gear is adorable!
    Wait, it is on a lalafell, of coz it is adorable!

FF14 - Rie Himawari (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Yeah, I hope the tank gear is the pants version. I might rock that for a while, then.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Pretty sure the one all the way to the right is a tank.
    I don't remember there being any previous DRG gear with long skirts.
    Besides, those legs are legs of a DRG!

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Pretty sure the one all the way to the right is a tank.
    I don't remember there being any previous DRG gear with long skirts.
    Besides, those legs are legs of a DRG!

One of the later Heavensward dungeon sets has a skirt for Dragoon iirc, it was the one that was previewed in the benchmark. I would tend to agree though that the skirt one is probably the tank.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    This is the first time I will do a 24 alliance raid. Any suggestions? Are queues bad as a tank?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    This is the first time I will do a 24 alliance raid. Any suggestions? Are queues bad as a tank?

Pick a random player from another group and mercilessly badmouth their performance for the entirety of the run.

• Options
    edited October 2015

At first queues will be pretty quick for tanks and healers, less so for DPS.

The Raid itself should not be very difficult mechanically, they are designed around pretty basic concepts typically and with the idea that 24 random people will be in them at varying degrees of skill.

Be sure to run the raid on the job you want to gear, as you'll only get one piece of gear a week and you really don't want to lose the chance to roll on a tank piece you need because you decided to queue as DPS this time. Also be sure to only roll on loot you actually want, once you get a piece for the week that's it, you are locked out of more loot until the following week.

Unless you are extremely lucky be prepared to run the raid a LOT to get the specific gear you want, also be prepared to hear people complain incessantly about not winning/seeing the gear THEY want.

Try and run the raid earlier in the week when most of the community is doing it, this way you'll get more chances, generally have better groups, and have an overall better experience compared to the people who wait to the last minute and try to get their gear right before the weekly reset, and then complain about the quality of players.

At first the raids will be a bit tricky as the community figures out the mechanics, individuals will figure them out quickly, and if those people tend to be in your run it may go smoother (provided the general alliance listens), if not be prepared for runs to be a bit rough for the first couple weeks as people get used to it and general agreed upon strategies are hashed out and circulated.

Feel free to ignore the following people as you will run into them on occasion:
    People who yell at others for not skipping cutscenes during the first few weeks,
    People who yell at others for not knowing the fight 3 days after it released or who say they "should have watched a video"
    People who insist the fights are super easy and OMG why does everyone else suck.
    People who put no effort whatsoever into the fights and are basically just dead weight.

Also get used to seeing people drop out of Raid after losing on a roll they wanted or when their loot doesn't drop off the boss, but don't worry they'll be replaced almost instantly by people queueing in progress. (Pro-tip if the loot you want drops off a later boss it may be better to queue in progress!)

A lot of that sounds bad but honestly the vast majority of the time it will be fine, just prepping you for some of this stuff because you WILL run into it on occasion. Or even worse, if you do any of the above stuff you'll run into it every time! :D

Edit: Also the group makeup will be 5 DPS, 2 Healers, and 1 tank for each group. An Alliance consists of 3 of these groups, so often the mechanics of the fight will account for the fact that you'll have 3 tanks and there will be some sort of mechanics that requires all three tanks to do something (1 Main tank, 2 to pick up adds, or 3 bosses that need to each be tanked away from eachother, etc)

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »

Pick a random player from another group and mercilessly badmouth their performance for the entirety of the run.

Also, watch out for floor rugs - I mean dragoons.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.