As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dumb Things You've Done Recently

18910111214»

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    White coat syndrome. You get high blood pressure when seeing a doctor. I get that too and I work in the ER. When I take my bp myself it's normal. When I get it taken by someone else its elevated.

Anyway if its high in their office just have them take it again like 15 minutes later. One pressure isn't worth a whole lot.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Scorched Earth! That was the best game. My favorite was turning up all the explosions to the max, so you get one good Death's Head off and the whole map is toast (including you). It was really interesting playing that game on not so great computers in the days when it came out because it would get pretty slow due to all the projectiles and explosions

Yeah, if you had it set where the explosions had the random glowing gradient effect instead of the simple animations it could really chug.
    I remember once I used that weapon that just does an explosion centered on your tank using batteries, and I gave it the max power I could.

It took like 10-15 minutes draw the explosion.
    As it got bigger you could see it drawing the next layer of the circle pixel by pixel. And the glowy effect was animating at about 1 frame every few seconds.

Crapola.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    White coat syndrome. You get high blood pressure when seeing a doctor. I get that too and I work in the ER. When I take my bp myself it's normal. When I get it taken by someone else its elevated.

Anyway if its high in their office just have them take it again like 15 minutes later. One pressure isn't worth a whole lot.

The last time I self-tested for blood pressure I'd just snapped a shoelace and almost fallen on my arse twice going down a steep hill in leather soles.

All things considered, I'm glad my BP was just into the high range.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Do humvees not have keys?

There are a lot of military vehicles that don't require keys, like humvees and tanks!

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    You're thinking headlight fluid!

He's definitely not thinking blinker fluid, which is a totally legit thing to send a private to look for, just like chemlight batteries.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »

He's definitely not thinking blinker fluid, which is a totally legit thing to send a private to look for, just like chemlight batteries.

My dad said they would most often send new sailors to grease the relative bearing or find the boatswain's punch.

I've never been in the military but when I worked at a movie theater we used to give new people a watering can to water the plants inside. All of which were fake plastic.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    At my restaurant we had a nozzle that was just a direct connection to a super hot water line, for making tea and such. We'd tell new people that they had to empty out the water reservoir at the end of the night, and see how many tubs of hot water they would fill before giving up.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    At my restaurant we had a nozzle that was just a direct connection to a super hot water line, for making tea and such. We'd tell new people that they had to empty out the water reservoir at the end of the night, and see how many tubs of hot water they would fill before giving up.

That is most wasteful thing.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Another good one is sending them to ask a staff sergeant for a PRC-E-6. (Pronounced "prick E6." E6 is the pay grade for a staff sergeant.) You could adjust the number upwards if you wanted them to ask, say, the platoon sergeant.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    As a fresh M113 driver in the army I was listing off all the maintenance checks I'd just done on my M113 to my lieutenant who goes "did you check the spark plugs?" and without thinking or missing a beat I went

"Of course. And there was a little bit of water in the diesel filter, but not so much that it should be a problem. Wait."

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Some dumb ass broke into my house and did my laundry. Washed my phone that they left in my pants.

...yeah, that's what happened.

Good news, this smart guy has the insurance on the phone.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Did not realize that the stupid cubicle mate is whatever the corporate equivalent of a political officer is and I've gotten reported. Losing job in 3...2...1...

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Did not realize that the stupid cubicle mate is whatever the corporate equivalent of a political officer is and I've gotten reported. Losing job in 3...2...1...

Did you speak bad against the glorious company or what?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Forgot that my definition of "shorter" when standing at 6'5" is vastly different from most everyone's else's definitions when the person I'm describing is apparently 6'.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Pretty much. Actually didn't get fired...yet... but I think it's a good time to make more dumb mistakes as I hit the job search.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    MadEddy wrote: »

My dad said they would most often send new sailors to grease the relative bearing or find the boatswain's punch.

I've never been in the military but when I worked at a movie theater we used to give new people a watering can to water the plants inside. All of which were fake plastic.

My dad used to own a theatrical lighting company. According to his stories, way back in the day the lighting gels were actually made of gelatin. When they got a new guy, they would sometimes hand him a small sheet a gel and say it's dirty, go wash it. So they would and it would dissolve in the sink.

Or they'd sometimes say they were hungry and grab a scrap piece and eat it.

steam_sig.png