As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel] Civil War guidance requested

LurkbotLurkbot Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Graphic Violence
After almost a decade off, I have leapt with reckless abandon back into comics. My helpful local comic book store employee got me started off with House of M, and then I went ahead into Civil War.

I've seen the checklist that Marvel has, and have read most of what I thought I would like off of that. It's been pretty easy picking up the TPB's, but no I am a bit lost as to where to go next. So far I've read Civil War, Civil War: Spider Man, and Civil War: Fantastic Four.

I've really gotten into Iron Man and Captain America (both of which I did not like so much before this). I'm going to pick up Civil War: Frontline next, but after that, what?

I know that World War Hulk is just about to wrap up (borrowed a friends copy of Planet Hulk - pretty cool), but what about inbetween Civil War and now? When does 'Cap bite the big one?

HALP! :|

Lurkbot on

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just buy every last Civil War trade and it will give you a pretty damn good overview of the Marvel universe right now. From there pick up whichever books you like. Personally I'm in love with everything Daredevil since Kevin Smith relaunched it (except DD: Ninja).

oh, also do not purchase Civil War: Heroes for Hire, it is painfully bad.
    The X-Men Civil War stuff is avoidable as well. They weren't bad but nothing really happened.
    Frontlines kind of sucked...I think I liked volume 1 but volume 2 was not so hot.

Accualt on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was gonna recommend Civil War Chronicles, but since you're already making your way through the CW trades, that's not that useful. I'd recommend Black Panther, which had a pretty good take on the international political ramifications of the war, and New Avengers, which covers most of what the Secret Avengers are up to. Other tie ins to watch are Punisher War Journal, Thunderbolts, and Heroes for Hire, but they're not strictly necessary. The X Book tie-ins, X-Factor and CW:X-Men, are not really necessary to read, though the X-Factor crossover does give good insight into what begins to unfold for mutants in general.

As for what to read from there, it depends a lot on what bits of CW you liked. The Avengers were at the heart of that conflict and therefore you probably are more interested in them, so I'd check out New Avengers and Mighty Avengers, as well as Cap and Iron Man. The Heroes for Hire arc between CW and WWH was a good segue between the two and connected them fairly well. Punisher War Journal had an arc that sorta had to do with the death of Cap. There's also New Warriors, which spun out of the war.

Honestly, there's a lot and it's really dependent on which part of the Marvel Universe caught your eye during the crossover.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Initiative and Thunderbolts both concentrate on the Act in action, if you're interested in that.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    CW: X-Men was really the conclusion to The 198, which in itself wasn't very good. Since you've already read Civil War, I'd recommend Road to Civil War as well. If nothing else it gives a good prelude to the Spiderman and FF story lines, as well as the roots of WWH.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    silkypeasilkypea Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Really I think you could avoid most of the civil war tie-ins. To follow up on Civil War you should start picking up New Avengers right now. It's good. Not always the best but it has been just plain good for so long. Also maybe pick up Mighty Avengers (which is more just classic superhero fun stuff).

silkypea on
    from the bottom of the bottle to the top of the throne
    doom the fuck tree
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Captain America gives up and is defeated by 9/11 heroes.

Algertman on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't waste your time with any more CW trades, you've read the good one (Spider-Man).

Matter of fact, ignore most of the regular Marvel Universe right now and embrace the Ultimate Universe.

If you don't feel like it however, pick up Planet Hulk, Rise of Fall of the Empire (Uncanny X-Men), Runaways, Nextwave, um...my mind is hurting, I can't think of anything.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    LurkbotLurkbot Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    OK, so it sounds like I'll be checking out the Avenger titles.

As for the Ultimates, I loves em! I had already picke up Ultimates 1&2, now I'll be getting the TPB's for the "teams".

Lurkbot on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Other tie ins to watch are Punisher War Journal, Thunderbolts, and Heroes for Hire, but they're not strictly necessary.

These tie in but are all varying degrees of terrible.
    The Punisher wasn't bad if you pretend the Punisher in it is not Frank Castle.
    Thunderbolts might have been better if I'd known more about the characters or the dialog wasn't so needlessly long. And I LIKE dialog in my comics.
    Heroes for Hire is just terrible in every way possible. It was painfully bad. It is one of maybe two comics in history I've almost stopped reading. I probably would have stopped, too, if it wasn't part of CW. It did have a few good moments but they all revolved around the bug guy.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    Other tie ins to watch are Punisher War Journal, Thunderbolts, and Heroes for Hire, but they're not strictly necessary.

Thunderbolts might have been better if I'd known more about the characters or the dialog wasn't so needlessly long. And I LIKE dialog in my comics.
    Heroes for Hire is just terrible in every way possible. It was painfully bad. It is one of maybe two comics in history I've almost stopped reading. I probably would have stopped, too, if it wasn't part of CW. It did have a few good moments but they all revolved around the bug guy.

I disagree with you with respect to Heroes for Hire. I thought it was a strong intro for the series and it actually showed a pro-reg team that was as not full of assholes, not turning on their anti-reg friends, and actually going after bad guys instead of unregistered heroes. It was also a good continuation from the Daughters of the Dragon miniseries.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd recommend Black Panther

No way!

I'm shocked, SHOCKED that wwtMask is recommending Black Panther in this forum.

Anyway, Cap is assassinated in Captain America #25, which will be in the next Cap TPB (shockingly enough titled The Death of Captain America) to be released next month, as well as the Captain America by Ed Brubaker Omnibus, which collects #1-25, and is chock full of patriotic goodness.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thunderbolts during Civil War I can't speak on, but once you know how it all unfolds, #110 and onward provide some excellent commentary on the aftermath. It's pretty much a look at the worst case scenario come to life.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'd recommend Black Panther

No way!

I'm shocked, SHOCKED that wwtMask is recommending Black Panther in this forum.

:roll:

Those issues of BP were pretty damn good. Only downside was the penciling musical chairs they were doing. They must've had three different guys for that arc.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And Monica Rambeau asking Black Panther for advice on how to use her own damn powers.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Can we just skip the Black Panther fight this time?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If your really into Iron Man pick up Extremis, Execute Program, Civil War:Iron Man and Iron Man: Director of S.H.E.I.L.D.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Htown wrote: »

Hey, I won't if they won't. Note that I didn't start anything.
    And for the record, I did agree with Hooraydiation's criticism of that (thankfully minor) aspect of the story.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    DO NOT get "Civil War: The Return" as it is a complete waste of paper.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    DO NOT get "Civil War: The Return" as it is a complete waste of paper.

Do get Civil War: Iron Man. It contains both the Confession and the story where Iron Man and Captain America meet in the rubble of the mansion and debate over the echo of their first face to face meeting with each other, I believe, and it goes a long way to legitimizing to Pro-Reg side (something that needed to be done, in my opinion, for the sake of the story).

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What are the 'Chronicles' books composed of, anyway? The relevant segments from various comics?

I've read up to four, and I wouldn't mind knowing how long it's going on for(I imagine a long time).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Htown wrote: »

Excuse the fuck out of me.

I was just waiting for my winnings.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I disagree with you with respect to Heroes for Hire. I thought it was a strong intro for the series and it actually showed a pro-reg team that was as not full of assholes, not turning on their anti-reg friends, and actually going after bad guys instead of unregistered heroes. It was also a good continuation from the Daughters of the Dragon miniseries.
    You only say that because it has a black person in it

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

You only say that because it has a black person in it

Oh shit, I've been found out!
    Not really, H4H is a good book. Misty Knight is just an added bonus. :^:

wwtMask on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

You only say that because it has Humbug in it

Wildcat on