As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX Game night 2016 @ Geekdom (1/28/2016 @ 7PM)

• jj4thjj4th Registered User regular
    s3prototype, feel free to put my name up in correspondence to Geekdom. I am a Geekdom member and can sponsor the event. We were going to do it last year there before the Hilton opened up (if you recall). But it is a fair clip from the convention center. You will probably not want to walk that distance at night in January. And yeah we have monthly Geekdom Game Nights.

As far as the games go, every single one of my games had my name and address in it. I told people that they were welcome to borrow any game, but asked them not to leave the area with them, and then a couple times through the night I did a quick circle around to make sure they were all there and no one was like, eating with cards in their hand, etc... We have a list of rules/suggestions and it talks about all that. If I have an especially rare or hard to find game (like, say, the $200 Pandante deluxe version with matching poker chips), I'm going to leave that at home :biggrin:, that said, the gamers at PAX know and respect games, in general, and I felt like if someone was mistreating one of my games, the other people there would tell them to stop, or at least let me know.

WRT food, Geekdom has a kitchen area for members but they do not, themselves, provide any sort of food outside of a little grocery/vending machines... and I think the grocery area is restricted to members only. For Geekdom game night we usually pot-luck a fair amount of alcohol... but it's definitely potluck/BYOB.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    at night in january being like 60F, which will be FAR warmer than my home in january ;)

• jj4thjj4th Registered User regular
    @zerzhul It can get colder at night. Average high is about 70, average low is about 40 for January.

• s3prototypes3prototype Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Im going to keep pressure on the hotels. But if Geekdom 100%, successfully we have achieved a Pre-PAX night. Im sure there will be stragglers in regardless if we coordinate at their hotels or not.

@jj4th, thanks again for your help and support last year :)

jj4th wrote: »
    zerzhul It can get colder at night. Average high is about 70, average low is about 40 for January.
    That's still good warm walking weather ;)

• CardeyCardey Registered User new member
    Was recovering from a horrendous bug last year so wasn't able to do much. Looking forward to it this year and will toss in a few of my own to join in the fun.

Born and bred Houstonian, however walking in shorts and sandals in the 40s is a good evening on my end!

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    jj4th wrote: »
    zerzhul It can get colder at night. Average high is about 70, average low is about 40 for January.
    That's still good warm walking weather ;)

Couldn't agree more.

pca5e78a6mp9.jpg

khd33hubozxv.png
  • japesterjapester Registered User regular
    Met with the Geekdom folks last night to talk about the event and take a tour of the facility. Very cool spot. Everyone was really nice. They were holding their own board game night with about 30-40 people in attendance, so our pre-PAX event wouldn't be out of their comfort zone. We'll continue talking to them about capacity, location, and other details. Nothing is locked in yet.

It looks far on a map, but in reality it's a little over a half mile to the door of the convention center. And most hotels are between the two, so the walk might be even shorter. For those unfamiliar with San Antonio, we have a large population but a tiny downtown. There is very little risk of getting lost.

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    japester wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    I think the community bringing boardgames works for 2 main reasons. Many people are local (this is true of every PAX), and anybody driving can bring a literal pile of games. The other is, the minimum games need 2 people and most take 4 or more, so you need a lot fewer games than people.

Just to clarify. People bringing games with them, sitting down, and getting others to join them wasn't what surprised me. It was the number of games people brought and left unattended on a table in the back room, available to anyone off the street who could walk in and do whatever they wanted with them. I'm happy to bring a pile of games, but I think they'd be played at my table (or a table next to me), so I could keep half an eye on them. LOL
    As someone who has provided lots of boardgames for this type of event several times, I have never had a problem with the games getting returned to me in good condition. At the larger pre-PAX game nights, we usually keep our stack with us, and allow people to check them out directly with us. We hold down a table and play there all night, so it's easy to find us to return items. The PAX community of board gamers at large seems to be pretty conscientious, but you always take a chance with unknown people. I'm of the "games are meant to be played" philosophy, and don't mind taking that small but real risk, but I certainly understand those who are more protective of their collections. . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• CardeyCardey Registered User new member
    @s3prototype West side of the city between the the inner loop and the belt. Looking forward to attending again, planning on it being a perma mini-vacation for me and the missus :D

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Edit: Retracted, looking for another venue.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • pyrofatherpyrofather Registered User regular
    Ok, so did you lose the option with Geekdom???

pyrofather wrote: »
    Ok, so did you lose the option with Geekdom???

No we didn't, we are still far out that no one is dead set on saying yes or no. We are still working out the details.

Edit: Retracted, looking for another venue.

:? I hope that wasn't because of my PM. Like I said, we might have the perfect spot for you.

Yeah, pyrofather, we have some options, like s3 said. But the ideal spot hasn't appeared yet. Geekdom is still the frontrunner, IMHO. But we're figuring out their capacity. A free event like this gets tough when you are looking to accommodate 200 or so people.

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    If geekdom allows outside food and doesn't mind you doing it, you could probably setup a mass order of food (or do pot luck) and have them available, with donations going to Childs Play. Most of the other PAXes have Cookie Brigade members on site as well. Alcohol gets a lot more difficult as if you are supplying it you can be found responsible if someone drinks and drives and what not. That's why bars have strict training programs and insurance.

GhostDan on
  • MartossMartoss Registered User regular
    Yeah, a part of me will be missing the hotel bar we played at last year. It had a nice informal vibe kinda going on. I'd volunteer to coordinate there myself but I can't even be sure I'll be free that night or not!

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So finally got around to seeing what Geekdom is. That is super cool. And have we looked into just getting a bartender? They look like they have hosted events before. I do events in my area, and a lot of bartenders will work for a minimum. So you don't pay out of pocket assuming they make the prearranged number from the cash bar. I guess then we would be looking at clean up costs and liabilities.. so. Ya, this stuff isnt easy for free.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• futilesfutiles Registered User regular
    I am staying at the Springhill Suites by Marriott, about 3 blocks from the convention entrance. They have a business area, and some meeting rooms usually. Has anyone contacted them, yet? I am reserved Thurs-Mon, there.

futiles wrote: »
    I am staying at the Springhill Suites by Marriott, about 3 blocks from the convention entrance. They have a business area, and some meeting rooms usually. Has anyone contacted them, yet? I am reserved Thurs-Mon, there.

I've been in contact with 1 Marriott closest to the convention center. he is in contact with the surrounding Marriots as well.

GhostDan wrote: »
    If geekdom allows outside food and doesn't mind you doing it, you could probably setup a mass order of food (or do pot luck) and have them available, with donations going to Childs Play. Most of the other PAXes have Cookie Brigade members on site as well. Alcohol gets a lot more difficult as if you are supplying it you can be found responsible if someone drinks and drives and what not. That's why bars have strict training programs and insurance.

Food is definitely something we are looking into. My ideal would be a food truck or two, but we haven't found out if it's feasible or not yet. Besides cost/cleanup/effort, the main problem with setting up food inside would be space. The area I am looking at is already smaller than I would like, and reserving tables for a buffet or bar would mean even less room for playing games. The walls are also made of glass, which is cool, but it means anyone on the street could see the "free food" and wander in, take some, and leave. Lots of issues to consider...

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Sounds interesting. I'll be watching this thread. I have never done any of the Pre-Pax Board Game Nights

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
    Just a quick thread update to let people know s3prototype and I are still hard at work on finding the best possible location for the event. We haven't forgotten about it. :D

We are trying to get some much-needed info from a couple of spots before we can narrow it down. But we definitely have some options already on the table.

I think I'll commit right now to bring Blood Rage to the event. Got my Kickstarter edition, and I'm hoping for a marathon session with my group this weekend to break it in!

• stoneart69stoneart69 Registered User regular
    The San Antonio Boardgamers would love to be of any assistance possible. We have Regular Monday and Thursday night Meetups at the local Dragon's Lair. We can be found here at meetup.com http://www.meetup.com/SABoardGamers/

-Michael Stone

• AerikanAerikan Game Design Manager Wellington NZRegistered User regular
    Hey all, this is Rick, longtime host of Geekdom Game Night. We are ON for this at Geekdom in. Info here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/154111618279404/

You're all welcome! Not only is this a great longstanding meeting of the local gaming community, you can learn about Geekdom, meet local startups, game devs, and exhibitors, and if I play my cards right, get free beer (no promises yet)

If the original organizers want to contact me and help organize, please let me know.

-Rick Stemm
    Heroic Games

Well, that's a surprise, Rick. I was talking to Christian for a couple of months trying to get details nailed down, then he disappeared. That was the last we heard from Geekdom. We assumed we'd try again next year with whomever took over his post (or with Christian, if he came back).

Happy to collaborate with you guys. Probably easier this way since I've been hosting the Geekdomn game night for a long time so was able to get the event center without a problem. But I definitely want you guys to both spread the word and help me organize. s3 hit me up on Facebook and you should too so we can plan.

Christian traveled for a bit so maybe the emails got lost in the shuffle. I remember him saying he was surprised he hadn't heard from you guys either. But no harm done - we're set and ya'll can jump in and help me make it big!

Nothing got lost in the shuffle, Rick. Everyone I spoke with and/or met at Geekdom was unfailingly polite and friendly, but after an initial flurry of enthusiastic, yet vague, promises, every attempt I made to actually start planning the event was met with excuses and delays. After the longest delay, we called Geekdom and were informed that our contact was no longer there.

Now, if you had truly wanted to collaborate, you could have reached out to us. Clearly you know how to reach us--you found our thread easily enough. But no PM's or emails were sent, even as a courtesy, before the thread-jack.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume none of this was intentional, Rick. But I'm sure you can see where having our own event stalled and then replaced and then being invited to "help" with the new event (only after it was announced and we contacted you) might appear less than professional.

I hope everyone has fun. And I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help to s3prototype this year. I'll gladly help him in the future if he wants it. But I'll sit this one out, Rick. Good luck.

edited December 2015
    Let's be clear up front - I don't work for Geekdom and I had no interactions with the communications of this. I'll let you know the history in case it helps. I think you are confusing me with Geekdom and Geekdom staff - I don't work there. I am just a very active member who has been hosting their game night for a while.

I've been hosting a Geekdom game night for a year and a half. I and the other organizers decided to time the January one with PAX South more officially, since this last PAX we had some PAX folk show up. One of the organizers mentioned that there was already a group trying to work with Geekdom to do so.

So, I spoke with Geekdom staff. They said someone had reached out to them but then they lost contact. I was told this group just wanted to use the space so I said, cool, send me their info. Meantime I'll schedule our normal event and invite them to join us so we can collaborate.

I never got the info, but I posted here, reached out, opened the event.

I don't speak for Geekdom, I just office out of there on occasion. I was not part of any of the communication. I agree Geekdom could have done a better job of hooking us up earlier (we've been hosting this event forever, not sure why no one gave you my name or no one told me you were trying to do this) so we could have collaborated from the start. Obviously that would have been the best. but that didn't happen so let's move forward!

I don't want to get in the middle of whatever happened but it had nothing to do with me. But hey, we have the space, we have an existing event, I have a huge network of guaranteed people and can probably get us free beer, we have PAX people already coming, why not just work with what we got? By all means have a separate talk with Geekdom staff and give your feedback, but let's work together here.

Aerikan on
    Jape if you want to take it offline please talk to me. I came in really late and didn't get the full story. I was just moving forward with an event we already had and didn't realize what had been going, so let me know. We're happy to hand off our event to you all.

Yeah I think there's a disconnect there where @japester thought you worked for Geekdom.

edited December 2015
    I got a bit more of the full story from s3. We're talking offline.

The short version is we are happy to hand this event over to y'all and just work as the local connection. (by "we" I mean me and other gamers and game devs here who host the usual gatherings and can be a liason for the space).

Aerikan on
  • MartossMartoss Registered User regular
    I'm glad we have somewhere to go at least. Last year's pre-pax board game night was a blast, but the space was pretty cramped. Sounds like Geekdom has ample room?

I just hope everyone (myself especially) will be able to find the venue. The great thing about last year's being at the hotel bar was that we had plenty of people wandering by who could just jump right in.

Martoss, thanks man! I tried telling the Hilton about how much space we needed.

They had no idea.

It's all good. No, I didn't think Rick worked for Geekdom, but hearing second-hand info from actual staff via him (ie, "Christian said...") was enough to make this look bad. But I do have a clearer picture now, and I think that this was a general fumble and not some seedy plot. Heh. I did briefly attend a Geekdom game night a while back (where I met Omar), but I assume you weren't there that night because we were never introduced.

Too many cooks can spoil the broth. If Rick and s3 hash out the details, that will probably be for the best. I was repping s3 locally for site visits and such, but Rick can do that more easily from inside Geekdom.

@Martoss,
    For the record, Geekdom is not hard to find, nor is it far. Maybe a 10 minute walk from the convention center. It looks really far on a map, but that is deceiving. However, space is definitely an issue. I don't know the occupancy limit of the event centre (that was one of those basic questions I never got an answer to), but it looked smaller than the space we had last year. Figuring out a table layout to maximize the space should be a priority. I'd hate to see people walk out there and get turned away.

• mgnademgnade DelawareRegistered User regular
    Hey I'm a Board Game Designer and would be happy to attend the pre-PAX event at Geekdom and bring my game Brass Empire. It was kickstarted a few months ago and was featured in the indie megabooth at PAX Prime. I have a few prototypes so it could be an option for people to play. Let me know if that's of interest to people.

Make it happen!

• Tachyon AeonTachyon Aeon Registered User regular
    Last year didn't get a chance to make it but hopefully this year I'll be there without a hitch

• podunk the mightypodunk the mighty Game Designer TexasRegistered User regular
    Glad this all got sorted, I'm looking forward to bringing some games and having fun! I never get enough chances to play Imperial Settlers at the moment. I'm definitely planning on doing some more 'extracurricular' activities at PAX this year.
    mgnade wrote: »
    Hey I'm a Board Game Designer and would be happy to attend the pre-PAX event at Geekdom and bring my game Brass Empire. It was kickstarted a few months ago and was featured in the indie megabooth at PAX Prime. I have a few prototypes so it could be an option for people to play. Let me know if that's of interest to people.
    Hey, I've got my own game that just made it through Kickstarter as well. If we run into each other it'd be awesome to talk about Kickstartering and game production and all that good stuff, maybe even a game trade.

On Their Merry Way Is On Kickstarter Today!
    I design games under the name New Experience Workshop.
    Website. Facebook. Twitter.
  • StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    Around what time should we be looking to show up to geekdom? I don't want to arrive after occupancy is hit