As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PataNoir - Surreal noir interactive fiction [iOS / Android / Steam]

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited June 2016 in Indie Games
Music video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc1iKpSO-gY

Screenshots (Android and iOS)
PataNoir1.png
PataNoir3.png
PataNoir7.png
PataNoir8.png

Game description
"The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle."
PataNoir is a homage to the classic stories of hard-boiled private investigators with a knack for describing everything with complex similes and metaphors. In PataNoir, you solve problems by manipulating the hard-boiled metaphors used by the main character to make sense of the world in which he lives.

Features
  • An interactive noir mystery to experience and solve
  • Innovative interactive fiction gameplay in which the metaphors you live by become tools to solve the mystery
  • Atmospheric illustrations by Lauri Ahonen and Tom Siddell
  • Original theme song by postmodern rock musician William Steffey

Reviews
"Two old, fantastic forms of narrative combine to form something truly unique in PataNoir." - Gamezebo
"I don’t recall any other game that does anything quite like this." - Emily Short
"Like words? Play with simile and metaphor in this unusual mystery app." - Boing Boing
"...a nigh on unmissable adventure that's simultaneously a perfect entry to the world of text-based gaming and refreshingly different to satisfy the most hardened of genre veterans." - IndieGames.com

iTunes Promo codes
YELFYJTKHR3H
MHNPWNMK3K6Y
F4NYEWJLHXN7
MJ6JE49X6THY
MLAJPMTFPN9N
7WKE9EJ6TFTF
LLLKNLWTRWWF
NTER6AH97HTP
X4J3T93HF7KP
6WP4964FA6TA

Tube on

• Options
    NimrodNimrod Registered User regular
    Hello, everyone!

I'm the developer of the game, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have :).

www.sichris.com
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This looks really cool.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I redeemed one, and I'm going to play the balls out of this and review. Hope to leave a good one! Thanks, tuber.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I bought this, never played a text based game before.

Syntax can be frustrating.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I redeemed one, and I'm going to play the balls out of this and review. Hope to leave a good one! Thanks, tuber.

I'll look forward to reading it, then :). Could you post which code you used? I'll try to maintain a list of active ones in the second post.

www.sichris.com
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I bought this, never played a text based game before.

Syntax can be frustrating.

Thank you for your support :). If you have any specific problems with the syntax, could you PM me, and I'll try to make it more user-friendly in future versions?

I've already simplified the parser to the point where you can get through most of the game with single-word commands, but I realize that there are still some places left where it can be a bit finicky.

www.sichris.com
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Well most of it is I'm new to these sort of games.

So when I want to talk to Jameson I type "talk Jameson" instead of "talk to Jameson" at first.

I'd say it's probably fine.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Well most of it is I'm new to these sort of games.

So when I want to talk to Jameson I type "talk Jameson" instead of "talk to Jameson" at first.

I'd say it's probably fine.

Ah, okay. You know you can talk to Jameson by just typing "Jameson", right? The game will automatically select the most common action when you type the name of an object.

www.sichris.com
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I'm probably too busy to actually play it this week, but the concept looked so interesting I went ahead and bought it. Something to look forward to.

Also I'm actually mr. Copenhagen, so. . .

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »

Haha, I just filled out my title and location, and it puts them below my AV. Is there any way to make it not do that?

www.sichris.com
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Nimrod wrote: »

Haha, I just filled out my title and location, and it puts them below my AV. Is there any way to make it not do that?

I think if you fill out title and location they will show up. The line break is probably what should have told me to read it as two separate things?

Anyways, all hail Glorious People's Republic of Copenhagen and tillykke med spillet.

WIKVqZP.gif

PS: have you seen this and did it inspire the game:
    x6UNYBO.jpg

jakobagger on
  • Options
    Anyways, all hail Glorious People's Republic of Copenhagen and tillykke med spillet.

WIKVqZP.gif

PS: have you seen this and did it inspire the game:
    x6UNYBO.jpg

Mange tak :). I have seen that comic but only because a tester send it to me when the game was 95% done. Great minds think alike, I guess :)

www.sichris.com
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    I remember playing a browser based version of this game a long while back. A really brilliant idea. The thing I like the most about the PataNoir concept is that, literally, it is only possible in a text adventure.

Anyway, just wanted to say some kind words! Brilliant idea!

• Options
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624095069

Now on Steam Greenlight, featuring an amazing simulated book interface and a never before seen map of the city :).

I'm also looking for beta testers, so PM me if you would like an early copy of the game.

www.sichris.com
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/449150

PataNoir is now available on Steam, featuring an amazing simulated book interface, a never before seen map of the city, and 19 Steam achievements, the achievement of which will lead you through the hidden content in the game!

Game site: http://www.sichris.com/Games/PataNoir

Press release: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19377663/PataNoirSteamPressRelease.docx

I have three Steam keys set aside for the first three people who PM me here to request one.

Nimrod on
    www.sichris.com