As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Australia 2015 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    My badge arrived on Friday (I'm in Melbourne)

• JazzyJazzy Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Is there a PAX Aus 2015 BYOC discussion area anywhere? Last year I rocked up with all the wrong games loaded in Steam and wasn't ready to quickly join the various games quickly.

Jazzy on
    Moon Wizard.
  • gruber12gruber12 Registered User regular
    its abit closer any news regarding warhammer?

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Jazzy wrote: »
    Is there a PAX Aus 2015 BYOC discussion area anywhere? Last year I rocked up with all the wrong games loaded in Steam and wasn't ready to quickly join the various games quickly.

No official one, you can start a thread on these forums if you want and see who comes to check it out, I've asked some of the admins for BYOC if they have anything and will get back to you.
    gruber12 wrote: »
    its abit closer any news regarding warhammer?

Nothing has been posted by the looks. You might want to message @melissainau who manages Tabletop Freeplay and see if there is a miniatures area and what kinds of games are played.

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I remember there being a much smaller amount of streaming for those of us who can't attend compared to the other shows. Is there any information available on what will be streaming on twitch?

• PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I remember there being a much smaller amount of streaming for those of us who can't attend compared to the other shows. Is there any information available on what will be streaming on twitch?

It has been confirmed that Twitch are having an official presence this year, which MAY increase the quantity of streaming. No official word on whether this is the case though.

• noobcakesnoobcakes Registered User new member
    Hello all,
    Very excited about PAX in Melbourne! I am interested in the LAN. Do I need to bring my own computer or are computers available in PC area/freeplay? I see a lot a questions being answered regarding BYOC but I would just like more info on the freeplay PC area - how does it work? Seen the photos but just need confirmation :) Apologies if this has already been answered. Thanks!

noobcakes

If its the same as last year there will be a bunch of pcs you can use - 45 minute sessions to play etc. Times up join queue (if there is one) to go again.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    BYOC is different then the PC Freeplay, although they are usually next to each other. BYOC is a classic style LAN, bring your own computer, have your own space, play games locally, etc etc. PC Freeplay has computers for you to use already there, and you are allotted a time slot during which you can play some games, check email, whatever you want, but then you will need to give up the space for others. There are no organized LAN games in PC Freeplay really, although sometimes they do happen on an ad-hoc basis.

Hope that helps.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • noobcakesnoobcakes Registered User new member
    Thanks for clarifying vonhist and Beker. Thanks heaps!

• PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    CuZZa wrote: »
    Actually you asked in the right place. I'm the person who has been responsible for JS Joust at PAX Aus the last few years. The gear is mine, although this year we finally managed to get PAXAus to obtain their own set and it will be run under the same team who manage Console Freeplay, however this means that potentially we can see about organising something in the way of a tournament with the Console Tourney team. Not making any promises, but I'll definitely get the idea to the right people and see if we can do something. I'll let you know how that goes.

Regarding my suggestion for a JS Joust tournament. Did the suggestion get accepted by Console Freeplay or did it die in committee?

Is there a mechanism for donating a small prize towards the JS Joust tournaments run by Console Freeplay? If donating towards JS Joust tournament prizes is not an option, are there any PAX rules or restrictions on somebody giving out unofficial prizes for some JS Joust by invitation matches i.e. is it possible to run a tournament if Console Freeplay decline to run a tournament?

• gruber12gruber12 Registered User regular
    i was wondering is there a buy/sell going to be happening?

• ThefongThefong Registered User new member
    Is there anyone I can talk to about still not having received my tickets? Emailed the info@pax address, they told me that they'd been mailed, and if I hadn't received them to just contact my local post office, who have no record of any mail for me, I emailed the info@pax back to tell them this, and no one has responded in the last 5 days. Getting pretty concerned, as I've already booked accom/flights to Melbourne, and still have no passes.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    gruber12 wrote: »
    i was wondering is there a buy/sell going to be happening?

If you're talking about merchants in general, then there will be some in the Expo Hall along with the PA Merch booth and the acts at Band land selling their wares.

If you're asking about something more akin to an artist's alley or something attendee-to-attendee, then the answer is "No".

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thefong wrote: »
    Is there anyone I can talk to about still not having received my tickets? Emailed the info@pax address, they told me that they'd been mailed, and if I hadn't received them to just contact my local post office, who have no record of any mail for me, I emailed the info@pax back to tell them this, and no one has responded in the last 5 days. Getting pretty concerned, as I've already booked accom/flights to Melbourne, and still have no passes.
    I wouldn't worry too much until maybe a week before PAX. If you don't have them by then, email again and make sure you have all your registration information to bring to PAX just in case.

• DruexDruex Registered User regular
    I just had a look at the schedule, there doesn't seem to be a Magic: The Gathering panel. There's usually one with Aaron Forscythe, its one of the panels I look forward to most. Is there no panel organised by Wizards this year?

"It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse" - Kane : Tiberian Sun
  • MysteriousIconMysteriousIcon Registered User regular
    Druex wrote: »
    I just had a look at the schedule, there doesn't seem to be a Magic: The Gathering panel. There's usually one with Aaron Forscythe, its one of the panels I look forward to most. Is there no panel organised by Wizards this year?

I believe they said that there were 3 other announcements left to be made, one per day for the rest of the week, so maybe it'll be announced then. Fingers crossed!

• TrueGamesTrueGames Registered User new member
    Hi everyone - I am going to my first PAX Aus this year and I'm unsure how to make certain I can do the tournaments and workshops that I want to. I am going on the Saturday only. How do I get into the Minecraft build or Rocket League tournaments? Do I just line up at the appropriate area well in advance, or is there some form of pre-signup, on the day or before the day? Thanks for any help you can give.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Do we know if panellists will be able to pick up their badges on the Thursday evening yet? Maybe we'll get an email with that info closer to the show, I don't know.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Usually panelists can pick up badges during normal will call hours. PAX *usually* has Thursday will call hours, but I don't think they have been set yet.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    TrueGames wrote: »
    Hi everyone - I am going to my first PAX Aus this year and I'm unsure how to make certain I can do the tournaments and workshops that I want to. I am going on the Saturday only. How do I get into the Minecraft build or Rocket League tournaments? Do I just line up at the appropriate area well in advance, or is there some form of pre-signup, on the day or before the day? Thanks for any help you can give.

For anything run by PAX with sign ups, it is first come first served at that area's HQ on the day of the event as a rule of thumb. So for Rocket League tournament, go to Console Tourney (assuming its not PC) first thing day of the tournament if its really important to you to get signed up.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • ecka4x4ecka4x4 Registered User new member
    Hi all,
    First time at PAX & I'm pumped. When will the map come out? I've got the guidebook for this year, but no map is in it. Big pats on back for those hard workers & volunteers who help to make this event happen. :)

https://guidebook.com/guide/48636/maps/

The maps are up. Here is the link.

• ecka4x4ecka4x4 Registered User new member
    vonhist wrote: »
    https://guidebook.com/guide/48636/maps/

The maps are up. Here is the link.

Thanks for that. Seems a bit weird that the maps aren't on pax website or in the guidebook app I have. Maybe it will get there soon.

• mouseno4mouseno4 Registered User regular
    I have never been to a convention. What kind of things do you guys recommend i bring? I am thinking about bringing a backpack with some reading material like gaming magazines, along with a huge bottle of water (someone suggested that to me) along with my iPad for browsing the internet and for keeping up with my schedule, my 3DS XL for streetpass and for passing the time in queue. Apparently the queues are so big that you will miss entire schedules waiting in them. I kinda doubt there will be anywhere to charge up my devices when they run out of power, so i will also bring my 13000mah battery.

Anyone care to suggest anything else?

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    How close are you staying to the venue? I grabbed a portable battery pack after running out of juice at PAX AUS '13, but my hotel was so close I could charge stuff in my room when it got low, and the handheld area had plenty of charging tables for 3DS/PSP etc. Not sure if they have phone charging areas?

EDIT: They surely do somewhere, but I never had to track it down.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
    Charging can be had around the place but there are power cubes in Handheld Lounge. These get popular quickly though. One thing I have seen recommended is a cardboard tube that you can strap or tape to your backpack, not too long but big enough to fit standard posters into. That way when you get posters as swag you can just roll them up, slot them into the tube and they will be safe for the rest of the day! Also, bottle of alcohol hand gel. Use it often, especially if you've just used a very busy demo station.

To be honest, I'm just remembering things from the most excellent Giant Bomb community member Marino's guide he wrote for PAX Prime, ignoring the stuff about Seattle and Giant Bomb, this is pretty much a PAX bible. Read and learn - http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/marino/blog/pax-guide-2015-prime-edition/110973/

+1 to what Cuzza said.
    Don't forget deodorant!!!

I live in the outer suburbs.

As for that PAX bible, consider it read. And yes, deodorant!

• Cookienommer51Cookienommer51 Registered User regular
    HELP! I've got my ticket but i accidentally deleted the receipt email what do i do!

You have your pass? Then you're done. Show up with that pass and you get in. You only need the receipt/confirmation if you are picking up a ticket from registration.

me too mouse, hour on pt to get there. Worth it? Hell yes!!

I am still trying to work out parking. I mean... from 9am til 11pm its a bloody long time to leave a car for. Likely i will put it a good 10 minute train ride from the convention doors, just to guarantee i wont be searching for an hour.

Especially when considering that one of the days is Friday, which while is an awesome PAX day, is still a work day for the outside world so you'll still have to fight with peak traffic to get to MCEC.

• TrueGamesTrueGames Registered User new member

For anything run by PAX with sign ups, it is first come first served at that area's HQ on the day of the event as a rule of thumb. So for Rocket League tournament, go to Console Tourney (assuming its not PC) first thing day of the tournament if its really important to you to get signed up.

Thanks Beker - that's helpful

edited October 2015
    Beker wrote: »
    TrueGames wrote: »

The Enforcers are there to ensure there is a smooth opening each day and prevent a mad crush when PAX Aus opens. There will be a mind boggling long queue each morning for the opening of the doors. Given the thousands of people that will be patiently waiting to get through the doors I can't stress enough how important it is to be at the front of that queue and to go straight to the tournament signup. Don't get distracted by the booths on the way to the sign ups.

Your problem is if there is a Rocket League tournament its signup is likely to be in the Console area while a Magic Tournament signup is likely to be in the Table Top area.

For the sessions there will be queues to enter the rooms and some queues may exceed the seating capacity of the room. If you arrive too late you can miss out. There will always be an Enforcer managing the queues outside the rooms. At PAX Aus 2014 I never was locked out of any of the sessions but it could happen to you so be prepared to queue for most sessions. I would look at the size of the room and the queue length in the lead up to a session. As an example the Good Game sessions in previous years always had long queues.

PDP11 on
    mouseno4 wrote: »
    I am still trying to work out parking. I mean... from 9am til 11pm its a bloody long time to leave a car for. Likely i will put it a good 10 minute train ride from the convention doors, just to guarantee i wont be searching for an hour.

There is all day parking under the Convention Centre but it is limited and going to cost you. There are cheaper car parks further away. Google 'MCEC Parking'/

Park in the inner suburbs and train it in.

vonhist wrote: »
    Park in the inner suburbs and train it in.

Probably will have to. I dont think i will have a choice.

• AManImmortalAManImmortal Registered User new member
    Just wanted to check if we would be getting a BYOC information email. This is my first year at PAX and I have no idea where to go and what times we can bring all our gear in.

Also a list of the games being played, if there are comps, would also help immensely. Some of us will need to spend the next week just downloading the games on Steam/Origin etc. (Curse you slow internet!)