As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    a
    kaceyp wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    5 bucks says they mentioned the cage because they'll deal with the darkness by somehow jamming it in there, possibly letting Michael and Lucifer out and replaying seasons 4-5 again.

Maybe they'll actually get Adam out while there there...

They made a joke about them leaving him in there last season during the 200th episode musical, but nothing ever came of it.

I cannot tell you how irritated I was that they explicitly reminded the audience about how they've totally left Adam in the Cage for years and have done absolutely nothing to try to free him from eternal torment...

and then they just never mentioned it again. It seemed like such a specific, awkward beat in that episode that I hoped that it was setting something up and wasn't just supposed to be a continuity reference. I was wrong.

Although I will continue to hope for them to resolve that thread until the show finally ends. I was happy about the reference to the Cage, Michael and Lucifer, and will once again hope that it is actually setting something up....

Another icky reminder:
    their father is still in hell.

I think they brought it up a whole 1 time before going "nah fuck that guy lets save bobby because that actor doesn't hate the show"

Unless this got retconned post season 7...

He got out of hell in season 2, when they opened the devils gate he held yellow eyes so they could cap him and then vanished up to heaven. Even was mentioned that he was up there with their mom.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    In what way did he hate the show? I LOVE TV GOSSIP

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    a
    kaceyp wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    5 bucks says they mentioned the cage because they'll deal with the darkness by somehow jamming it in there, possibly letting Michael and Lucifer out and replaying seasons 4-5 again.

Maybe they'll actually get Adam out while there there...

They made a joke about them leaving him in there last season during the 200th episode musical, but nothing ever came of it.

I cannot tell you how irritated I was that they explicitly reminded the audience about how they've totally left Adam in the Cage for years and have done absolutely nothing to try to free him from eternal torment...

and then they just never mentioned it again. It seemed like such a specific, awkward beat in that episode that I hoped that it was setting something up and wasn't just supposed to be a continuity reference. I was wrong.

Although I will continue to hope for them to resolve that thread until the show finally ends. I was happy about the reference to the Cage, Michael and Lucifer, and will once again hope that it is actually setting something up....

Another icky reminder:
    their father is still in hell.

I think they brought it up a whole 1 time before going "nah fuck that guy lets save bobby because that actor doesn't hate the show"

Unless this got retconned post season 7...

He got out of hell in season 2, when they opened the devils gate he held yellow eyes so they could cap him and then vanished up to heaven. Even was mentioned that he was up there with their mom.
    Actually, when they went up to heaven and met Ash, Ash mentioned that he couldn't find John or Mary and didn't know where they were. So John is definitely not in hell, but nobody's really sure where he is.

Of course, they only said that because it's too hard/expensive/whatever for them to book JDM anymore and wanted to handwave away why he didn't appear

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    I'm sad that Jeffrey Dean Morgan is too expensive for Supernatural. I recall back in like season 4 he mentioned he'd love to come back.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    JDM has started doing Supernatural conventions, so... maybe that'll turn into something. I know he's expressed displeasure with the writing of John in later seasons after he left and would like to "set the record straight"

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    Well I agree with him there. The couple time travel episodes we got turned John from an Ex Marine bad ass broken person to a victim of circumstance in a larger war of which he barely had a part.

Also known as supernatural ruining its own cannon.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Well I agree with him there. The couple time travel episodes we got turned John from an Ex Marine bad ass broken person to a victim of circumstance in a larger war of which he barely had a part.

Also known as supernatural

And that was with Kripke at the helm as I recall. It was basically the midichlorian mistake. You explained it, you didn't have to explain it.

It's the one thing I didn't like about season 5 and the overall conflict that lead to it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I thought that stuff was fine!

I think the only reason I still watch this damn show is every so often there's a decent piece of world building or some hint of the old goodness, none of which goes anywhere. The writers have been playing supernatural mad libs with the storyline at least since Season 7; there's a formula, everyone's drawing a paycheck, and no one wants to do good old fashioned flyover state horror tourism anymore.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I was always under the impression that
    Both parents souls had been consumed. Like, they're gone. Angel and Demon gone. Never to be returned until the finale when the writers decide that GodChuck will bring them back

are YOU on the beer list?
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I thought that stuff was fine!

I think the only reason I still watch this damn show is every so often there's a decent piece of world building or some hint of the old goodness, none of which goes anywhere. The writers have been playing supernatural mad libs with the storyline at least since Season 7; there's a formula, everyone's drawing a paycheck, and no one wants to do good old fashioned flyover state horror tourism anymore.

This explains why I have such mixed emotions about this show anymore, it teases me every so often with what it used to be only to then hand wave away any potentially good storyline
    I was always under the impression that
    Both parents souls had been consumed. Like, they're gone. Angel and Demon gone. Never to be returned until the finale when the writers decide that GodChuck will bring them back

Did they retcon this? I feel like they retconned this and now act like they had never heavily insinuated it.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The thing about teasing, is that eventually you have to either put up or shut up.

Supernatural has failed to do either.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So this is weird. That last episode was...good. Like, quite good. They're building up a big bad! Sam actually did research and solved a problem with his Hunter skills! The bad guy is mysterious and actually scary!

If they don't resolve half these plot lines in a day, this will be good. So far, it looks like they know what they're doing, for once?

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So this is weird. That last episode was...good. Like, quite good. They're building up a big bad! Sam actually did research and solved a problem with his Hunter skills! The bad guy is mysterious and actually scary!

If they don't resolve half these plot lines in a day, this will be good. So far, it looks like they know what they're doing, for once?

Technically the reaper told him and he used notgoogle.

• never dienever die Registered User regular

Technically the reaper told him and he used notgoogle.

They do that quite a bit in the show though. They get help or hints to solve a lot of the crazier things.

Also known as supernatural ruining its own cannon.

I didn't really have a problem with this, because John didn't become a bad-ass hunter until after Mary died. It was literally his origin story as a bad-ass hunter, same as Sam and Dean. We see John in the first season after 22 years of hunting, and in the later seasons as a guy adjusting to civilian life and happy to have a family. One does not counter-act the other.

My opinion of the show has been that Season 6 and 8 were the low points quality wise, with only a couple of episodes that were really good (I still stand by, except for the fairy episode, the best episodes of season 6 were the ones that Sam and Dean were essentially background characters). Season 7 and 9 were decent, and season 10 was pretty entertaining overall. I don't think the show post season 5 has reached peak season 2 or season 4 (my favorite seasons) but its as good as early-mid season 1 (I feel it drags at times), season 3 (I didn't really like Bela, it was hurt hard by the writer's strike, and the plot meanders through most of the season), and mid-season 5. It also, I feel, has been getting better in quality, though dealing with the Buffy Syndrome of having to top its self every season while also making the archs more self-contained.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    This was a good episode.

Like, really good. Not just because of the camera gimmick, which was neat. In and of itself, the episode was good. Great writing, warm and fuzzy Sam and Dean interaction, compelling plot development hints.

Supernatural has been good this season. What's happening? Is it the Apocalypse again?

H9f4bVe.png
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I thought for sure the car was gonna get demolished by a train this episode.

Also
    it seems they were hinting at the brothers getting the divine help they'd been asking for in typical "mysterious" fashion.

The hairpin. The pennies. Dean had everything he needed right when he needed it most through apparently random chance.

Pretty good episode.

But one thing that bothered me
    was Dean just rolling around town with his car covered in blood. This show has completely abandoned the concept of Sam and Dean maybe having to deal with mortal authorities.

RT800 on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    That was a great episode. Basically a bottle episode which I loved. Also

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Man I want Mark Pellegrino to come back. He was so good.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I thought for sure the car was gonna get demolished by a train this episode.

Also
    it seems they were hinting at the brothers getting the divine help they'd been asking for in typical "mysterious" fashion.

The hairpin. The pennies. Dean had everything he needed right when he needed it most through apparently random chance.

Pretty good episode.

But one thing that bothered me
    was Dean just rolling around town with his car covered in blood. This show has completely abandoned the concept of Sam and Dean maybe having to deal with mortal authorities.

There in bumfuck nowhere, meaning deer everywhere. Also the deputy for nowheresville is already dead and not responding(how many do they have?). They had pulled up to a gas station, if things went normally, I would have thought he was just going to host the car off there. Also they are already a known quantity as federal agents to the authorities, so if more roll up it would probably be fine.

steam_sig.png
    Holy crap, was that a good episode of Supernatural?

It's been so long I forgot what they looked like.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    That was a great episode. Basically a bottle episode which I loved. Also

giphy.gif

Seriously though, this season has been weird. Because it's been good! I'm actively interested in knowing what the Darkness is up to, God seems to be doing some mysterious things, the brothers are hunting and doing it the good old fashion way, the big bad is even scaring the other monsters. They've got a good hook and I'm intrigued. Assuming they don't off the Darkness in the next few episodes, this season is shaping up to be the best since 5.

And Baby was a great episode. Loved how they shot that.

I want them to open the cage only because I want to see more Mark Pellegrino Lucifer.

I don't know about "good."

But, well, it's Supernatural.

I don't know about "good."

But, well, it's Supernatural.

after 4 years of eating shit, a mouth full of rotten rancid flesh would be a delicacy.

Its the same thing with supernatural post season 5

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Stay the course boys, you're doin' swell.

H9f4bVe.png
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Did anyone notice?
    When Amara sucked out Len's soul, the light in his mouth didn't go out. Contrast that to Amara sucking out the babysitter's soul. The light went out. Did Len still have soul over? Did he have two souls?

TeaSpoon on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Did anyone notice?
    When Amara sucked out Len's soul, the light in his mouth didn't go out. Contrast that to Amara sucking out the babysitter's soul. The light went out. Did Len still have soul over? Did he have two souls?

The effect seemed different than when that has happened before. It confused me as well.
    There was also like a formed ball in the suction of the wispyness? I thought it was something new but the show just kind of seemed to ignore it.
    I keep being so dead wrong about stuff on this show so I kind of give up. This episode was better than alright. I was kind of dissapointed that
    it wasnt just monster of the week, it was the darkness doing it
    .But that twist wasnt the worst thing in the world, either.

My problem right now:
    darkness eats souls, and the three 'factions' of hell,heaven and some people in the purgatory all collect souls for power. I guess I assumed they were either using them as fodder, or more likely eating them for power already. So darkness so far just seems like another 'cut above' purgatory bad guy. But we know she was dangerous enough to get locked up by god. I think the show is going to fail to deliver on scale here.*crosses fingers I'm wrong*

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    Did anyone notice?

The effect seemed different than when that has happened before. It confused me as well.
    There was also like a formed ball in the suction of the wispyness? I thought it was something new but the show just kind of seemed to ignore it.
    I keep being so dead wrong about stuff on this show so I kind of give up. This episode was better than alright. I was kind of dissapointed that

My problem right now:
    darkness eats souls, and the three 'factions' of hell,heaven and some people in the purgatory all collect souls for power. I guess I assumed they were either using them as fodder, or more likely eating them for power already. So darkness so far just seems like another 'cut above' purgatory bad guy. But we know she was dangerous enough to get locked up by god. I think the show is going to fail to deliver on scale here.*crosses fingers I'm wrong*

Re. the factions
    Hell seems to collect souls in order to convert them into demons - it hasn't been mentioned in a while, but demons are basically human souls that 'evolved' in Hell to gain their powers. Presumably Hell wants to increase its numbers and therefore its influence.

Heaven shelters souls seemingly because that is their purpose as ordained by God. Souls all get their own private, personal heavens to exist in eternally. Whether heaven uses them for power or anything I don't know, but if Heaven goes to the bad and starts turning into a giant soul battery/concentration camp, that might be an interesting storyline.

Purgatory was the resting place of the souls of non-humans - vampires, shape-shifters, leviathans, etc. Presumably they do hunt and consume one-another - not sure if that would destroy the consumed soul and make the winner stronger, or if the defeated would eventually come back to life somewhere within Purgatory to be hunted again.

Season 6 was about people hunting down Purgatory and using the souls in there for power, so its entirely possible to use souls as a power source. But those souls were eventually returned, not totally consumed.

Its entirely possible that this is the first actual soul-devouring entity the boys have ever encountered. This would throw a wrench into Heaven and Hell's plans, since destroying souls would clash with both their goals of gathering souls.

H9f4bVe.png
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Did anyone notice?

My problem right now:

Re. the factions
    Hell seems to collect souls in order to convert them into demons - it hasn't been mentioned in a while, but demons are basically human souls that 'evolved' in Hell to gain their powers. Presumably Hell wants to increase its numbers and therefore its influence.

Heaven shelters souls seemingly because that is their purpose as ordained by God. Souls all get their own private, personal heavens to exist in eternally. Whether heaven uses them for power or anything I don't know, but if Heaven goes to the bad and starts turning into a giant soul battery/concentration camp, that might be an interesting storyline.

Purgatory was the resting place of the souls of non-humans - vampires, shape-shifters, leviathans, etc. Presumably they do hunt and consume one-another - not sure if that would destroy the consumed soul and make the winner stronger, or if the defeated would eventually come back to life somewhere within Purgatory to be hunted again.

Season 6 was about people hunting down Purgatory and using the souls in there for power, so its entirely possible to use souls as a power source. But those souls were eventually returned, not totally consumed.

Its entirely possible that this is the first actual soul-devouring entity the boys have ever encountered. This would throw a wrench into Heaven and Hell's plans, since destroying souls would clash with both their goals of gathering souls.

The implication of the season 6 soul story line was that somehow souls are a source of power for angels. Cass managed to have the upper hand in the war due to his larger collection of souls. Whether that was a temporary measure for the war, or an ongoing thing wasn't immediately explored and so now will never even come close to having a sensible answer.

It's best not to think about the behind-the-curtain stuff. They had a glimmer of a neat setup* implied at the end of Season 5, then borked it completely over time.

*The personalized Heavens are the same as the personalized Hells; they both use the person's soul to create a little mini-universe. Good people make pleasant heavens, bad people make unpleasant hells. The Garden is the abode of Angels and the Pit is the abode of Demons; humans who sell their soul go to the Pit instead of a regular Hell and get converted into Demon over time.

But who the heck knows now.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that the entire point of the black and white monster movie episode was to get Dean in lederhosen.

Well that was a neat episode ending. Wonder whose fingers those were. Is there still
    a bit of Sam in the cage or is it just a vision? Or is the wall Death put up to help him not remember coming down since Death died?

Well that was a neat episode ending. Wonder whose fingers those were. Is there still
    a bit of Sam in the cage or is it just a vision? Or is the wall Death put up to help him not remember coming down since Death died?

I suspect that-

given that Sam started getting these visions after praying to God for help, it may be that God is hinting to Sam that the key to defeating the Darkness lies with the two remaining beings who've actually fought her before - Lucifer and Michael.

It could also be that Lucifer and Michael know about the Darkness getting loose and are calling out for someone to free them to fight it - a demon mentioned earlier that screams were coming from the Cage that all of Hell heard.

H9f4bVe.png
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    It's totally saying
    Adam is the key to saving the universe!

I'm kidding, he's in there forever.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Golden Yak wrote: »

I suspect that-

given that Sam started getting these visions after praying to God for help, it may be that God is hinting to Sam that the key to defeating the Darkness lies with the two remaining beings who've actually fought her before - Lucifer and Michael.

It could also be that Lucifer and Michael know about the Darkness getting loose and are calling out for someone to free them to fight it - a demon mentioned earlier that screams were coming from the Cage that all of Hell heard.

I have to agree. This seems to be where things are headed.
    It seems fairly clear that its Lucifer in the cage making all the commotion. I don't know if we even need to care about Michael (and we're definitely not supposed to care about Adam). The demons have noted the screaming from the cage coinciding with the release of the Darkness. Sam has had multiple crazy visions of the cage. And it was made explicit by Death (I believe it was Death) that Lucifer was the one who was originally given the Lock and Key to The Darkness' prison (Original bearer of the Mark of Cain).

Lucifer clearly knows what's up. He may even know how to re-seal The Darkness, given that he was there when she was sealed the first time. Unfortunately, Sam and Dean will likely leave this clue sitting on a shelf and only act on it in a case of absolute last resort. They'd likely have to re-open the cage in order to get the information. Freeing angry archangels from the pit doesn't seem like a thing the brothers would be willing to do unless they have literally no other options.

EDIT: And I'm totally OK with that. Lucifer (possibly Michael, hey even Adam, why not?) get released from the cage near the end of the season to help fight The Darkness. Then we get Lucifer back for next season. Who wouldn't want more Lucifer?

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    I want them to open the cage only because I want to see more Mark Pellegrino Lucifer.

Good actor, but I don't think there's anything left of that vessel for Lucifer to inhabit unless they just handwave the fact that he was disintegrating at the end.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Good actor, but I don't think there's anything left of that vessel for Lucifer to inhabit unless they just handwave the fact that he was disintegrating at the end.

The writers wouldn't remember.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »

The writers wouldn't remember.

Hah hah

so true