As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vision problems

taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just started having a weird vision problem where at the senter of my vision I am seeing a strange blurring/flickering in the shape of a distorted C. It is very distracting and I actually have to look slightly away from some things to be able to read them. I have tried keeping one eye closed to see if it was one of the eyes specifically, this does not seem to effect it.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? What could it be?

taeric on

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Uh, detaching retina?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I also have a pretty bad headache at the moment. Pretty much right at the base where my neck hits my head. Not sure if that can help.

I checked this site and I don't meet any of the reasons why retinal detachment might happen. (I realize that doesn't mean this isn't what it is.)

taeric on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Go see an optometrist. Maybe it's nothing, but why take the chance? You only get two eyes.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip on
  • Options
    PussumPussum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I know I have something like that. They are called floaters. They are little tiny bits of debris that are cause by the insides of your eye breaking down. Your best bet is to see and OPTHAMOLOGIST. An optometrist will really do nothing to help you. Go see a doctor ASAP. It could be something as severe as a detached retina or something as minor as a piece of debris stuck in your eye. Go to a doctor!

Pussum on
    venomsigva5.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So I called my doctor and made an appointment for this afternoon. I described my symptoms and he thought that it could be a simple side effect of a migraine. So.... I'm going to take some medication for that and go and see him this afternoon (soonest I can get in).

Do migrains actually screw with people's vision this way?

Edit: I forgot to say thanks for all of the responses. I'm extremely grateful.

Edit2: I also forgot to say that my vision is now back. Whatever it was stopped completely almost as soon as I got on the phone with my doctor.

taeric on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Could it maybe just be stress related? I guess you'll find out soon enough.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    read this - my mom gets these - sounds just like what you have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    read this - my mom gets these - sounds just like what you have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

That is evidently what my doctor thinks. I will add that I do believe I am now having one of my worst headaches ever. I do believe some of that might just be the stress of having lost my vision for a bit.

I'll post what the official prognosis is when I find out. Probably either late tonight or tomorrow morning.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

taeric on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Pussum wrote:
    I know I have something like that. They are called floaters. They are little tiny bits of debris that are cause by the insides of your eye breaking down. Your best bet is to see and OPTHAMOLOGIST. An optometrist will really do nothing to help you. Go see a doctor ASAP. It could be something as severe as a detached retina or something as minor as a piece of debris stuck in your eye. Go to a doctor!

woah, woah. i've got little black specks on both eyes for two weeks now. Always in the exact same spot relative to each other. Is this what that is?

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Pussum wrote:

woah, woah. i've got little black specks on both eyes for two weeks now. Always in the exact same spot relative to each other. Is this what that is?

I was actually curious about that, too. I will go for a long time with what looks like ... dust, I guess, in my vision. I have one right now, actually. Looks a lot like a squigly that is hard to look at because it is not in my center vision. And you try to look at it, and it moves. :)

So... are these things normal? I've always assumed everyone has this.

taeric on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    taeric wrote:
    Yes, they absolutely can. It's called "migraine with aura," and it occurs in about a quarter of people who have migraines. The presence of other symptoms (such as the aura, other sensory phenomena, or nausea) is usually what distinguishes a migraine from a really bad tension headache.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    taeric wrote:
    Yes, they absolutely can. It's called "migraine with aura," and it occurs in about a quarter of people who have migraines. The presence of other symptoms (such as the aura, other sensory phenomena, or nausea) is usually what distinguishes a migraine from a really bad tension headache.
    Also, the type of pain a migraine causes is usually different from the type of pain you get from other headaches.

This sounds like a migraine. They suck--a lot--but it's not going to kill you.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    taeric wrote:

This is what happens to me when I get a migraine. I get to watch the moon come up, and drift lazily around the room for a bit, which would be kind of cool if it didn't presage pain that leaves me comepltly unable to function.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    taeric wrote:

This is what happens to me when I get a migraine. I get to watch the moon come up, and drift lazily around the room for a bit, which would be kind of cool if it didn't presage pain that leaves me comepltly unable to function.

I get this as well, it goes away and you think "Sweet my vision is back" and the HOLY FUCK PAIN kicks in.

It sucks, I suggest taking Ibuprophen if you are not allergic to it, Extra Strength Advil is what I use. Or if you really want to get some good stuff, head to the hospital and they will put a needle of gravol into one ass cheek and a needle of some other sort of blood thinner crap into the other one.

Anyways, after you get medicine, find the darkest, coldest, most undesturbed section of your house, and take a very long nap there.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    taeric wrote:
    Pussum wrote:

I was actually curious about that, too. I will go for a long time with what looks like ... dust, I guess, in my vision. I have one right now, actually. Looks a lot like a squigly that is hard to look at because it is not in my center vision. And you try to look at it, and it moves. :)

So... are these things normal? I've always assumed everyone has this.

I've had/have this myself, since it goes away and I forget about it I never think much of it. Though it is amusing to try and look at them, since its practically impossible to get a good look.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070