As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] IB 2.0: My Babar is Ready

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Also thread I have a confession

I'm that defender who bubbles and uses the come at me emote

I'm....a monster....

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Arch wrote: »
    Hey @Hiryu02 your advice on defender PvP has turned me into a monster.

Plus NBP doesn't hurt either

Last night I got a penta kill because five people just chain walked into my bubble and I just leisurely shotgunned them all down.

I don't know what they were thinking

Maybe something like "This guy seems nice, we should give him a pentakill. He looks like he deserves it."

Lmao isn't it great? I purposely ran defender without Saint-14 in PvP even before NBP because when ppl see that you don't have a blind bubble, they get all brave and think they can kill you in your safe place.

I'm like dude, I'm running Armor of Light in here. I can Gjallahorn you in the face in my bubble pointblank and I will survive. I have survived. But hey, yeah sure, come dance with me.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Also thread I have a confession

I'm that defender who bubbles and uses the come at me emote

I'm....a monster....

I prefer the Neo, personally.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I saw a dirty Sunbreaker get a butt towel yesterday from IB. Out of 15 games... that was the only legendary drop I saw.

Also, while I positively found last night's IB to be a Not Fun experience, I ran my stats and performance wise it wasn't particularly bad. It just feels grating now.

W/L was 11-4, with an average personal score of 2400 and a match spread with an average of 4900 points (closest margin 130 points and a loss, largest margin 10690 points and a win)

As far as fighting goes, I had 158 kills and 147 deaths, or a 1.07 K/D. With 79 assists posted on the night.

Not really liking Sunbreakers and Palpatines in IB though... I imagine they're fun to play as, but not with. :pop:

edit: I'm presently running at 292-294 light.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Am I the only person who has his 300+ light gear on ONLY when I'm doing raids or a difficult strike? Most of the time I'm running around with mismatched blues/legendaries/exotics putting xp and levels into them when I do the majority of the PVE content. I mean, shit dies just as fast in Patrol/Strikes for the most part with whatever I have on, so long as it isn't sub-250 light.

PvP yes I have a specific loadout, but I care a lot more about efficiency in PVP than PVE, exception being mainly the raid. Otherwise I feel like you could do 90% of the missions/bounties etc at whatever light and be fine. FWIW I did Fear's Embrace at sub 290 and wondered why the heck everyone complained about it. Same with Heroic Regicide.

I wish I could but the loot mechanic has me paranoid. I need as many +290 blues as I can get and as a result I feel like it's mandatory for me to be over 300

Put on your 300 gear at the Cryptarch before you decrypt your stack of blues?

yeah but you never know when you are going to get an unencrypted blue

like court of oryx, end of activity rewards, special drops and other stuff are all unencrypted. Need dem to be high light.

Ok, I see what you mean, but if you are doing Court, then you can plan for that and gear accordingly. The rest outside of strikes and bosses I'm kinda meh. I can't see how gimping your fun by voluntarily abstaining from using whatever fun new guns and gear you feel like in most casual pve and maybe even pvp content is outweighed by an occasional unencrypted blue drop.

My warlock isn't even 289 but he already has had a 300 blue helm drop for him. It's RNG, man. You are gonna get those high drops no matter what.

I had a long post about this conversation but I think it all comes down to your final point. It is RNG. But there's something to be said for doing things that you personally feel will help. I'm always using blues and stuff to level them, especially due to the weapon part nerf, but I was also the guy doing the "280-284 trick" at the Cryptarch. I think I'm past that mind set now, but I understand the comfort it provides.

RNGesus will provide, eventually, yes. But play how you feel is best. Otherwise, you are hurting your own enjoyment.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Not really liking Sunbreakers and Palpatines in IB though... I imagine they're fun to play as, but not with. :pop:

Sunbreakers are boring IMO. They have all their power in their (silly powerful) super. No interesting grenades, no particularly useful melee, no interesting neutral abilities. You just kind of autopilot until your super is up.

I'm not a fan of Sunbreakers or Stormcallers in PvP.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    They are going to fix the Nightfall rewards? Good news.

They should take a look at Weekly Heroics too, they feel a little underwhelming as well, at least the modifier isnt bad.

Regarding the material nerfs, glad I have like 2500+ weapon parts spread out on 3 characters already.
    Dajoran wrote: »

Also, this is the PR Bungie needs right now, short and specific.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Marikir wrote: »
    Am I the only person who has his 300+ light gear on ONLY when I'm doing raids or a difficult strike? Most of the time I'm running around with mismatched blues/legendaries/exotics putting xp and levels into them when I do the majority of the PVE content. I mean, shit dies just as fast in Patrol/Strikes for the most part with whatever I have on, so long as it isn't sub-250 light.

PvP yes I have a specific loadout, but I care a lot more about efficiency in PVP than PVE, exception being mainly the raid. Otherwise I feel like you could do 90% of the missions/bounties etc at whatever light and be fine. FWIW I did Fear's Embrace at sub 290 and wondered why the heck everyone complained about it. Same with Heroic Regicide.

I wish I could but the loot mechanic has me paranoid. I need as many +290 blues as I can get and as a result I feel like it's mandatory for me to be over 300

like court of oryx, end of activity rewards, special drops and other stuff are all unencrypted. Need dem to be high light.

Ok, I see what you mean, but if you are doing Court, then you can plan for that and gear accordingly. The rest outside of strikes and bosses I'm kinda meh. I can't see how gimping your fun by voluntarily abstaining from using whatever fun new guns and gear you feel like in most casual pve and maybe even pvp content is outweighed by an occasional unencrypted blue drop.

My warlock isn't even 289 but he already has had a 300 blue helm drop for him. It's RNG, man. You are gonna get those high drops no matter what.

I had a long post about this conversation but I think it all comes down to your final point. It is RNG. But there's something to be said for doing things that you personally feel will help. I'm always using blues and stuff to level them, especially due to the weapon part nerf, but I was also the guy doing the "280-284 trick" at the Cryptarch. I think I'm past that mind set now, but I understand the comfort it provides.

RNGesus will provide, eventually, yes. But play how you feel is best. Otherwise, you are hurting your own enjoyment.

The last part is what I was mostly getting at. DodgeBlan was expressing that he wasn't having fun because he always had the same gear on for fear of missing a drop. I'm saying you are gonna get that drop regardless, go ham. Have fun, play dumb builds and so on.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options

Sunbreakers are boring IMO. They have all their power in their (silly powerful) super. No interesting grenades, no particularly useful melee, no interesting neutral abilities. You just kind of autopilot until your super is up.

I would almost say that Defenders are the same way- with a few exceptions. Especially having NBP allows your melee to be super useful, and they have suppression grenades of course.

But honestly I always run Sticky Grenades anyway because, even if the suppression have more utility there is just something viscerally satisfying about lobbing a sticky grenade into someone's face and laughing behind cover as they blow up.

Or revenge killing

• Options
    Hey Hiryu-

what perks do you run with your Defender? I've been running Warmachine and Bastion, but I'm wondering if Unbreakable and Relentless with NBP might be a better combo

What's your input?

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Man I'm torn between not caring about IB (boots? Blah) and wanting that wolf head cloak .

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options

A repeated theme of the night was me seeing a group of dudes, popping my super to get ready to kill them and then they're all dead before I can cock my shadow bow because HAMMERS. Going the opposite way from HAMMERS, and then losing more kills because the same guy still has HAMMERS to throw across the map. :|

• Options

I would almost say that Defenders are the same way- with a few exceptions. Especially having NBP allows your melee to be super useful, and they have suppression grenades of course.

But honestly I always run Sticky Grenades anyway because, even if the suppression have more utility there is just something viscerally satisfying about lobbing a sticky grenade into someone's face and laughing behind cover as they blow up.

Or revenge killing

NBP is huge for Defenders, and that combined with suppression grenades give them a very potent game without their super. Magnet grenades are fun, but the satisfaction of rolling up a newspaper and swatting a Sunbreaker or Stormcaller on the nose is incredible.

• Options

Or revenge killing

NBP is huge for Defenders, and that combined with suppression grenades give them a very potent game without their super. Magnet grenades are fun, but the satisfaction of rolling up a newspaper and swatting a Sunbreaker or Stormcaller on the nose is incredible.

Now that I'm more comfortable, I might try it out. Does it...turn off supers?

Or does it just prevent them from using them?

• Options

Or revenge killing

It shuts supers down and prevents them from being activated. it was the anti-blade dancer back in the day.

• Options
    Hey Hiryu-

what perks do you run with your Defender? I've been running Warmachine and Bastion, but I'm wondering if Unbreakable and Relentless with NBP might be a better combo

What's your input?

Warmachine is really good, but I run Unbreakable and Relentless myself. Unbreakable can give you a ton of additional shield time, combined with NBP and Relentless. Assuming you don't lose overshield completely, Unbreakable is amazing but somewhat situational. If you keep your overshield, at tier 3 Strength you have 60-70% of your melee recharged by the time overshield wears off.

War Machine is a great general perk regardless though. I don't run Bastion because for me, a bubble does its job or fails in the first 10 seconds of me deploying it. I run up to three guys capping B, bubble up and git ta' blasting. In ten seconds either I'm dead or they are and the point is MINE.

I do run the perk that shortens the general cooldown of bubble, though. Armor of Light for max get outta my house. Unbreakable, Relentless.

• Options

Or revenge killing

It straight up cancels Christmas.

• Options

Or revenge killing

Holy fuck I never knew that

Oh man I'm gonna be a straight up asshole tonight

• Options
    Defenders really are the class that just says NO

NO this is my heavy ammo

NO this is my capture point

NO this is my probe

NO I'm not going to die

NO you aren't going to use your super

NO
    NO
    NO

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    The only downside of playing Sunbreaker in PVP aside from Striker is the lack of my shoulder charge.

Never been a huge fan of the defender spec. In fact, even to this day, I don't even have/care to have it leveled out on my titan.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options

Or revenge killing

Suppressor nades also help your team a lot especially if you have backup. Three dudes capping your A? Tag them all with a supp nade and now they can't jump, melee, grenade back or super. Even if they kill you they are sitting ducks for the rest of your team.

I swear I could see the look of confused panic on this Stormcaller's face behind his helm when I turned off space lightning time with a nade, and he couldn't even jump away from my fist.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I have NBP Y2's in my bank...I guess at some point I'll dump some levels in to them. Right now I'm using Alpha Lupi for raiding.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Or revenge killing

Holy fuck I never knew that

Oh man I'm gonna be a straight up asshole tonight

SUPPRESSOR GRENADES: Removes supers, removes melee abilities, disables jump abilities, locks grenades, takes ugly photos of you and tags them on Facebook, knows more about your favorite show than you, cancels Christmas, steals all your cola and doesn't buy any more, makes sure your next Oryx drop is shards only, and does a little bit of void damage too.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    I had a lot of fun in Crucible as a Defender Titan pre-TTK using a shotgun and the Super Armor inside bubble to basically deny points to people. Even sidestepped and shotgunned a couple bladedancers who got cocky. This was using a blind bubble and not NBP though, so...results may vary.

But it was very fun. Much dancing was done on corpses.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular

The last part is what I was mostly getting at. DodgeBlan was expressing that he wasn't having fun because he always had the same gear on for fear of missing a drop. I'm saying you are gonna get that drop regardless, go ham. Have fun, play dumb builds and so on.

I don't actually think that's how it works. Drops are preferenced to a certain range within your current light. FACT.

and it's not a big deal, I still think the new system is an overall improvement. However I thought one of the biggest strengths of the old system was that guns were largely separated from the leveling treadmill. Now they're smack bang on that leveling treadmill.

In Y1 you wrote off all blue drops in crucible. Now I'm using Red Death and I get blue drops and think 'hmmm, if I switched to my doom of chelchis there's a greater chance that they will be useful'.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Oh also, when did stuff like the Glasshouse start taking on shader colours?! That was probably my biggest surprise on loading up TTK.

forumsig.png
  • Options

Or revenge killing

Suppressor nades also help your team a lot especially if you have backup. Three dudes capping your A? Tag them all with a supp nade and now they can't jump, melee, grenade back or super. Even if they kill you they are sitting ducks for the rest of your team.

I swear I could see the look of confused panic on this Stormcaller's face behind his helm when I turned off space lightning time with a nade, and he couldn't even jump away from my fist.

Boop him on the nose. "NO! NO!"

It's the only way to keep them housebroken.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Tabin wrote: »
    I saw carl get the butt towel last night
    Yup, a 285 butt towel :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options

I don't actually think that's how it works. Drops are preferenced to a certain range within your current light. FACT.

and it's not a big deal, I still think the new system is an overall improvement. However I thought one of the biggest strengths of the old system was that guns were largely separated from the leveling treadmill. Now they're smack bang on that leveling treadmill.

In Y1 you wrote off all blue drops in crucible. Now I'm using Red Death and I get blue drops and think 'hmmm, if I switched to my doom of chelchis there's a greater chance that they will be useful'.

I'm not sure what your mean, are you saying blue engrams are light gated based on when they drop, as opposed to when they decrypt?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Someone on reddit claimed IB gloves dropped. Only one substantiated statement so far, though.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    PSA: Titan bubbles can now tank multiple hammers. Like, basically an entire hammer super. It's pretty sweet.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    PSA: Titan bubbles can now tank multiple hammers. Like, basically an entire hammer super. It's pretty sweet.

Yo. YOOOOOOOOOOOO.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Going to be running an impromtu raid on PS4. Need 1 more if anyones interested.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Defenders really are the class that just says NO

NO this is my heavy ammo

NO this is my capture point

NO this is my probe

NO I'm not going to die

NO you aren't going to use your super

NO
    NO
    NO

Don't forget: NO you can't even see.

I feel like either the update nerfed Stormcallers' stormtrance damage resistance or else people suddenly got way better at killing them in the middle of their super. I died a whole lot more in the midst of Palpatining last night than I am used to and I know I killed at least 2 with a pulse rifle while they were on their way to me. I wound up swapping back to voidwalker to get my double kills. Also axion bolt is better than any of the stormcaller grenades (though the lightning strike one isn't bad).

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

Yo. YOOOOOOOOOOOO.

*vibrates*

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular

I'm not sure what your mean, are you saying blue engrams are light gated based on when they drop, as opposed to when they decrypt?

crucible end of activity drops are unencrypted

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yo. YOOOOOOOOOOOO.

*vibrates*

the only thing that can stop a titan

another titan

• Options

Yo. YOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Your hammers will blot out the sun?

That's K.

• Options
    In weird super interaction news, for some reason the Hunter's Void Bow tether(?) forces you to look DOWN when it afflicts you. Both myself and @Iron Weasel can attest to this from last night. In my case I was waiting for a hunter to go through a doorway so I could shotgun him, then he shoots a tether at the door opening and I find myself staring at the floor.

I related this to the rest of the group, and and a bit later Iron Weasel spoke up saying yeah, the same thing just happened to him.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Yo. YOOOOOOOOOOOO.

*vibrates*

the only thing that can stop a titan

another titan

They're like tanks that way.

Not really in any other way.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian