As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I cancel my dentist visit?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited October 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
Long story short:

I have an abscess. Swelling has gone down due to antibiotics. I saw a dentist who took a look at my mouth and referred me to an oral surgeon for a root canal on the abscesses tooth.

This root canal is scheduled for 12PM (three hours from now). I couldn't remember the address of the place so I googled. Yelp reviews popped up for the dentist. There are 5 or 6 talking about how unbelievably awful she is as a dentist.

Now I'm worried. I've had root canals before and I'm not afraid of them. But these reviews go into detail about how terrible this surgeon is.

This is awkward for 2 reasons:

1) I took a day off for this already. And I really do need this root canal - I can't let this go untreated.

2) The dentist office that referred me to this surgeon is excellent. Best dentist I ever visited. I'm kind of surprised at the contrast here.

I'm leaning more toward just going to see her anyway. But I was wondering what others think. How much stock should I put in these reviews? By contrast, Yelp reviews for other dentists in the same office got 5 star reviews. I don't think they are surgeons though.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't put too much stock in reviews over the referral from your primary dentist. I'd say just get it done, and if it turns out to be less than professional go elsewhere next time.

• Options
    Yeah I guess so.

God damn it, for a week now people have be throwing pity my way because of the root canal and I've been brushing it off because, honestly, root canals are not that bad.

Then all I do is google the dentist for her address, and now I'm worried.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Just remember that the people most likely to comment are the people that are complaining. Sure, 5 or 6 people had a bad experience and wrote about it on the internet, but how many had a good experience and didn't bother writing about it?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I would talk to the surgeon and ask questions. You can stop a procedure before they start if they are giving you a bad vibe.

They won't be happy but they can't make you do it if you say no.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Yeah I guess so.

God damn it, for a week now people have be throwing pity my way because of the root canal and I've been brushing it off because, honestly, root canals are not that bad.

Then all I do is google the dentist for her address, and now I'm worried.

Always look at a 3 star review, these will be the most honest.

4-5 stars tend to be shills, but sometimes not
    1-2 stars tend to be people who got fucked or feel screwed somehow

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    And if there's no 3+ star reviews, people are just bitching because dental work is a PITA.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    to play the pessimist, a screwed up root canal can suck

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Well, the reviews are mostly about how much of an asshole the dentist allegedly is: poor bedside manner and one person claiming the dentist ripped her off and is suing the dentist. Also, one person claimed that their root canal was extra painful.

I can weather bad bedside manner, pain is what it is, and I'm not giving a dime out of pocket today, so I guess it's fine. Nobody claimed she actually screwed up their mouth.

Drez on
  • Options
    I guess I'm going to go. Thanks for the opinions!

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    How'd it go? I'm on the edge of my seat here.

(I hope it went as well as possible!)

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Oh I'm sure it went fine.

17remake.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    She was fine.

I did get the impression - and maybe this is just observational bias - that she was well aware of her negative reviews and had tempered her manner as a result, just based on some offhand comments she made.

Otherwise, I liked her.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah people are, frankly, shit at evaluating their doctors in terms of actual results.

Like, they are barely adequate at evaluating wait staff in a restaurant, and that's basically the lowest threshold possible. (Think about the sheer number of times you encounter people who shit all over their server because the cook "messed up" their food.)

If you want a particular bedside manner, then great, but if you want an actual competent doctor then reading reviews are useless short of blatant, consistent malpractice.

Anyway, glad to hear things are working out so far!

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    though honestly why would you chat with your dentist. their hands are in your mouth the entire time

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    though honestly why would you chat with your dentist. their hands are in your mouth the entire time

Kinky.

Or not.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    You might consider leaving a positive review of your own.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I was thinking about that

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    So she's the House of Dentistry?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »

I want someone to tell my dentist and his assistant this, because they are 100% quiet, until I've got a ton of shit in my mouth, cotton balls, their fingers, various wires, water hoses, vacuum tubes whatnot...

Oh so NOW we're gonna ask me questions? ok then...

I swear they must do it for amusement, because there is no way they've ever understood one of my answers, since all my answers at that point are mrggblrggggmummgrbl

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I realize its too late but never...never do a lookup like that right before you have a procedure.

Probably better you don't do it after either.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    I realize its too late but never...never do a lookup like that right before you have a procedure.

Probably better you don't do it after either.

Haha I was thinking the same thing. It was completely unintentional. I couldn't find the referral card so I googled the address.

Google, thou art a harsh mistress.