As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Shot of Ice & Fire: Book Two (final standings are up!)

SwaeSwae Registered User regular
edited February 2016 in PAX South
twt8filr5s4z.jpg

Welcome to A Shot of Ice & Fire: Book Two, otherwise known as the Second Annual PAX South pre-PAX Community bar crawl!

In staying with PAX tradition, the Thursday evening prior to PAX will see a huge group of us crawling through the San Antonio Riverwalk, drinking, making friends, and raising money for Child's Play. There will be houses. There will be drinking challenges. There will be sigils. Be prepared, because winter PAX South is coming.

This event is strictly 21+. Facebook pages are listed under each house. Twitter: @PAXIceandFire #paxsouthbarcrawl

Prologue
In this frozen moment you flash through what you have just wielded and have yet to forge this night. Amidst your companions of valor, you seize the moment and take the challenge, for the honor of your house, for your glory in battle…

Through hill and dale, through rain and fog you and your companions of the quest push on and challenge after challenge you are overcome with the haze of battle…your memory will flicker…you can barely piece together but know you have brought honor to house and can proudly bear your sigil.

Your skull rings with fire from your quest…and it was good...

What This Is
Welcome to the PAX South version of the PrePAX bar crawl. You may have attended one of the other PrePAX bar crawls, The Triwizard Drinking Tournament or the Pokecrawl. Or if this is your first PAX, maybe not. In any case, this is a bar crawl. A Game of Thrones-themed bar crawl designed to get you drunk and meet fellow PAXers, all while raising money for the Child’s Play charity. This means we will ask you for donations. There will probably be cool things auctioned off. Don’t be stingy - bring some extra cash and think of the children.

This event will be held in and around the San Antonio Riverwalk. Registration with your House will start at 7:15 and each team will move to their first challenge bar at 8:00. Every hour, you will go forth to a new bar and a new house to humiliate with your elite drinking skills. All bars will be walking distance to each other. We come as a group, and leave as a group, so don’t try to get left behind!

How Does it Work?

When you arrive at the first bar, your Lord or Lady and his noblemen will check you in (see below for registration details). You will receive a registration card with some very important stuff on it. You will also receive six buttons with your house sigil upon them. At each bar, you will single out the weakest member of the opposing house and challenge them to a duel. Once you have completed the duel (and hopefully bested them), take their house sigil as a sign of your superiority. And then give them one of yours, just to be nice. Your goal will be to collect all six sigils to show the world that you rule the seven kingdoms…..or just that you have a liver made of Valyrian Steel.

How To Participate
You can register through Eventbrite at:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-shot-of-ice-fire-book-two-tickets-18694881895

You will be able to register yourself and a +1. Any duplicate registrations will be deleted, so don’t try to fool us. When registration opens, it will not have a waitlist due to the functionality of Eventbrite. Any cancellations or spots that open up will immediately go back into the pool. You will need to bring a printout of your registration confirmation or have it available on your smart device when you check in at your first bar. We will ask that everyone donate at least $1 for Child's Play to receive the scorecard and house buttons.

How Do I Win?
There's really no winning, per se. This is pretty much a fun, drunken night out with fellow nerds. But for those of you who do manage to conquer all of your foes and collect their sigils, there will be a button confirming the fact that you have lived through Book Two. We're also raising money for Child's Play, so bring some extra cash and for the love of the Gods old and new, think of the children.

The House that raises the most will be declared the most bestest house ever (at least for this year) and will have bragging rights going into Book Three.

Tips & Tricks
Don't Be a Dick: First and foremost, don't do anything that's going to embarrass yourself or anyone else. Especially since alcohol is going to be involved you're going to want to leave your asshole pants at home.

Know Your Limit: The only person who knows your alcohol tolerance is you. There's nothing worse than an overindulged drunk so don't be that guy or girl. If someone notices that you're getting sloppy, you're already past the point of no return. You should probably stop drinking when someone points out to you that you're peeing on a bar stool.

Leave No Housemate Behind: We arrive as a group and leave as a group. If someone has to be That Guy/Gal who gets so wasted that they think they're actually Jamie Lannister, it's the responsibility of the crawl as a whole to ensure this person makes it safely back to their hotel. Use the buddy system, handcuff yourselves to each other, whatever. No one is to vomit in a bus terminal by themselves. Not this night, at least.

Respect the Head of House and their Assistants: Anyone designated as a House noble for the crawl isn't there just to direct you to the next bar; they're there to make sure everyone's having a good time and that everything runs smoothly. They're there to keep everyone moving and to stop people from jumping up on the bar and dropping trou. If one asks you to stop picking bar fights with Tom Cruise, it might be a good idea to do so.

HAVE FUN: This is the most important guideline of all: Have fun! We're all on vacation and we're drinking with fellow nerds so let's enjoy it. Keeping ourselves fairly reasonable for the evening will make it a good time for everyone.

Reminders:
  • You must have a print out of your confirmation email or have it available on your smart phone.
  • You MUST provide your full name during the registration process, forum handle is optional.
  • You MUST be over the age of 21. No minors allowed. This is a bar crawl, please don't bring your children.
  • Attendees are limited to registering for 2 tickets (Yourself +1)
  • If you harass people on the forums or the team Facebook pages, you will be removed from the crawl, and your ticket will go back into the pool.
  • Duplicate/multiple orders, orders containing more than 1 ticket type, and otherwise suspicious orders will be cancelled. If you have an issue with registration please contact me immediately

We're always accepting volunteer spots as noble helpers or Wardens (sober assists) - it requires herding your brethren from one bar to the next, and making sure we don't lose any of our bannermen along the way. This is a great option for those that don’t feel like waking up hungover on Friday, but still like the energy and social spirit of the crawl. We prefer our volunteers mostly sober. Sober-ish. Ok, not falling down. Please PM Swae or Etaoin if you're interested in assisting.

THE HOUSES

House Targaryen
dc25lv1hpfx6.gif

Lady Swae
Maester Etaoin
Warden Aldrea
Septon <TBD>

Schedule:
Bar 1 (7:15 - 8:00): Agave Bar
Bar 2 (8:00 - 9:00): The Davenport Lounge vs. The Wildlings
Bar 3 (9:00 - 10:00): Waxy O'Connors vs. The Night's Watch
Bar 4 (10:00 - 11:00): The Worm Tequila & Mezcal Bar vs. House Baratheon
Bar 5 (11:00 - 12:00): Agave Bar vs. House Stark
Bar 6 (12:00 - 1:00): Buckhorn Saloon vs. House Lannister
Bonus Bar (1:00 - close): The Davenport Lounge with all crawlers

Route Map: https://goo.gl/maps/B7qfL4gtyZx

Facebook Group:
https://facebook.com/groups/1579313982281104/

House Lannister
ztsvyjjshap0.gif

Lord Flashe
Maester Skooterpie
Warden <TBD>
Septon <TBD>

Schedule:
Bar 1 (7:15 - 8:00): The Davenport Lounge
Bar 2 (8:00 - 9:00): The Worm Tequila & Mezcal Bar vs. The Night's Watch
Bar 3 (9:00 - 10:00): The Buckhorn Saloon vs. House Stark
Bar 4 (10:00 - 11:00): Agave Bar vs. The Wildlings
Bar 5 (11:00 - 12:00): Waxy O'Connors vs. House Baratheon
Bar 6 (12:00 - 1:00): Buckhorn Saloon vs. House Targaryen

Route Map: https://goo.gl/maps/8GZ6ojNDjhG2

Facebook Group:
https://facebook.com/groups/388961264604587/

House Stark
ev5yrquruzjw.gif

Lord 'T'
Septa <TBD>
Maester zeromyst
Warden nuggetuconn

Schedule:
Bar 1 (7:15 - 8:00): The Worm Tequila & Mezcal Bar
Bar 2 (8:00 - 9:00): Agave Bar vs. House Baratheon
Bar 3 (9:00 - 10:00): The Buckhorn Saloon vs. House Lannister
Bar 4 (10:00 - 11:00): The Davenport Lounge vs. The Night's Watch
Bar 5 (11:00 - 12:00): Agave Bar vs. House Targaryen
Bar 6 (12:00 - 1:00): Swig Martini Bar vs. The Wildlings

Route Map: https://goo.gl/maps/AmLL4uQzVz52

Facebook Group:
https://facebook.com/groups/1565184373696493/

House Baratheon
zchirewli4ku.gif

Lord ClickPicTony
Maester Kyanilis
Septon <TBD>
Warden Contre

Schedule:
Bar 1 (7:15 - 8:00): The Buckhorn Saloon
Bar 2 (8:00 - 9:00): Agave Bar vs. House Stark
Bar 3 (9:00 - 10:00): Swig Martini Bar vs. The Wildlings
Bar 4 (10:00 - 11:00): The Worm Tequila Bar vs. House Targaryen
Bar 5 (11:00 - 12:00): Waxy O'Connors vs. House Lannister
Bar 6 (12:00 - 1:00): The Worm Tequila Bar vs. The Night's Watch

Route Map: https://goo.gl/maps/kk4p64z2iEq

Facebook Group:
https://facebook.com/groups/415499315269537

The Night's Watch
ug19uotxly0e.gif

Lord Commander Peetsnack
Maester zerzhul
Septon GhostDan
Warden <TBD>

Schedule:
Bar 1 (7:15 - 8:00): Swig Martini Bar
Bar 2 (8:00 - 9:00): The Worm Tequila Bar vs. House Lannister
Bar 3 (9:00 - 10:00): Waxy O'Connors vs. House Targaryen
Bar 4 (10:00 - 11:00): The Davenport Lounge vs. House Stark
Bar 5 (11:00 - 12:00): The Buckhorn Saloon vs. The Wildlings
Bar 6 (12:00 - 1:00): The Worm Tequila Bar vs. House Baratheon

Route Map: https://goo.gl/maps/4Jek2eHbXDq

Facebook Group:
https://facebook.com/groups/1589570317930641/

The Wildlings
38jdbk7oc3bc.gif

Lady Devirue
Maester Archarzel
Septon Seffykun
Warden AidenVehel

Schedule:
Bar 1 (7:15 - 8:00): Waxy O'Connors
Bar 2 (8:00 - 9:00): The Davenport Lounge vs. House Targaryen
Bar 3 (9:00 - 10:00): Swig Martini Bar vs. House Baratheon
Bar 4 (10:00 - 11:00): Agave Bar vs. House Lannister
Bar 5 (11:00 - 12:00): The Buckhorn Saloon vs. The Night's Watch
Bar 6 (12:00 - 1:00): Swig Martini Bar vs. House Stark

Route Map: https://goo.gl/maps/byrkTMmou7w

Facebook Group:
https://facebook.com/groups/392395164269657/

THE CHALLENGES
Bar 1: Swear Allegiance to your House - Forge a new alliance. See someone on your team that looks like a good ally? Share a drink and toast to your impending house victory.
Bar 2: The North Remembers - Each of you buy your favorite white shot or clear cocktail and get two extra glasses. Mix the two together in a blizzard of booze and each consume half. Hey, nobody said winter would be easy.
Bar 3: Garden of Bones - Buy a shot each of whiskey, vodka and tequila. Rock/Paper/Scissors to see who drinks each shot.
Bar 4: A Man Without Honor - Each member of the pair orders a beer or mixed drink. Engage in a game of 'I Never' until both drinks have been consumed. Save any dirt you learn about your opponent for future blackmail. Playing dirty in the game of thrones is expected.
Bar 5: Blackwater - Buy two shots of Jagermeister. You each tell your battle opponent 2 truths and 1 lie about yourself. If they guess the lie correctly, you take a shot. If they miss, they take a shot.
Bar 6: Valar Morghulis - Drink a glass of water. Seriously. Drink it. Then, finish off the night with a drink of your choosing. All men must die, but not this night.

Swae on

• Options
    xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    YASSSSSSS.

My body is ready.

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Options
    PrototypeAresPrototypeAres Registered User regular
    A shot of Ice & Fire: Book Two on my birthday where do I sign up xD

• Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    !!!!!

PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    JoeSauceJoeSauce KansasRegistered User regular
    Cannot wait! Last years was a blast!!

3HeJgC7.png
  • Options
    provideprovide Michigan, USRegistered User regular
    So ready!!

"Equity for the meek through perseverance and strength!"
  • Options
    TomsushiTomsushi Registered User regular
    I am determined to survive this one!!! I'm curious will there be more houses added/dropped for part 2 or will more slots be available? It seems a lot more people have gained interest in it since last years event.

• Options
    Tomsushi wrote: »
    I am determined to survive this one!!! I'm curious will there be more houses added/dropped for part 2 or will more slots be available? It seems a lot more people have gained interest in it since last years event.

At this time there are no plans to expand the crawl. Though we 'sold out' of all 300 spots last year, actual participation was less than 75%. The same 6 houses will be available, with 50 available slots per house. We will re-evaluate after 2016, but honestly I think the current size works well.

• Options
    RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    I am very interested...but I don't have a place to sleep on Thursday evening...

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Count me in. My liver is ready....

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    DiligentDragonDiligentDragon Registered User regular
    I'll make sure to sign up in time this year. Let me know if you need any assistance with with this, Swae.

• Options
    Zartan5000Zartan5000 Registered User new member
    Shot glass of whiskey slaying. check.

• Options
    freemantimfreemantim MIRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to the event!

Gamer dad.
    I write for VGBlogger.com
  • Options
    @Swae will there be any kind of heads up on when sign ups will be or will it just be a random day at 4am and poof sign ups are live?

• Options
    angelicstubbornessangelicstubborness Registered User regular
    I'm so in!

• Options
    EtaoinEtaoin South Barcrawl Lead, Omeganaut S16 TexasRegistered User regular
    @Swae will there be any kind of heads up on when sign ups will be or will it just be a random day at 4am and poof sign ups are live?

Last year we gave a heads up before registration went live and will most likely do the same this year.

7paDBmR.png
  • Options
    Gotta make sure I eat this year before I go....

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

• Options
    Etaoin wrote: »

Last year we gave a heads up before registration went live and will most likely do the same this year.

Right on! Now I can feel safe going to bed at night lol

• Options
    MightyMuttMightyMutt Registered User regular
    Missed out on last years, wont miss out this time around!

RbaRXdO.png
  • Options
    krovekkrovek Registered User regular
    wish i could come but im only 17 oh well

• Options
    Only_TrinityOnly_Trinity Registered User regular
    Will luckily be 21 right before I head there, so I am pretty excited to join in! Keep 'em cold for me

• Options
    Animal-_-Animal-_- Registered User regular
    krovek wrote: »

It's legal to drink in Texas as a minor as long as you're in view of a legal age parent, guardian, or spouse. Some establishments do choose to not serve minors as a business practice though.

uBoT4dK.jpg
  • Options
    Animal-_- wrote: »
    krovek wrote: »

It's legal to drink in Texas as a minor as long as you're in view of a legal age parent, guardian, or spouse. Some establishments do choose to not serve minors as a business practice though.

This is a 21+ only event, regardless.

• Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Booking my flight around this so I can make it....

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Cheaters Allowed ? I am unable to make the bar crawl this year because my flight lands at a inconvenient time. Can I make a donation to child's play for a complete set of buttons ? I really don't want to take up a spot if I cant be there until 10:30

• Options
    Im assuming it will start at 7/7:30? My flight gets in at 5:30 pm so I should be good

• Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    Cheaters Allowed ? I am unable to make the bar crawl this year because my flight lands at a inconvenient time. Can I make a donation to child's play for a complete set of buttons ? I really don't want to take up a spot if I cant be there until 10:30

If you already know that you are not going to be available for the event times, I would encourage you to not sign up for the event.
    kube00 wrote: »
    Im assuming it will start at 7/7:30? My flight gets in at 5:30 pm so I should be good

Going from the past start times over three crawls in the last five years, that would be a fairly safe assumption, although nothing is yet set in stone.

7B14287.png
  • Options
    StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    Has the sign up started?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    No

• Options
    Also for someone who doesn't drink a ton normally about how much will be drunk during this day someone who starts realy feeling it around 3-4 pints

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The challenges comprise of about one drink per bar, with 6-ish bars.

• Options
    Ah that sounds doable then thx :) looking forward to the sign ups

• Options
    AggressAggress Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    StinkyTurd wrote: »
    The hardest part is to not drink between the challenges as you make new friends =)

• Options
    Aggress wrote: »
    StinkyTurd wrote: »
    The hardest part is to not drink between the challenges as you make new friends =)

Agreed I'm normally not a HUGE bar type but I'm going alone this year and was hoping to meet some ppl and what better place then the bar crawl god bless UBER :)

• Options
    OP has been updated! Registration opens December 15.

We could use a few more volunteers on some of the houses - PM me if you are interested in helping out.

• Options
    House Lannister here I come!

• Options
    xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    Fire and Blood. My dragons and I have been training.

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Options
    EtaoinEtaoin South Barcrawl Lead, Omeganaut S16 TexasRegistered User regular
    OK all, registration opens at noon cst tomorrow. Please don't try to get tricky and order more than 2 tickets per person. I review every order & don't feel guilty when I cancel them. If you have a valid issue with your registration please email me using the link on the eventbrite page or pm me here.

7paDBmR.png
  • Options
    CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Im excited. This is the first time Ive had other friends who want to go to the crawl. Looking forward to getting to know some more PAXlings and getting to know San Antonio a little better. And hopefully being allowed to drink a lot of whiskey >.>

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • Options
    GeveesoGeveeso Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Got mine for the Wildlings again! Can't wait and hope Waxy O'Connor's shows up again, even if it was a tight fit...