As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WoD: The Darkening

2»

• Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I still think that WW should run a Traitor Recycling Studio esque group that updates oWoD.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I vaguely remember seeing a joke setup for a 'Pets: The Sheddening' game somewhere, and it might've even been on a WW site.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    terminal stupidityterminal stupidity Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Probably a joke ala Pimp: The Backhanding.

Of course, Pimp turned into a card game and was actually sold.

terminal stupidity on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The sixth game was revealed in the puzzle on the back of Changeling: The Lost. It said, after being deciphered: "The hunters are coming 2008."

So it seems likely that the sixth game will be Hunter.

I was hoping for a Wraith or Demon update, personally, but I suspect we'll see them eventually. I'm also unsure how they're going to make a Hunter game distinct from the regular mortals line, but we'll see.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The sixth game was revealed in the puzzle on the back of Changeling: The Lost. It said, after being deciphered: "The hunters are coming 2008."

So it seems likely that the sixth game will be Hunter.

I was hoping for a Wraith or Demon update, personally, but I suspect we'll see them eventually. I'm also unsure how they're going to make a Hunter game distinct from the regular mortals line, but we'll see.

Well, the Hunters were mortal, but they were never regular.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I came so close to buying the Changeling book tonight. Not even to play, just to read over and over again.

Shamus on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That and since they are working with the creators of EVE Online to make a WoD MMO, so I think their efforts are kind of slanted towards it.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »

Actually, you CAN play with just the nWoD books, but survival as a normal human isn't likely.

My favorite part is the title of the book. Mortal: The Dying

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Shamus wrote: »
    I came so close to buying the Changeling book tonight. Not even to play, just to read over and over again.

I have done so.

And Discworld GURPS.

...at full price. D:

...I sincerely believe that I shall never acquire the Orange Box.
    Wulf wrote: »
    That and since they are working with the creators of EVE Online to make a WoD MMO, so I think their efforts are kind of slanted towards it.

How...would that work?

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I honestly don't know, but apparently, and this is just what I've heard, its going to be that every 'area' is as big as the solar systems in EVE (which are big) and then you travel between the different areas of the city and do stuff. But like I said, this is all based off of small bits of information that I've heard from people, and may not even be how the final version works.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Did they announce which titles will make it in?

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Did they announce which titles will make it in?

Mage is for sure in. They just give you blocks of code to screw up.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »

Actually, you CAN play with just the nWoD books, but survival as a normal human isn't likely.

My favorite part is the title of the book. Mortal: The Dying

It's not quite that bad. Mortals can be pretty dangerous in the nWoD, particularly if they're prepared.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    WoD mixed games are a pretty bad idea, just puttin' that out there.

Only if your GM has a poor memory/poor understanding of the rules. The games are very compatible, the problem is having characters of opposing factions work together without killing one another, having them all be members of the Technocracy is a good way to subvert that.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Forbe! wrote: »
    WoD mixed games are a pretty bad idea, just puttin' that out there.

Only if your GM has a poor memory/poor understanding of the rules. The games are very compatible, the problem is having characters of opposing factions work together without killing one another, having them all be members of the Technocracy is a good way to subvert that.

lolwut? Technocracy is open to non-mages too?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Certainly. The Technocracy's beliefs can be used to explain all supernatural activity, not just magic.

To be a Technocrat is to hold unyielding belief in scientific principle, over mysticism and 'magic'.

The Technocracy is all about control. They will accept all into their ranks that will help them control the world.
    If that means convincing a Vampire that their blood thirst and vampiric traits are a result of an engineered virus or some sort of genetic aberration, or a Hunter that their Edges and foresight are caused by hypertech nano machines, so be it (though they are just joining to help destroy themselves, kind of counter-productive I suppose).

While the Technocracy came in the form of a Mage book, it can be open to all character types given they adhere to certain Technocratic principles. Atleast, this is the way I have always interpreted the Technocracy.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Anyone know of a WoD System Reference Document like the D&D one?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Certainly. The Technocracy's beliefs can be used to explain all supernatural activity, not just magic.

To be a Technocrat is to hold unyielding belief in scientific principle, over mysticism and 'magic'.

The Technocracy is all about control. They will accept all into their ranks that will help them control the world.
    If that means convincing a Vampire that their blood thirst and vampiric traits are a result of an engineered virus or some sort of genetic aberration, or a Hunter that their Edges and foresight are caused by hypertech nano machines, so be it (though they are just joining to help destroy themselves, kind of counter-productive I suppose).

While the Technocracy came in the form of a Mage book, it can be open to all character types given they adhere to certain Technocratic principles. Atleast, this is the way I have always interpreted the Technocracy.

? I'm pretty sure Technocrats are pretty much all mages. Not that there aren't possibly non-mages within their number, but they're pretty dedicated to, y'no, destroying Reality Deviants.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    ? I'm pretty sure Technocrats are pretty much all mages. Not that there aren't possibly non-mages within their number, but they're pretty dedicated to, y'no, destroying Reality Deviants.

Not true. Check out some of the books. I'm at school, and am unable to reference them correctly, but I believe only about 25% are able to use the enlightened sciences, or are mages.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Not true. Check out some of the books. I'm at school, and am unable to reference them correctly, but I believe only about 25% are able to use the enlightened sciences, or are mages.

Yeah, but what percent are werewolves/vampires/changelings/etc?

The part of the Technocracy that aren't magi are normal humans.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Yeah, but what percent are werewolves/vampires/changelings/etc?

The part of the Technocracy that aren't magi are normal humans.

That is never stipulated, because for the most part the Technocracy is out to destroy them. However given the simple principles of the Technocracy, I see no reason that they cannot exist within the Technocracy as mere pawns to further their cause.

But, of course, that is where your imagination and artistic license must come in. ;-)

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png