As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The SE++ International Orchestra [Instrument Thread]

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @sarukun stop by Lansing, MI and my older bro could give you trombone lessons

something something magic of the internet something something Taiwan?

Can't believe I forgot that I want to learn to play the banjo and the accordion.

I want to learn how to play a rocking accordion so bad.

I kind of want to get a Banjolele, if only because then I can make my Tiny Instrument Collection grow even further.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I can give advice on playing harmonica if anyone is ever interested. It's one of the only instruments I feel confident enough to say I'm an authority on.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Infidel wrote: »
    I did some recording for someone and had to setup my studio stuff again, and it really got me hankering to learning piano like I meant to a while back.

I have a 61-key keyboard and still not much idea where to start. I've seen programs and websites but I'm not sure which really is good? I use the keyboard for composing and have some music theory down alright, but I would like to learn some performance skills so that I could improvise more and help with the creative process. Not sure if that helps or changes anything? :)

Are you saying you want to learn more about playing instruments, or about musical theory so you're better at writing music, or both?

As far as improvisational skills, I'm pretty sure you just develop that naturally by getting good at an instrument.

If you have the money for it you can pay for lessons for various instruments, assuming there's a place reasonably nearby.

I like taking music classes at Fullerton College. Even though they're a community college, their music department is on par with a lot of 4-year colleges programs.

As for musical theory, there are college courses for those as well, but I'm not sure about paid lessons.

There seem to be some sites that offer help with that, but I've never tried one so I can't speak for how useful they are.

Building up playing skill so that I can improv over top of tracks as I'm writing them, like stereotypical composer at a keyboard. I use the keyboard but mostly when I know what I'm trying to do already and have had time to practice it. I did a couple songs where I just made it up as I recorded that actually turned out, but it took a bit of leading into it and are pretty simple melodies.

Like, I am not able to improv chords to fit what I'm going for because I don't have the playing experience, imo. If I just practiced I figure I would get the muscle memory and experience of what works without having to think it out theory wise so much, but I don't want to learn songs with my own untrained technique.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Banjos sound super good to me, I have a friend who owns one and I just wanna get good enough on guitar to jam with him.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So does anybody know how I can get a (paid) job playing the tambourine in a top-level orchestra? I want to get paid to travel the world.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Learn to play basically every alternative percussion instrument and occasionally you might be able to play the tambourine in an orchestra.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    So does anybody know how I can get a (paid) job playing the tambourine in a top-level orchestra? I want to get paid to travel the world.

Yeah, You're probably going to need a college degree in classical percussion from a university like Bard College, or New England Conservatory or Juilliard before the Union will even look at you. Then you wait for a percussion chair position to open up so you can audition.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I've been looking lately into getting a pocket trumpet.

I have something ridiculous like 20 years playing experience and played semi-professionally for a few years and then I pretty much just stopped playing. Then I moved across the world and couldn't justify bringing any of my horns. I have like $4,000 worth of trumpets plus a trombone and a couple bugles sitting around in my parents' house.

I played for the Queen of England once.

• Options
    I played trumpet a bit in Middle school

I should have stuck with it they are kinda neat.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Amazon sells a pocket Bb trumpet for $120 that apparently isn't half bad

41SZtY8WieL.jpg

Something I'd be able to tuck into a corner or a suitcase and pull out if the mood struck. Or if one of my friends wanted me to play at a wedding or something or record on some studio music.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I didn't even know pocket trumpets were a thing.

I don't really have any woodwind experience other than a year of mandatory recorder in 5th grade, but for a while I've kind of wanted a shakuhachi or an ocarina, because I really love the sound of them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I just like the idea of you whipping a trumpet out of your pocket and playing a fanfare any time you do something.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I have a pocket sax (Though it's more of a miniature clarinet) which is neat, but I don't like having to prepare a reed in order to be able to play an instrument correctly.

I'm too impulsive with my hobbies, I don't wanna deal with maintenance every time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Man. when I tried out for band in middle school they had me try to get a whole note out of the mouthpiece of a sax. (it was my first choice... Hey Clinton was president at the time. Sue me) but I could only get a super fuck off loud forth note out of it.

Then they had me try the brass mouth piece and I could do that so... Trumpet!

• Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    When the baby sleeps, I play the guitar. He likes to sleep to heavy stuff like anything from Metallicas Black album. When he's awake I don't get to play the guitar because he wants to play with me. He sits in front of me strumming the strings and smiling like a motherfucker

• Options
    I don't really know where else to put this, because we don't seem to have a general music thread, but I finally got around to listening to Sufjan's Carrie and Lowell and Jesus Christ it's sad. Especially The Only Thing.

It's, like, The Notebook sad.

• Options
    Playing with a metronome is hard.

So is changing chords on the beat.

• Options
    We don't do these things because they are easy.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Hey thread thanks for reminding me I signed up for college homecoming and I need to remember how to play the euphonium in two weeks.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    I played French horn for 11 years in middle school, high school, and college. Marching band in high school and college. Also played in a community band for 2 years once I started working. Haven't played in a couple years though. Thought about trying my hand at guitar, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    We don't do these things because they are easy.

True

I just have to actually sit and do it more often.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I wanna learn to play the shamisen so bad.

• Options
    So, for the charity concert, the band leader wants to cover this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQzgX1UWEPQ

Holy fuck, these drums will take me a while... that's not quite something I kept up on. :lol:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    So, for the charity concert, the band leader wants to cover this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQzgX1UWEPQ

Holy fuck, these drums will take me a while... that's not quite something I kept up on. :lol:

Omar Hakim! Woo, that's a heck of a tempo. Holler if you need any advice or help getting it down, we can google hangout over it or something.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @NeoToma how did it go?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    This has been helpful so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1CHjouLDxE

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Hello, instrument thread. I've been really depressed lately, so I bought myself a piano.
    HxpkhkPl.jpg

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Hello, instrument thread. I've been really depressed lately, so I bought myself a piano.
    HxpkhkPl.jpg

Awesomed for music therapy, not depression.

Fuck depression.

You should write a song called Fuck Depression.

...I should write a song called Fuck Depression.

• Options
  • Options
    I am loving the piano so far

https://youtu.be/TSdwKvXz6PY

• Options
    VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    So this is my current setup! Drum kit is not mine, and is in fact kind of terrible sounding, but I can't complain because I'm too cheap right now to get my own drum kit (also kinda still holding out for a vistalite one day).

AIlqDYd.png

And my pedalboard setup! C9 is ridiculous (and doesn't fit), going into volume --> Catalinbread RAH --> CBC Scrambler Clone --> Vox Wah --> Big Muff --> Strymon Deco (awesome pedal, btw) --> DD-20

s7dY9ac.png

• Options
    Man I miss my Big Muff

It's probably got some weak solder joint or something but sometimes when you kick it on it just mutes the guitar, which means I can't use it right now

Fortunately I also have an M13 and a Fuzz Factory

• Options
    I'd probably not use it but I love having it on after the wah (rocked full treble) for a really chunky tone that is a bit terrible too. It now works really well with the C9 now, too!

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Vegemyte wrote: »
    So this is my current setup! Drum kit is not mine, and is in fact kind of terrible sounding, but I can't complain because I'm too cheap right now to get my own drum kit (also kinda still holding out for a vistalite one day).

AIlqDYd.png

And my pedalboard setup! C9 is ridiculous (and doesn't fit), going into volume --> Catalinbread RAH --> CBC Scrambler Clone --> Vox Wah --> Big Muff --> Strymon Deco (awesome pedal, btw) --> DD-20

s7dY9ac.png

That drum set would sound great with a decent set of drumheads, properly tuned. PDP makes solid mid-range drums.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, the dude who's keeping it at my house (the drummer for the band we are hopelessly trying to start) hasn't changed the skins in forever/tuned the toms at all. They're about all the same pitch, and to stop the snare ringing I've got a weighty tome on greek mythology on it.

• Options
    Yeah, the dude who's keeping it at my house (the drummer for the band we are hopelessly trying to start) hasn't changed the skins in forever/tuned the toms at all. They're about all the same pitch, and to stop the snare ringing I've got a weighty tome on greek mythology on it.

Uuuuuughhhhhhh
    He probably talks about getting a better kit all the time, too.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options

A tom tome?

• Options
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Uuuuuughhhhhhh
    He probably talks about getting a better kit all the time, too.

Actually, he talks about reskinning it a lot, but he also has three other jobs and is a photographer who recently broke his expensive camera, so all his money is going into that.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I tuned my cello up on Saturday because my kids wanted to see my play and holy cow am I out of practice, it's shameful. I'm going to have to start playing regularly again just so I'm not lying when I say I'm a cello player.