As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    SCUM Z-95 swarm!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    guys I haven't played x-wing in sooooo long

what should I fly against @Sokpuppet this week?

Something that will beat him. May I suggest the Empire's Finest?

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am finally going to have my first X-Wing Miniatures mans soon. This is the most unbelievably excited I have *ever* been about playing a tabletop miniatures game since I stopped playing Warhammer back in 2010.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    D0rkAngel and I are getting on game on now in Vassal for those who wish to watch.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I can't watch but I can't wait to hear the highlights.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Kinky.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• D0rkAnglD0rkAngl Lynnwood, WARegistered User regular
    Get'n it on freaky space style.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    D0rkAngl wrote: »
    Get'n it on freaky space style.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    If you're not watching you are missing the most spectacular flying EVAH. Eh, @Grunt's Ghosts ?

edited October 2015
    So today, Lord Vader came by the Suicide Squadron's homebase to test out their skills. Especially the one called "Nimbles". "I sense a strong presence of the Force in that one. He might be useful to my plans against the Rebel and Scum."

The Suicide Squadron came with their classic fleet, with Lorrir calling the shots. Vader in turn brought Only His Best to test the SS fully. No mercy was to be shown.
    noy7pecfohck.jpg

After flying out to the Imperial Testing Grounds, Academy Pilot #2 decided to face Vader himself, to hopefully earn him an nickname of his own and get rid of the "Rookie" title. But with an asteroid in his way, Academy took a shot at the Saber Pilot instead. Lorrir and Fel decided that the worst threat wasn't Vader, it was Rhymer. The Bomber was packing heat and that could mean bad things for the Fighters who liked to stick close. Lorrir got a hit on Rhymer's shield while dodging returning fire. Fel missed all together, the first of many mistakes he would make this evening.
    igjmmizbsbfg.jpg

Academy Pilot make a sharp turn and ended up needing to dodge an asteroid, but Darth Vader seemed to have wanted to cut close to the asteroid for cover too, which placed both in a precarious situation, Saber, after taking a hit, boosted out and around to catch everyone off guard. DC and Nimbles dove in to try to save Academy Pilot, both cussing up a storm at him while doing it. Vader took a shot to the shields but otherwise it was all misses on that side. Fel and Lorrir however, got a big surprised when the Bomber blasted forward, zooming right pass Lorrir, who didn't get to do his full turn for dodging the massive bulky ship, and caused Fel to need to hit full stop to avoid smashing into the Bomber. Rhymer took this time to take a quick shot at Lorrir, but the attack when wide.
    hcnqwfbrkpry.jpg

Saber tried to go help Rhymer, but Dark Curse barrel rolled behind him and landed the luckest of hits, blasting the Interceptor from the skies.
    mwf8yyviokqg.jpg

Fel and Lorrir backed off Rhymer to gain a better angle of attack while Rhymer accidentally hit the boost and rubbed the bottom of his ship across an asteroid. The Fighters got their shit together and got Vader in a nice Kill Zone, landing a few shots but not enough to end the Dark Lord (OOC: This is when DC got Triple Crits and Vader rolled 3 Evades...)
    z54rfy8fjjg9.jpg

Vader opened fire on DC, leaving the poor Fighter on it last legs. However, Vader suffered an Console Fire, leaving his options limited next round. DC decide to run from Vader, the Force clearly liking him more. Rhymer tried to shot Academy Pilot, but the shot got blocked by an asteroid...
    g46fo8e0p81p.jpg

Nimbles dodged fire from Rhymer (Another Lots of Crits met with equal amounts of Evades), proving once again that he earned his nickname. DC and Vader traded shots, but neither could hit each other.
    sfysw079k8gy.jpg

The final round ended quietly, no one getting any real hits (we had a bit of confusion on how missiles worked and I had to go to the bathroom then kids woke up...) and all pilots but Saber returning home in their ships. Later in his chambers, Vader recounted the tale to the Emperor. "You have done well, Lord Vader. I believe we can find some use for this Suicide Squadron for the mission. Continue watching their progress. When we are ready, we'll call for them."

All and all, great flying by @D0rkAngl which being his first game, he did some expert flying at times. I was rusty, so I made a few mistakes but really the dice slowed this game down as we couldn't get good hits. 1 damage here, 1 hull there. I expect him to be up there as a threat in a few games or so.

The game came down to points with me getting the win.

Edit: And for the record, Nimbles took no damage.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    @Sokpuppet and I just got our game in.

It was a great game with some great flying.

I flew:
    "Throwback"
    Jake Farrell (24)
    Push the Limit (3)
    Chardaan Refit (-2)
    Outmaneuver (3)
    A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Keyan Farlander (29)
    Push the Limit (3)
    Fire-Control System (2)
    Ion Cannon (3)

Etahn A'baht (32)
    Veteran Instincts (1)
    Fire-Control System (2)

Total: 100

Against Sok's:
    "Deathrain" (26)
    Advanced Sensors (3)
    Extra Munitions (2)
    Concussion Missiles (4)
    Ion Pulse Missiles (3)
    Ion Bombs (2)
    Ion Bombs (2)

Captain Jonus (22)
    Extra Munitions (2)
    Concussion Missiles (4)
    Proton Rockets (3)

Gamma Squadron Pilot (18)
    Extra Munitions (2)
    Concussion Missiles (4)
    Proton Rockets (3)

Total: 100

The PS bid of 7 was incredibly efficient and really paid off in this fight. I was able to react to every maneuver he made.

I was afraid of his squad in the beginning, since he was rocking a solid 21 combined HP, while I only had 17, and Jake Farrell relies on hit-and-run tactics and arc-dodging. If he'd gotten caught out, he'd fold like wet paper. But I played the opening few turns very cautiously, the both of us posturing for a firing solution.

Eventually, the bombers slipped up and Captain Jonus was stranded after colliding with the Gamma pilot. Jonus blew up shortly after. Eventually, the Gamma Squadron pilot got stuck with a stress, and Keyan was able to ion the bomber before it could clear. Soon enough, the Gamma pilot found itself flying out of the combat area.

With just "Deathrain" left, Sok commanded the TIE Punisher very well, getting some solid hits on Keyan with missiles and ion bombs. Eventually, though, Etahn and Jake were able to outmaneuver the behemoth and dial in some good shots to win the day.

Etahn's pilot ability was able to get a bunch of crits on the board, which was a huge help, especially taking out Jonus and "Deathrain". I think DR ended with 3-4 crits out of 5 possible cards (one was a Direct Hit).

All in all, it was a fun game with Sokpuppet!

For my first game ever, it was awesomely good fun, and now I feel more certain that I haven't been wasting all of this money. :)

On the downside, I totally forgot to ever use Vader's pilot ability (During your perform action step, you may perform 2 actions). This would have been REALLY HELPFUL multiple times.

C'est la vie.

Also, I think Nimbles must be force sensitive.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    So I rewatched the Eminence and Shades of Reason episodes of Clone Wars last night. I'd never noticed that the Black Sun uses Gozanti cruisers. Makes me want Scum captains for it when it comes out.

edited October 2015
    I think I'm developing a problem.

http://1drv.ms/1QC7iTh

(Also, I should probably dust.)

D0rkAngl on
    One of Us!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I think I'm developing a problem.

http://1drv.ms/1QC7iTh

(Also, I should probably dust.)

You say "problem," I say "a good start!"

Also, good call on the ImpAces pack. The Rebel Aces pack is another great one.

Where do I find the server info? Trying to set up Vassal and all of that tomfoolery.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    There is no server. Oncs you download Vassal, go to modules on their website and find Star Wars X-Wing and download the 5.6.0 module then open it up. Once it loads, look for game online and you'll find yourself in the main room. Start a new game using the text box above the list of rooms and wait for your opponent to join you.

I was a something, and didn't build all of my maneuver dials immediately. I appear to have lost two of the little plastic centers. Can these things be bought on their own? Can't find a search term that works...

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I was a something, and didn't build all of my maneuver dials immediately. I appear to have lost two of the little plastic centers. Can these things be bought on their own? Can't find a search term that works...

Write FFG customer support. They'll sort you out.

edited October 2015
    In case my last post was too... rushed (I was getting ready to go to work), I made a visual tutorial for folks! (Psss... Should be in the OP. :winky:)

After downloading VASSAL and the X-Wing Module, open your VASSAL program and click on the newest X-Wing game (or open the X-wing file and it will do it for you)

ey5hwjp2hjwh.jpg

Afterwards, click "Look for a Game Online"

kj4gwbkzz1qv.jpg

Once there, you can either start playing against people in their own rooms (normally people with ! next to their names, but it's polite to ask before challenging) or start a new game by typing the name of your game (I normally do PA League P1vP2) in the box above the room names.

e4yy18owcdf5.jpg

Once, there, go to file, start a new game, pick to be player 1 or 2 (or 3 or 4) and then the map you want to play on and go. I normally pick the 3x3 maps as they are big enough for 100 point games but if you are against someone using larger ships or have multiple players, bigger maps are available.

Grunt's Ghosts on
    Hey guys, @Elvenshae are having our game tonight after 8pm Eastern if anyone wants to watch.

<Wrong Thread>Why am I looking at Armada minis now?</Wrong Thread>

webguy20 wrote: »
    Hey guys, @Elvenshae are having our game tonight after 8pm Eastern if anyone wants to watch.

I'll be watching if/when you guys are playing, and probably on Vent/TS as well.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    What's the room name gonna be?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited October 2015
    I'm getting ready to set it up now. @Elvenshae had agreed to play between now and the next half hour. Room name will be Webguy20 V. Elvenshae or something similar. Wish you could password games.

Remember, if any of you are watching to keep your chat private from ours!

webguy20 on
    @Elvenshae takes the win, Showing far superior flying ability than myself. Good Game!

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Also, should I get both of the core sets? The old one and the new one? Will I miss tons of great stuff if I don't buy the old core set?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    I would get both, youll end up with 4 ties, 2 xwings, plenty of dice and other bits, and the old core is on sale a lot. Pick up after market xwing and ties and youll have all the cards between that are currently out.

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The only thing you will miss is Luke, Biggs, and r2d2 on the rebel side, and mauler mithral, night beast, and dark curse on the imp side. So if any of those are essential to you that's the only place you can get those. If nothing from that list really strikes you as must haves than there is a lot of dead weight in the old core now.
    http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Core_Set

DO3O00C.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    R2D2 and R2F2 are both good astromechs that only come in the core set.

Previous Rounds:
    1st Round: Oct 5-Oct11
    crimsoncoyote - BYE
    @Fuselage - W vs. @DaMoonRulz - L
    @webguy20 - W vs. @Sokpuppet - L
    @Grunt's Ghosts - W vs. @D0rkAngl - L
    @Chrysis - L vs. @Elvenshae - W

2nd Round: Oct 12-Oct 18
    Sokpuppet - L vs. crimsoncoyote - W
    D0rkAngl - ??? vs. DaMoonRulz - ???
    Elvenshae - W vs. webguy20 - L
    Chrysis - ??? vs. Grunt's Ghosts - ???

Week 3 Begins NOW!
    3rd Round: Oct 19-Oct 25
    crimsoncoyote vs. D0rkAngl
    Sokpuppet vs. Elvenshae
    DaMoonRulz vs. Chrysis
    webguy20 vs. Grunt's Ghosts

Upcoming:
    4th Round: Oct 26-Nov 1
    Elvenshae vs. crimsoncoyote
    Chrysis vs. D0rkAngl
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. Sokpuppet
    webguy20 vs. DaMoonRulz

5th Round: Nov 2-Nov 8
    crimsoncoyote vs. Chrysis
    Elvenshae vs. Grunt's Ghosts
    D0rkAngl vs. webguy20
    Sokpuppet vs. DaMoonRulz

6th Round: Nov 9-Nov 15
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. crimsoncoyote
    webguy20 vs. Chrysis
    DaMoonRulz vs. Elvenshae
    Sokpuppet vs. D0rkAngl

7th Round: Nov 16-Nov 22
    crimsoncoyote vs. webguy20
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. DaMoonRulz
    Chrysis vs. Sokpuppet
    Elvenshae vs. D0rkAngl

(Let me know if I missed anything)

Just realized I have a few tough fights ahead.

I'm against @Elvenshae next week. D:

I'm against @Elvenshae next week. D:

You might as well just autoconcede. :D

Never give up; never surrender!

I beat everyone but Sokpuppet last season but so much has come out since then and I haven't upgraded by list since like midway Season 1. Sooner than later, I'm going to get out gunned and even Nimbles won't be able to dodge it. Is that Interceptor Prototype out yet?

edited October 2015
    I beat everyone but Sokpuppet last season
    Round 7: 25 May - 31 May

Grunt's Ghosts v. Elvenshae (W)
    Comradebot v. Sokpuppet
    [Expletive deleted] and crimsoncoyote - BYE

;)

EDIT: And, no, the Inquisitor's ship isn't out yet. :(

Elvenshae on
    ... I haven't beat Elvenshae since Round 1 of Season 1...
    Looks like next week determines the tiebreak ;-)

... I haven't beat Elvenshae since Round 1 of Season 1...

You say that like we're not 1-1. :D