As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PHALLA] Oregon Trail: Game Over, Man!

• Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, there isn't a huge case against anyone right now. I don't know how roman is still in the game if he's not been active... maybe there's just noone left in the reserves. That really hurts, because we're down an extra vote that could decide the outcome in a pinch.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So that you know I'm sincere, I'll back you up.
    !retract Medopine
    !vote Romanlevin

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    ReatheranReatheran Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Raakam wrote: »
    I don't know how roman is still in the game if he's not been active... maybe there's just noone left in the reserves.

According to the first post, the only reserve left is Niceguy Myeye, who's already in the game. It looks like romanlevin may just have left.

!Medopine
    !romanlevin

Reatheran on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    So the vote is tied right now. Someone needs to break it. Hurry!

Medopine 3
    romanlevin 3
    Variable 1
    Zzulu 1
    Niceguy 1

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fuck, I'm watching baseball. Retract VariableVote Roman

Raakam on
    My padherder
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    How in the hell did that happen? Ugh, who tied this shit up?

Raakam on
    My padherder
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I should have done that count sooner. I've just been sitting here waiting to see who else would take action. Ugh.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Reatheran, tying votes is bad. We've said that from day 1. Bandwagon said that there is nothing RNGed in this game, now we don't have a clue who is going to die, or if they both die. Is my vote too late or will it still count? it's like barely after 11.

Raakam on
    My padherder
  • Options
    BandwagonBandwagon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Month 8

The Map
    mapday8.jpg

day8open.jpg
    The city is named for the thousands of natural springs of carbonated water that are located in and around the city. The springs were well-known to Native Americans. Today the city is also known as the location of the Soda Springs Geyser, a man-made carbon dioxide generated cold water geyser.

As the settlers paused at the Soda Springs to enjoy the fresh, new taste of Coke Light, now with more cocaine, they were hardly shaken when both Romantic Undead and FunkyWaltDogg were shot to death by bandits. After all, they had survived disaster after disaster to make it this far, hadn't they? Somebody forgot to tell Medopine and romanlevin that the caravan was leaving, but no biggie. In fact, things were looking up. But things weren't looking up for some:

...the people who were dead. No disaster befell the settlers this month. Unless you consider a strong wind and some chirping birds a disaster! Though the settlers might have been happier if they didn't still have three bandits trailing them. Certainly they would stop harassing the settlers soon, right? Right???

thedead.jpg

Medopine was left behind.
    romanlevin was left behind.
    Romantic Undead was shot and killed by Bandits.
    FunkyWaltDogg was shot and killed by Bandits.

thedead2.jpg

On the start of the ninth month of the journey, the caravan leaders have posed the following questions regarding a fork in the road, just after the springs.

1. Straight, sunny route
    2. Dark route through the forest
    3. Take a shortcut through the Canyon, which may contain hostile Indians.

The bandits have also left a notice in the middle of the camp:

4. Choosing is hard, why not sit still for a while? Let us kill an extra 2 players, and we will tell you the names of every bandit left.

Please choose which option you wish to follow in yellow. Each option has both positive and negative effects to the caravan, so weigh the choices wisely. Also, don't forget to vote on who we should leave behind in red. retract in lime.

Bandwagon on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    ooOOooooh

God dammit. Good luck...

OOOOOooohh

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, this is not looking good. I'm not sure why you tied the vote, we lost an extra person tonight because of it. You've pretty much given the game away now. I doubt that was unintentional. Raetheran to go hang out with his butt-buddies, the bandits.

Raakam on
    My padherder
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Clearly !vote 3.

We get an extra kill and if the shortcut saves so much as one station, that's two fewer shot by bandits. If the Disaster kill is random, it's an even better deal!

Also, we can clearly not go for the bandit option, as we would be outvoted by them afterwards.

enc0re on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    how many of us are there left?

and I agree with Raakam, I think this is pretty straitforward for today.

!vote Raetheran

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    !vote Raetheran it is then

3 bandits? D:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Good game all.

Dying in 2 phallas at the same time is fun?

OoooOOoOOooooOOOooo

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Obligatory Subject Line - How Nature Points Out the Folly of Ma-an, OOOOoooooOOOO, GODZILLA!

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    !vote Raetheran for now.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    enc0re wrote: »
    Clearly !vote 3.

We get an extra kill and if the shortcut saves so much as one station, that's two fewer shot by bandits. If the Disaster kill is random, it's an even better deal!

Also, we can clearly not go for the bandit option, as we would be outvoted by them afterwards.

I think option 1 is just the safest. We can take a risk and do 3, but at this point, an extra kill (see Medopine + Roman) might hurt us more than anything. I don't know, saving a stop is really tempting... maybe I need to give it more thought.

Raakam on
    My padherder
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I think option 1 is just the safest. We can take a risk and do 3, but at this point, an extra kill (see Medopine + Roman) might hurt us more than anything. I don't know, saving a stop is really tempting... maybe I need to give it more thought.

I understand where you are coming from, but consider:

8 Survivors
    -3 Bandits
    =5 Villagers

Since the bandits get 2 kills, if we abandon the wrong person, we have lost anyway (remaining: 2 Villagers, 3 Bandits). So, better to take an extra kill to improve our chances and save a stop in the process.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I guess you're right. Retract 1Let's go option 3!

Raakam on
    My padherder
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    enc0re wrote: »

I understand where you are coming from, but consider:

8 Survivors
    -3 Bandits
    =5 Villagers

Since the bandits get 2 kills, if we abandon the wrong person, we have lost anyway (remaining: 2 Villagers, 3 Bandits). So, better to take an extra kill to improve our chances and save a stop in the process.

Still, it's a gamble. Remember that even if you factor in that the Native American kill would come after the bandit kill is assessed, you're still gambling with a 50/50 chance that they'll even hit a bandit. If the random kill comes before the bandits, the odds are even worse. At this late phase, playing with fire is too likely to get us burnt to a nice, tender crisp. So I'm going to go with !option 1.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That bandwagon seems set, I'll Vote Zzulu

Vote option 3

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Major forum lag. Checking from a friend's house. Will check back in a few minutes to see if narration is up.

Raakam on
    My padherder
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Month 9

The Map
    mapday9.jpg

day9open.jpg
    Fort Hall in the United States was a 19th century outpost in the eastern Oregon Country. It was constructed as a commercial venture along the Snake River north of present-day Pocatello, Idaho. The fort later became an important stop in the 1840s and 1850s for an estimated 270,000 emigrants along the Oregon Trail and California Trail, which diverged west of the fort.

As the settlers paused at Fort Hall to decide which route to take, they all took a moment to reflect on the hardships that had befell them. The threat of bandit attacks seemed to be nothing when compared to the diseases, lightning bolts, and snakebites they had encountered. The moment passed, and they prepared to enter the dangerous canyon outside the fort. They left Reatheran behind, listening to the wise words a few settlers were saying.

A few minutes after leaving the fort, they were overtaken a few settlers who were heading in the same direction. They were wearing large hats, so their faces were masked in shadow, making it so easy to finish what they had started. First, cheez, who had survived his cliff drop with a little help from his bandit friends, caught Grundlterror by surprise, slicing open his skull with several well aimed bullets. Next, giltanis, who had overcome his grief about his bandit friend PRËTËNTIÖüS' untimely death, smacked enc0re in the face with his gun, sending nose and pieces of brain all over the path.

And then it was just the two remaining settlers: Variable and Niceguy Myeye. Variable was easy. After the bandits had finished stripping his corpse of everything valuable, they turned to Niceguy Myeye. Niceguy's corpse had dollars of bullets in it by the time they finished with him. Though Zzulu tripped on a rock and died on their way back to Fort Hall, the remaining bandits were jubilant. Raakam, AngelHedgie, cheez, and giltanis couldn't wait to pawn off what they could, because this group of settlers had been an excellent harvest.

But in a realm transcending reality and reason, precisionk watched them all and waited for another opening through which to strike, the bones of millions slowly turning to dust at His feet. These men would die, but He would always be there:
    History shows again and again
    How nature points out the folly of man.

thedead.jpg

Reatheran was left behind.
    Grundlterror was shot and killed by Bandits.
    enc0re was shot and killed by Bandits.
    Variable was killed in the endgame.
    NiceguyMyeye was killed in the endgame.
    Zzulu was killed for posting in the Dead Thread.

thedead2.jpg

Bandwagon on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Passenger Log

The Victors
    • cheez - Bandit
    • giltanis - Bandit
    • Zzulu - Bandit, Survived!
    • Raakam - Bandit
    • Angelhedgie - Bandit, Survived!
    • Lord Cecil Eaglelaser - Bandit
    • PRËTËNTIÖüS - Bandit
    • visiblehowl - Bandit

The Nonvictors
    • enc0re - Survivor
    • Lord_Aetos - Older Brother
    • Grundlterror - Younger Brother
    • DevoutlyApathetic - Tracker (frontiersman)
    • Green - Befriender (Child)
    • Saburbia - Befriender (Child)
    • Zot - Vigilante (Hunter)
    • gundam470 - Paranoid Doctor
    • PsychoLarry1 - Paranoid Nurse
    • chamberlain - Scientist (Disaster Seer)
    • Fluffy, Our Beloved Somethin Somethin Never Showed Up - Ammunition Nut
    • FirstComradeStalin - Gun Collector
    • Rend - Powder Monkey
    • Medopine - None (Wagonsmith)
    • romanlevin - None (Dog)
    • FunkyWaltDogg - None (Preacher)
    • Squashua - None (Ox Herder)
    • Variable - None (Chef)
    • Reatheran - None (Miller)
    • Aldo - None (Accountant)
    • iamtheaznman - None (Tavern Wench)
    • Romantic Undead - None (Master Farmer)
    • Infidel - None (Baron Munchausen)
    • B:L - None (Prospector)
    • Niceguy Myeye - None
    • IreneDAdler - None
    • Frosteey - None
    • cj iwakura - None
    • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud - None
    • TehSpectre - None
    • LaOs - None

precisionk
    • precisionk- Disaster! Incarnate

Passenger Diaries
    A Settler - Niceguy Myeye, IreneDAdler, Frosteey, cj iwakura, Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud, TehSpectre, LaOs

rolesmaybe.jpg

You're a settler. Watch out for rattlesnakes!

You will win the game if the caravan reaches Oregon.

A Chef - Variable

At some point in the game, you may be asked by the narrator to specify a type of food. This will then appear in the narration.

The Herder - Squashua

If the oxen get spooked, and you are still alive, they will be calmed and movement will continue as normal the next month.

A dog - romanlevin

If the cat is alive when you reach Oregon, you do not win. Otherwise, you will win the game if the caravan reaches Oregon.

A Preacher - FunkyWaltDogg

At some point, God may have an important purpose for you. For now, just try to guide your flock to safety.

The Wagonsmith - Medopine

If a wheel comes off a wagon, or an axle splits in twain, you'll be ready to repair it. Just try not to die before that happens.

An Ammunition Nut - Fluffy, Our Beloved Never Showed Up

You are a strange one. Ever since you arrived in the world, you have loved bullets. You have a collection of them. A huge collection of them. So if a certain somebody runs out of bullets, you will be waiting to resupply them.

A Gun Collector - FirstComradeStalin

You have collected all these guns, but you forgot to bring ammunition and gunpowder with you! If you PM me the names of the people with these things, while they are still alive, you gain the ability to kill somebody every month. But you realize there is already a lot of killing, so you will not be killing anybody until a certain someone else is dead. (You will be notified if this happens.)
    A Powder Monkey - Rend

You love gunpowder so much. Your stash almost fills your wagon, and you leave a trail of gunpowder behind that will most assuredly result in an epic disaster.

An Accountant - Aldo

If you don't post a vote count at least once a day, the numbers in the voting might get fudged.

The Tavern Wench - iamtheaznman

If you want to, you can seduce one person per month. Most people will simply ignore you, being already married. If you happen to seduce a rich bachelor, you could gain additional powers. But don't count on finding a rich bachelor on the trail. Also, you don't have to let us know who you are seducing, because your power doesn't really do anything. But it's an excuse to call yourself a whore.

A Master Farmer - Romantic Undead

When the caravan reaches Oregon, your expertise will be extremely valuable for food.

The Prospector - B:L
    Every night, you will survey the surrounding land for traces of gold. If you find some, you will become a rich bachelor.

Strike the earth!
    Baron Munchausen - Infidel

You are the Caravan's Pathological Liar. You are a simple man, with no particular talent - you have abilities.

But you could do all sorts of amazing deeds, if only the cards you had been dealt were slightly different. If only... if only you were someone else, someone like Spartacus, then you could do anything!

You may, at any point, claim to be Spartacus and any combination of the following roles, or any others you can think of: seer, guardian, inventor, and miller. If you do, you gain those abilities from that point forth.
    • If you claim seer, you may investigate one person, other than yourself, each month, and you will receive either an innocent or a guilty result.
    • If you claim guardian, you may protect one person each monthother than yourself, and this will prevent that player from being killed from anything other than the vote.
    • If you claim inventor, you may invent one device each month and give it to a player of your choosing other than yourself. You can stipulate what the device is and what it does. However if I deem the device to be too powerful I will modify it so as to be a reasonable power level.
    • If you claim miller, you appear to be a bandit.

You will only gain the abilities you claim in the post where you first claim Spartacus. If you claim multiple abilities, you may use each of them every month. If you claim further abilities in a later post, this does nothing.

HOWEVER - if you suggest or confirm that the process of claiming Spartacus grants abilities, regardless of whether you have claimed Spartacus or not, you will be killed at the end of that month. If you later claim anything other than Spartacus, or suggest or confirm that you are not actually Spartacus, then you will be killed at the end of the month. If you are not sure what you can or cannot say, then ask me via PM.

If you can't think of anything, there is always this classic.

If the other Vampire factions are defeated, and the caravan reaches Oregon, you win.
    A Miller - Reatheran
    You are a settler. But, as a miller, you have always been viewed as an outsider. If investigated, you will appear to be an untrustworthy person, which in these parts means you look like a bandit.

A Frontiersman - DevoutlyApathetic
    Every compass points you in the right direciton and every map takes you Oregon. You are adept in both survival and the ways of the open plains. You were hired to help this caravan make it safely to their destination, but as the voyage went underway, they have found other uses for you.

Every month, at the request of the caravan leaders, you may select one person in the caravan and track their movements. If someone dies by their hands, you will know. If they protect someone from death, you will know. If they lay with another man's wife, you will know (but don't tell anyone!).

...but a child. - Green, Saburbia
    Looking at you, nobody can help but feel bad for you. You have the puppy dog eyes, the sad mouth, the hint of a tear in your eye that makes people trust you. Every month, you may tell your sad story to any one person. That person will be informed by the narrator that you are 100% confirmed innocent. Unfortunately, other people aren't so trusting, and they might not tell you anything in return; it is their choice.

A Hunter - Zot (replaced durax and MrBallBaggins and the other forty people who had the role before him)
    Hey you! Yeah you. The guy on the "Player list" picture with the gun. That's you. Like the other men in this caravan, you brought a gun with you. Unlike the other men, however, you brought six other guns too, and probably 400 pounds of ammo. Protect? Defend? Or just plain kill. That decision is an easy one. You may target one other traveler each month to kill, and barring anything getting in your way, you will do just that. Ammunition costs around 15 cents per bullet, which is a lot of money, and that is why you're only going to fire one bullet per month.

The Paranoid Doctor - gundam470
    Unfortunately, because you don't have much medicine, being a doctor involves wrapping the sick up in blankets and hoping they don't die. The month you protect someone, they will be unable to do anything beyond voting, but they will be protected from harm, excepting the vote. You cannot target yourself. You seem to recall there being another doctor on the caravan, but you could have been mistaken.

A Nurse - PsychoLarry1
    You never really received formal training, but you think you could protect people from harm if you had to. Unfortunately, someone more experienced is using the medical supplies. If he ever dies, you will be able to protect people. If this happens, you will receive more information.

Disaster! Incarnate - It was precisionk writing those narrations, guys. It would be difficult for us to think of such satisfyingly depraved deaths. This is also the best role PM.
    History shows again and again
    How nature points out the folly of man.

You are the hurricane which terrorizes man. You are the spectre of death in the valley. You are the silent killer.

You are the Disaster!, and you have joined in with this sorry group of mortals to sow death and destruction in your name. For centuries, people will speak in awe of your doings here, and of the hardships you create. You have been cursed with a unique set of tools to accomplish your goal of complete and utter destruction of the group.

First, you possess the ability to kill one person every month in any one way you choose, though it must be classified as a disaster. A knife in the back is not a disaster; someone sleeping on a den of scorpions is a disaster. Be creative.

Second, as you are not truly of this world, the group cannot get rid of you very easily. You must die twice to be truly gone from the game. Note that this can happen in one month.

Third, you are sharing your wagon with "your family" and enc0re, who thinks you are doing him a favor out of the goodness of your "heart." He "knows" you are just another settler.

Good luck avoiding those who know of your existence. The others will need it more than you.

You will win the game if the caravan and all other malevolent forces are destroyed.
    Just a Survivor - enc0re
    To be frank, you never really wanted to travel the trail. Hell, you don't even know where Oregon is. Whether you are doing this journey on a whim, a bet, or just for fun; you have one goal: Get to Oregon. It doesn't matter if you get there on the back of a mule with the rest of the caravan dead and only bandits to talk to, you must make it to Oregon.

Fortunately, you are not going at this alone. Before setting off, precisionk and his family agreed to share their wagon with you. This relationship is beneficial, mostly to you, but as s/he is actually looking to settle and start a new life in Oregon, s/he does not share the same win condition as you. S/He does not know that you are anything more than another villager, so revealing your win conditions is of your own discretion.

You will win the game if you, as your name implies, survive.
    A Scientist Ahead of His Time - chamberlain got some Science done.
    You are a Scientist. You graduated from Brown University with honors in Science, and you wish to put your knowledge of Science to use on the frontier. First, however, you have to get there. Your Science tools tell you that some sort of natural aura of death surrounds one of the members of this party. However, calibrating the Science tools takes a long time. Once per month, you may use your Science on any one person. You will be informed if they are this strange force or not. If you find this mysterious person, you will be informed of the powers of the person you have just discovered and you will be given a new role PM.

Two brothers - Grundlterror and Lord_Aetos

As you have known each other very well since you were little boys, you have no doubts about each other, and would trust the other with your life. Lord_Aetos is the elder brother, and Grundlterror is the younger brother.

The Bandits! - Lord Cecil Eaglelaser, Zzulu, giltanis, PRËTËNTIÖüS, Raakam, visiblehowl, Gim -> cheez, AngelHedgie

The bandits are Lord Cecil Eaglelaser, Zzulu, giltanis, PRËTËNTIÖüS, Raakam, visiblehowl, cheez, and AngelHedgie. AngelHedgie is a very likable guy, so he appears as good if investigated.

Every month, your group may choose to send in the name of two people to kill.

On even months (2, 4, 6, etc), your group may choose to send in a compromise option to the decision vote for the next month. This can have any conditions you wish, though keep in mind that, unlike the other options, the village will know what your conditions are. Format the option this way: "Option name: result 1, result 2... result n." For example, "Let the Bandits Catch Up: We will all be friends, Bandits get fifty kills, all the specials die, thorgot becomes invincible." The vote themes are, in this order: rationing, pacing, a fort, a river, a fork in the road, another fort.

You will win the game if the bandits destroy the caravan and all other malevolent forces.

cheez is also...
    A cat
    If the dog is alive after you reach Oregon, you do not win. But since your buddies will kill everybody left alive when you arrive, this isn't something you have to worry about.

Bandwagon on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Game over man, game over!

Bandwagon on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I think it's time to ban Fluffy from Phalla games like we've banned Doug Grammar.

Is that dickish of me to say?

Squashua on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't think it's necessary to ban anyone. Their reputation'll speak for themselves if they enter, and it'll just hurt their ability to participate when/if networks and such get formed.

Also, if the GM has an inactivity clause, then they're screwed anyway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey look, I resurrected!

cheez on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Raakam got lucky the village was a bunch of idiots.

I wasn't fooled. I tried to kill him.

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    How'd that work out for ya?

cheez on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Badly :(

Stupid Psycholarry

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    In his defense, there was a snake in his boot.

cheez on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I tried to get both Raakam out and Zzulu out, but all I had was a vote :(

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Finally, game over!

http://evilraak.proboards75.com/index.cgi are the evil boards, opened up. :D

Raakam on
    My padherder
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    killed in the end game? hey that's better than winning!

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    enc0re was so close to winning. He was the only reason the game didn't end yesterday.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Woah, glad that Zzulu posting in the dead thread didn't cost us the game. Heh, I'd have been a bit pissed.

Raakam on
    My padherder
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    *sigh*

I knew this game was cursed the instant I opened my role PM.

DA a good special? Clearly some kind of unnatural warping of reality has occurred and all nearby are doomed to be twisted into a fearsome mockery of their former selves.

Still, I liked the flavor of this game it's just a shame as soon as I started paying attention some jerk-faces had to kill me. (Oh, and PK killed me too but he gave me opium and Chinaman hookers. I can't grudge that.)

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish