As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

yo, what's your favourite [movie] (thread)

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Ratchet and Clank looks very cute.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Going back a few topics, but Amazon has a bunch of Gamera films for under $10 right now.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Going back a few topics, but Amazon has a bunch of Gamera films for under $10 right now.

Also http://www.amazon.com/Gamera-HD-Bundle-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00NPYKTP4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1444933567&sr=8-4&keywords=gamera

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    One of the few things I remember about Die Hard 4 is how the R-rated version for some bizarre reason has a worse one-liner after the scene where he takes down a helicopter by crashing a car into it (if I remember right).

In the PG-13 version, Mac is freaking out about "Holy crap, you just crashed a car into a helicopter!" and he responds with something like "Yeah...well...I was out of bullets."

In the R-rated version, his response is to ramble about statistics of automobile-related deaths.

Oh, and I remember in the commentary you can practically hear Bruce Willis eye-roll at the actual title before deciding to just call it Die Hard 4.

Also, wasn't Kevin Smith in it for some reason?

"Thousands of people die in car accidents every year... that was like, two more."

Which is a great line.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    "Gamera is full of meat" is endlessly amusing to me.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjF8UrRPar0
    This No Small Parts video goes into 'actor playing themselves' territory.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    "Gamera is full of meat" is endlessly amusing to me.

The entire song is just so wonderful.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    I just watched the Age of Ultron 720p60fps trailer.

I guess it just looks like it's playing at 1.5x until your brain gets used to it?

Ultron was not filmed at 60 frames per second so whatever you're watching has been modified in some way, perhaps through interpolated frames

Well even that skateboard video just seems sped up.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Lockout isn't a great movie or anything

But it's title card drop almost managed to convince me i was in for a great time

(It was only a decent time)

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    FAQ wrote: »
    I cannot tell the difference between 24 and 48 fps.
    All this talk about it looking bad sounds like so much "old man yelling at clouds" to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDBW53cgWjs

This video seems to do a pretty good visual comparison, make sure you have the setting set to at least 720p48fps. Can you still not see the difference?

(Note that this is an application where the 48fps won't look as weird and alien as it would for a something staged)

If you pause this video when it's doing the side by side comparison the images look exactly the same. There should be much more motion blur on the 24ps shots so that they don't look jerky. Which makes me think they shot this at a shutter speed suited for 48 frames per second and just dropped some frames out for the comparison,

Which basically means, 24fps on any movie will look better than the 24fps here does.

"better"

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I watched Lockout

But I remember like, nothing about it

I guess it was an okay movie then?

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    FAQ wrote: »
    I cannot tell the difference between 24 and 48 fps.
    All this talk about it looking bad sounds like so much "old man yelling at clouds" to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDBW53cgWjs

This video seems to do a pretty good visual comparison, make sure you have the setting set to at least 720p48fps. Can you still not see the difference?

(Note that this is an application where the 48fps won't look as weird and alien as it would for a something staged)

If you pause this video when it's doing the side by side comparison the images look exactly the same. There should be much more motion blur on the 24ps shots so that they don't look jerky. Which makes me think they shot this at a shutter speed suited for 48 frames per second and just dropped some frames out for the comparison,

Which basically means, 24fps on any movie will look better than the 24fps here does.

"better"

Yes

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Luc Besson makes movies that make amazing trailers. No film was a bigger disappointment for me based on raised expectations from a trailer than The Fifth Element. The first and only trailer I saw for it was very minimalist, like no dialogue at all. Just epic shots of epic shit with absolutely none of the ridiculous stuff that was prevalent throughout.

I was Sofa King mad when I left the theater after seeing it. It took me years to get over the feeling of having been cheated out of what looked to be the most amazing sci-fi/action experience ever.

Now I love it for what it is; not hate it for what it wasn't.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Lucy is a good movie come at me

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I would call Lucy a fun movie

I would not call Lucy a good movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Lucy is almost a perfect movie

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Lucy had a great hook, but that ending was super dumb.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

Lucy is a movie I haven't seen and have no opinions about, come at me

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Luc Besson makes movies that make amazing trailers. No film was a bigger disappointment for me based on raised expectations from a trailer than The Fifth Element. The first and only trailer I saw for it was very minimalist, like no dialogue at all. Just epic shots of epic shit with absolutely none of the ridiculous stuff that was prevalent throughout.

I was Sofa King mad when I left the theater after seeing it. It took me years to get over the feeling of having been cheated out of what looked to be the most amazing sci-fi/action experience ever.

I think luc besson needs someone on set to say to him, "no, luc, that's fucking stupid"

because I do love the fifth element but goddamn is there some stupid shit in it

• Options
    Lucy is an example of how particular my likes and dislikes are. Like, I hate that movie for two reasons, one is the 10% bullshit, and the other is the extent and degree of the powers she gets just for having more neurons firing at the same time.

The thing is, while I may have a case in the fact that it uses an outdated pseudoscience explanation, I'm not sure I'd have the same reaction of there was a mad scientist who had a perpetual motion machine that is powered by the Ether. Conversely, if there was a movie where trepanning was used as a serious way to treat mental illness, I'd probably find that hard to swallow.

On the second topic, if she had been given like an alien drug or had been mutated or something instead of just having more brainpower, the random grabbag of superpowers she gets would have been more palletable to me, even though those explanations are handwavy, they're handwavy in a way that leaps past my initial "this is not how this shit works." Yet I'm perfectly fine with a number of other "that's not how shit works in teh real world" things that happen in movies.

Basically, I hate that movie, but I should probably hate a lot more films for the same reason, yet I don't.

I think it might just be how proudly that movie parades around it's bullshit that gets me.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

wow WOW

calm down killer

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I think luc besson needs someone on set to say to him, "no, luc, that's fucking stupid"

Ah, the Hideo Kojima problem.

• Options
    nah but really though, haven't seen Lucy and probably won't?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

naaaaah it was observed most infamously with George Lucas so I'm going to call it the Lucas Imperative

• Options
    Actully, shit, if Lucy had dropped the 10% stuff, had just made her become supersmart and then all of the superpowered stuff was caused due to technology she built, I would have been totally down with that film.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

naaaaah it was observed most infamously with George Lucas so I'm going to call it the Lucas Imperative

When Kojima goes insane sometimes you get some good stuff out of it.

Never Lucas.

Lucas Imperative is correct.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

wow WOW

calm down killer

Hot takes

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

The fifth element is so fucking great. I love everything about it.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Just got back from seeing The Martian. Goes without saying at this point, but it was utterly fantastic.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Actully, shit, if Lucy had dropped the 10% stuff, had just made her become supersmart and then all of the superpowered stuff was caused due to technology she built, I would have been totally down with that film.

Honestly I think this is why I generally prefer fantasy over sci-fi. Made up magical stuff in fantasy feels whimsical, while wacky made up stuff in sci-fi feels like lying.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Like, Lucy would have been so much better if professor Morgan Freeman was giving this serious speech about magical potential how humans only use 10% of their soul and Lucy got her powers a ground up unicorn or something.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

wow WOW

calm down killer

Hot takes

mods?????

• Options
    luc besson is a super creepy dude

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Lucy sounds like it was made by someone who's heavy into philosophy and believes random pseudoscience and mysticism.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I like most of you and enjoy your company so come at me.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Lucy is like a movie made by a person who really wanted to make an anime movie but doesn't want anyone to know that they like anime.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I would call Lucy a fun movie

I would not call Lucy a good movie

You need to learn to use more than 10% of your brain, to appreciate it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Lucy was a really great, weird, quirky, interesting half a movie that planted its head firmly up its own ass in the second half.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Did Sean O'Neal leave the AV Club or what?

This discussion has been closed.