As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    In my mind friendly fire and bad practices are more likely in xcom because I don't view them as humanity's best. I believe the "honor" of being selected for the xcom project is a punishment. A mix of soldiers who pissed off the brass of their respective militaries, and bad apples who get the choice between a firing squad and serving in Xcom.

There are some brave volunteers who feel a calling to fight on the front line against the alien menace, but they're the minority.

Of course that's just my head canon, but it would explain a lot.

They're all brave in the original X-COM. Even the biggest bed wetting coward on the squad can watch his CO get ripped apart by a chryssalid, shrug, and keep on keeping on. It's only when half the team is down he gets antsy.

But they're not necessarily all volunteers.

Most bullets are fired for suppressive fire, so of course the hit rate is low.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    People always joke about XCOM soldiers being super inaccurate, but really, you should see the statistics for rounds fired in combat to how many of them actually hit enemies. IIRC it's something like one shot hit for every 500 shots fired. XCOM and X-com soldiers are freaky accurate, even as rookies.

Most RL engagements are at longer ranges than XCOM.

XCOM also features soldiers that can ram a shotgun up an alien's arse, pull the trigger and still miss.
    Firaxis has stated that the ranges XCOM operates at in the game is an abstraction.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Velmeran wrote: »
    I really wish someone had made a 4 player co-op xcom where each player gets 2-4 guys, but things like sounds/vision aren't shared between players and instead they have to try and describe what their seeing to the rest. Would be an amazing time with good friends.

Up until one of your dudes shoot up one of your team mates dudes with reaction fire because you forgot to click on the "Ally around that corner" button.
    Then it just turns into a turn based death match while the aliens point and laugh.

So, like old Rainbow 6 games? Where 90% of public matches ended 5 seconds in because someone 'accidentally' shot someone in the leg and then a frag is out.

• SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    Well, that's me caught up on the thread at last! And how dare you leave me hanging.

Still, looks like things are going well for the team right now - you certainly gave those Orks Mutons what for and no mistake. Which means I can only presume that horrific bloody annihilation awaits just around the corner! And with all those body bags on all those continents I suppose you might, conceivably, get through the rank and file lined up to serve Cydonia the Emperor Mankind!

For Glory! !Sign up [Male 1, for the quiff]

steam_sig.png
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    Confronted with superior Russian armor and numbers during their invasion of the Soviet Union, the Wehrmacht used its tanks to drive wedges into the opposing line and cut off pockets of the enemy.

OhQSoaB.png

Rushing in behind the armored wedge, German infantry would surround the cut-off pocket, trapping the enemy in a cauldron of destruction.

f7msFbY.gif

Keil und Kessel. Wedge and Cauldron.

Once the encirclement was complete, escape was nearly impossible.

M2zKW8r.png

Trapped in a hellscape of scorched earth, cover pulverized by repeated bombardment, even a superior force is vulnerable to attacks from all sides.

The outcome is inevitable. It's only a matter of time.

YQ8MdOD.gif

In the end, Iolo's first career kill brings down the curtain on Operation Horse Puddle.

He shares the distinction of claiming a Muton for his first scalp with 38thDoe, and with QuestionablySane, who threw one of our lethal proxies.

LsbvDET.png

QuestionablySane also joins GONG-00 in promotion to the Strategic Beefcake Reserve.

E4Djhc1.png

Deliveries like these are coming every few days now, as we burn through our cache of munitions at an unprecedented rate.

Fortunately, the Council has rewarded our good work over the past five months with enough funds to cover this expense and more.

99oRcum.png

Moments past midnight on the sixth of June, workers break ground on the new hangar at Haus von Trapp. It's the cradle that will hold our Ultimate Craft when assembly begins a month from now. The workshop where its components will be fabricated is already under construction.

We just have to hold out a little while longer.

dQHcODs.png

Meanwhile, they continue to probe our defenses.

7TGQhFF.png

In the Western Hemisphere, a Medium Scout passes low over the Sonoran Desert. Searching, surveying, studying.

3x749dU.gif

MechMantis puts an end to it.

GAGKB1f.png

The wreckage and any survivors are left to the buzzards and the merciless Mojave sun, in accordance with our newly-adopted rules of engagement.

pdlrE3K.png

In the Eastern Hemisphere, a new alien mission is heralded by the appearance of a Small Scout above the East China Sea.

1twCHOf.png

Lt. Mudzgut earns his Captain's bars by converting the UFO into a floating debris field.

WRZvCHK.png

Two days later, another Small Scout appears on Mt Rushmore's radar.

ygNgjgw.png

MechMantis's pursuit leads him around the Arctic Circle ...

fSrYG7m.png

... and when the Scout shows no signs of slowing, he hands the contact off to Mudzgut.

uE6qLO5.gif

Following a long chase across the taiga, during which it evaded interception just as Mudzgut was acquiring a missile lock, UFO-46's daring run comes to an end in central Mongolia.

The next few days are quiet. On June 14th, the weekly situation report arrives on my desk with the bad news we were expecting.

U6CjPtk.png

Alien activity in southern Africa has quadrupled since the beginning of the month. The Muton base has begun its terrible work.

To the west, to the east, and to the south - the cauldron takes shape, and Haus von Trapp is at its center.

We just have to hold out a little while longer.

• QuestionablySaneQuestionablySane Registered User regular
    MY BUTTER USAGE HAS WORKED!!! KEEP SLATHERING IT ON!!!

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Time for me to start exercising with ammo belts attached to my ankles and shoulders!

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Operation Horse Puddle. Was it because of the explosions that the horse made a puddle, or was the puddle made of horse?

Regardless, there's plenty of Muton puddles now.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Dear Daughter,

[Redacted] still [Redacted].

Love,

[Redacted]

Vechloran.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    One could say, we're reaching the final countdown.

Do-de-do-do...

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    God damn it, some one turn off the microwave.

edited October 2015
    RUoM9uT.png

Oh hey! The Floaters are finally getting around to their May terror mission.

L0hvYOm.png

Better late than never, I suppose.

It looks like this Terror Ship is just performing the requisite intimidating flyby. Another one should be along in a few days to bring the party to South America.

In the meantime, I'm sure we'll find ways to keep busy.

ep8ToUi.png

Every day with these Scouts. They're as bad as telemarketers.

NfNYyTj.png

It's time for Mudzgut to put us on the Do Not Call list.

kOHrkWz.png

The Large Scout crashes to earth only a few miles away from Neo-ChongQing. I think this is a continuation of the Sectoid terror scouting we saw at the beginning of the month, but just to be safe, we're going loaded for bear. Or rather, for Muton. Bears are extremely fragile creatures that usually die to a single autocannon burst.

Mvrck will be our point man on this one, as he has been so often in the past. Directly behind him in the Skyranger is the soldier whose life he heroically saved, at great personal risk, by firing explosive rounds at a Snakeman only a few paces away.

It's been thirty-eight days.

vhL61GS.png

Welcome back, Sergeant.

Fanda on
    icVkuDV.png

X-Com Order of Battle:
    Confirmation Bias
    Mvrck and fedaykin666
    theSquid and Farangu
    SutibunRi and Stormwatcher
    Durinia and an_alt
    Sir Fabulous and Antinumeric

Green Acres is the place to be! Farm living is the life for me.

gOyJZ1l.png

Land spreading out so far and wide!

f1vP3qE.png

A door just opened. There's an alien inside.

We could bust this sucker open with a rocket, of course. But we're not far out from Neo-ChongQing. Some of the base personnel might have family living out here. Out of consideration to them, we should keep the property destruction to a minimum.

SqR7QZX.png

Instead, we'll bracket the building with proximity grenades at the front and back doors. It'll buy us another turn to disembark more troops and see what we're dealing with.

9IPXBHK.gif

The shriek of a Sectoid in mortal agony is incomparably sweet music, and tonic for the troubled soul.

XpsjIpF.png

Confirmation Bias confirms the kill and the location of the Large Scout. With our tank in the vanguard, the rest of the team fans out behind it.

Unfortunately, all these fences and stone walls leave Confirmation Bias with limited options if it's going to advance next turn. A well-placed grenade can help with that.

OvB5rQP.png

The way is now open.

YfOAqHr.gif

And the dinner bell has been rung.

s4aGekG.gif

The second heavy plasma blast slams into the exposed flank of our rocket tank, vaporizing part of its armored shell and melting deep into its chassis.

OiTxwhr.png

It's okay. I didn't want to fire any tank rockets today anyway.

fSNfuYW.gif

Hit and run. The Sectoid fades back into the concealing darkness of the farmhouse, and we're left in a dilly of a pickle.

t9TbaOW.png

If Confirmation Bias tries to withdraw, it will expose its vulnerable rear armor to potential reaction fire.

At least we can deal with the Sectoid in the orchard easily enough.

aOcZB3B.png

Durinia and SutibunRi set up a murderous crossfire, with SutibunRi's autocannon scoring the death blow.

The one by the UFO is going to be trickier. The farmhouse is blocking line of sight for most of our troops. But if theSquid swings out wide to the north, he might be able to get an angle on it.

0FQwMJH.png

Or he might discover another Sectoid sneaking up on us with a stun bomb launcher.

HjiLSVN.gif

Mvrck's subsequent autocannon barrage is high on intimidation and low on lethality.

DjolXy9.png

Sir Fabulous kneels, bracing his weapon for a more accurate shot, and it pays off. He knocks the Sectoid unconscious before it can do the same to us.

We'll need to follow up on this one later, but we have two more immediate threats to deal with, and none of our soldiers can get their gunsights on them. It's all down to grenades at this point.

fedaykin666 drops smoke in front of Confirmation Bias, our last hope at saving the tank.

c8VYd3f.gif

Stormwatcher's regular grenade fails to kill the Sectoid by the hull.

JrzQjyx.gif

But Corporal Proxy catches the other one on its way out of the farmhouse and puts an end to it.

There's no more plasma fire. Our critically damaged tank has been granted a stay of execution. Before Confirmation Bias retreats to the Skyranger, it makes one last short scouting move forward, with theSquid on its right flank and Durinia on its left.

IF0Aqhn.png

Smoking craters and corpses litter the battlefield, but the enemy - for now - is nowhere to be found.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Oh my

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Target that barn for artillery.

Purification Spread.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    *AdmiralAckbar.jpg*

Durinia on
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Any X-COM family living near a barn knowingly accept the risk. Level the barn sir.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Anyone with a barn on their property is clearly an alien sympathiser anyway.
    Seriously, what other use is there for barns other than as a place for aliens to hide in? None we have encountered!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Anyone with a barn on their property is clearly an alien sympathiser anyway.
    Seriously, what other use is there for barns other than as a place for aliens to hide in? None we have encountered!

To be fair, by the time we show up the livestock that would normally be occupying a barn has already been abducted, vivisected, presumably coated in spices the likes of which mere mortals can only dream and then smoked over low heat from the smoldering coals made of our finest native hardwoods for a few hours before being fed to the high ranking aliens that we haven't met/brutally murdered yet.

And of course, we never get invited to the BBQ, do we you alien bastards? GIVE US YOUR SECRET SPACE SPICE RUB!

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    HjiLSVN.gif

Mvrck's subsequent autocannon barrage is high on intimidation and low on lethality.

All right, so I'm 1-1 for killing aliens by shooting the wall. Still, a .500 batting average is probably high in the record books for XCOM.

• fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    There's something profoundly soothing about high explosive autocannons. Alien scum don't know who they're messing with.

By the way, anyone want in on a barracks betting ring on which of us dies last? Butter up for grabs.

fedaykin666 on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    There's something profoundly soothing about high explosive autocannons. Alien scum don't know who they're messing with.

By the way, anyone want in on a barracks betting ring on which of us dies last? Butter up for grabs.

Dies last in this mission, or overall? With my stats I'll never actually get to go out on a mission, so I figure I'm a shoein for dying last overall...

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Crapulent Ham

El Skid wrote: »

Dies last in this mission, or overall? With my stats I'll never actually get to go out on a mission, so I figure I'm a shoein for dying last overall...

Man, you and Brew. I keep hoping for a nice training mission to crop up in Haus von Trapp's AO, but there's been nothing but terror and Mutons for ages.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I hope I'm not just sitting in the muscle butter room talking to a dead guy the whole time. I haven't been on a mission in a while.

You know I'm always ready to volunteer for anything. Especially if its dangerous.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

Man, you and Brew. I keep hoping for a nice training mission to crop up in Haus von Trapp's AO, but there's been nothing but terror and Mutons for ages.

If you ever need a grenade thrown feebly with supreme accuracy, I am always ready for action, sir!

• RendRend Registered User regular

If you ever need a grenade thrown feebly with supreme accuracy, I am always ready for action, sir!

Before XCom he was absolutely dominant in the world championships of beer pong.

yHy8Lub.gif

I could quit using proximity grenades any time, if I wanted. I just choose not to, because they enrich my life.

cufIWqp.png

South of the farmhouse, Durinia's march comes to a sudden halt at the edge of a colossal wheat field. There's no end to it in sight. It may stretch clear around the Earth, for all we know. It might be creeping up behind us right now.

Finding that it costs an exhausting nine time units to move one tile through the wheat - which apparently has the consistency of oatmeal - Durinia refuses to take another step. We may need to pave the way forward with ashes.

qPmJ8sf.png

Meanwhile, to the north, the squad takes cover in anticipation of an alien counterattack. The Sectoid that Sir Fabulous knocked out has woken up and could prove to be a dangerous spotter for its kin. We'll have to wait and see what its play is.

oHXRZRF.gif

Uh.

mP5paW4.png

Apparently, suicide by X-Com is what it has in mind.

Wdhy10Y.gif

Its suffering continues, hilariously, as Stormwatcher merely knocks it unconscious again.

TGcrTqI.png

Now's the time to claim the farmhouse for our own. From the second floor, SutibunRi will have the ideal firing position to cover our advance.

pfn18lp.png

A few steps into the northern orchard, theSquid comes face to face with our ancient enemy. It fixes him with its cyclopean glare, and his nerve falters. With an_alt lobbing a proxy over his head to discourage pursuit, Squid falls back to the sheds.

Z5ipvRg.png

Speaking of proxies - okay, I know how this looks. But trust me, I'm not dependent on them. I just use them socially, to take the edge off when I'm meeting new aliens.

eIyHkXU.png

Staggering to its feet once more, the Sectoid turns to Stormwatcher with a silent agonized plea in its eyes.

dS0ls6r.gif

It manages to reach a tiny grain of empathy in her stony heart. Perforated by armor piercing rounds for the third time, the Sectoid finally melts into the welcoming embrace of death.

With the encirclement of the UFO almost complete, Farangu drops another proximity grenade on the door. It's the ninth we've thrown in as many turns. SutibunRi now carries our last one.

ELBOE9W.gif

And then, one turn before we run out of proxies, the Sectoids run out of bodies to throw at them.

FyUBV1O.png

I don't have a problem. The aliens have a problem.

edited October 2015
    Oh my god one of my oldest XCom memories was playing TFTD with a mate by my side and when an Aquatoid wandered in front of my guys I turned to my friend and said, in a quavering voice: "kiiiill meeee" as if I were the Aquatoid. We both laughed our asses off.

That's just what's happened here

oh my god I could cry.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Maybe not as heroic as my last mission, but proxy grenade kills for Team Muscle Butter still count, last I checked.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Look at his little legs go, dude's on a mission.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    This, ladies and gentlemen, is why the Skyranger has more than one exit.

Wait.

steam_sig.png
    hey, is there any sort of cool mod/upgrade for playing Apoc in modern computers? Or whatever version they got in Steam is good enough?

camo_sig2.png
    For what may be the last time in this campaign...

RlZ61Zr.png

Put on your frilled shirts and pastel blue tailcoats...

FJamjTh.png

And take my hand.

I want to bring you to a special place, nestled amidst the Andes...

axkDcgU.png

Where ten highly armed men and women can shed their inhibitions...

vZ6ZLzj.png

And discover together how sweet it can be...

GSfExjt.png

To float on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WclAFJSvyWw

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Rock n' roll!

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Sooooo hype for this terror mission. Bring it on!!

edit: Don't bloody agree with this comment Harvester, that's an implication I don't appreciate

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    few do

qEg2LAU.png Hello everybody, I'm Laurie Dhue.

IbFkjwd.png

X-Com Order of Battle:
    Existential Doubt
    Rend and Morning Butter
    Cheeseliker and Molybdenum
    Gabriel_Pitt and crucialityfactor
    Talus9952 and Phaserlight
    manwiththemachinegun and Pixelated Pixie

qEg2LAU.png Civil unrest continues to spread across Latin America today, with martial law being declared in the Chilean capital of Santiago.

QqjF2mk.png

qEg2LAU.png Government forces have moved swiftly to secure key locations in the city center.

8V7L7Vq.gif

qEg2LAU.png However, they are meeting stiff resistance from what appears to be a well co-ordinated and growing insurrection.

FuGJ8gl.png

qEg2LAU.png In an official statement released moments ago, Chilean Minister of Defense Raul Castillo condemned the widespread use of improvised explosive devices by the insurgents.

c4J02J2.gif

qEg2LAU.png Multiple explosions have already been reported in a residential district near the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

WVsTUal.png

qEg2LAU.png There are confirmed reports of only one casualty at this time.

aYeGqTt.gif

qEg2LAU.png However, Minister Castillo's statement included reference to "Status Black," a code phrase that indicates the use of live ammunition by government forces has been approved.

HKUHEF0.png

qEg2LAU.png He further vowed that "there will be no exclusion zones in Chile," a reference to the Zone of Alienation established around Brasilia after the fall of the Brazilian capital in April.

gYqhOdI.gif

qEg2LAU.png With the situation on the ground deteriorating, analysts warn that further casualties are all but inevitable unless a peaceful resolution is reached within the next few hours. So far, no negotiations have been opened between the government and the insurgents.

lW6hXJY.png

qEg2LAU.png One happy note: it appears that early reports of bears running loose in the streets of Santiago can now safely be discounted.

2dfoAp9.png

qEg2LAU.png A city official confirmed that the Chilean National Zoo was secured by local police, and all of the animals have been accounted for.

qEg2LAU.png We'll have more from Santiago as events unfold. Stay tuned after the break for a look at the "ghost town" discovered last week in Zaire, and its possible connection to the missing persons reports which have been sweeping the central African nation.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Jesus that's a hot LZ.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Good, don't have to walk as mu.....aaaaaaah! KILL ALL HUMANS!