As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:HW] Ye Olde Threade

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    This is the first time I will do a 24 alliance raid. Any suggestions? Are queues bad as a tank?

Turn Alliance Chat off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    This is the first time I will do a 24 alliance raid. Any suggestions? Are queues bad as a tank?

At first queues will be pretty quick for tanks and healers, less so for DPS.

The Raid itself should not be very difficult mechanically, they are designed around pretty basic concepts typically and with the idea that 24 random people will be in them at varying degrees of skill.

Be sure to run the raid on the job you want to gear, as you'll only get one piece of gear a week and you really don't want to lose the chance to roll on a tank piece you need because you decided to queue as DPS this time. Also be sure to only roll on loot you actually want, once you get a piece for the week that's it, you are locked out of more loot until the following week.

Unless you are extremely lucky be prepared to run the raid a LOT to get the specific gear you want, also be prepared to hear people complain incessantly about not winning/seeing the gear THEY want.

Try and run the raid earlier in the week when most of the community is doing it, this way you'll get more chances, generally have better groups, and have an overall better experience compared to the people who wait to the last minute and try to get their gear right before the weekly reset, and then complain about the quality of players.

At first the raids will be a bit tricky as the community figures out the mechanics, individuals will figure them out quickly, and if those people tend to be in your run it may go smoother (provided the general alliance listens), if not be prepared for runs to be a bit rough for the first couple weeks as people get used to it and general agreed upon strategies are hashed out and circulated.

Feel free to ignore the following people as you will run into them on occasion:
    People who yell at others for not skipping cutscenes during the first few weeks,
    People who yell at others for not knowing the fight 3 days after it released or who say they "should have watched a video"
    People who insist the fights are super easy and OMG why does everyone else suck.
    People who put no effort whatsoever into the fights and are basically just dead weight.

Also get used to seeing people drop out of Raid after losing on a roll they wanted or when their loot doesn't drop off the boss, but don't worry they'll be replaced almost instantly by people queueing in progress. (Pro-tip if the loot you want drops off a later boss it may be better to queue in progress!)

A lot of that sounds bad but honestly the vast majority of the time it will be fine, just prepping you for some of this stuff because you WILL run into it on occasion. Or even worse, if you do any of the above stuff you'll run into it every time! :D

Edit: Also the group makeup will be 5 DPS, 2 Healers, and 1 tank for each group. An Alliance consists of 3 of these groups, so often the mechanics of the fight will account for the fact that you'll have 3 tanks and there will be some sort of mechanics that requires all three tanks to do something (1 Main tank, 2 to pick up adds, or 3 bosses that need to each be tanked away from eachother, etc)

I normally never leave a run in progress, but for WoD when I was farming for the bard chestpiece I figured it was worth it.
    It dropped off the first boss, and the time it took to complete the remaining three bosses even if done flawlessly was usually almost as long as lockout for quitting anyway.
    And from the times I did run the dungeon to completion I knew that I'd be replaced by another DPS instantly, so I didn't feel bad for the rest of the party.

It still took me a couple weeks and at least 30-40 attempts to even see it drop. Thankfully it was an uncontested roll.
    By way of thanks, I did cheerfully finish out that run.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

At first queues will be pretty quick for tanks and healers, less so for DPS.

The Raid itself should not be very difficult mechanically, they are designed around pretty basic concepts typically and with the idea that 24 random people will be in them at varying degrees of skill.

Be sure to run the raid on the job you want to gear, as you'll only get one piece of gear a week and you really don't want to lose the chance to roll on a tank piece you need because you decided to queue as DPS this time. Also be sure to only roll on loot you actually want, once you get a piece for the week that's it, you are locked out of more loot until the following week.

Unless you are extremely lucky be prepared to run the raid a LOT to get the specific gear you want, also be prepared to hear people complain incessantly about not winning/seeing the gear THEY want.

Try and run the raid earlier in the week when most of the community is doing it, this way you'll get more chances, generally have better groups, and have an overall better experience compared to the people who wait to the last minute and try to get their gear right before the weekly reset, and then complain about the quality of players.

At first the raids will be a bit tricky as the community figures out the mechanics, individuals will figure them out quickly, and if those people tend to be in your run it may go smoother (provided the general alliance listens), if not be prepared for runs to be a bit rough for the first couple weeks as people get used to it and general agreed upon strategies are hashed out and circulated.

Feel free to ignore the following people as you will run into them on occasion:
    People who yell at others for not skipping cutscenes during the first few weeks,
    People who yell at others for not knowing the fight 3 days after it released or who say they "should have watched a video"
    People who insist the fights are super easy and OMG why does everyone else suck.
    People who put no effort whatsoever into the fights and are basically just dead weight.

Also get used to seeing people drop out of Raid after losing on a roll they wanted or when their loot doesn't drop off the boss, but don't worry they'll be replaced almost instantly by people queueing in progress. (Pro-tip if the loot you want drops off a later boss it may be better to queue in progress!)

A lot of that sounds bad but honestly the vast majority of the time it will be fine, just prepping you for some of this stuff because you WILL run into it on occasion. Or even worse, if you do any of the above stuff you'll run into it every time! :D

Edit: Also the group makeup will be 5 DPS, 2 Healers, and 1 tank for each group. An Alliance consists of 3 of these groups, so often the mechanics of the fight will account for the fact that you'll have 3 tanks and there will be some sort of mechanics that requires all three tanks to do something (1 Main tank, 2 to pick up adds, or 3 bosses that need to each be tanked away from eachother, etc)

I normally never leave a run in progress, but for WoD when I was farming for the bard chestpiece I figured it was worth it.
    It dropped off the first boss, and the time it took to complete the remaining three bosses even if done flawlessly was usually almost as long as lockout for quitting anyway.
    And from the times I did run the dungeon to completion I knew that I'd be replaced by another DPS instantly, so I didn't feel bad for the rest of the party.

It still took me a couple weeks and at least 30-40 attempts to even see it drop. Thankfully it was an uncontested roll.
    By way of thanks, I did cheerfully finish out that run.

Yeah I don't have any problem with people doing that honestly, they get replaced almost instantly. I just mentioned it because he had asked what to expect, and I wanted to point that out and explain it before he encountered it so he would know why it happens.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the replies! It's been a while since I've done big raids. Seriously, I can't wait to go raid somewhere that isn't Alexander.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Jars wrote: »

One exception to that: Labyrinth of the Ancients has a group composition of 2/2/4. But yeah, the 24-man stuff isn't too rough.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »

One exception to that: Labyrinth of the Ancients has a group composition of 2/2/4. But yeah, the 24-man stuff isn't too rough.

Correct, that was the first 24 man, they have since revised their party makeup and don't do 2/2/4 anymore because you end up with a bunch of tanks sitting around feeling useless and longer DPS queue times, every 24 man since then has been 1/2/5 which works out much better for the encounter designs, queue times, and overall fun.

In the edit I was specifically referring to this upcoming 24-man which I believe they have confirmed to have the 1/2/5 ratio already.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Ah, my bad. And yeah, I agree with you that the composition is way better with the current setup. The whole six-tank setup was just...weird.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It led to a lot of fights with Important Buttons and stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pretty awesome beginner's guide to tanking sub 30

https://youtu.be/aUP6MgI2RGA

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    My mom told to never take advice from drunk people.

Of course she was drunk at the time, sooooo...

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    That a good tanking basics vid; I especially like that he explains how to dodge things while keeping the mob stationary.

I've been leveling my Monk and oh god I think some of the tanks out there are trying out for Swan Lake with as much as they're spinning everything, even when there's nothing to dodge or adds to pick up.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I will swear however that Fight or Flight/any damage buff will improve Flash's threat generation. Otherwise Flash would either be absurdly powerful initially, or absolutely worthless once DPS gets geared to the gills.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    I will swear however that Fight or Flight/any damage buff will improve Flash's threat generation. Otherwise Flash would either be absurdly powerful initially, or absolutely worthless once DPS gets geared to the gills.

They do, yes. Flash doesn't do damage, but it does calculate out 600 potency of "damage" and apply that as threat. 1200 with Shield Oath. It's the exact same threat as Overpower or Unleash or Steel Cyclone or Abyssal Drain.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Where those others outpace Flash is crit.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So I got paid and now I'm re-subbed to FFXIV. Look forwards to seeing you folks in game again.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    So I got paid and now I'm re-subbed to FFXIV. Look forwards to seeing you folks in game again.

To quote the Hearthstone innkeeper:

GHt0cfs.png

Warm your frozen boots by the fire!

488W936.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So Red Cat and I just reached
    A smile better suits a hero
    and I am ready to redouble my efforts at depopulating Ishgard.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    DRG 60 get! Which is my 6th job at level 60... I didn't quite anticipate myself pushing DRG that fast and I was expecting to hit 60 sometime next week which would have lined up with a new Alex cycle where I'd be able to grab a i190 belt. Oh well...

Anyhow, level 56 was interesting since I had to break the 2.x muscle memory of the old rotation and start incorporating the 4th combo ability... and now I'm trying to learn how to weave in Geirskorgul which is proving to be a lot more than I expected. End result, I'm running out of mental bandwidth and I'm stuffing up basic stuff like which combo I'm on, keeping oGCDs on cool down and Full/Chaos Thrust are NOT the end of a combo. Then keeping up with all of that while dealing with encounter mechanics...

I foresee a lot more drilling on a target dummy to get the new stuff down pat...

I also need to find a weapon model to use as my glamour, or failing that, stick with the i180 law naginta because we all know that mechanical soundness is secondary to making sure your glamour is up to snuff.

Takel on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man...I've been unlucky with my drops. I want a Martial Blade for my new 60 DRK. Hmmm...I'm wondering what should I focus on...Relic for my PLD just because...leveling crafting/gatherer classes...or finally level my DRG?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    DRG 60 get! Which is my 6th job at level 60... I didn't quite anticipate myself pushing DRG that fast and I was expecting to hit 60 sometime next week which would have lined up with a new Alex cycle where I'd be able to grab a i190 belt. Oh well...

Anyhow, level 56 was interesting since I had to break the 2.x muscle memory of the old rotation and start incorporating the 4th combo ability... and now I'm trying to learn how to weave in Geirskorgul which is proving to be a lot more than I expected. End result, I'm running out of mental bandwidth and I'm stuffing up basic stuff like which combo I'm on, keeping oGCDs on cool down and Full/Chaos Thrust are NOT the end of a combo. Then keeping up with all of that while dealing with encounter mechanics...

I foresee a lot more drilling on a target dummy to get the new stuff down pat...

I also need to find a weapon model to use as my glamour, or failing that, stick with the i180 law naginta because we all know that mechanical soundness is secondary to making sure your glamour is up to snuff.

The short answer for Geir is to burn it when you know you can execute a full 4 step combo and not drop blood of the dragon by mistake. It's tricky to figure out which fights you can just use it willy-nilly and when to sit on it because the boss is going to disappear for a while.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Oh I know the short answer to it including the 21s rule of thumb. The thing is working out the best opener I can get given my latency on oGCDs and then retain enough mental bandwidth to execute the basics, keep on top of the GCD timers and do mechanics while maximising DPS.

It's not something I'm going to be able to pick up within an hour or two that's for certain.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Just know that it's a crapshoot on A3.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Funnily enough, the first group encounter I did after dinging 60 was A3N. Didn't bother with BotD on the whirlwind phase and I got a decent lock on how to deal with the initial phase. I've got a much more solid understanding now on how to game the encounter to minimise dropping BotD since I've spoken with my 'mentor' DRG about the finer details involving stabbing things with a pointy stick.

Try it out, speak to someone about it or research, try it again, iterate. Levelling up and exp gains aren't limited by the character sheet :P

Edit:
    Well things are starting to come together now. Standard mechanics are getting a lot more solid and the opener is being tweaked a bit. I just did the number crunching and they're suggesting that I should persist in using the 'official' full opener and just drop the 2nd geirskorgul for the first rotation. I'll be giving up more damage from the cut Legsweep (~209 potency plus the effects of a potion) compared to an unbuffed flat 200 potency from the 2nd geirskorgul. I also get ~10 more seconds of wriggle room on BotD during the first cycle which can help a lot for mechanics, or simply to help it live through an awkward phase transition *cough*A3*cough*

Takel on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yay. I finally cleared Thornmarch EX. That's a fun battle once you get past the initial hurdle of knowing the mechanics and strategy.

Not the most Summoner-friendly fight, though.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    If anyone has any kind of mild interest in PvP, I highly encourage you to try Wolves Den on Friday nights. I never bothered at 50 since I hated WoW Arenas, but I saw this post on reddit on Friday, watched the guy's stream for like an hour and decided to give it a whirl. As it turns out, having a forced comp of tank/healer/dps/dps and not having 47 different CC types on separate diminishing returns makes it a hell of a lot more fun. (For me anyway, ymmv) Thanks to the lovely folks arranging the event, there are sub-5 min queues for 4+ hours on Fridays on the Aether datacenter, so it's a great way to at least try it and/or knock out the weekly challenge log entry in an hour.

My random observations/questions for anyone familiar (since I'm new at it):
    • Every match I was in had a ranged and a melee DPS, I don't know if it forces that comp or if the queue will eventually 'give up' and let in two melee or two ranged?
    • I seemed to run into a lot of people on my server, so it may favor same server like it does for dungeons? Either way, new people on my friends list to group with for Frontlines. *\o/* (except the one that's a dirty Adder)
    • Even though the event organizers have requested people single queue, a LOT of people aren't, so be prepared for that. I kept getting partied with a group of 3 from Cactuar.
    • Matches heavily hinge on the Healer; whichever team kills the other team's healer first will almost certainly win. (Summoner rez is disabled) If you've ever healed in any MMO PvP before and know how to LoS enemies without losing LoS on your team, you'll be golden.
    • AST are still bullshit in Wolves Den, you need a well timed stun/silence and a lot of burst to take them down. The other healing classes aren't bad though, WHM plays a lot more tactically (Sleep while not screwing up DR's), and SCH's being able to have their fairy heal someone out of their LoS and being able to queue a Whispering Dawn before Attunement is pretty huge.
    • BRD/DRG makes a crazy good combo.
    • If you play NIN and you're the last one alive, don't be a douchebag and stealth and hide.
    • As a DRK, it's required that you pop Living Dead if you're the last one alive. :rotate:
    • Speaking of tanks, (obviously) DRK and WAR are better offense and PLD is better defense. All three are really good, DRK and WAR for helping burst and PLD for covering the healer when the other team tries to burst them down.
    • I feel like PS3/4 healers are at a disadvantage, because a common tactic is to focus the healer until they pop Attunement and then target swap to burst down the tank or one of the DPS. I can click the Attunement buff off and heal them quick, but (afaik) console folks still don't have a way of canceling buffs?

I started out doing Frontlines as an alternate way of getting Esos, not really thinking that the PvP in this game was much more than an afterthought, but now PvP has become what I look forward to most. It's only taken about a month of a handful of matches a night after work to get to 34, which is 1/3rd of the way to 50 (Exp wise), so really it wont be long at all before my goal of becoming a majestic freaking Unicorn.

Ishtaar on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    What's this weekly PVP bonus?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    It scales based on rank, but overall it's about 1/2 a rank worth of PvP Exp.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Is that in the challenge log? I thought it was a quest of sorts.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Yeah it's the Challenge Log weekly, there's four challenges that give PvP Exp:
    Participate in 10 Wolves Den matches
    Win 3 Wolves Den
    Participate in 7 Frontlines
    Win 3 Frontlines

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Really looking forward to trying out the European servers tomorrow. :D

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    If anyone has any kind of mild interest in PvP, I highly encourage you to try Wolves Den on Friday nights. I never bothered at 50 since I hated WoW Arenas, but I saw this post on reddit on Friday, watched the guy's stream for like an hour and decided to give it a whirl. As it turns out, having a forced comp of tank/healer/dps/dps and not having 47 different CC types on separate diminishing returns makes it a hell of a lot more fun. (For me anyway, ymmv) Thanks to the lovely folks arranging the event, there are sub-5 min queues for 4+ hours on Fridays on the Aether datacenter, so it's a great way to at least try it and/or knock out the weekly challenge log entry in an hour.

• Every match I was in had a ranged and a melee DPS, I don't know if it forces that comp or if the queue will eventually 'give up' and let in two melee or two ranged?
    • I seemed to run into a lot of people on my server, so it may favor same server like it does for dungeons? Either way, new people on my friends list to group with for Frontlines. *\o/* (except the one that's a dirty Adder)
    • Even though the event organizers have requested people single queue, a LOT of people aren't, so be prepared for that. I kept getting partied with a group of 3 from Cactuar.
    • Matches heavily hinge on the Healer; whichever team kills the other team's healer first will almost certainly win. (Summoner rez is disabled) If you've ever healed in any MMO PvP before and know how to LoS enemies without losing LoS on your team, you'll be golden.
    • AST are still bullshit in Wolves Den, you need a well timed stun/silence and a lot of burst to take them down. The other healing classes aren't bad though, WHM plays a lot more tactically (Sleep while not screwing up DR's), and SCH's being able to have their fairy heal someone out of their LoS and being able to queue a Whispering Dawn before Attunement is pretty huge.
    • If you play NIN and you're the last one alive, don't be a douchebag and stealth and hide.
    • As a DRK, it's required that you pop Living Dead if you're the last one alive. :rotate:
    • Speaking of tanks, (obviously) DRK and WAR are better offense and PLD is better defense. All three are really good, DRK and WAR for helping burst and PLD for covering the healer when the other team tries to burst them down.
    • I feel like PS3/4 healers are at a disadvantage, because a common tactic is to focus the healer until they pop Attunement and then target swap to burst down the tank or one of the DPS. I can click the Attunement buff off and heal them quick, but (afaik) console folks still don't have a way of canceling buffs?

I started out doing Frontlines as an alternate way of getting Esos, not really thinking that the PvP in this game was much more than an afterthought, but now PvP has become what I look forward to most. It's only taken about a month of a handful of matches a night after work to get to 34, which is 1/3rd of the way to 50 (Exp wise), so really it wont be long at all before my goal of becoming a majestic freaking Unicorn.

There is a lot of these bullet points that are hilariously familiar. Particular the bit about pillar humping and stealth classes being dicks to drag out a match. Though in WoW resurrection is not disabled in arena, just the short battle rez ones. So if you're left alone long enough you absolutely can revive your partner(s).

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Ishtaar wrote: »

There is a lot of these bullet points that are hilariously familiar. Particular the bit about pillar humping and stealth classes being dicks to drag out a match. Though in WoW resurrection is not disabled in arena, just the short battle rez ones. So if you're left alone long enough you absolutely can revive your partner(s).

Rez in WoW Arenas was hilarious because if you got it off, it's because the other team straight up let you. You had to get out of combat and it took about a day to cast.

(As a side note, I have to acknowledge how great the weakness debuff is for healer sanity. Gone are the days of having to rez 80% of the group/raid after a wipe because they're too #$%^&* lazy to run back.)

It's a weird dynamic in FF since you sort of have to go for the healer: We get a free, instant cast rez as a PvP skill, plus swiftcast rez once a minute. Killing anyone but the healer ends up punishing on mana eventually, kind of, and weakness has an impact, but it's still not an auto-win like killing the healer is.

• Options
    Heh I love these vids

https://youtu.be/P8kOzxyDjns

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Servers are up!

Connection quality is pretty crap though.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2015
    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I love the broom

Also hell yeah: Inactive housing plan.

Faster than I would have expected, but with people on my server paying 10M+ just for someone to give up a plot, very needed. Longer for personal housing than FC housing would have been nice though. Either way, I'm looking forward to the housing areas being populated again, we only have one active neighbor right now in Ward 2.

As a side note, I really think Airship progression should be tied to the FC, not the house. FC's moving/upgrading housing shouldn't reset months of unlocks.

Ishtaar on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular

Well, I will have to rearrange my front yard.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Oooh. From the looks of those pics, the thigh high boots and the 3/4 length gloves are unisex(also dyeable).

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Ach. So many decorations. I need my own room.

Actually, speaking of that; what are the rules on decorating the FC house common areas?

• Options
    Seems they did a pretty big change on the main site as well: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

delphinidaes.png
This discussion has been closed.