As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    There was a bundle with a gold Wii Remote, but even the standard version had the soundtrack.

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    There was a bundle with a gold Wii Remote, but even the standard version had the soundtrack.

Didn't they eventually drop it?

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I woke up this morning thinking it was the 16th for some reason and was very disappointed when I tried to play Wooly World.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »

Didn't they eventually drop it?

Yeah, I seem to remember that being a "First Print Run" thing...not that it matters because I still see copies of Skyward Sword at Wal-Mart with the soundtrack.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So does Nintendo usually do midnight EST or Pacific?

Think I might get Woolly World digitally

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So does Nintendo usually do midnight EST or Pacific?

Think I might get Woolly World digitally

Should be up midnight EST.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Ugh. Still haven't gotten a notification that Newegg shipped my Yoshi's Wool World bundle. Getting a little antsy.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Holy crap, Wooly World is even more gorgeous than expected. The amount of Nintendo polish is super strong with this one.

I will say, this so far is a great attempt at a Yoshi game. Tons to collect, lots of sneaky hidden spots. Totally not let down.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm so glad Amazon had release date delivery for this. I'll be able to play Yoshi tomorrow when I get home.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    http://nintendoeverything.com/report-nx-dev-kits-going-out-multiple-devices-has-industry-leading-chips/
    Nintendo has started to distribute a software development kit for the new NX system to third-parties, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal. The publication cited “people familiar with the matter” in its report. Nintendo could introduce NX “as early as next year.”

The Wall Street Journal also briefly touched on NX’s form. It isn’t absolutely certain what shape it will take, but the publication noted that “Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use.” Additionally, the company apparently intends to include “industry-leading chips in the NX devices” following criticisms about the Wii U’s power and the console’s inability to stack up against the competition. All of that information is said to have come from those “familiar with the development plans”.

Finally, The Wall Street Journal’s article briefly touches on the NX’s release timing. Having spoken with analysts, there might be reason to believe that Nintendo will be looking to bring it out relatively quickly.

“We are increasingly of the idea that Nintendo might launch the NX in 2016 because of the softness of 3DS and Wii U,” analyst David Gibson told The Wall Street Journal.

We won’t be hearing or seeing NX – at least in any official capacity – until 2016.

Also, coincidentally (?) Nintendo opened up a website for developers and publishers today: https://developer.nintendo.com/

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Er, why would they launch next year if third parties are just supposedly getting dev kits now? There wouldn't be time to get any software out.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Er, why would they launch next year if third parties are just supposedly getting dev kits now? There wouldn't be time to get any software out.

Somehow I question a newspaper's ability to vet technical knowledge.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Please god, no motion controls. No gimmicks. Please just be an awesome console+maybe handheld combo.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Maybe Nintendo finally stopped having the delusion that 3rd parties were actually going to support their hardware? :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Yeah, if they're only sending out dev kits now, the launch would be about 2 years away I think.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I dunno, I have a hard time thinking Nintendo does not push for this out by next holiday.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Please god, no motion controls. No gimmicks. Please just be an awesome console+maybe handheld combo.

If they don't do something special, everyone questions why they can't just play it on PC. And I generally enjoy most of the gimmicks they've come up with.

Is dual console/portable a bad gimmick, in your opinion?

And what's wrong with accelerometers built into the controller? These days they're generally used quite well, devs know how to use them when they can enhance a game, and don't use them when they don't. Motion assist aiming is awesome and precise.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular

If they don't do something special, everyone questions why they can't just play it on PC. And I generally enjoy most of the gimmicks they've come up with.

And what's wrong with accelerometers built into the controller? These days they're generally used quite well, devs know how to use them when they can enhance a game, and don't use them when they don't. Motion assist aiming is awesome and precise.

At this point it would be a huge step backwards not to offer any type of motion control. Lord knows it's hard enough to go back to dual stick aiming after playing Splatoon.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Even the new Steam Controller has motion control with settings so you can get Splatoon-like control if you prefer that to mouse or trackball aiming. Also it's usable for racing games of course.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea, I'll also put my voice into the "there's no way in hell they go into another holiday season with the Wii U as their home console" crowd.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Yeah, if they're only sending out dev kits now, the launch would be about 2 years away I think.

Maybe this is just a broader distribution of dev kits that slipped out of NDA?

I think Nintendo could pull off one more holiday with Wii U, but ONLY if the NX Go is their centerpiece for holiday 2016.

Effectively I could see them doing 3 things.

1) NX Go 3/31/16, NX Home Thanksgiving '16. This is unlikely due to the proximity of the former date.
    2) NX Go August '16, NX Home Thanksgiving '16. Likelier, but could result in crowding for dedicated buyers who want both, since both together will easily be between $400 and $500. Zelda U definitely gets cross-genned in this scenario.
    3) NX Go Thanksgiving '16, NX Home 3/31/17. In this scenario Zelda U and the known Pikmin 4 carry Wii U through a last gasping holiday season while NX Go gets the headline.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    RE: NX

It just feels too soon. I have so many 3DS and Wii U games to still pick up. Ugh, time moves too quickly.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, keep in mind we're in an era where AAA developers pretty much won't make a big game unique to a single piece of hardware. But, dev kits going out a year before launch would give them plenty of time to port stuff, which is what they like to do.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

At this point it would be a huge step backwards not to offer any type of motion control. Lord knows it's hard enough to go back to dual stick aiming after playing Splatoon.

That's only because the stick aiming controls in Splatoon are pretty bad. If they made it function like a normal FPS, it'd be fine.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I really like Nintendo's stuff, but it feels like they just got used to HD games, and it feels like it hurt their ability to get content out on the Wii U. There were definite growing pains this generation I thought. I'm wondering if they will really be able to get together a solid launch lineup if they push the console for next year. On top of that, I really can't help but wonder why try to compete in power if those rumors are true. It's not going to bring back 3rd parties and I'm not really sure Nintendo knows what to do with that much horsepower. Frankly, Star Fox footage looks like they really aren't sure what do with what even the Wii U can do at times.

I think I'd like to see 2016 with a push on some exclusive n3DS content, Pikmin/Zelda/something else Wii U and then 2017 a real launch with more than 2 games on the NX. Nintendo generally launches with pretty anemic launch libraries and the drop off of the 3rd parties keeps making it feel worse and worse.

Ughh... my Yoshi bundle from Toys R Us isn't expected to arrive until 10/29. Are they walking it to my house?

SyphonBlue wrote: »
    That's only because the stick aiming controls in Splatoon are pretty bad. If they made it function like a normal FPS, it'd be fine.

I've always hated dual stick aiming. Just feels terrible to use, especially compared to mouse. Motion aiming is much closer to mouse control (they're both forms of motion control, really).

I know that Splatoon has especially tough to use stick controls but it might as well control exactly like Halo for all I care. It's hard to go back to sticks in any game after motion aiming.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

If it was like a normal FPS, it'd have KBAM support.

Sticks are a abomination against the Lord Judd for FPSes. Motion controls are the only way it makes it bearable, since it actually adds a bit of precision.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch

I don't know... I've put thousands of hours into twin stick games and it's already tough to go back. It's just so damn intuitive.

• FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular

Well I mean, The PS4 and Xbox One are doing just fine despite not having any gimmicks to the extent of the Wii U pad.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    On this new mystery hybrid handheld/console just let me log in with my NNID and play everything I bought on both the 3DS and Wii U eShops.

Hybrid/handheld is exactly what I want, and honestly I don't even require any sort of backwards compatibility

Just let me play Pokemon Gamma or whatever on my handheld and then bring it home and plop something into something else and continue on my TV

Well I mean, The PS4 and Xbox One are doing just fine despite not having any gimmicks to the extent of the Wii U pad.

They both have all kinds of gimmicks. PS Plus is a pretty compelling gimmick for many. PS4 controllers have built in accelerometers.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The more I read about the impressions of the thing, the more I suspect the NX will be like the Wii U, only the tablet could be used as a separate system on the go.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I would imagine Nintendo is smart enough to know that portable means "something you can fit in your pocket," not just "technically able to be carried anywhere"

• FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

They both have all kinds of gimmicks. PS Plus is a pretty compelling gimmick for many. PS4 controllers have built in accelerometers.

What I mean is that neither of them are built entirely around a novelty like the Wii U is. If the novelty interests you then great, the pad interested me greatly. But the idea of a Nintendo console having parity with the other two major players would have interested me even more.

The PS4 and Xbox One were not built around PS plus and (I can't remember the Microsoft service's name) or their respective controllers. I wouldn't really call a extra service a gimmick anyway.

Edit: To be clear, I don't really have an opinion either way about the NXT having a gimmick or not, I just question the idea that a gimmick is only reason someone wouldn't just use a PC.

Fuzzytadpole on
    edited October 2015
    I don't think having a handheld be a combination to your system is a gimmick. What I mean by gimmick is just something dumb and arbitrary. Like blowing into the pad or having to touch the pad for Super Mario 3D World. I hated that shit. I just wanted to play a fun platformer and not have to deal with that BS.

Like, if you were to take the GamePad, re-work its design a little bit, and make it a portable combination to the Wii U that I could play my Wii U games on anywhere I wanted to, that would be even more awesome than the off screen play it allows you to already. Off screen play is great.

And for fucks sake. Calling Playstation Plus a gimmick? That is desperately grasping at straws.

Viskod on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    PS Plus is competent online service. That's not a gimmick, that's the base industry standard.

What they need to do, if the "NX" can be a console and a handheld, is sell them both separately or discounted in a bundle. Don't force people to buy them both and don't make the system require the handheld to function.

This feature needs to feel like a convenience and a bonus, not an arbitrary restriction. That was the GamePads flaw. You had to have it, even though most of the time you didn't need it.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    They also don't need a special gimmick, they need current-gen equivalent features (like blu-ray capability, etc) and lots of games.

No amount of gimmicks made me hold onto my Wii U. I really, really tried. But I ended up trading it in - along with my PS3 - to get a PS4, and since that happened four months ago, I already have four times the amount of games on my PS4 than I ever had on my Wii U.

Ceno on