As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    They also don't need a special gimmick, they need current-gen equivalent features (like blu-ray capability, etc) and lots of games.

No amount of gimmicks made me hold onto my Wii U. I really, really tried. But I ended up trading it in - along with my PS3 - to get a PS4, and since that happened four months ago, I already have four times the amount of games on my PS4 than I ever had on my Wii U.

The only way they get "lots" is if the NX impresses other developers and makes porting PS4 and XB1 games an easy thing to do.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Viskod wrote: »
    They also don't need a special gimmick, they need current-gen equivalent features (like blu-ray capability, etc) and lots of games.

No amount of gimmicks made me hold onto my Wii U. I really, really tried. But I ended up trading it in - along with my PS3 - to get a PS4, and since that happened four months ago, I already have four times the amount of games on my PS4 than I ever had on my Wii U.

The only way they get "lots" is if the NX impresses other developers and makes porting PS4 and XB1 games an easy thing to do.

I mean, yeah.

I grew up with Nintendo. It was formative. I was born in '80, so I literally began gaming with that company. And I can tell you with certainty right now, that if Nintendo had put out a console that was feature-identical to the PS4 - with the online structure, the blu-ray/dvd support, the "regular" controller, and the same level of third party support - that a Nintendo system would be my main box right now. It would be the thing sitting under my TV instead of a PS4. Because I care way more about playing a Zelda game than I will ever care about an Uncharted game.

But they decided years ago to not worry about doing that sort of thing and focus on geegaws and proprietary formats, which paid out for them big-time over a brief window with the Wii - Tickle-Me-Elmo style - but doesn't mean anything to me. I'm not in a position in my life to own multiple consoles right now. I may get there again, once my daughter grows into a teenager and my life is a bit more stable and I maybe own a home and can afford a separate room to keep all my Dad Geek stuff in, but right now I have space for one "Entertainment Box" and it needs to be versatile.

It would be super-duper awesome for that system to be a Nintendo. I would love for that to be the case.

Ceno on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    PS Plus is competent online service. That's not a gimmick, that's the base industry standard.

It offers free games for a subscription. That's not base industry standard. Steam is industry standard and they don't offer that.

Gimmicks are literally anything to set yourself apart from the competition and make people say "ooh that's neat." They can be physical or digital. Miiverse is a gimmick. PS4 Share Play is a gimmick. And that's fine.
    What I mean by gimmick is just something dumb and arbitrary.

This is the problem. You just want to use the word as a disparagement, but it isn't inherently a negative.

You're basically saying that because I like the game pad I can't consider it a gimmick, because I see it as a necessary and cool part of the system rather than dumb and arbitrary. If you think something is dumb, call it dumb. Say "no dumb stuff next time." Because there will be gimmicks regardless, and some will catch on and some won't.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Who defines the standard

Because Xbox Live and PS Plus both offer free games with a subscription

Steam is the outlier here

edited October 2015
    Who defines the standard

Wii U, PS4, and XBox One all have methods to play some/all games streamed to another device, in different ways. So the game pad must be industry standard and therefore not a gimmick?

Even if the Wii U is short range streaming, all three methods let you play elsewhere and let the wife and kids use the TV for something else, which is one of the key features.

XBox is the outlier on accelerometers in the controller, so that's industry standard, too.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Who defines the standard

Steam sales strike me as basically their version of that.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Adding Blu-Ray to the NX would be a poor decision. Additional costs for a feature that is largely going away thanks to streaming services like Netflix. Increasing the power of the system will definitely help with 3rd party relations, but at the end of the day, we all know how that is going to turn out:

3rd Parties won't put games on the NX because they are waiting for the system to sell
    3rd Parties won't put games on the NX because they don't want to compete with 1st Party games
    3rd Parties won't put games on the NX because the Nintendo audience doesn't buy those types of games (or have a PC/PS4/XB1 already)
    3rd Parties won't put games on the NX because Nintendo isn't offering them money hats

The only way to ever see real 3rd party support again on a Nintendo system is if there is too much of a market to ignore (ie. the Wii). Even then I'd be seriously shocked if they are fully supported with DLC and stuff. Of course, a lot of that has to do with Nintendo bridging the gap and giving into to "industry standards" of online play, achievements, voice-chat, etc. There is no one answer to fixing this situation and it will require both sides to meet in the middle to make it happen.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I agree completely on BluRay and 3rd parties.

I've always wondered if they pushed the VC and backwards compatibility to the forefront how they would do. I would wager there are a ton of parents my age that have no idea that Nintendo has a system that can run Mario 1, SMW, Mario 64 all in one place. I wonder if they went the nostalgia slant and really pushed that aspect of the system if it might push a few sales.

Imagine a "History of Mario" bundle for the Holidays. Make it reasonably priced and include pre-installed Mario 1 - 3, Super Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, New Super Mario and Super Mario 3D World. Push it by getting some clever in store displays and put commercials for it during shows aimed more at parents. I mean, what have they got to lose if they are already looking to go to the next console?

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Id be all for a hybrid type thing that plays the same games on the tv or on the go. That is a gimmick but it would be a hugely fascinating one.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    I just wonder how this whole thing's gonna go down

Like, I'm imagining this weird scenario where Nintendo says "hey here is a new Pokemon game" and when you play it on portable it's similar to playing a current Pokemon on your 3DS, but then maybe just a shinied-up version for the home console, in HD. They redo their assets, that sort of thing. Actually, scrap Pokemon - 3D World and 3D Land would be a good example. On loading the game up on your console, it looks similar to 3D World, and on your handheld it looks like 3D Land. Lesser, but comparable.

That's weird but I also think it's super cool

But meanwhile I can't imagine other developers taking advantage of that. I foresee a system where Ubisoft is like "here's Assassin's Creed NX" and it runs on the portable side of things as you expect it would, but when you play it on the console end, it's...just the portable game scaled to a higher resolution

Combining their markets is such a fucking fascinating thing and it's hard for me to wrap my mind around the logistics of how it will all work

Also I see no reason a late 2016 release couldn't be a thing for the NX? If the console side hardware is more in line with modern machines (PS4/Xbox One), that stuff's already been standardized anyways, and a year would probably be enough time to have some stuff ready for launch

It's also the only timetable that would make sense for the new Zelda coming to NX, because I can't see them delaying the Wii U version for longer, but I also can't imagine the NX launch game at a later date being the Zelda game that everyone already played on their Wii U months ago

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I'm gonna be so bummed out if the NX is a bog-standard console. I love Nintendo because they're different than their contemporaries in the marketplace; for everyone to yell out that they want Nintendo to just do the same thing as Sony and Microsoft is depressing at best and annoying at worst.

I'm also rather concerned that a hybrid system means their software releases would be cut in half. Why would they bother making a Super Mario 3D Land and a Super Mario 3D World in the future when one game would accomplish the same thing?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited October 2015
    I love Nintendo because they're different in their approach to the way their software is made - their hardware tends to be a nuisance at best, and an actual impediment at worst

The best games on the system - 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Wind Waker HD, Bayonetta 1/2, and from what I've played today, Yoshi's Woolly World - completely ignore the dumb screen in the middle of the Game Pad. Except for a few levels in 3D World - all of which require you to blow or touch the screen, and guess what, those levels are the worst in the game!

UnbreakableVow on
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'd be okay if Nintendo just made software for consoles and focused their hardware efforts on handheld.

vamen wrote: »
    I'd be okay if Nintendo just made software for consoles and focused their hardware efforts on handheld.

Me too, but people seem to take it as some sort of sacrilegious affront if you mention that

I love Nintendo because they're different in their approach to the way their software is made - their hardware tends to be a nuisance at best, and an actual impediment at worst

The best games on the system - 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Wind Waker HD, Bayonetta 1/2, and from what I've played today, Yoshi's Woolly World - completely ignore the dumb screen in the middle of the Game Pad. Except for a few levels in 3D World - all of which require you to blow or touch the screen, and guess what, those levels are the worst in the game!

For what its worth, though I like the Gamepad, the Wii Remote is the real winner as far as input devices go. I wish Nintendo would make more software based around that instead.

FU7kFbw.png
    vamen wrote: »

Me too, but people seem to take it as some sort of sacrilegious affront if you mention that

The reason its sacrilege is because Nintendo is most profitable when they can pull in money from both hardware and software. I get really bad SEGA vibes when folks say they should go third party.

FU7kFbw.png
    edited October 2015

I see it as a PC min settings/max settings thing.

Console: 1080p, 4xAA, full res shadows, far LOD model distance, dense foliage, higher framerate

Handheld: 720p, 2x or no AA, limited shadows, short LOD model distance, sparse foliage, lower framerate

And companies already take into account the possibilities for these different settings when they port their games to PC, you can already change those options yourself. I think a modern console vs. handheld on similar architecture could span that difference.

UncleSporky on
    Sega had no marketable franchises beyond Sonic, and Sonic had already started his neverending spiral of bad games by the time Sega went multiplatform

New Super Mario Bros. PS4 or Smash Bros. One would sell like crazy

Sure, they wouldn't be pulling in profits from hardware, but they initially sold the Wii U at a loss anyways, and that doesn't even account for all the money that went into R&D for the thing only to end up with a platform that sells, well, pathetically

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    They aren't going 3rd party any time soon. Handheld is still solidly profitable. If the NX flops they may bow out of consoles and go all in on handheld but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    They aren't going 3rd party any time soon. Handheld is still solidly profitable. If the NX flops they may bow out of consoles and go all in on handheld but...

Oh I agree

This is all just wishful thinking, no way in hell is Nintendo going third party anytime soon

This is just how things are in my happy time fantasy land

• ZythonZython Registered User regular

Like, I'm imagining this weird scenario where Nintendo says "hey here is a new Pokemon game" and when you play it on portable it's similar to playing a current Pokemon on your 3DS, but then maybe just a shinied-up version for the home console, in HD. They redo their assets, that sort of thing. Actually, scrap Pokemon - 3D World and 3D Land would be a good example. On loading the game up on your console, it looks similar to 3D World, and on your handheld it looks like 3D Land. Lesser, but comparable.

That's weird but I also think it's super cool

But meanwhile I can't imagine other developers taking advantage of that. I foresee a system where Ubisoft is like "here's Assassin's Creed NX" and it runs on the portable side of things as you expect it would, but when you play it on the console end, it's...just the portable game scaled to a higher resolution

Combining their markets is such a fucking fascinating thing and it's hard for me to wrap my mind around the logistics of how it will all work

Also I see no reason a late 2016 release couldn't be a thing for the NX? If the console side hardware is more in line with modern machines (PS4/Xbox One), that stuff's already been standardized anyways, and a year would probably be enough time to have some stuff ready for launch

It's also the only timetable that would make sense for the new Zelda coming to NX, because I can't see them delaying the Wii U version for longer, but I also can't imagine the NX launch game at a later date being the Zelda game that everyone already played on their Wii U months ago

Well, Square-Enix is doing something similar with DQXI, so that's not outside the realm of possibility. Whether others will bother to do it on the same ecosystem (and sell only 1 copy, at that) is another question

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Imo more games would sell more copies. Taking myself as an example- im not too into handhelds but if you give me something that makes it a standard feature, ill start buying some of these portable focused games.

Im not expecting every game that would normally be a 3ds type game to start ramping up their budgets for max pretty. I would just be more likely to get those games on a unified platform. Don't think im the only one.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So much NX talk. Thank goodness this thread is almost over :lol:

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    So much NX talk. Thank goodness this thread is almost over :lol:

Just like the Wii U.

I'll see myself out.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I guess this explains why there's been that gradual trend of releasing major titles on both the 3DS and the WiiU. Tipping Stars, Hyrule Warriors, Smash, Xenoblade...

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Got Yoshi's Woolly World. It's basically Yoshi's Island except with everything made out of yarn, down to all of the usual quirks.

I'm actually kind of disappointed, I was hoping for something closer in spirit to Kirby's Epic Yarn. I guess that's my fault for not doing the research.

Man the idea of more Yoshi's Island makes me excited, especially if it's actually good.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Here's my prediction:

Base Station + Handheld. They both work independently, and can be purchased separately but all the marketing will be for a bundle, and it's what they'll heavily push.

Home system will use an AMD APU like the Xbox One and PS4, so it'll be easy for devs. Goal is for 1080p games at 60fps.
    Portable will also use an AMD APU, but a less powerful one. Goal is 540p (like Vita) at 30fps. Capacitive screen.

No discs, games are download or buy on a cart. Memory cards are dirt cheap and can carry a lot. Most Wii U games would fit on a 4.7gb DVD so they can use 8gb cards for like 90% of the game library, and a publisher/dev can go higher depending on the game. Both Home and Portable use the exact same game card, the store shelves will just have a general NES7 game section.

This let's the home system be fairly small footprint wise, and the portable should be a return to the Gameboy SP form factor. It should be a clamshell, the top half pretty much all screen, plus strip below for speakers. Bottom portion, is dpad, two circle pads, 4 buttons, home/start/select buttons. Have 4 shoulder buttons like the New 3DS. This let's you use it as a regular controller for the Home system, and obviously let's devs port Call of Duty 87 to it.

Standalone Home controllers would look like just the bottom part of the Portable, but with sticks instead of circle pads, or just use a Wii U Pro controller.

BC: emulators for everything, except Wii U. They can work on porting Wii U games to resell at a low cost, they don't have a huge first party library (though it's amazing), so they can port. That, or if they can get an emulator up to snuff (not likely, for Wii yes - see Dolphin, Wii U, no). Wii U if they get BC or remasters figured out only work with Home + Portable.

Home comes with built-in flash memory, 32-64gb, with USB ports to add on to. Portable comes with 8-16gb, with micro sd slot to expand.

If you're downloading on the console, you get the high res textures. From there you can transfer to the Portable so you aren't wasting bandwidth. If you do that, or download directly to the Portable, it only downloads the non-HD assets and textures, so it saves you space.

Sell it as a bundle for $300, or at most 350, but the XBO and PS4 are likely to be $300 next christmas. With the modest screen on the portable, even with two cpus and gpus in the package (one set for home, one for portable), it can be doable. Many phones and tablets with similar specs can be had under $100. Maybe it nets Nintendo less profit for each bundle, but I doubt it would be a loss leader.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Zelda comes out on Wii U 2nd quarter, and the "Definitive" edition on the NX when it launches at the end of 2016. If you buy digital for Wii U you get it for NX free or a reduced price if there's extra content with it.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
    Yoshi's Woolly World rules

Stuff is more carefully hidden than I thought it would be, in terms of collectibles

Easy to beat levels, a more significant time investment to get everything 100%

Really digging it

DHS Odium wrote: »
    Here's my prediction:

Base Station + Handheld. They both work independently, and can be purchased separately but all the marketing will be for a bundle, and it's what they'll heavily push.

Home system will use an AMD APU like the Xbox One and PS4, so it'll be easy for devs. Goal is for 1080p games at 60fps.
    Portable will also use an AMD APU, but a less powerful one. Goal is 540p (like Vita) at 30fps. Capacitive screen.

No discs, games are download or buy on a cart. Memory cards are dirt cheap and can carry a lot. Most Wii U games would fit on a 4.7gb DVD so they can use 8gb cards for like 90% of the game library, and a publisher/dev can go higher depending on the game. Both Home and Portable use the exact same game card, the store shelves will just have a general NES7 game section.

This let's the home system be fairly small footprint wise, and the portable should be a return to the Gameboy SP form factor. It should be a clamshell, the top half pretty much all screen, plus strip below for speakers. Bottom portion, is dpad, two circle pads, 4 buttons, home/start/select buttons. Have 4 shoulder buttons like the New 3DS. This let's you use it as a regular controller for the Home system, and obviously let's devs port Call of Duty 87 to it.

Standalone Home controllers would look like just the bottom part of the Portable, but with sticks instead of circle pads, or just use a Wii U Pro controller.

BC: emulators for everything, except Wii U. They can work on porting Wii U games to resell at a low cost, they don't have a huge first party library (though it's amazing), so they can port. That, or if they can get an emulator up to snuff (not likely, for Wii yes - see Dolphin, Wii U, no). Wii U if they get BC or remasters figured out only work with Home + Portable.

Home comes with built-in flash memory, 32-64gb, with USB ports to add on to. Portable comes with 8-16gb, with micro sd slot to expand.

If you're downloading on the console, you get the high res textures. From there you can transfer to the Portable so you aren't wasting bandwidth. If you do that, or download directly to the Portable, it only downloads the non-HD assets and textures, so it saves you space.

Sell it as a bundle for $300, or at most 350, but the XBO and PS4 are likely to be $300 next christmas. With the modest screen on the portable, even with two cpus and gpus in the package (one set for home, one for portable), it can be doable. Many phones and tablets with similar specs can be had under $100. Maybe it nets Nintendo less profit for each bundle, but I doubt it would be a loss leader.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Zelda comes out on Wii U 2nd quarter, and the "Definitive" edition on the NX when it launches at the end of 2016. If you buy digital for Wii U you get it for NX free or a reduced price if there's extra content with it.

I like everything about this post

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    NES7 is a good name. No confusuon of it being a new system there.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Who defines the standard

Wii U, PS4, and XBox One all have methods to play some/all games streamed to another device, in different ways. So the game pad must be industry standard and therefore not a gimmick?

Even if the Wii U is short range streaming, all three methods let you play elsewhere and let the wife and kids use the TV for something else, which is one of the key features.

XBox is the outlier on accelerometers in the controller, so that's industry standard, too.

Sporky, this is just getting silly. You've entered "Defend Nintendo against all forms of criticism no matter what to the point of madness territory." I mean, that happens a lot in this thread, so it's okay.

Have you gone mad though? Do you honestly not see the worlds of legitimate difference between the off screen play feature of the PS Vita and Nintendo's GamePad? I don't even know what Xbox uses for that, or that they even could.

I didn't have to buy a cost inflated PS4 because it had to come with a Vita.
    I don't need to have a Vita to turn on my PS4
    PS4 games don't force me to use the Vita's touch screen for no reason.

You're taking the fact that wireless connections and streaming both exist and are convenient parts of modern technology and warping the fact that those things are widely used into saying that the "GamePad" is an Industry Standard when that is just not true.

The difference in the controllers is that all of the PS4 games I have that use the controller in some way are uh..... well Infamous Second Son is the only one, and you turn the controller sideways to shake it like a spray paint can, before you spray paint with it. That was neat and fun, and totally part of a bonus thing you could do and not any kind of BS you had to do that got in the way of normal gameplay.

Hell the Uncharted Collection took the gimmicky "use the controller to balance Nate" out of Uncharted 1, because in hindsight they realized how stupid it was.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yoshi's Woolly World rules

Stuff is more carefully hidden than I thought it would be, in terms of collectibles

Easy to beat levels, a more significant time investment to get everything 100%

Really digging it

Good to hear. I'll be giving it a shot tonight. I loved Epic Yarn and having a game with this aesthetic in HD really pleases me. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited October 2015
    Have you gone mad though?

I don't really care either way, what's industry standard or what's gimmick. You could say that motion control was gimmick on the Wii and is now industry standard, you could say it's still a gimmick, whatever.

I just want people to call a spade a spade. If you don't like it, say you don't like it. You said you didn't want the next console to have gimmicks, but all consoles have gimmicks. They have to, from a marketing standpoint. All consoles have unique features intended to attract attention. All three of the big console manufacturers approach modern feature sets in different ways. Some of them do so with annoyances, some of them nail it, some of them do things the others don't. I was illustrating that trying to label them as gimmick or standard is pointless, because they've all got strengths and weaknesses.

So just say you don't want a screen in the controller, and I'll say I want a screen in the controller. It's not a big deal. I don't see why you feel the need to get upset about it and call other people "mad" and whatnot. I wouldn't insult your intelligence, we've both got legit opinions. Y'know?

UncleSporky on
    Polaritie wrote: »
    NES7 is a good name. No confusuon of it being a new system there.

And that's three better than Sony's offering, not to mention six better than what Microsoft is trying to push on its customers.

FU7kFbw.png
    The Nintendo Wii ds 3

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Going to need a name that identifies both units as a single platform, but with a simple addition makes it easy to talk about either the base or portable units.

Hmm.. Nintendo Double Power, with the Power Top and Power Bottom.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Nintendo X

Not only does the X imply the cross-platform capabilities, but it makes it automatically cool.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The Nintendo WiiDS

I see no problem with the pronunciation, at all.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    The Nintedo Versatile

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA