As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I only expect it to be a shitshow because it's the boss by far that gave me the most hassle. Not neccessarily too difficult, but I did kinda bruteforce it. Just run in swinging wildly and healing any time I got hit. I wasn't doing enough damage to kill the spawns as they came so it got very messy as it went on.

DPS with this SL1 build, that should not be a problem. The combo of Power Within+Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring+Crown of Dusk does lead to some absurd damage. As a test I tried it on rats in the Depths, and I was getting 1250 with the great fireball and a straight 1000 with great combustion. I wonder how extreme it could get with that ring that boosts attack at low health, though that wouldn't really work too well with the Power Within health drain effect.

I realise I'm several years late to the theorycrafting of this game. It's fun though.

dark-souls-limbo-mod.jpg?w=600

And perhaps someday I'll run it this way, who knows it might even improve the performance of the game for me.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It is perfectly reasonable to fight Manus forever and never get hit so long as you stay in the appropriate range. COmmit yourself to hitting his hands and you'll be fine, it will just take a while.

If you have pyromancy you should be OK. You might run out of spells unless you have a boosted Flame Whip and double-hit on every casting, but you'll hurt him a lot.

The Four Kings, if you're using Pyromancy, are cake. Get up in one's grill, drop a boosted Flame Whip, watch it burn.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Yeah, the flame whip does absurd damage on bosses in the right circumstances, it's pretty much the only reason I took down Nito in the first place. Actually it might well be a good plan to swap out the great combustion for the flame whip. I was using combustion because it's extremely fast, but now that I've seen Manus' attacks, I could definitely fit in a stronger-hitting pyromancy in its place. I think I'll go hunt out that silver pendant, farm up a bit of humanity and give that shit face a few more tries tonight. With the power of whiskey, I'll surely succeed!

I know it's probably a well-known strat for SL1 runs but I was quite happy when I realised with the Darkmoon Seance Ring, I could stick Power Within in the 3rd attunement slot, activate it, and then switch it out for the Bellowing Dragon Ring. Bit of an omg moment for me when I figured that one out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Holy shit that works? I didn't know that.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Sure as shit it works alright. It's a bit of a fuck-it adjustment, hoping for the best, but given that most boss fights are decided in the first minute or so, it makes a big difference.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Have you done a SL1 run Morninglord? Given that you've fisted everything in Old Londo and New Londo, I'd have assumed you've done the SL1 sometime. Fist sounds even rougher that relying on weapons as backup.

A lightning reinforced club is pretty powerful, to the extent that I might skip stat-based weapons and just use straight-up lightning and chaos weapons as my main, and use levels for vitality, endurance and int/faith as needed.

Reinforced clubs are pretty damn strong. I had about 4 of them for my SL1 run. Divine, Raw, Chaos and Lightning.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Aw shit yeah

Just got an invite to the network stress test

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    A chaos greataxe got me through my NG++ runthrough with no problems outside of a couple of manky mofos in Lost Izalith and the surrounding areas

I love big heavy weapons that scale with a stat that otherwise doesn't do much

Edit: Seriously though bring Flame Whip to the Four Kings. Huge damage to them on both hits, you can do about 35% damage to the communal healthbar before the first one fully fades out. If you do the whole thing right it will only spawn three kings total and you'll have plenty of time to heal between them

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I got a Black Knight Greataxe on one of my characters. B in scaling, but a really great moveset.

Moves really outclass DPS in most cases. Depends on what the player is comfortable with.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The Iaito moveset in Dark Souls is just really fucking amazing for playing it safe - both the one and two-hand heavy attacks advance into enemies nicely, letting you punish from a safe distance. And then they make it stronger in Dark Souls II (albeit available later).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Have you done a SL1 run Morninglord? Given that you've fisted everything in Old Londo and New Londo, I'd have assumed you've done the SL1 sometime. Fist sounds even rougher that relying on weapons as backup.

A lightning reinforced club is pretty powerful, to the extent that I might skip stat-based weapons and just use straight-up lightning and chaos weapons as my main, and use levels for vitality, endurance and int/faith as needed.

Reinforced clubs are pretty damn strong. I had about 4 of them for my SL1 run. Divine, Raw, Chaos and Lightning.

Nope! I had alllll the vitality and shit. The closest I came to it was using dragon form, which doesn't scale with anything, and red tearstone ring to beat artorias, but even then I got hit once and if I was really SL1 I would have died.

I got up to whats her face spider lady on a sl1 and then I got distracted by another game. Generally by the time I get around to doing sl1 builds in these games its because I've exhausted every other build I want to play. So I'm usually pretty burnt out!

Doing better than me!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Seath is down, Four Kings next.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Whole mess of info at the Network Stress Test page. Clears up what some of the weapon battle-arts did in some of the videos released so far, as well as how summoning will work.

Never got an email code (because it never prompted to confirm email), but managed to download the client when it was up. Hopefully that is enough.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Looking at that page, I wonder if the button mappings are going to stay as is for the english version of the game. They have the circle and X buttons swapped ala the Japanese version of Demon's Souls. I'd have to swap them back as there's no way I could get used to that. Then again, I got used to using L1 to transform weapons and triangle to heal in bloodborne.

I love the way they seem to be using the kite shield in DS3. No parrying with it, but it opens up the ability to use battle arts without 2 handing your weapon.

• Options
    You can get used to anything it just takes a little while. Couple of hours and you'll be gravy, if its a well used button less than an hour, tops.

• Options
    I'd just swap them back before I'd get used to dodging with X and talking to NPCs with circle on a Souls game, for sure. I do know I could get used to it, but I'd rather just keep it uniform.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    You can change button configs? I guess you can on pc. I wasn't aware you could on console.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    The console version of DS2 did have an option to change the jump button to the DS1 setup, but not the option to remap everything.

I'd hope if they swapped x and circle they'd leave a similar option in.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    PS4 lets you swap buttons at the console level.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    ?.jpg

Bed of Chaos next, and then onto the endgame.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »

What, for any game?
    Holy shit that's awesome.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Shimshai wrote: »
    ?.jpg

Bed of Chaos next, and then onto the endgame.

Did you kill manus?

I wont let you say you are done until you kill him you know.
    You got a list and there's a name not yet crossed out.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Oh he's on the list, I'll tackle him soon now that I've got that medallion.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What about the poor halfbreed? One of maybe... two bosses not deserving death, and the only one you can let live!

And miss out on two amazing dex weapons, but.

• Options

What, for any game?
    Holy shit that's awesome.

Yeah, it was in one of the system updates, back in March of this year or so if I recall. For example, if DS3 used the japanese circle and X swap we were talking about and you didn't want it, you could go in and change X to work as circle, and circle to work as X, and it would be that way for everything you do on the system after that.

It's one of the nice things they've done with the PS4 updates, though they need to step their game up again because all the updates lately have been for media sharing and what not and they still haven't put in some really basic stuff people have been begging for since launch, like being able to choose what's on your dashboard, categorize games in folders, etc.

• Options
    A guy who's played in the network test posted a reddit thread about new moveset stuff from DS3. Looks like they took Bloodborne's expanded movesets and took it a step further. Running R2s are jumping attacks now and you can combo out of them. Some of the battle arts give you new R1s and R2s(similar to transforms from Bloodborne), and even more stuff. I linked the thread and also pasted the content into a spoiler.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/3ozrh7/huge_new_mechanics_rolling_r2s_jump_attack_unique/
    First off, Rolling R2's are now a thing. From what I've seen, I think it cuts off the first R2 animation, doing the quicker followup R2 as the opener when coming out of a roll, but some are slightly different animations to accommodate the roll. Really powerful to use that R2 range post roll.
    Next, after you Jump attack you can combo into R1/R2 respectively. The cool thing is it isn't the combo you expect. Post Jump attack R1 for the Longsword, is the fucking roll poke stab in full speed, the R2 post jump attack I think is the post stab slash. Also since Running R2's are all Jump attacks, this allows for so many new staggering openers.
    Next we have the coolest thing, is the Battle art changing the weapon move set.
    If you used the Battle Axe Battle Cry, your R2 and R2 Charge attacks would become a totally different moveset. Instead of the simple R2 overhead smash, your character does a super spin with a AOE boom as you R2 with combo follow ups. Or if you charge it fully, you dash forward with a giant boom and hit them so hard it looks awesome. I didn't test post roll R2 in battle art mode, that's tomorrow.
    Then using Battle Arts you also had unique R1/R2 follow up moves depending on the weapon. The Sabers could L2 spin into R1 slash, or R2 to do another spin. The Greatsword L2 into R1 is a fast slash that looks like the missed backstab animation, and the R2 has a huge downward slash. Even the Longsword if you L2 to stance, then R1, you have a combo follow up from that in R1 or R2, it's crazy how smooth it feels.
    Then you have Charge Attacks from Bloodborne, same exact thing and they have their own follow up attacks of course but it seems to just be a normal R2 follow up instead of another charge attack with knockback like BB.
    Then what everyone probably knows is Running R2's now are Jump attacks and holy shit, this changes everything. Jump attacks are now as easy to land, and not only that it's the amazing distance closer combined with sprinting in distance closing. It's everything you need.
    Edit: Forgot to mention you can free run while locked on which is amazing. Lets you sprint away or at an angle even while locked on. Plus with L3 as jump, sprinting into a roll still feels amazing and it works well.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Minor point: you could free run while locked on in ds2. That was a ds2 change.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Yeah, I think because DS3 is in a lot of ways modelled after DS1 more than DS2 the guy must've forgotten that's not a new DS3 thing. It's more running R2s being jump attacks, being able to combo out of jump attacks, battle arts opening up more varied movesets, and a general Bloodborne inspired faster feel that has me excited.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I never thought I'd express this sentiment, but as long as you can't cancel moves like a Platinum game and commitment and recovery are still huge parts of the game I don't really mind what they do to the system.
    I like the methodical souls style a lot precisely because it is slow. It's analytical. Strategy and forward planning trump reflexes. It's a different flavor of action genre and it has taught me a lot about patience and self control that I have then taken into these other more hioctane balls to the wall yeehaw games and done really well with.
    So I hope these moves still require the level of thought and planning I have come to expect.
    I don't want to be able to rip through masses of zombies effortlessly, relying on intuition and reflexes only. That would not be the game I expected or asked for. They've got a different license for that.
    And, frankly, it would put it too close to these other games, which do it infinitely better, so they would come a cropper if they tried too hard.
    It doesn't sound like its turning into that but some of the descriptions of the moves sound a little unsoulsy to me. Aoe "booms" and whatnot. I'm a little concerned.

Note I said a little. Little. It means a very small amount. Whenever anyone expresses concerns like this people tend to overreact so I would like to be clear. I don't think it's going to be a bayonetta or some shit like that. Or even a Bloodborne. I'm just worried about how these options will impact the cautious atmosphere and strategy aspects of the game, that's all.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27EsyJuK3e4

Fuck me. Obviously don't watch if you want to be as pure as the driven snow. If you've seen any of the other demos though it is exactly the same limited area they've shown before. Also just like Bloodborne took some audio cues form Dark Souls, so too have they grabbed something from Bloodborne. The backstab audio is exactly the charged attack. It seems though that there's no "soul collection" animation quite yet? That's disappointing.

Overall though, despite the framerate, the game is looking amazing. Depending on how delayed he PC version is I'll probably just get it there (hopefully with Nuuvem's massive discounts).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I never thought I'd express this sentiment, but as long as you can't cancel moves like a Platinum game and commitment and recovery are still huge parts of the game I don't really mind what they do to the system.
    I like the methodical souls style a lot precisely because it is slow. It's analytical. Strategy and forward planning trump reflexes. It's a different flavor of action genre and it has taught me a lot about patience and self control that I have then taken into these other more hioctane balls to the wall yeehaw games and done really well with.
    So I hope these moves still require the level of thought and planning I have come to expect.
    I don't want to be able to rip through masses of zombies effortlessly, relying on intuition and reflexes only. That would not be the game I expected or asked for. They've got a different license for that.
    And, frankly, it would put it too close to these other games, which do it infinitely better, so they would come a cropper if they tried too hard.
    It doesn't sound like its turning into that but some of the descriptions of the moves sound a little unsoulsy to me. Aoe "booms" and whatnot. I'm a little concerned.

Note I said a little. Little. It means a very small amount. Whenever anyone expresses concerns like this people tend to overreact so I would like to be clear. I don't think it's going to be a bayonetta or some shit like that. Or even a Bloodborne. I'm just worried about how these options will impact the cautious atmosphere and strategy aspects of the game, that's all.

I know what you mean, though I'm not concerned myself. I don't think they're trying to push it anywhere close to a raw action game. I think they're just trying to bring it into the next generation of games like they did with Bloodborne. Once you play Bloodborne with its incredible movesets, using transform attacks mid combo and all that, it's something you don't want to go back from. Now I've played DS1 and DS2 again since playing Bloodborne and it's not like I don't still love those games. But I definitely hoped and am glad that they're trying to give DS3 those even more expanded movesets.

Bloodborne still plays like a Souls game, it's just more aggressive and less methodical. I think they're going for somewhere in between Dark Souls 1/2 and Bloodborne with DS3, and I'm totally good with that.

I think the Battle Axe battle art is the AOE boom you might be mentioning. Think of it like a small force miracle that also gives you a temp boost to attack power and changes your R1 and R2 to be different than their defaults.

Nothing wrong with being concerned that it might lose some of what you love about Souls games. I had the same concerns about Bloodborne, and while it is a different beast in some ways, ultimately it fits right in with the rest of the Soulsborne catalog, and from the footage we've seen of the DS3 stress test, I think the same will apply there.

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Bloodborne didn't grab me at all like the Dark Souls games have. I bought a PS3 just to play Demon's Souls. I have all the archievements in DS2 on both Xbox and PC, so I've played it a lot. I don't know what it is about Bloodborne that I don't like. Maybe it's the setting. Maybe the faster playstyle. Maybe both.

I just hope that I like DS3 as much as the other DS games and that they don't take over the bits from Bloodborne that made it boring.

Fiskebent on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Isn't this thread due for an invasion soon?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Yup this is a Dark Souls game. It looks like a very pretty DS1. The backstab and party windows are very generous, feels much more like DS1. It also seems very hard. The level in this test is enormous with a ton of branching paths. Lots of dead ends though, oddly. I wonder if parts of the level is gated off for the test.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Did anyone else who took part in the Network Test feel like the camera was off? In the other souls games it always felt as though the camera was anchored to your character. Like, no matter what, your character was always pretty much at the center of the camera, while playing this I always felt like my character was "outrunning" the camera, if that makes sense.

I got used to it eventually but it still felt really weird.

Other than that it played great. Really did feel like some kind of love child between dark souls and bloodborne.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    I must say, after watching davecontrollive's 90 minute stress test video, I have to agree with him that I really hope the level in the stress test has placeholder loot or a lot of the pathways are blocked off for the test and it'll be different in the actual game.

Because part of what makes Soulsborne games so great in general is there are usually very few dead ends that you go down and have to backtrack. The levels usually loop around pretty well so that you go off and do a side path and it drops you back out at a place in the level you've already been to so you don't constantly feel like your'e backtracking, and the stress test has a lot of dead ends with backtracking as the only option to leave them.

• Options
    On a larger scale, dead ends that are long paths tend to have bonfires to warp from at the end or something.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I must say, after watching davecontrollive's 90 minute stress test video, I have to agree with him that I really hope the level in the stress test has placeholder loot or a lot of the pathways are blocked off for the test and it'll be different in the actual game.

I'm actually expecting both of these things might be the case

Both the bloodborne network test and the dark souls 2 network test were in areas that had 2 bosses, but in the tests only had 1 with the other being blocked off

And the loot placement very much felt like they went "okay we need SOME kind of loot, let's just put throwing knives and fire bombs everywhere and two weapons in obvious places to give the testers something to mess with".

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg