As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2016 in Games and Technology
SI_WiiU_Amiibo.png

Join the PA community by having your Nintendo Network ID posted here!

READ THE SPOILER FOR INSTRUCTIONS OR YOU WON'T GET ON THE LIST!

Start by sending a PM containing your forum name/NNID to @ " MNC Dover " (remove the spaces before and after the " " marks or it won't work) to get added to the list. Please send me your info like it's shown below to make my job easier.

Also, make sure to enable your friend's list. Do this by hitting the home button on your gamepad and selecting the "friend list" icon on the far left OR going to the MiiVerse and searching for the NNID manually (recommended).

PA name/NNID
MNC Dover/MNC.Dover
Professor Snugglesworth/Pols.Voice
HallowedFaith/Cloudbomb
AngelHedgie/NoxAeternum
minor incident/minor.incident
UnbreakableVow/UnbreakableVow
Toldo/Weegian
SirUltimos/SirUltimos
urahonky/Samson
MonkeyConQueso/MonkeyConQueso
Xenogears of Bore/KingSheet
Turkey/TurkeyFried
Cloudeagle/revatt
cabbie98/cabbie98
Reynolds/RadSuit
lpburk2/lpburk2
Brainiac 8/Brainiac_8
Dritz/LostCrescendo
InvisibleInk/InvisibleInk
Khildith/Khildith
The Sneak!/TheSneak
Shadowfire/Windrunner
AbsoluteZero/AbsoluteZero
raziel_pm/RazielPrime
UncleSporky/UncleSporky
Mystic Terrapin/Ghostosaurus
MOVE IT WITH BUNMASTER!!!/spinach
Aiserou/Aiserou
Athenor/Athenor
vamen/vamenn
The_Spaniard/Span_Wolf
Warlock82/Warlock
Variable/Variable
ManetherenWolf/Manetherenwolf
Optimusbry/Optimusbry
Dracil/dracilcegon
grim123/grim123
Man of the Waves/BuckarooHoliday
BebopSamurai/BebopSamurai
maximumzero/maximumzero
Xaviar/Xaviar
OneAngryPossum/oneangrypossum
Geod/Quamel
skeldare/skeldare
Kuribo's Shoe/ShoeVonDoom
Mosez/Stormblessed
imperialparadox / imperialparadox
TheUnsane1/TheUnsane1
Sagroth/Sagroth
Agahnim / AgahnimD
Beltaine/Beltaine
LockedOnTarget/TheKruseMissile
corin7/corin7
pirateluigi/PirateLuigi
SwashbucklerXX/SwashbucklerXX
Karrmer / Karrmer
Draysoth/Draysoth1
Magic Pink/MagicPink
Mblackwell/Mblackwell
azith28/Shodan
mantis23/mantis23
RidleySaria/RidleySaria
Aoi/edison_carter
Beefjerky/Beefjerky
Beefjerky's non-PA girlfriend/Emily-Rose
Infidel/Orokos
Vicious_GSRVicious/Viciousdex
evilive72/strummer7
wallaka/wallaka
V Faction/V-Faction
TimFiji/Archpriest
Draguscloud/Dragus
TehSpectre/TehSpectre
Panax/Panax_1
BigJoeM/BigJoeM
No Great Name/SirToons
Joe Dizzy/JoeDizzy
Damagemanual/damagemanual
plufim/plufim
John Zoidberg/PAJZ83
WotanAnubis/Wotan-Anubis
Morblitz/Morblitz
H*R/WarrenMSP
draklan/Darker-Q
Chen/PAChen
Rorus Raz/Razola
louie/louieuk
dhs/dhs2004
angrysquirrel/angrysquirrel
Musiqua/Musiqua
Tpsou/TPSout
Green/AngryFrog
stlobus/Lobus42
Kafka87/Kafka87
edzepp/Edzepp
Malakaius/Malakaius
rndmhero/rndmhero
Jam Warrior/JamWarrior
losabio/losabio
Delphinidaes/delphinidaes
BronzeKoopa/hyrulefd
Grove/FallenGrove
Kaimaka/Kaimaka
Oats/Phosgene
JihadJesus/C0Y0T3_SLY
darunia106/Pirate_Burger
Conn/ConnConnor
Corpekata/Corpekata
Maz-/Maz_PA
Enlong/Enlong
Houn / DigitalArcanist
Nitsua/Nitsua16
Mr_Rose/AzarelRose
weeskwee/weeskwee
Man in the Mists/Man_in_the_mists
Spawnbroker/Spawnbroker
finalbroadcast/finalbroadcast
Toxic Toys/ToxicToys
kime/kimedelpell
ArcSyn/ArcSyn
isstasi/isstasi
Masume/Nocero
Nicopernicus/Nicopernicus
TheInspector/AnEvilHypnotist
Yukira/ModelZ
Raybies666/Raybies
Khavall/Khavall
Turambar/Turambar
Lindsey Lohan/n8littlefield
DeviousRakun/DeviousRakun
physi_marc/PhysiMarc
Raybies666/Raybies
Embassy/DJEmbassy
spookymuffin/MegaSpooky
Johnny Chopsocky/JohnnyChopsocky
FuriousJodo/FuriousJodo
Nova_C/Nova_Collision
Descendant X/HankFacepunch
Mr_Grinch / mrgrinchx
Zython/zython
SilentRoughWater/TJandSam
Senor_Queso/ElQuesoUno
Emerlmaster999/MisterBeeb
Figgy/Figgy3

Some important notes/tips from PA posters to help smooth out your initial Wii U experience.
1) Improving Wifi performance
-- It looks like the WII U has some issues with DHCP and automatic configuration of wifi. If you know how, manually enter your IP information into the Wii U, setting the IP Address, Subnet, and gateway to match your DHCP settings but in an area that the modem isn't giving out (up around 240-250 is usually safe). Then manually set DNS - if you don't know it, use 8.8.8.8 (google's DNS). This allowed things to work much better for me.

2) Opting in to friend requests must be done before you can receive friend requests. Do this by hitting the Home button, tapping on Friend List orange button on the left, tap on Settings, enable friend requests.

3) Why the Friends Lists are like they are:

--I wouldn't be surprised if the Miiverse servers really are integral to the Wii U's experience, and timeouts were what was causing the lag.

--Also, I think I've figured out how friend invites work, and why there are 2 different ways to enter them.

--Miiverse: Social integration. You have to opt in to allow friend requests on Miiverse (which at least 4 people in the OP haven't done, *cough cough*) . If you allow friend requests in that, then you'll get notifications when people add you through it, which can be due to profile posts or from playing with other people or all that jazz.

--If, however, you don't want the world to be able to add you, you can just have friends add you via mutual NNID exchange. This is where someone puts in your NNID into their console, and you are not informed about it... But if you put their NNID in as well, then voila! You have each other as friends. (This is how I added the 4 people in the OP who didn't have their friend requests turned on).

--So basically, Nintendo's created two avenues to add friends that are NOT mutually exclusive and can be used as a gatekeeper. If you want the world to be your friend, awesome! If you don't want the world up in your grill but you still want the ability to add friends, awesome! If you want the whole world to leave you alone, go for it.

4) The home button takes a screen shot. Once the home menu is up, you can jump to the miiverse and post it in a comment there. If you don't post it, it's gone as soon as you go back to the game, to be replaced with a new one next time you hit Home.

5) Game updates can be downloaded in the background. If you click the "Start Game" button it will begin background downloading. Then you can do whatever you want while the game update downloads. I don't know if it specifically downloads while you are in the game you're downloading for, but it definitely does if you quit out of it. There is also a "Download Manager" app on the Home button where you can see what it's doing with the downloads.

uEPQ1.png
Do not get attached to this thread. At some point after the Wii U launches (probably after the first holiday season), the thread will be retired. Okay, at this point it's obvious the Wii U Thread has gotten a stay of execution. This is because the system is doing terribly and there'd be practically no Wii U talk without this thread. Do not point to this thread if we decide to shut down the mega thread for some other console. Instead, take solace in knowing your hardware isn't struggling to beat the PS Vita in sales each month. Having said that, the mod staff reserves the right to shut this thread down whenever it deems fit. Especially if behavior becomes routinely toxic.

I'd like this note in every future Wii U thread.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I still maintain that Nintendo WiiDS is a great, no way that can be taken the wrong way, name for the next console.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I still maintain that Nintendo WiiDS is a great, no way that can be taken the wrong way, name for the next console.

For maximum confusion they should have Mary-Louise Parker do a bunch of commercials for it.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm watching videos of Yoshi's Woolly World and my hype levels are at max.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    This thread title is lying, Wii U virtual console is sorely lacking in (Mr) Gimmicks:
    gfs_59409_2_6.jpg

:p

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    This looks like a weird, creepy version of Kiwi Kraze.

• Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    For some reason my pre-order of Yoshi's Wooly World hasn't shipped yet and isn't expected to arrive here until October 23-October 30 :(

Guess I'll just keep playing Lego Dimensions...

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    This looks like a weird, creepy version of Kiwi Kraze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcf2yUgblc

Watch with annotations. I am still mad VC didn't get this, esp. after Uforia was put on there.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

It's like the outfits in Bayonetta 2. But somehow even more inappropriate.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Uh except the costumes in Bayonetta were rad as fuck

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Wooly World is amazing guys. Like the most adorable, amazing, fun game ever.

Yoshi murders more innocent shy guys than you can count. Him and Kirby are the true villains of their stories.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Seriously, Woolly World helps make me forget the bad that was New Island.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Given the unlockable outfits in the Japanese release, I vastly prefer these costumes.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Uh except the costumes in Bayonetta were rad as fuck

I misspoke. I should have said "out of place" instead of "inappropriate". Things can be out-of-place and be cool, tool.

Edit:
    skeldare wrote: »
    Seriously, Woolly World helps make me forget the bad that was New Island.

Yeah, this feels like the first true successor to Yoshi's Island. DS came close, but something was...off about the level design. I will say that a nice feature is that to 100% a level, you don't have to do it in one run, which is nice. Though I do hope there's a badge later on that can help you find stamp tokens.

Zython on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

The Fatal Frame games have always had extra costumes that you can unlock for subsequent playthroughs. Hopefully these supplement the costumes from the original release rather than replace them, but I suspect NoA will try to pretend that the original release outfits don't exist.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Edit: Double Post.

Zython on
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I liked Woolly World more than Mario Maker. It's got a bunch of fun ideas and co-op that works with young kids. It's very easy to get through the levels, especially with the badge system. But I found that I was having fun regardless; especially when playing with a friend.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Do we finally have a proper successor to Yoshi's Island in Wooly World? I don't want to believe it, my heart has been broken by this series too many times!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Do we finally have a proper successor to Yoshi's Island in Wooly World? I don't want to believe it, my heart has been broken by this series too many times!

Yep, it's the best Yoshi game since Yoshi's Island. Personally I think it doesn't quite reach its level, but it comes very, very close.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

The Fatal Frame games have always had extra costumes that you can unlock for subsequent playthroughs. Hopefully these supplement the costumes from the original release rather than replace them, but I suspect NoA will try to pretend that the original release outfits don't exist.

Well, NoA pretends that the internet doesn't exist and no one knows about games or their features in other regions.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Well, NoA pretends that the internet doesn't exist and no one knows about games or their features in other regions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5tcAXMDxfY

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm just thankful that when they discovered DLC, they mostly actually got it right in their first party offerings.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm just thankful that when they discovered DLC, they mostly actually got it right in their first party offerings.

Maybe I'm biased, but I think they've done it better then anyone else out there. So much content/value for the price. Perhaps that is because they are playing from behind or just how they view DLC to be. Never know what the Big N is thinking. :P

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I'd have to disagree on them doing DLC better, but they are offering some great stuff. Mario Kart 8's DLC was very good! I generally prefer story DLC, but I guess that's not really applicable to Nintendo titles. For what they're offering it's super solid content.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Honestly, what games do they have that could make for good story DLC? Maybe a new Zelda dungeon/area that has a side storyline to the main game? It would probably give you something unimportant to the main game, like a new tunic.
    An Amiibo tunic. Swipe an Amiibo to have Link's colors on his outfit change to match the Nintendo character.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    And to be fair, they also do the literal worse DLC out there at the same time with rare as heck amiibos that are under produced for demand that unlock unique in-game characters or story content. That starts at expensive $12 DLC, but might be as high as $50 once the resellers get to them when they sell out on the first day. The Fire Emblem amiibos are the best example of this.

It's a sharp contrast with how good the Mario Kart and Smash normal DLC are.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Story content? In what? The worst Amiibo-locked content I can recall is the Link Amiibo for the Spinner weapon in Hyrule Warriors, and the 8-bit Mario Amiibo for the Mega Mushroom in Mario Maker.

Oh, and the Inkling Amiibos for additional minigames in Splatoon.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Inkling Amiibo were easily the worst. Each amiibo practically doubles the single-player content, right? Not only can you unlock unique weapons by completing the challenges, but the challenges themselves vastly increase the value of the game. On-disk, locked content that you'll be lucky to ever see even if you want to pay the price.

• Options
    I'd say the minigames they unlock are worth more than the weapons or armor, as those are reskins of equipment you can already get.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I think Nintendo's DLC has been mixed. Mario Kart 8 had amazing DLC. A bunch of new tracks, characters and a great value. Smash is not quite as good. In fact, I haven't bothered to pick up any of the Smash DLC except for my free Mewtwo. Ryu is cool because he's a genuinely new character and he comes with a new stage. But that's just one. Almost all the rest have been returning stages and characters, something I don't feel particularly excited about paying for. I understand that work was involved in updating these things for the new game but I didn't play as those characters to begin with - so why would I pay that much for them? It would all go down a little easier if Smash had a season pass like Mario Kart. Mii costumes are also worthless to me since I never play as Miis. I'd be much more inclined to pay for alt costumes for the characters I care about. Green hair purple spandex Samus? Yes please! Business suit Mii? Errr....

The "on disc DLC" associated with amiibo I have mixed feelings about. If you just want the extras and don't care about collecting amiibo, yeah it's a pretty rotten deal. However I can see a big Nintendo fan having a completely different outlook because a single amiibo can unlock content across multiple games. Most toys to life only function within a single series of games. I would probably collect amiibo whether or not they unlock extras because I want figurines of obscure Nintendo characters. Little additional content is just a nice bonus. But I can see that being annoying from someone else's perspective.

I would like a little more functionality out of the amiibo though. For the most part they just sit on my shelf after I unlock the little extras. A toybox style amiibo game would be fantastic. Nothing serious or super elaborate.... just something fun to play. Boring as dirt Animal Crossing amiibo board game is NOT what I had in mind.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I have a friend who thinks $5 per Smash DLC character is too much, ahaha. I think it's fine considering they had to spend extra time after finishing the game and they keep balancing the game even after all this time.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Smash DLC is...

Look, DLC for Miis is super dumb, in any form

It was dumb that amiibo just unlocked outfits for your Mii in MK8 too

Miis are dumb

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Inkling Amiibo were easily the worst. Each amiibo practically doubles the single-player content, right? Not only can you unlock unique weapons by completing the challenges, but the challenges themselves vastly increase the value of the game. On-disk, locked content that you'll be lucky to ever see even if you want to pay the price.

You're over selling it by a mile. The challenges are literally just the same single player levels but with a different weapon type. It doesn't change it very much at all, and it's not all the levels either.

• Options
    Mii fighter costumes that are just "make your character look like a character who's already playable" is dumb.

Especially when it drives home the fact that a Mii with the Samus outfit and Samus's specials is a better fighter than Samus. That's just cruel.

Costumes for other characters who aren't playable is fine. I made a Colette Mii and gave her the Lloyd outfit.

• Options
    Miis are dumb

I don't like myself in real life, why would I want to insert myself into my escapism? ;P

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    My Miis don't tend to be mii me, anyway. But only Smash has really inspired me to make other characters either.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Dirty wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »

You're over selling it by a mile. The challenges are literally just the same single player levels but with a different weapon type. It doesn't change it very much at all, and it's not all the levels either.

"Doubles" i guess similar to the value of being able to play the same game again with a different character, like Jeanne in Bayonetta. The game gets very different if you're forced to do everything with the roller, especially since the game was designed for the SMG.

Edit: I skipped Miis in Smash because they're (for good reason) banned from online play with randoms, and knowing that was going to be most of my time with the game, i never bothered to make them.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    Miis in Mario Kart 8 are surprisingly fun to play with, especially with amiibo costumes..

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Yeah, but Miis aren't Bowser. Or Link.

• Options
    My Mii doesn't look as good in a racing suit as Rosalina. :(