As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PHALLA] Death Note :: Game Over

NearNear Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Critical Failures
This ODAM Phalla is based on the Death Note series. If you are not familiar with Phalla, it is PA's special blend of Mafia, check out previous Phalla threads if need be. If you are not familiar with Death Note, don't worry. It's not required, but to be honest it likely will help a bit.

This is a hidden mechanics game. This is where knowledge of the series is most helpful. However, I expect there will be quite a lot of speculation publicly about roles from those who are in-the-know, so this should lessen the gap.

Infidel is your host. The Shinigami account will be for clarifications and housekeeping, so if you have any questions at any time you can post or PM. The Near account is for narrations and will receive all orders. If it impacts the game, it goes to Near. Ardor has tried to break my game and given sound advice, and if necessary he will help cover hosting duties.

RULES

Each day will last 24 hours. The day ends at 11:00pm EST. Posts and private messages on or after 11:00pm EST will be considered part of the next day.

Actions are to be PM'd to Near.

Do not share any PM's from the host with other players, or otherwise try to prove yourself on technicalities that validate information as coming directly from the host. (i.e. "this image links to the GM's image webhost") It should be up to the player to earn trust, not use the host's materials to earn it.

Every day detectives will !vote a player to be confined in a cell. Retractions are not necessary, your last vote will count. Edited posts will not be counted for votes, make sure your vote is reposted if you must edit. This of course means you must repost to change your vote. Confinement does not expire.

It is in everyone's interest to check the thread now and then. Events will be frequent in this game. The time they start may vary, but they will never end before day close, so as long as you can check towards closer to vote close you will be fine.

Everyone will receive the detective PM, do not read anything into who it is addressed to.

Requests for clarifications should be made in a PM to Shinigami or posted here in orange bold

Clarifications

The rules that you may know of the Death Note have been adapted to Phallasize em.

Events can be optional. As always, go with your interpretation of things, there are no required actions unless I state otherwise.

Confinement and death both remove the player from play. Players removed from the game should not communicate anything regarding it. There will be no dead thread.

Narrations

Day 1 - narration event
Day 2 - narration event
Day 3 - narration event
Day 4 - narration event
Day 5 - narration event
Day 6 - narration event
Day 7 - narration event
Day 8 - narration event
Day 9 - narration event
Day 10 - narration event
Day 11 - narration event
Day 12 - narration event
Day 13 - narration event
Final - narration

Player List

01. jdarksun - dead from gunshot wound - Day 7
02. OtakuD00D- dead from fatal accident - Day 11
03. Raakam - dead from penetrating trauma - Day 5
04. Brainleech - dead from cardiac arrest - Day 13
05. DevoutlyApathetic - dead from electrocution - Day 9
06. Savant - dead from fatal accident - Day 10
07. Zzulu - confined - Day 1
08. giltanis - confined - Day 3
09. Mr. Embarkation - dead from allergic reaction - Day 2
10. Garick - dead from cardiac arrest - Day 13
11. Aldo - dead from blast injuries - Day 5
12. cj iwakura- confined - Day 11
13. Jester313 - dead from fatal accident - Day 3
14. Gumpy - dead from gunshot wound - Day 8
15. Nion - confined - Day 7
16. Niceguy Myeye - dead from cervical fracture - Day 7
17. Vic
18. Romantic Undead - dead from blast injuries - Day 5
19. Plutonium - dead from blast injuries - Day 5
20. LCC_Next_up - dead from gunshot wound - Day 8
21. Abysmal Lynx - dead from cardiac arrest - Day 13
22. NATIK - dead from cardiac arrest - Day 12
23. Saburbia- dead from penetrating trauma - Day 11
24. Zot - dead from blast injuries - Day 5
25. thorgot - dead from self-inflicted gunshot - Day 6
26. Squashua - dead from electrocution - Day 3
27. PsychoCucumber - dead from cardiac arrest - Day 13
28. El Skid - dead from gunshot wound - Day 8
29. Durax - dead from cardiac arrest - Day 13
30. MrBlarney - dead from gunshot wound - Day 13
31. cheez - dead from cardiac arrest - Day 5
32. Qorzm - confined - Day 10
33. life3 - dead from self-defenestration - Day 2
34. Shamus - dead from gunshot wound - Day 1
35. Buzz Buzz - dead from anaphylactic shock - Day 4
36. B:L - confined - Day 2
37. tuxkamen - dead from cardiac arrest - Day 6
38. Asukui - confined - Day 7
39. Rend - dead from blast injuries - Day 5
40. PRËTËNTIÖüS - confined - Day 9
41. Crono729 - dead from asphyxiation - Day 10
42. iamtheaznman - dead from brain aneurysm - Day 1
43. FreeAgent - confined for inactivity - Day 6
44. Hakkekage - dead from head trauma - Day 4
45. Grundlterror - confined for inactivity - Day 6
46. Obbi - confined - Day 12
47. Gorilla Salad - dead from gunshot wound - Day 8
48. Hylianbunny - confined - Day 8
49. TehSpectre - confined - Day 4
50. Typhus733 - confined - Day 6

Near on

• NearNear Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kira.

The name known throughout the world. A Japanese mass murderer known by the mangling of pronouncing "killer". It all started several years ago, when criminals died of heart attacks suddenly and inexplicably. Soon it was clear that they were being targeted. People feared and praised Kira. Supporters and denouncers sprung up everywhere. Media focused on his celebrity. Eventually he addressed the world. Kira was set to "cleanse this rotting world of evil", and continued to purge criminal after criminal.

Eventually it was deduced that Kira could only kill you if he had a face and a name. But that did not make the killings any less real or frequent, and bit by bit the world turns to support his ideal.

The police and investigative teams from all over worked on the case. But Kira would kill more than just criminals. He would slay all those who defied him. Eventually there were not many with the conviction to pursue him. This Kira investigation team is the last of the Japanese police who are willing to put their life on the line to catch a crazed killer.

The investigation headquarters took up several floors, providing a relatively comfortable environment. Living quarters, offices, briefing rooms, kitchens. The team lived and breathed the Kira case. Details were highly classified, including who is on the team, due to the extreme risk taken by every member. Only the team knows who and what is involved in the Kira case.

It has been an arduous and tragic investigation. Many members have lost their lives in the pursuit of Kira over the years. The worst blow of all was the death of "L", the top detective in all the world who led the Japanese police in their investigation. The team trudges on, following leads and compiling data, hoping to find some clue to Kira's identity. But the loss of L has wounded the morale and enthusiasm of everyone. Today there only remains fifty detectives working together.

Among the breakthroughs made in this case, the biggest has to be the retrieval of a Death Note. Unbeknown to anyone outside the team, the Death Note is the instrument of Kira. It is how he kills with only a name. The person whose name is written will die. It remains locked in a coded safe, property of the team and divulger of several secrets that help the police. Not only did the Death Note bring in information, it also brought a guest. A shinigami, a death god! All those who have touched the note can see it, and all those on the team have touched it.

It is late in the evening. The chief has called a general meeting and everyone gathers in the largest of the briefing rooms. A tension hangs over the crowd, abnormally quiet for this many. When all have assembled, the chief stands and takes up a position at the head of the team.

"Everyone. We have been contacted by another organization. The Secret Provision for Kira, or the SPK. The leader of which purports to be the successor to L." The detectives murmur with their neighbours. "He says he is working with the FBI and US government on the Kira case, and wishes to establish the sharing of investigative research. The US officials back up his claims."

The chief clears his throat. "He has a vital message to be shared with us all." He turns to the side and a detective at the door dims the lights. The screen at the front wall lights up, on it a wash of white with a large black "N" dead center.

The speakers crackle as a modulated voice starts. "This is N of the SPK. I know the secret of L's death, for I am his successor. Your team will bring about the end of the Kira case very soon. That is, because one of you is Kira."

The team starts to banter at this, many with confused looks, some shouting in protest. A detective shoots from his chair. "What?! Who are you to say such things?" The chief glares at him.

"Sit down, Squashua-san" the chief admonishes with a gruff voice. "Let him finish."

The voice behind the "N" continues. "Indeed. It is certain that Kira is among your men, I have sent along my findings behind this to verify yourself. With your cooperation, we will finally catch Kira."

The chief nods and continues the line. "We will all confine ourselves to headquarters. Continue your work and investigations, we will methodically deduce which one of us is Kira. Everyone will be tested including myself. We will confine one person each night at 11pm, and given the 23 hour rule we can deduce in a day's span if that person is Kira if the killing stops. I expect all of you to comply, this is for the good of us all and indeed the world. Confinement will hold until this case is closed."

The room argues with each other, questioning the plan. FreeAgent speaks out, "Why wouldn't Kira stop killing to frame someone else?"

"Because," N speaks, "now we are at the moment of truth. The pressure will mean Kira cannot stop now, he must carry on or be caught."

FreeAgent, his face growing pale, "Then doesn't that mean he'll just target-"

The chief grimaces in pain and clutches his shirt. He tumbles to the floor, detectives at the front rushing to his aide.

"CHIEF!"

Near on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bring it Kira, you sick motherfucker

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    What I'm not sick

Obbi on
    edited October 2007
    Oh I heard you had the flu

Hakkekage on
    edited October 2007
    I MEAN RRRRGH

Obbi on
    edited October 2007
    Well I guess you don't want your vaccination then huh

Hakkekage on
    edited October 2007
    If I say yes he'll know I'm sick

but if I say no what will he say when I cough

maybe I'll say yes, an explain that it's just something in advance

it is getting to be the flu season after all

but what if he knows that we're Australia and it's not anywhere near the flu season

I never should've killed that kangaroo, I knew it wasn't L in disguise

Obbi on
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Have we all had our shots for Heart Attack? No? Uh oh.

cheez on
    edited October 2007
    It's all very simple see

If he doesn't want to die he needs to get the shot

But if he wants to live he needs to stay hidden and not leave the premises

But if he wants the shot he'll have to come forward as Kira

Why

Because of

Something

That I figured out 30 chapters ago

:|

Hakkekage on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So I'm guessing the lack of a role PM is normal? Ominous.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2007
    Was sort of assuming they were yet to come.

cheez on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Avatar... update! Now with 60% more fun.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2007
    PM's will be going out in a few minutes.

Near on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I so have to stay up now to see my role PM.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
    edited October 2007
    so I guess he's giving out everybody the Detective PM first, then sending out the individual "har you're a dick" role PMs afterwards

it's a pretty good move, makes it to where good guys can't validate the bad guys by PM roles.

Obbi on
    edited October 2007
    Also he specifically stated everybody would get the detective PM. You know. In the OP.

cheez on
    edited October 2007
    Oh Blarney <3

Hakkekage on
    edited October 2007
    PM's sent.

Near on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cheez wrote: »
    Also he specifically stated everybody would get the detective PM. You know. In the OP.

Still a good move! Makes for great drama and all that jazz.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    oh man here it comes

Day 1 bandwagon

who's gonna die pointlessly tonight

Obbi on
    edited October 2007
    If you setup any boards for communication, send me a link in PM please.

Near on
    edited October 2007
    Indeed. Who will throw the first stone, and against whom will they direct their vote toward? From the look of the mechanics, voting for someone may not necessarily kill them (only lock them up temporarily), but who knows. Gotta find someone who will take the first hit...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I !throw the first stone at MrBlarney for the hell of it.

Hylianbunny on
  • ShinigamiShinigami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The rules that you may know of the Death Note have been adapted to Phallasize em.

Mainly I changed things to make it fit the day cycle of Phalla. You can infer them from the narration likely.

Shinigami on
    edited October 2007
    Right. The 23-hour limit thing (rather than 23-day limit) makes it so that Kira can't be devious and delay his kills, which is probably a good thing for the police force. Not that having deaths on a regular basis is particularly good, either.

I'll return Hylianbunny's serve with a vote right back... I !vote Hylianbunny for confinement.

What a wonderful start.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2007
    !vote cheez because I don't feel like dealing with hard reading this phalla

Obbi on
    edited October 2007
    Hey, you speculated as to who would throw the first stone. I simply responded. :P

Hylianbunny on
    edited October 2007
    Fair enough. Now that we have that answer, the game can move on properly. So, shall we agree on a mutual target for disaffection?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So... those of us who have no idea how the Death Note functions have an advantage? :?

And <3, Blarney.
    Though I also really liked the Haruhi one you came up with before

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2007
    Well, it depends.

We know how it functions in the manga; we don't necessarily know how that translates to Phalla. I'd guess it works similarly to Lanfear (three 'vigilante' kills or so), perhaps with an additional bonus if contact is made with a certain person. It's also entirely possible that Kira has supporters.

Hylianbunny on
    edited October 2007
    Does it take a certain length of time for someone to die?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2007
    Forty seconds, usually. I'd guess that for Phalla mechanics, it will just happen at narration.

Hylianbunny on
    edited October 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So... those of us who have no idea how the Death Note functions have an advantage? :?

Possibly. Knowing how things work can help, but if you base your actions on assumptions which turn out to be false well then that could be bad. It's not easy to say how this could come up since I know not only know Death Note but all of the Phalla details. :P

It is in everyone's interest to check the thread now and then. Events will be frequent in this game. The time they start may vary, but they will never end before day close, so as long as you can check towards closer to vote close you will be fine.

Shinigami on
    edited October 2007
    Hrm.

Shinigami, I'll give you a bushel of apples to reveal the identity of Kira.

>_>

Either way, unless we get a day one reveal there's not a whole lot we can plan for until we see how a typical day might progress.

Hylianbunny on
  • GarickGarick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmmmm... interesting, it would be nice to clear up if its just a 1 day lockout for the player you vote for and if they are not キラ get released... for now i will just treat it as death as that seems most likely. でも、 だれがキラかな。 well... after looking over the suspects I find that Rend just plain looks suspicious. !vote Rend for confinement

Garick on
    edited October 2007
    A bilingualist? There's a way to talk in secret.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2007
    Now that it comes to mind...

What might happen if Kira meets someone with Shinigami eyes? I doubt something like that would be left out.

Let's show him...that the good guys always win.

Hylianbunny on
    edited October 2007
    Garick wrote: »
    でも、 だれがキラかな。

"But, who is Kira?"

Nothing abusive in there, but please either post translations with non-English words or do not post non-English. It generally annoys people in Phalla because it's a hassle to translate if you don't know it but it's not really secret so it's likely harmless but is it? etc.

And as far as everyone is concerned, confinement is permanent as per the narration.

Shinigami on
    edited October 2007
    "Confinement will hold until this case is closed."

Okay, missed that.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That, and... well. Posting in another language makes people horribly suspicious. :/

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg