As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I haven't seen a Halo 5 ad yet

Granted I don't watch TV because who does anymore but I figured I'd at least see some YouTube ads or something

Instead I'm just constantly seeing the same ad for a shitty Vin Diesel witch hunter movie *shrug*

And I picked up a 12 pack of Dew yesterday that had Black Ops 3 emblazoned on it, and I remember thinking how that was Halo's thing once upon a time

I don't know, Halo 3's hype felt absolutely massive, enough to get me, a non-Halo fan, to buy it on release (luckily I ended up enjoying it quite a bit)

Now I can wander into a GameStop, where I should be absolutely inundated with ads for it, and I'm not, so it's at the same point as Assassin's Creed where I forgot it was even releasing in October

EDIT: speaking of which, where's the Halo thread? I can't find one on the first couple pages. Wanted to see what the hype levels are like here

EDIT again: found it, the last post was ten days ago. For a new Halo game! This is kinda what I mean

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Vinny: Oh yeah we're gonna take a Castlevania break...
    b1iwvn472fyf.png

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Vinny: Oh yeah we're gonna take a Castlevania break...
    b1iwvn472fyf.png

drew wanted to take a metal gear break and also not do mgs5 on stream as well.

jobs gonna job

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Huh? Drew always wanted to do MGSV for the site.

They just weren't sure if they should do it so soon after release. They were originally going to wait a while before deciding "fuck it".

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Finally Vinny is playing a good Castlevania game.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Finally Vinny is playing a good Castlevania game.

You mean a Castlevania game FOR BABIES
    Nah, it's one of my favorites too, although it is pretty easy overall aside from one or two stages.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I just don't think I can do Halo anymore after 4. I played a crapton of 1-3 and was surprised at how much I liked Reach

Then I played like half of 4 and thought it was boring and the levels were poorly designed and the new enemies were lame and I never beat it

pft surprised
    reach is secretly the best halo game

bums me out it's not part of the MCC, especially since they added ODST

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone at Bungie will play Halo 5.

I wonder if many people will play Halo 5 at all

There seems to be zero hype surrounding it

Yeah. Millions of people, in fact.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Finally Vinny is playing a good the best Castlevania game.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Well from what I'm gathering, I think it's a CBSi legal issue? And not a personal legal issue (though Jeff wasn't happy about it). So Dan might have loved it, but still would have had to get the trailer changed.

edit: I don't think Jeff would have demanded Dan denounce it, but it's still a weird situation. I'm not saying Dan lacks journalistic ethics.

I don't think these are real counterpoints, but keep in mind with Dan:
    -Dan, while still a journalist, was face scanned and placed into multiple video games. That data probably is sitting in an asset archive somewhere, the only solace is that it might be too low resolution to dig back up and reuse. Of course, the experience itself is newsworthy to write about, it probably made a great article about how the tech works.

-At pax east Jeff kind of pushed(as in said multiple times) that Dan couldn't take Dave Lang's cash he put up for the game show where they try to make Dan act like an adult.(Dave and someone else asked him trivia questions about being an adult, each one he got right, they put money in a cash tornado machine that dan could stand in for 1 minute and keep what he grabbed).

Dan in the trailer would probably demand that he was cannon and part of the WWE after seeing his character in a trailer.

The only part of this I agree with is that those aren't real counterpoints. I'm pretty sure Dan understands the difference between volunteering to do dumb shit and having a character you created plastered into the marketing materials for a video game franchise that you hate.

admanb on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Finally Vinny is playing a good the best Castlevania game.

This is obviously incorrect.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I just don't think I can do Halo anymore after 4. I played a crapton of 1-3 and was surprised at how much I liked Reach

Then I played like half of 4 and thought it was boring and the levels were poorly designed and the new enemies were lame and I never beat it

pft surprised

Is that a secret? I thought that was a fairly widely held opinion.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Hardtarget wrote: »

pft surprised

Is that a secret? I thought that was a fairly widely held opinion.

seems like people always say 3 is the best, i dunno, peach doesn't have masterchief which maybe makes people mad?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    how many Vinnyvanias until they get to SOTN

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I mean, Reach has a jet pack while the others don't (not sure about 4), so it's automatically the best one.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    So when does Patrick leak Jeff's racist sex tape so the WWE can remove him?
    Jeff just hates the idea of his daughter dating a Yoshi.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

I would imagine most people are against bestiality.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

To be fair, Jeff did hire a monster that consumes junk that sometimes gets spit back out to disgusting effect.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

To be fair, Jeff did hire a monster that consumes junk that sometimes gets spit back out to disgusting effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCvbtydXmxs

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

Depends how deep they want to go. They could either go for Genesis CV or Rondo on PSP/Wii VC/Snes VC.

EDIT: Rondo for SNES is way different than the PC Engine game.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options

Depends how deep they want to go. They could either go for Genesis CV or Rondo on PSP/Wii VC/Snes VC.

EDIT: Rondo for SNES is way different than the PC Engine game.

I do hope they at least play Rondo, preferably the Wii VC version.

• Options
    edited October 2015

Wow

edit: Apparently that news network is basically some sort of Fox News knockoff? Heh

SteevL on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    DANNY O'DWYER HOW DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND HOW MORSE CODE WORKS

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    That's a good stock photo to use for Dan Ryckert. I think it would be hard to find a bad one, actually.

"Rival Journalist", eh? That's him, old Danny "Scoops" Ryckert.

Aistan on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    The "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" Quick Look is mandatory viewing.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

Really great ending

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Dan Ryckert, a noted journalist of a rival video game website.

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Ah, the sweet, sweet mustaches of Rival Video Game Website.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Wow

edit: Apparently that news network is basically some sort of Fox News knockoff? Heh

Scene: network office

Boss: What are you watching on your computer, Jenkins?

Jenkins: Uhhhh... research! *Alt tabs out of Youtube*

Boss: Have the story on my desk by this afternoon!

Seriously, though, it's an amazing achievement

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    holy shit i love how this ended up on a 24/7 super right right news site of all places

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

Really great ending

I love the moment where they realize Jeff is probably not the best person to have describing colors.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options

So many great moments, but one of my favorites was:

"OK. What's the word at the bottom right say?"
    "Wait."

Best seen in context, of course.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen a Halo 5 ad yet

Granted I don't watch TV because who does anymore but I figured I'd at least see some YouTube ads or something

Instead I'm just constantly seeing the same ad for a shitty Vin Diesel witch hunter movie *shrug*

And I picked up a 12 pack of Dew yesterday that had Black Ops 3 emblazoned on it, and I remember thinking how that was Halo's thing once upon a time

I don't know, Halo 3's hype felt absolutely massive, enough to get me, a non-Halo fan, to buy it on release (luckily I ended up enjoying it quite a bit)

Now I can wander into a GameStop, where I should be absolutely inundated with ads for it, and I'm not, so it's at the same point as Assassin's Creed where I forgot it was even releasing in October

EDIT: speaking of which, where's the Halo thread? I can't find one on the first couple pages. Wanted to see what the hype levels are like here

EDIT again: found it, the last post was ten days ago. For a new Halo game! This is kinda what I mean

Halo hype is dead around these parts. I don't know about the greater Halo community, but around the parts I (used to) frequent, most folks are down on what 343i's been doing since they took over. 343i goes out of their way to put their own stamp on Halo, but often to the point of alienating fans of the older games. The biggest example is their garbage art style. Everything looks different for the sake of looking different, while not looking particularly good on its own. It gives the impression that 343i doesn't have any respect for Bungie's Halo. And that's a great way to build resentment in a (formerly) passionate fanbase.

Halo 4 in particular (despite selling incredibly well) lost a lot of love, coming after Reach. Everyone loved Reach. It was Bungie's final Halo game, and they put their heart and soul into it, not to mention tons and tons of content. Halo 4 was a massive step back. The beloved Firefight mode? Gone. Invasion? Gone. Playable Elites? Gone. Skulls and campaign scoring? Gone. Campaign saved films? Gone. The enemy, vehicle and weapon variety were all a step back. The story was godawful. There wasn't much love for 343i's new promethean enemies, and the promethean weapons were all little more than reskins of other weapons. Spartan Ops was a failed experiment. Adding CoD-like progression systems, loadouts and supply drops did nothing but further alienate fans.

In general there is a lot of distrust towards 343i. Much of it is well-earned, such botching the Master Chief Collection so heavily. Or filling the Spartan Assault game with disgusting microtransactions. Or filling Halo 5 with microtransactions! Or the time they botched one of the Halo 4 map packs by accidentally making it free for everyone, then spun the situation as a previously unmentioned promotional period rather than owning up to a simple mistake. Or when they first started and one of their first decisions (which they thankfully backed off from) was to shut down the Halo Wars website and the stat tracking therein. Or their controversial (and messy, poorly implemented) Reach balance patch right after they took over. Or...

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

So many great moments, but one of my favorites was:

"OK. What's the word at the bottom right say?"
    "Wait."

Best seen in context, of course.

When they were flipping through the book I saw that that section was called "Who's On First", and that was the point I realised why :)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    My wife and I have been playing Keep Talking for the last few nights.

It's a delightful, delightful game. I worried it would fall too far into the easy or hard side of things, but it's got an extremely good balance. We're a well-oiled bomb-defusing machine, but one miscommunication will still cost us. We've been playing in separate but adjacent rooms, and it works really well. Such a great idea. She described it as a two-player Spaceteam except you're not expected to lose, which is spot-on.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Wow

Hahahaah.. I love that they used the Roller Coaster video for Dan's picture.

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »

The Chrono Trigger and Persona 4 Endurance Runs are great, but long. .

No mention of the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run?

That one got me through the first months of being a father. 4am wake up feeding times were spent with him having a bottle and me sitting on the couch watching every episode.

Swery fan for life now.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Looks like Rock Band 4 did not blow Jeff away

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    -At pax east Jeff kind of pushed(as in said multiple times) that Dan couldn't take Dave Lang's cash he put up for the game show where they try to make Dan act like an adult.(Dave and someone else asked him trivia questions about being an adult, each one he got right, they put money in a cash tornado machine that dan could stand in for 1 minute and keep what he grabbed).

I thought Dave Lang was the one who said right after it was over that it was a major ethical violation to take any of the money, and thus he was going to take it all back?

I was there, and I don't remember Jeff having to tell Dan he couldn't take the money.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Looks like Rock Band 4 did not blow Jeff away

turns out we weren't actually ready for more plastic instrument games

i am shocked that importing dlc is just as broken as it was in spotlight. i legit didn't buy RB4 because of that.

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.