As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Its a great big [Steven Universe] out there!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I think if you really want someone to watch SU, show them The Return. That's what got me interested.

That's kind of like, the biggest spoiler you can possibly give though

I mean, I got into the show because I watched Jailbreak completely out of context because someone posted it on another forum I was reading.

I mean if it worked for you it worked for you

But I barely ever care about spoilers and I'd have been super upset if that was the first thing I saw

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i started watching around runaways didn't get invested until jail break? so my advice is just show them your three favourite episodes and damn the consequences.

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    About 'Too Far', is it just me or...
    ...does anyone else feel that Amethyst was kinda asking for it when it came to Peridot 'ripping' into her? I mean, she was having a fine time hearing Peridot's brutal honesty about the others. Would have been nice if Amethyst admitted it wasn't exactly cool of her to egg Peridot on as she did.
    I think that she was almost laughing at how absurd it was for Peridot to be saying stuff like that, like how she laughed at Peridot calling items and body parts ridiculous names that no one else uses. She wasn't actually thinking like 'heh, YEAH Steven is an abomination, say it right in his little smooshy freak of nature face!!!' It got away from her, though, and became mean.

I think though that was another lesson being taught there, that it can be funny to hear jokes about others, but you don't think about how it would feel to have that scrutiny pointed at you.

Also we have seen examples before of Amethyst going too far, like when she shapeshifted into Rose in front of Greg, merely to be cruel and didn't spare a thought to the real harm caused. She also is not shy about mocking people to their faces, like when she shifted into Pearl and smacked her ass all 'WHOMP WHOMP'.

It is also obvious that Amethyst loves and respects the others, so even if she makes off color jokes and goes too far, in the end she really respects and loves them and doesn't mean to hurt those she cares about, she is just impulsive and doesn't think things through and is still learning and growing.

But Peridot saying what she did about Amethyst was literally her confirming Amethyst's worst fears and insecurities, so while Amethyst saw the other things as obviously ridiculous jokes to be laughed at, things that were not 'real', the comments about her were just how things are.

It's hypocritical for sure though, and hopefully she learned a bit from that situation.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    I think if you really want someone to watch SU, show them The Return. That's what got me interested.

I mean, I got into the show because I watched Jailbreak completely out of context because someone posted it on another forum I was reading.

But I barely ever care about spoilers and I'd have been super upset if that was the first thing I saw

A really cool spoiler will get me into a new show faster than anything else. But I'm just weird that way :razz:

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015

A really cool spoiler will get me into a new show faster than anything else. But I'm just weird that way :razz:

I saw a clip from Jailbreak as the first thing I'd ever watched from Steven Universe, and that's what made me watch it. It's really hard to get myself into new shows these days, so it had to be something like that to get me hooked. I mean even with how great I know Adventure Time is, I couldn't get myself past the first season.

Normally I care about spoilers, but only if it's something I already care about.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Finding out that garnet was all emotional and stuff, and that the tough stoicism is just her playing a role for the team is a real cool journey.

Edit - but then again everyone has such great character arcs.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

I saw a clip from Jailbreak as the first thing I'd ever watched from Steven Universe. It's really hard to get myself into new shows these days, so it had to be something like that to get me hooked. I mean even with how great I know Adventure Time is, I couldn't get myself past the first season.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of time to invest in something like a long-running television series, so Jailbreak being so weird sans context caught my attention. I don't think anything else would have.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    It was the gay that got me in.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    "Badass space gemstone lesbians." said tumblr.
    "Okay I'm in." said me.

I'd been meaning to watch the show for ages, just hadn't been in a show-watching mood.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Boy raised by badassed magical girls

Me: Eh

Made by the lady behind Marceline's cool songs and that dude that made rpg world

ME: Say whaaaaaaaa

• Options
    "Like sailor moon but one of them is a doofus with no powers"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Steven is Sailor Moon.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

So, like Sailor Moon.

• Options
    Steven quartz proving clerics are cool everyday

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Enlong wrote: »

So, like Sailor Moon.

no usagi is a doofus WITH powers

Steven gets them but that's not hoe it was pitched to me

Ended up liking it any way!

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Giant Woman was the episode that got me watching for obvious reasons.

Any show where characters fuse together gets 10,000 Fabulous Points right off the bat.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options

So, like Sailor Moon.

Tuxedo Mask is a doofus without powers. Unless you count quick-costume-change, or unless I've forgotten something.
    And there is also Greg.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    tumblr_inline_nvurnlCBkX1qfd5vy_500.png

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Is that garnet and peridot in sailor gear? Awesome.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Peridot as Sailor Mercury, Garnet as Sailor Mars. There's more to come from the artist.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

So, like Sailor Moon.

Tuxedo Mask is a doofus without powers. Unless you count quick-costume-change, or unless I've forgotten something.
    And there is also Greg.

He has tons of powers in everything but the 92 anime

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So, the only one people actually talk about.

And in that incarnation all he did most of the time was show up, throw a flower at the bad guy, shout "YOU CAN DO IT SAILOR MOON" and then run away.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

And in that incarnation all he did most of the time was show up, throw a flower at the bad guy, shout "YOU CAN DO IT SAILOR MOON" and then run away.

I mean the flowers are basically super flowers.

• Options
    Yeah, the 92 anime is what I know. Though I've been watching Crystal at a haphazard pace.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

So, like Sailor Moon.

And there is also Greg.

He can super throw roses like really good and get them to stick into any surface.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Also hes Super Mysterous I mean who even is that guy in the tux and the mask? Surely it can't be anyone close to us that we know.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Also hes Super Mysterous I mean who even is that guy in the tux and the mask? Surely it can't be anyone close to us that we know.

It's not like we know anyone who wears a tuxedo at all hours!

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Or cheapo $10 sunglasses that even Kanye wouldn't buy...

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    One thing about the latest episode I'm curious about.
    There has been no real indication over the nature of Amethyst's "brokenness". The obvious question then is, can it be overcome? Is it possible that we'll see Amethyst change to a larger form, whether permantently or just for when she really needs it? When it was revealed that she regains her shape much faster than the other gems I think it was suggested that this was simply due to her messy, impulsive nature, but it seems logical that the fact that she was built to support a much larger physical form is another factor.

I'm not sure how I would feel about a Jasper-sized Amethyst, but if she keeps growing more mature as the series goes on I could see it possibly working.

Vic on
  • Options
    Vic wrote: »
    There has been no real indication over the nature of Amethyst's "brokenness". The obvious question then is, can it be overcome? Is it possible that we'll see Amethyst change to a larger form, whether permantently or just for when she really needs it? When it was revealed that she regains her shape much faster than the other gems I think it was suggested that this was simply due to her messy, impulsive nature, but it seems logical that the fact that she was built to support a much larger physical form is another factor.

I'm not sure how I would feel about a Jasper-sized Amethyst, but if she keeps growing more mature as the series goes on I could see it possibly working.

I don't think it's something she can overcome.
    Peridot is pretty clear its a defect in her creation process not something she can change.

• Options
    I'm more of a fan of amethysts' uniqueness making her unorthodox and unpredictable, and that's what makes her stand out.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

I mean the flowers are basically super flowers.

Maybe people from the Negaverse are just super weak to regular flowers.

Maybe it's a Signs type deal and they were all "Yep, we'll be just fine invading this place so long as there are zero roses anywhere."

• Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    Or cheapo $10 sunglasses that even Kanye wouldn't buy...

ofcourse kanye wouldnt buy 10 dollar glasses, he's a fashion icon & aficionado , saying "even kanye" here makes no sense

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

I don't think it's something she can overcome.
    Peridot is pretty clear its a defect in her creation process not something she can change.
    The way she explained it, that Amethyst was so small because she didn't know she wasn't supposed to be that way, made it seem like something that she could overcome if she decided to do so.

But that may just be my interpretation.

I could see Amethyst going Jasper sized for an ep or two, then deciding it didn't feel right for her and going back to her normal size.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I mean, couldn't she just change the next time she poofs?

The whole poof thing seems to fit along 'you look like what you think you should look like' which, in addition to being a really good message about gender fluidity and spurning its norms, but it'd be a separate decision on her part.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    I mean, couldn't she just change the next time she poofs?

The whole poof thing seems to fit along 'you look like what you think you should look like' which, in addition to being a really good message about gender fluidity and spurning its norms, but it'd be a separate decision on her part.

Maybe, maybe not. I recall her trying to make a more muscular form in Reformed, and that didn't turn out so hot. Though that could be because she rushed it.

Either way, Peridot also says that her size seems to have had no effect on her actual strength.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well I mean we've already seen Amethyst take on a bigger form as Purple Puma, even though it was only temporary. I think it may be possible for her to take such a form "permanently" if she were to do it when reforming.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    my understanding is that while they can take any form they want, the form's stability is directly related to how much the form is appropriate for who they are

so even though amethyst could choose to take on a bigger form, her natural tendency trends toward the smaller "runt" form that she has now, and the more she strays from it the worse

that said, the gems' "ideal" form obviously isn't set in stone, and changes over time as their personalities develop

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    my understanding is that while they can take any form they want, the form's stability is directly related to how much the form is appropriate for who they are

so even though amethyst could choose to take on a bigger form, her natural tendency trends toward the smaller "runt" form that she has now, and the more she strays from it the worse

that said, the gems' "ideal" form obviously isn't set in stone, and changes over time as their personalities develop

but 'who you are' is ideally an entirely internal concept. It's how she sees herself, so therefore that's what she looks like. So if she really chose to be bigger, because that's how she sees herself, there's no reason that couldn't be her permanent form. She did it with her hair after seeing Greg. She had short hair, saw Greg's hair, decided 'man that looks baller as hell' and then changed it.

Javen on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

but 'who you are' is ideally an entirely internal concept. It's how she sees herself, so therefore that's what she looks like. So if she really chose to be bigger, because that's how she sees herself, there's no reason that couldn't be her permanent form. She did it with her hair after seeing Greg. She had short hair, saw Greg's hair, decided 'man that looks baller as hell' and then changed it.

yeah no totally

i just don't think she can say "well i'm supposed to be jasper-size so hup" and have success

she would have to honestly feel like that's the body that represents her

that's why all the bodies she kept whipping up in that one episode kept falling apart so easily

This discussion has been closed.