As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo NX: Console/Mobile Hybrid. Industry leading tech and graphics.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited October 2015 in Games and Technology
According to this article on Gamespot, Nintendo has sent out their NX dev kits. The console is stated to be a Console/Mobile hybrid, highlighting that the hybrid is not only for 3ds, but is for mobile, leaving some to the imagination.

The article lead on to say:
One prominent third-party game company that might already have a NX software development kit is Square Enix. During a broadcast in July, Square Enix announced Dragon Quest X and Dragon Quest XI for the NX. However, the company later tempered its comments by saying these projects were only "under consideration." It's possible Square Enix initially spoke too soon.
Exactly what form the NX will take remains unclear. WSJ's sources say the NX, which is still a working title, will come with a console and "at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use." The NX will also reportedly use "industry-leading chips" in the devices that will presumably allow for better graphics and deeper functionality.

A new Nintendo Console with updated technology would make sense because of Nintendo's new stance towards the market, as well as the news that Nintendo is starting to break into the mobile app market. For now, it's anyone's guess what the console will be like, but if the information about Dragon Quest is correct, Nintendo's new console is on its way and might be Nintendo's answer to the struggling Wii U system. As for the Wii U, its anyone's guess what will happen to the console, but dual porting is not out of the question.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    How would the mobile portion be different than the Wii U's tablet? Because apart from the range (which sounds like it would be streaming/remote playing over the web) it merely sounds like an updated Wii U.

I mean, it would be awesome if Nintendo could make me care about a TV-connected console for the first time since the SNES days, but these rumors don't do much to stoke my enthusiasm. Especially since the tablet form factor is the opposite of being physically accessible for me.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Assuming this is a replacement for the Wii U, does anyone remember what was the turnaround time from Nintendo's last dev kits to the Wii U being released?

It's all speculative, but I'm wondering how long before we see a new Nintendo platform.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Assuming this is a replacement for the Wii U, does anyone remember what was the turnaround time from Nintendo's last dev kits to the Wii U being released?

It's all speculative, but I'm wondering how long before we see a new Nintendo platform.

The original article that the other sources have been quoting from appears in the Wall Street Journal: http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-software-kit-for-new-nx-platform-1444996588

According to 'inside sources', Nintendo's plan is for a 2016 release. If true, I'm thinking E3 megaton, followed by holiday release.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    It has to be far beyond initial devkit transmission, given a 2-year turnaround (unless Nintendo's banking on everything for launch being a rushed port), or that Nintendo is pushing Wii U to holiday 2017, which would be suicidal.

Some stuff. First: Nintendo's new development portal http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1125554
    Our new website makes publishing simple

This new website had one goal—to make your lives easier. We’re hard at work making more and better tools to help you self-publish, digitally publish, and publish at retail. Our plans are big, because yours are

We’ll soon have advanced project tracking and ROM submission, project-based message boards and more, helping you with every step—from concept, to publish, to counting your accolades. And as always, you’ll have the best global developer support team ever, right from the start, making the Nintendo Developer Portal your go-to resource.

Second and more distinctly rumor-y, report from http://www.nintendoforums.com/threads/nintendo-nx-will-have-incredibly-powerful-hardware.1963/ from an purported insider suggesting that Nintendo has a very high-poly tech demo running on their system, which it states pushes top-end CPU/GPU stuff. This one i find less likely, but a man can dream.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Even without a devkit, developers can start work on games and have an idea of target specs.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    How would the mobile portion be different than the Wii U's tablet? Because apart from the range (which sounds like it would be streaming/remote playing over the web) it merely sounds like an updated Wii U.

The speculation is that it is a portable device (like Game Boy) that you can connect to a cradle that is HDMId to your television, pick up a controller and play like a home console, with powerful enough hardware that the image on the television doesn't look horribly pixelated.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I will laugh my ass off if AMD is involved, simply because it would be hilarious to have the same company providing chips to all three major consoles.

A late 2016 launch seems strange. I mean, Nintendo used to be the top contender and are now slipping farther and farther behind two competitors after releasing a console with unusual addon peripherals and are now going to launch a "powerful" console in the middle of a console gen that they're hoping will turn their fortunes around that will let you take part of it on the road to play games on...

Holy shit.

Nintendo is the new Sega.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Someone made a thread of NeoGAF asking how people would feel if Nintendo shelved Zelda for Wii U and moved all of that development over to NX so that it could be a launch title and I think that there are people literally on fire right now.

I could see the logic in such a move, and in fact can imagine the Nintendo press release line for line, but I can also understand why people would be upset.

Ceno on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Ceno wrote: »
    Someone made a thread of NeoGAF asking how people would feel if Nintendo shelved Zelda for Wii U and moved all of that development over to NX so that it could be a launch title and I think that there are people literally on fire right now.

I could see the logic in such a move, and in fact can imagine the Nintendo press release line for line, but I can also understand why people would be upset.

In bird culture this is considered a dick move.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Nintendo has shown a willingness to release a Zelda game on both a previous and next gen platform at the same time before.

edit: On a side note, as someone who isn't much of a Nintendo or Legend of Zelda fan, I still thought that the "mirroring" effect that distinguished the Gamecube and Wii versions of Twilight Princess was a particularly clever way of solving the "Link is canonically left handed, but 90% of people who will be playing this on the Wii will be right handed" issue.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Oh, certainly.

I suppose it depends on if the NX is indeed going to be out next year and how quickly Nintendo wants to put a bullet in the Wii U and let people move on with their lives. It wouldn't surprise me at all, if that stuff holds true. The outcry would be brief and quickly overshadowed by excitement once the new system was revealed/released.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I think the 2016 release rumors are nonsense, it'll be a 2016 reveal at E3 or TGS, and then an actual release for somewhere around Nov 2017.

and that timeframe makes sense with the sdk being released now, and then I'd guess actual hardware devkits in about a year. Giving 3rd parties about 2 years to make/port a few games for the launch window.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    From the old Wii U/NX thread:
    maximumzero
    October 16
    Polaritie wrote: »
    NES7 is a good name. No confusuon of it being a new system there.

And that's three better than Sony's offering, not to mention six better than what Microsoft is trying to push on its customers.

Sheesh, where were you guys when I suggested this very thing a few weeks back? ;P

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    they should just copy windows and jump straight to the Nin10do

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I would like to play handheld games on my tv and honestly bought a WiiU at launch because obviously that's what they're going to do right just look at it

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    They'll go with a unclear but still impressive sounding name that gets bandied around for a few months. Nintendo Ascension. Ninscension. Etc.

Then that'll get shelved for something friendly and more easily pronounced by younger audiences,

VAGiNA

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I like the title Ninscension.

If it succeeds, it's divine. If it fails, you can say it's passed away and going to the afterlife just like its name.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Which is why I already trademarked it and picked up the URL.

Nintendo, you have my number. And I will acknowledge, I don't own www.vagina.com

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Foomy wrote: »
    I think the 2016 release rumors are nonsense, it'll be a 2016 reveal at E3 or TGS, and then an actual release for somewhere around Nov 2017.

and that timeframe makes sense with the sdk being released now, and then I'd guess actual hardware devkits in about a year. Giving 3rd parties about 2 years to make/port a few games for the launch window.

Nintendo can't possibly get Wii U to carry them through 2017. It would have a release schedule worse than Wii 2012 (which was already painfully anemic), with a console that's been comatose since 2013, while the competition is hitting their stride. It's poisonous for mindshare and would make their challenges for the NX all that much worse.

Edit: early 2017, yes. Zelda U could be enough to make holiday '16 worthwhile. But they can't last a whole year without software, which is what's going to happen after November 2016. It's quite clear Nintendo has nothing in the pipeline that we don't know about (reminding that we know about Pikmin 4 as well)

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I'd love a console release that isn't in the dead of winter again.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

People have been saying this literally since the day Zelda U was delayed, and it hasn't slowed since.

I'm just waiting for the game to be released so it can stop , either way.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The whole 2-in-1 handheld/homeconsole deal sounds promising, if the homeconsole experience is at least on par with PS4, and porting is an easy and affordable thing, so that 3rd party support is a given regardless of adoption rate, and developers actually want to design for the system. The Vita has shown me that I love handheld gaming. Simpler indie games and retro gaming only works on handhelds for me. I've zero interest in playing those kinds of games on my giant TV.

I for one am super excited for the whole shoulder bumpers being replaced with mousewheel buttons deal, that one recent patent has revealed. It's an idea I've been shouting into the void of the internet for a couple of years now. It makes so much more sense than just a regular button. It gives each shoulder button at least 3 bindable actions. Turn left. Turn right. Push in. And that's besides being perfect for zooming in cameras and quick selecting items/weapons/gadgets. The only shame being that Nintendo patented the idea, instead of all console manufacturers adopting it. I guess beggars can't be choosers. I shouted loudly into the void, and somehow the world granted me my wish. It's got to be good enough.

Another point that Nintendo has finally to get right is their online network. Games being tied to specific hardware instead of my account? Nope, that's bullshit. Friendcodes? Are you crazy? Nintendo has to deliver a comparable experience to PSN/Xbox Live/Steam/Origin etc., with equal or better usability and comfort. Something along the lines of PS Plus would also be very welcome.

There's a 101 ways to fuck this up, I just hope Nintendo will finally make a system that invites me back into the fold, so that I can enjoy all the upcoming Nintendo games, and experience all the games I missed out on since the Gamecube. I haven't had Wii or Wii U. Slowly but surely, there's a bunch of 'em that I really want to play.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I'm on board with the hybrid idea if they can make it work. Based on Wii U I don't have a lot of faith in Nintendo's consoles going forward.... and if NX was a stand alone console I would be incredibly hesitant to get one. However I've been very happy with my 3DS and a console/handheld hybrid would seem like less of a risk. I'm going to get their next handheld regardless, so my apprehension about the next console kind of dissolves away. Even if the third parties remain distant, Nintendo could focus their efforts on the single system and we'd probably have less software droughts.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The hybrid idea is interesting but makes me worry it'd be Nintendo's Windows 8. Something trying to be too many things at once.

• Options
    I'm on board with the hybrid idea if they can make it work. Based on Wii U I don't have a lot of faith in Nintendo's consoles going forward.... and if NX was a stand alone console I would be incredibly hesitant to get one. However I've been very happy with my 3DS and a console/handheld hybrid would seem like less of a risk. I'm going to get their next handheld regardless, so my apprehension about the next console kind of dissolves away. Even if the third parties remain distant, Nintendo could focus their efforts on the single system and we'd probably have less software droughts.

How "hybrid" it is is up to debate. If you read Iwata's commentary from after NX was revealed, he very clearly said that they were not making a straight hybrid device. He said they wanted systems that could be "brothers," and pointed towards iOS. That this WSJ article implies opposite to that, well, Iwata can't contest them anymore, but i don't see how anything would have changed.

So it's likely that they'll unify architecture, unify APIs for devs, create one OS for both, possibly have software playable on both unless the developer's making a more ambitious console game or the handheld developer specifically opts out. Scalable assets similar to PC games at least for first-party titles, but they're not making a 2-in-1.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    As I recall a few months back when Nintendo did talk, if only in the vaguest of ways, about the NX they said one of their goals was to create a platform in such a way as to provide natural backwards compatibility with any future consoles that come after it. So all your NX games would just work on the NX2 for instance.

And like @Mr Khan mentioned they used iOS and smartphones as an example of what they were going for.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I'm still happy with my 3DS and WiiU, but I'm also really excited to see what the NX could be. As someone who loves the titles offered on the 3DS but can't use the handheld itself for more than like an hour at a time (getting older sucks, kids: stay young forever!!), I can't tell you how many games I've skipped because of my backlog. If their NX handheld games (assuming a unified architecture with different hardware configurations) were playable on their console as well, I'd be unbelievably happy.

Xavier1216 on
    SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    For starters I'd be thrilled if my virtual console purchases carried forward. I'm not giving Nintendo another dime in "upgrade" fees. This is the last time.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    For starters I'd be thrilled if my virtual console purchases carried forward. I'm not giving Nintendo another dime in "upgrade" fees. This is the last time.

They've mentioned the idea that the new structure will conform to the Wii U, which could explain why they've been trying to get all Nintendo platforms, not just home consoles, running on Wii U VC.

Although they have to cut away from some of the Wii U stuff. PowerPC architecture would be an albatross.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

How "hybrid" it is is up to debate. If you read Iwata's commentary from after NX was revealed, he very clearly said that they were not making a straight hybrid device. He said they wanted systems that could be "brothers," and pointed towards iOS. That this WSJ article implies opposite to that, well, Iwata can't contest them anymore, but i don't see how anything would have changed.

So it's likely that they'll unify architecture, unify APIs for devs, create one OS for both, possibly have software playable on both unless the developer's making a more ambitious console game or the handheld developer specifically opts out. Scalable assets similar to PC games at least for first-party titles, but they're not making a 2-in-1.

So they're taking the Vita/PS4 relationship to its natural extreme? That sounds awesome to me.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if every console from this point forward is basically just a PC with a specialized operating system.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I think the NX is a console that can detach and go with you. The handheld keeps your data, and the home part is like the gameboy player.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Roe wrote: »
    I think the NX is a console that can detach and go with you. The handheld keeps your data, and the home part is like the gameboy player.

This approach would be problematic from a few angles. First, western third parties. As slim as Nintendo's chances are with them, they shouldn't completely box themselves into a corner on the chance that, say, Activision will start throwing them a Call of Duty here or there again. If the device is as you describe, it runs as a handheld-first mindset inherently, which essentially sinks chances with western development, since western developers have happily neglected handhelds for the last five years or more. Sony gets some pull with Vita, but only by virtue of both being Sony and by having in-house people do porting to Vita for certain games.

Second, power and value. While the "player" aspect of the device would naturally upscale for HDTVs, would it have anything more potent under the hood? Or is Nintendo selling just a Vita with Vita TV in this scenario? In the latter case, they run the risk of people accusing them of selling a warmed-over Wii U for a higher price (which is what they did with Wii, but in this case because the handheld is the center, the device would actually be weaker, but surely cost more too).

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    There is always a possibility that the player is not just a handheld, but the NX will work with smartphones. Remember the patent showed the NX being an integrated part of a smart home, being the center of a household electronics. It's very possible that the NX will work with your PC and your gadgets.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    There is always a possibility that the player is not just a handheld, but the NX will work with smartphones. Remember the patent showed the NX being an integrated part of a smart home, being the center of a household electronics. It's very possible that the NX will work with your PC and your gadgets.

I very much hope that patent was just filed to cover their bases and is not what they're actually doing. Companies with a lot more mobile/internet-of-things experience have been failing to do anything very compelling/functional with smart home stuff for a while. There's no one standard smart home communications protocol/API for Nintendo to hook into, and they don't have the clout in this space to establish one (and probably not the manpower to support everything). Even Google is still trying to figure this one out.

Like, it's a huge undertaking, and that's on top of actually making a competent game console.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20151130PD203.html

This article heavily implies 2016 release for the NX.

Ceno on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    What if how it works is similar to the external video cards for laptops that are starting to come out? Basically it's a powerful hand held that connects to the NX hardware via wireless and ups the graphics. However I would wonder about processing delays passing that much data back and forth via wireless. And connecting it with a cord sounds clunky, I doubt they would go for that.

Perhaps instead it's a hybrid of that, where it's simply it's own console but any of whatever the 3ds successor ends up being can connect to it as a controller similar to the Wii U tablet.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Leaked pics are fake I guess?

https://youtu.be/EpkA2MPgmAg

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    They could launch a damn balogny sandwich for all I care.

Just launch it with that new Zelda and Mario Galaxy 3 and I am sold!

(Edit: Wow.... triple post. That's a record for me)
    (Edit 2: Oh fucking nice. Top of the page as well. Oi.)

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
This discussion has been closed.