As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Saw the NSMBU/NSLU package in Best Buy yesterday, so that was cool. I was thinking it was going to be downloadable only.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    My Mii doesn't look as good in a racing suit as Rosalina. :(

No-one looks as good in a racing suit as Rosalina. :tell_me_more:

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Luigi's a close second.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Luigi's a close second.

He always is.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Good Nintendo DLC:

Fire Emblem (5 packs @$6 each pack includes 3 maps, playable characters, unlockable skills, and rare items)
    MK8 ($15 for 16 tracks, 6 characters, 8 vehicles, assorted parts)
    Hyrule Warriors ($20 for 3 adventure mode maps, 3 characters, multiple new weapons and costumes)
    Mario Golf ($15 for 6 courses of 18 holes and 4 characters)
    Pikmin 3 ($9 for 4 Treasure mode maps, 4 Battle mode maps, and 8 mission mode maps)
    New Super Luigi U ($20 for 82 levels and 1 new character)
    New Super Mario Bros 2 (10 packs @$3 each, includes 3 maps per pack)

Some of those (in particular Mario Golf and Hyrule Warriors) are extremely good value for what they offer. I agree that the Smash DLC is a bit pricier, but is inline with what Capcom charges. Not a fan of the whole thing though.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Just throwing out there that I like Miis, and think banning them (and different move sets) in Smash is dumb. ;P

...haven't bought any costumes for mine, though.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I agree on the banning of different movesets, although i understand it because that just increases the chances of abuse exponentially, like the glitch they found with one of Olimar's customs that multiplied his damage output by 100x or so. As someone who dabbles with playing Palutena, i do resent that i've never had the opportunity to learn her cooler moves because i knew i'd never have much of a chance to use them.

The only time custom moves come up for me, really, is in Smash Tour or Smash Run.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I warmed up to the Mii costumes by looking at them as a concession. They can't make all of the characters people want, and uniquely so with different moves, and taunts and VA and Final Smash's and all that jazz. But they can make a ton of costumes for them and tailor them to the 3 generic slates they have. Thus allowing you to somewhat have your character. It's not completely perfect. I'd sure love to have a real Dunban, or Protoman, or Viridi. But this seems like the next best thing. And they're certainly priced cheap enough.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I feel like the price of dlc characters is a little high, but that would be offset if they had a season pass or packs with a ~20% discount.
    same thing with the prices of new/complex levels, but the ones that are just upresses of smash 64 stages? those should be in 25 cent micro-transaction range. or just include one with each returning fighter.

Just throwing out there that I like Miis, and think banning them (and different move sets) in Smash is dumb. ;P

there's really no reason to block them online. they can just set them to random premade faces if they're that worried about someone seeing a dickface on one. I've seen plenty worse in mario maker already.

I think the costumes are pretty dumb for local only, but I did buy the inkling set anyway to show potential support for having them be a full character

SaraLuna on
    Playing through Woolly World and for the life of me I can't find all the Miiverse gems in any stage yet.

FU7kFbw.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Good Nintendo DLC:

Fire Emblem (5 packs @$6 each pack includes 3 maps, playable characters, unlockable skills, and rare items)
    Hyrule Warriors ($20 for 3 adventure mode maps, 3 characters, multiple new weapons and costumes)
    Pikmin 3 ($9 for 4 Treasure mode maps, 4 Battle mode maps, and 8 mission mode maps)

Some of those (in particular Mario Golf and Hyrule Warriors) are extremely good value for what they offer. I agree that the Smash DLC is a bit pricier, but is inline with what Capcom charges. Not a fan of the whole thing though.

Don't forget about stuff like the additional 3DS Mii Plaza games which are awesome. Two different sets now, discounts for buying in a pack, discount on the second pack for owning the previous games, all sold by a friendly salesman rabbit.
    there's really no reason to block them online. they can just set them to random premade faces if they're that worried about someone seeing a dickface on one. I've seen plenty worse in mario maker already.

I wouldn't assume that's the reason. I thought the reason was that their moveset is fully customizable right from the start and you couldn't know ahead of time what playstyle you'd be fighting against, along with the highly variable look of each fighter. You know, not having memorized all the different costumes and thinking that a brawler is a gunner or vice versa.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    That seems like a prime opportunity to get gud, but I know hardcore smash players hate anything that isn't as narrow as possible.

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Good Nintendo DLC:

Don't forget about stuff like the additional 3DS Mii Plaza games which are awesome. Two different sets now, discounts for buying in a pack, discount on the second pack for owning the previous games, all sold by a friendly salesman rabbit.

I wouldn't assume that's the reason. I thought the reason was that their moveset is fully customizable right from the start and you couldn't know ahead of time what playstyle you'd be fighting against, along with the highly variable look of each fighter. You know, not having memorized all the different costumes and thinking that a brawler is a gunner or vice versa.

But Sakurai himself justified blocking them online specifically because it can lead to bullying. I think it was in the Smash Direct or something.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Not seeing a Yoshi thread but today when playing Wooly World I'm getting pretty bad lag. Like the framerate freezes up every few seconds or so. Wasn't happening last night when I bought the game, disc version. Please don't be a dying disc drive...

• DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Didn't anybody tell you? The Wii U is dying.

Seriously though, hope it's nothing serious. My original Wii did that, I sent it in and Nintendo fixed it. Just in time for Xenoblade Chronicles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah, that sounds like a failing disc drive. Happened to my Wii when i was playing DKCR, though it failed *fast* after the problems started showing up.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Not seeing a Yoshi thread but today when playing Wooly World I'm getting pretty bad lag. Like the framerate freezes up every few seconds or so. Wasn't happening last night when I bought the game, disc version. Please don't be a dying disc drive...

Were you using a Pro Controller while your Gamepad was off?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Now I don't think it's my disc drive because I tried my Bayonetta 2 disc and it played fine.
    Maz- wrote: »

Yeah today I was doing just that. When I started the game last night I was playing with the gamepad. That's the problem?

Now I don't think it's my disc drive because I tried my Bayonetta 2 disc and it played fine.
    Maz- wrote: »

Yeah today I was doing just that. When I started the game last night I was playing with the gamepad. That's the problem?

Yeah, that's a known issue with Woolly World. When you've turned the Gamepad off and are playing with another controller, you'll occasionally get those frame rate freezes.

Tried again with pro controller and gamepad screen on, no more FPS issues. Weird issue but relieved it's not a disc problem.

Man I really just have no patience for collect-a-thon platformers, Mario's 3 stars and top of goal pole is about all I can handle. The stars are usually hidden in obvious and fun places, and who cares if I missed a couple hidden 1-ups or whatever.

in Yoshi, every time I finish a level with less than 100% of the collectibles I am instantly annoyed. I feel like I have to play the same level over again which is the last thing I feel like doing, or push onward and forget about it, which is an equally annoying prospect. If I'm missing anything I might as well miss everything, yet that's the meat of the game, hunting for those hidden bolts of yarn and flowers and stamp gems.

If I sped through the game and decided to go back for 100% at the end, the levels wouldn't be fresh in my mind and I'd be likely to miss the same stuff again.

So as a result I played through Sponge Cave Spelunking three times looking for the final flower, because you can't backtrack once you reach the last area which is where I thought I had missed it. And I am now watching a youtube video of Big Montgomery's Fort to see where to find the last damn stamp gem there, some obscure jump I missed or something...

I had the same problem with every previous Yoshi game. More tedious than fun. :(

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Man I really just have no patience for collect-a-thon platformers, Mario's 3 stars and top of goal pole is about all I can handle. The stars are usually hidden in obvious and fun places, and who cares if I missed a couple hidden 1-ups or whatever.

in Yoshi, every time I finish a level with less than 100% of the collectibles I am instantly annoyed. I feel like I have to play the same level over again which is the last thing I feel like doing, or push onward and forget about it, which is an equally annoying prospect. If I'm missing anything I might as well miss everything, yet that's the meat of the game, hunting for those hidden bolts of yarn and flowers and stamp gems.

If I sped through the game and decided to go back for 100% at the end, the levels wouldn't be fresh in my mind and I'd be likely to miss the same stuff again.

So as a result I played through Sponge Cave Spelunking three times looking for the final flower, because you can't backtrack once you reach the last area which is where I thought I had missed it. And I am now watching a youtube video of Big Montgomery's Fort to see where to find the last damn stamp gem there, some obscure jump I missed or something...

I had the same problem with every previous Yoshi game. More tedious than fun. :(

Yep, that's my same experience. Yoshi's Island DS was the worst offender as far as ridiculously hidden items were concerned.

FU7kFbw.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

I don't personally mind too much, except that you need all the flowers in a world to unlock a secret extra level. Which is a little annoying.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Grabbing collectibles still count if you do it in mellow mode?

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Hey so I'm looking for the best or most typical traditional mario platformer. I have a DS lite and a Wii U. That's all I got.
    What I'm looking for isn't so much "a good game to play" since I'm sure most of them will be great, but instead one that has a good example of classic 2d mario style platforming mechanics. Weight, air control, time it takes for him to stop and start moving, momentum, all that super technical stuff. I want the best example of this.
    Think of it as an academic request. I'm doing some research for something.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    either mario 3 or mario world on virtual console

And I missed flower 4 of Knitty-Knotty Windmill Hill because I didn't kill a random piranha plant...so it goes from exploring everywhere to now exhausting every possible interaction with the game world...

I resolve that by playing the game through and then going back and cleaning out the worlds according to how incomplete they were.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2015

I have no idea why they are banned since the Mii for your account is visible in the lobby.

I guess my opponent being Hitler is fine, but not the character I fight against? I can only assume it's cover their ass over people making characters they don't have the rights to. It's a stupid thing to sue over, but companies have done it in the past.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

I have no idea why they are banned since the Mii for your account is visible in the lobby.

I guess my opponent being Hitler is fine, but not the character I fight against? I can only assume it's cover their ass over people making characters they don't have the rights to. It's a stupid thing to sue over, but companies have done it in the past.

You can use Miis against friends, just not strangers on For Glory.

Edit: Oh, do they show Miis on For Glory for Wii U?

RockinX on
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    I think Mii Fighters are also usable in some of the tournaments in Tournament Mode as well. That's against random people.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Mii Fighters are interesting, though due to the lack of them in online randoms, I can't get a feel for their real presence among players.

It's fun to beat things up with a glasses-wearing Will Wedgewood, though.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mii Brawler is good, and the other two are middling to not good.

I think there was a reluctance to play the Miis early on because their status in tournaments was up in the air, so you only see a few Mii Fighters in big tournies.

YL9WnCY.png
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I think the closest I've ever gotten to a 100% collection is Kirby's Epic Yarn.

I dunno, the collectables didn't really do anything that important, but it was always fun to get them for some reason. It's a pleasant experience, like everything in that game.

edzepp on
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Yoshi has surprised me quite a bit. I never played any of the other Yoshi games, sadly, but I couldn't resist the yarn design.
    With the collectibles, do they all have to be in one go? Or if I get all the stamps, flowers, and beads, can I go back and only worry about getting the max hearts?
    Also I'm not quite sure on how the stamps work. Are they actually hidden behind beads or are they generated after getting a certain amount of beads? I haven't paid enough attention to notice.

I hadn't played my WiiU in a while and I noticed Toad Treasure Tracker was in the slot, which I've BARELY played a handful of levels in, I need to get back to that, it was very pleasant and charming from the little I played.

Talked to a friend this morning which gave me a kind of revelation on Yoshi and the collectibles...

He brought up the Lego games and how he always enjoys them, even despite needing to play levels again. And I realized I'm the same way. In that case I think missing things and needing to replay doesn't feel bad at all, because you know that you're going to have to replay it, you don't initially have all the characters unlocked that you will need to access everything via their unique abilities.

If I know that I have to miss out on some stuff the first time through, I'm ok with that, and will replay later when I have everything unlocked. It's only when there are a lot of collectibles that I should be able to get on first playthrough that it becomes an annoyance to me. An interesting point of game design, I think.
    vamen wrote: »
    Yoshi has surprised me quite a bit. I never played any of the other Yoshi games, sadly, but I couldn't resist the yarn design.
    With the collectibles, do they all have to be in one go? Or if I get all the stamps, flowers, and beads, can I go back and only worry about getting the max hearts?
    Also I'm not quite sure on how the stamps work. Are they actually hidden behind beads or are they generated after getting a certain amount of beads? I haven't paid enough attention to notice.

I hadn't played my WiiU in a while and I noticed Toad Treasure Tracker was in the slot, which I've BARELY played a handful of levels in, I need to get back to that, it was very pleasant and charming from the little I played.

They don't have to be all in one go, you can replay a level and skip everything and get the one thing you missed, which is good.

AFAIK stamp beads are not marked ahead of time, you just luckily stumble into them, but on a replay the stamp beads are marked with a little stamp icon. They are all in set locations, not random.

You don't have to get all the collectibles in one go.

The stamps are hidden in specific beads.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

You can get the collectibles in any order or amount you want. So getting all the flowers in one go, then the hearts in another is fine.

As for the stamps, they are attached to particular beads in the level. They'll always be in the same spots.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Gotcha, thanks folks. Very glad to hear you don't have to get the collectibles all in one go. I TRY to do that, of course, but I've only pulled it off once =)

Whoa!

http://tinycartridge.com/post/131486660547/smilebasic-coming-to-wii-u-a-much-less-petite
    A much less petite version of Petit Computer/SmileBASIC is on the way to Wii U. Developer Smileboom hasn’t even decided on a name for the thing, calling it “PetitComBIG” at the moment. But it’s coming out in Japan Spring 2016 (later in the west), and it’ll be compatible with current SmileBASIC creations. You can even upload stuff you’ve made on 3DS to the cloud, and play it on the TV through this. You’ll also be able to program for the Wiimote or GamePad.

Playing your programs on the TV via console is pretty cool, but even cooler: you can use the GamePad or a regular old USB keyboard to type into the Wii U version!

That's really cool, especially using USB keyboards!