As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Putting my pickle in the oven.

DrezDrez Registered User regular
So I have two different foods that I want to oven. One is frozen dill pickle chips which requires the oven to be preheated to 450 degrees. The other are some Pillsbury cross-ants and for that the oven needs to be preheated to 350.

I only have one baking sheet/tray because up until now I've relied mostly on what comes from cans and jars and/or can be blasted with microwaves. So what's the best way to go about this? How long do I have to wait (or do I have to wait) before preheating the oven for the second product. Should I wait for my tray to cool off fully? Should I wait for the oven to cool down?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Cook the 350 items, pull them out and crack up the temp.

If your pan is still super hot by the time the oven hits 450, wave it around a little, but it shouldn't really change how you cook the frozen pickles.

edit - If you have to go the other way around, cook the 450 stuff, then turn off the oven and leave it open for 5-10 mins, that should get enough heat out so you can hit 350 from the low temp side.

As for the pan, after it has cooled a little, you can run water over it to get it back down to normal temp. Careful with this strat though, don't hit it with water until it has cooled a bit (the 5 to 10 minutes should be fine).

Neurotika on
  • Options
    ok thanks

• Options
    Nah I can do the 350 and then 450. I just wanted to open the post with my pickles.

• Options
    A wise choice

• Options
    Thanks!

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how to check what temp the oven is currently at. All I know is: I hit BAKE, set the temperature to what I want (default is 350 but I can increment by 25 degrees), and then hit START. A counter counts down from 10 minutes, which I imagine is the preheat period. Beyond that, I am confused. I guess going from 350 to 450 will be a trial for me.

I guess I should cook 350, take the stuff out, shut off the oven, and then immediately turn it back on using the 450 start option?

• Options
    Yeah, that works

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    if you are putting your pickle in a strange oven make sure you use an oven mitt

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    How long does it take an over to cool down? Out of curiosity? I guess that depends on ventilation and whatnot, but ballpark figure?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Depends widely on the quality of the oven.

What ForceVoid said is good as any. 450 to 350 won't take long; few minutes with the door open.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Thanks!

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how to check what temp the oven is currently at. All I know is: I hit BAKE, set the temperature to what I want (default is 350 but I can increment by 25 degrees), and then hit START. A counter counts down from 10 minutes, which I imagine is the preheat period. Beyond that, I am confused. I guess going from 350 to 450 will be a trial for me.

I guess I should cook 350, take the stuff out, shut off the oven, and then immediately turn it back on using the 450 start option?

Like real advice is buy a cheap coil spring thermometer and toss it in your oven. Most of the time the settings on ovens kinda lie. Well they all lie because ovens turn on and off to average to the set temperature, it's just some lie way more than others. If yours is saying that it always takes the same preheat time regardless of current temp it is definitely all about those lies.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm missing the point of baking a pickle. wouldn't it at that point pretty much turn back into a cucumber...

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @azith28 , http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/05/oven-fried-pickles-with-skinny-herb.html

They're pretty popular in the south.

When you and I think pickles, we're thinking dill spears, and wonder what kind of monster would bake a pickle. But then you just need to realize it's Drez, and that should answer your question.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm from New Orleans. this is an abomination in my eyes as well, Whoever came up with this, don't blame the south. It's probably related to some northern guy from coney island deep frying pickles.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I don't even know what to say to you people. Fried, breaded pickles is like putting an orgasm in your mouth. Especially if you dip your pickle in some kind of buttermilk dip.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Deep fried pickles are a Gulf Coast dish. Its been a staple at country crab shacks and coastal bars for forever and only recently started spreading out.

Pretty tasty stuff with a light beer and a warm summer breeze. Not sure I'd ever make them at home but they are pretty tasty with ranch or dill sauce.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Fried pickles are the best bar food.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Deep fat fry the pickles. Solves the oven warming issue as the pickles will be on the stovetop; you can have both cooking at the same time, and pickles should be fried anyways.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    You should all bring your pickle-pinions to the Bad Food thread in SE++ so we can recoil in horror at the idea of you baking or frying pickles.