As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Its a great big [Steven Universe] out there!

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    We know that whatever ended the war happened fast enough that Rose was only able to save the gems close enough to be wrapped in her shield bubble. My suspicion is that whatever happened was a last-ditch doomsday response from Rose, and that's why she spent the rest of her life wrapped in guilt.

Nah. You cant afford to sacrificing your own men when you are fighting guerrilla against an empire. I find far more likely home world decided to cut their loses nuke the planet and come back in few millenia to see how things shook out.

NeoToma on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    We know that whatever ended the war happened fast enough that Rose was only able to save the gems close enough to be wrapped in her shield bubble. My suspicion is that whatever happened was a last-ditch doomsday response from Rose, and that's why she spent the rest of her life wrapped in guilt.

Nah. You cant afford to sacrificing your own men when you are fighting guerrilla against an empire. I find far more likely home world decided to cut their loses nuke the planet and come back in few millenia to see how things shook out.

We don't have enough info to know either way, but something went down that gave Rose a major guilt complex. That may have just been a response to her life before the rebellion, but I can't help but think the Gems would have just come out and said it if things ended with Homeworld trying to kill everyone. Instead, their descriptions of that last battle seem purposefully vague.

As Greg says, "There's no such thing as a good war."

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Ruldar wrote: »

Why is amathyst a mop?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Because she was a mop in the play.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Starting a war that ends with only you and three friends surviving and thousands others left as mindless monsters is probably enough reason to feel guilty.

• BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    Starting a war that ends with only you and three friends surviving and thousands others left as mindless monsters is probably enough reason to feel guilty.
    Do we know for certain that they were the only ones left? Other troops could have all left the planet en masse when it all ended, using all the available ships to do so, or they could have teleported off before the pads were shattered. Rose stayed because she loved the planet, Pearl stayed because she loved Rose, Garnet stayed because here she could be who she wanted to be, and Amethyst stayed (if she was around during the war) because this is the only home she has ever known, with the only people who have ever been dear to her (the other crystal gems).

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    She wasnt around for the war. She was still cooking.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Belruel wrote: »
    Do we know for certain that they were the only ones left? Other troops could have all left the planet en masse when it all ended, using all the available ships to do so, or they could have teleported off before the pads were shattered. Rose stayed because she loved the planet, Pearl stayed because she loved Rose, Garnet stayed because here she could be who she wanted to be, and Amethyst stayed (if she was around during the war) because this is the only home she has ever known, with the only people who have ever been dear to her (the other crystal gems).
    There's a line in, I think, the episode where they retrieve Rose's scabbard where Pearl says that Rose used her shield to save Pearl and Garnet but everyone else was destroyed in the final battle. We know that Jasper, at least, survived the war on the other side, though.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    There's a line in, I think, the episode where they retrieve Rose's scabbard where Pearl says that Rose used her shield to save Pearl and Garnet but everyone else was destroyed in the final battle. We know that Jasper, at least, survived the war on the other side, though.

The return actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AR8SVVlB8c
    We don't know what happened but we know it something terrible and only Rose's shield could protect Pearl and Garnet and we can infer from Greg's words that others on Rose's side were there and could not be saved.

Quire.jpg

The return actually

We don't know what happened but we know it something terrible and only Rose's shield could protect Pearl and Garnet and we can infer from Greg's words that others on Rose's side were there and could not be saved.
    You know, it's pretty interesting that Greg said "handful" instead of just Pearl and Garnet. I wonder if we'll see other, former, Crystal Gems at some point.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

The return actually

You know, it's pretty interesting that Greg said "handful" instead of just Pearl and Garnet. I wonder if we'll see other, former, Crystal Gems at some point.
    Garnet is a handful.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

The return actually

Garnet is a handful.
    No l, Amethyst is a handful, Garnet is a conversation.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    azith28 wrote: »
    something else i found interesting about jaspers speech in the arrival. "I know what a human is". sure she was there for the war, so the idea of a human isnt new to her...but something about how she says it hints at a deeper truth.

This is the part of the show that really amuses me.
    Gems don't regard humans as persons. They pay about as much attention to them as humans do deer. Most of the time, it's not even contempt. They're just completely disinterested in human culture or motivations. To Jasper, humans are just this alien fauna that she encountered one time. A footnote in the war with Rose.

Even the Crystal Gems don't really view themselves as defenders of humanity, but rather more like protectors of Rose's legacy and the humans around them are just part of a nature preserve to be conscientiously tended. Pearl, in particular, is rather dismissive of humans. (Hey you guys seemed to get along okay in the hunter-gatherer phase of your species. What do you need power for anyway?) And the rest of the time, they're simply high-handed and distant in how they interact with the community. Wreck a pizza parlor? Meh.

When Greg mentioned the idea that he might be able to fuse with Rose, Pearl regarded the idea with such disgust that it made me laugh. Bestiality? Ugh.

The way I frame it in my mind, is that when they were building the Kindergarten, it was much like putting a intergalactic highway through earth from Hitchhiker's Guide. A human does the same thing and you know that there are deers, birds, and other shit there in the abstract, but you don't really care.

Twenty Sided on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    something else i found interesting about jaspers speech in the arrival. "I know what a human is". sure she was there for the war, so the idea of a human isnt new to her...but something about how she says it hints at a deeper truth.

This is the part of the show that really amuses me.
    Gems don't regard humans as persons. They pay about as much attention to them as humans do deer. Most of the time, it's not even contempt. They're just completely disinterested in human culture or motivations. To Jasper, humans are just disinteresting fauna that she encountered one time. A footnote in the war with Rose.

Even the Crystal Gems don't really view themselves as defenders of humanity, but rather more like protectors of Rose's legacy and the humans around them are just part of a nature preserve to be conscientiously tended. Pearl, in particular, is rather dismissive of humans. (Hey you guys seemed to get along okay in the hunter-gatherer phase of your species. What do you need power for anyway?)

The way I frame it in my mind, is that when they were building the Kindergarten, it was much like putting a intergalactic highway through earth from Hitchhiker's Guide. A human does the same thing and you know that there are deers, birds, and other shit there in the abstract, but you don't really care.

Yeah, but I think that's actually a good thing. They're not protectors of humanity, they're protectors of Earth. The legacy of Rose is to protect everything, not just humanity. Don't really get involved in human-centric events, but protect against outside threats. The tragic part is, so far the only outside threat that Earth has been subjected to has been other gems, both from the war itself, and its fallout.

I think that gives them a little more credit than deserved. It's a very patronizing noblesse oblige attitude.
    Steven is too young to really pick up on it and Amethyst doesn't know that she's supposed to be this imperialistic soldier.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I don't see how? It's penance that drives them, not altruism.

And while Steven and Amethyst are mostly along for the ride, that's by design. Pearl and Garnet could have told them about the war, but they choose not to for very explicit reasons. But it's clear that, at least pre-Greg, the Gems considered Earth as an entire entity, not just 'the place the humanity resides'

Javen on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So I know NeoToma expressed interest in reviving the permanently on hiatus Steven Universe podcast with me but I thought I'd ask the thread again if anyone else would like to join up. (And if you'd like to edit it because you're a generous soul I would gladly repay with an amiibo or crunchyroll free trials or something )
    Here's what I'm proposing

Cookie Catcast!- A steven Universe podcast
    Given we're on hiatus this is the prime time to rewatch the entire series and talk about it! I'm looking for 2-3 more people to add to the panel
    If you're thinking of getting into the show or aren't very far in why not talk about the experience with strangers you met online?
    Are you a woman? A person of differing sexual orientation? Transgender? A creepy 5 year old with no ears?
    I'd like you on the podcast because these are avenues to discuss that I cannot really offer any commentary on and I feel that is a disservice to the show and it's fans.

When the show comes back I'm not sure if we'll cover new episodes immediately or not but we'll figure it out.

Most importantly dont be afraid if you think you'll be boring or something. Be bold! Be like Steven!. Check out the link in my Sig if you want to know where my expectations are.

Requirements-
    Access to the old episodes
    Free time - Ideally we'll record on Wednesday night it'll take about an hour but I am the only person on my shift so my schedule is very erratic so that may change
    A microphone- Please don't feel you have to invest in anything fancy. a Headset mic is fine
    Audacity- I'll record the entire thing on Skype as a backup but I'm told this is the ideal method.
    You ship Lion X Jaime

So PM me if you'd like to join up.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    This thread is infuriating when the spoiler tags dont work

FqmsaJ6.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    steven_universe___discovering_a_new_world_by_annak1332-d9dow74.png

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    edited October 2015
    Javen wrote: »
    I don't see how? It's penance that drives them, not altruism.

And while Steven and Amethyst are mostly along for the ride, that's by design. Pearl and Garnet could have told them about the war, but they choose not to for very explicit reasons. But it's clear that, at least pre-Greg, the Gems considered Earth as an entire entity, not just 'the place the humanity resides'

I'd agree that altruism isn't the entire goal. If it is, it's almost entirely on their own alien terms in the same way humans imagine themselves to be good custodians of the environment. Again, the deer themselves aren't individually important and you'd never imagine to enlist the deer as advocates for their own cause. In this respect, Gems would never do the same for humans. It'd never cross their minds.

You see this when they wreck a pizza shop but refuse to compensate the owner or even apologize.
    Pearl casually EMP's the town's power grid and then it's, "Nope, not our problem."
    It would never occur to them to tell humans what Gems are or take the time to explain that there's this hostile alien empire out there.
    You don't explain to deer or accommodate deer. They're animals. They live in the moment. Deer don't have rights. Deer aren't people.

Except replace deer with "humans."

Twenty Sided on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Rose saw humans as children. Something to be cared for and play with
    Pearl sees people as insignificant because from her perspective we live for like a week and nothing we do matters
    Garnet sees people and their ability to express love and respects that if nothing else
    Amethyst sees people as Equals for sure but her outsider status is even worse among them

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I could have sworn there was a scene where Pearl paid for something after the others ran off with/wrecked something.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    I could have sworn there was a scene where Pearl paid for something after the others ran off with/wrecked something.

In the first episode, Amethyst says that they stole a bunch of Cookie Cats and then Pearl says she went back and paid for them.

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Baseless speculation
    do we know who voices yellow diamond because maybe this is the pain medicine I'm on talking but I'm suddenly desperately wanting it to be Angela Lansbury

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That would be amazing.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    Baseless speculation
    do we know who voices yellow diamond because maybe this is the pain medicine I'm on talking but I'm suddenly desperately wanting it to be Angela Lansbury

So, okay, you're not wrong that that would be awesome.

But the pain meds definitely played a part in coming up with the idea in the first place.

vRyue2p.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKOcun9-Xck

peridot has been great, but I just realized I want more steven and connie sword fighting

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Steven and Connie teaming up at the hospital was the best thing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    WE NEED ANOTHER STEVONNIE EPISODE

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    (Are we not restricting namedropping of that character to spoiler tags now?)
    One of the things I loved most about Stevonnie was their angry squeaking while hate-dancing at Kevin.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I'm sure Stevonnie will be back but I think less is more; same for pretty much most fusions except the obvious one. Makes it extra special when one shows up.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Is there a new episode tonight?

BLM - ACAB
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Is there a new episode tonight?

No more episodes this year.

Quire.jpg
    well crap baskets

BLM - ACAB
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    dont worry guys im writing a novelization that is 100% official headcanon that will continue the series as i know the creators intended

it stars little Brolo Universe, the actual true son of Greg and Rose and he's a more cooler than steven and his amazing hidden powers come from the fact that his gem type is CHAOS EMERALDS and he his girlfriend is connie's hotter older sister lonnie who has the biggest tits and never makes fun of him

all the gems follow Brolo in his epic fight to power up to 100000000 power levels and he destroys homeworld... in a single punch! oh brolo screams lonnie you are the most brave, i have learned though that you were the secret Prince of Shadow Diamonds, we could not tell you because it was a secret

oh no said brolo but i have destroyed Gem Homeworld! my gem mom and dad have been destroyed in a single punch... so sad a single manly tear roles down his cheek

but then FOOLED YA! lil brolo universe winks and pulls out his obsidian hour glass of Time dont worry though i know how to time travel, and i am better at it than steven so nothing goes wrong.

THE END (OF SEASON 3)

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    until they retort with real actual episodes I'm ruling that canon

how do you like that steven crewniverse

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    Heh, seven metric brautwurst.

BLM - ACAB
This discussion has been closed.