As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Ducky zero is a great board for not as much but don't think it's that low. Check out the computer section of Woot. They often have mechanical keyboards on it

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    This is a decent keyboard guide ordered by cost. As for the Ducky Zero, it's been replaced by the newer Ducky One. It's great, but it's $115 and a long way from $60. Make sure to check the Amazon/Newegg reviews pretty thoroughly. There are mechanical keyboards close to that price range, but there's a reason most are in the 100-150 range. The Rosewill is probably your best bet.

Also keep in mind that a mechanical keyboard is totally a luxury purchase. I love mine, but it's not something anyone really needs. It's a treat. If your current keyboard is malfunctioning, you might be better off getting an affordable rubber dome keyboard for now and saving up for whatever mechanical keyboard you really want. It seems a bit strange to me to spend a lot on a luxury you're settling on.

Endaro on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that a mechanical keyboard is totally a luxury purchase. I love mine, but it's not something anyone really needs. It's a treat. If your current keyboard is malfunctioning, you might be better off getting an affordable rubber dome keyboard for now and saving up for whatever mechanical keyboard you really want. It seems a bit strange to me to spend a lot on a luxury you're settling on.

I've been using an old NMB with space invader switches for the past few years so going back to a rubber dome would be murder. Rollover kinda sucks (HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS OER HE LA DOG), but other than that it has been incredibly solid.

Has anyone picked up any of the buckling spring repros from Unicomp? From what I have read other than using a plastic backplate instead of a metal one they are practically indistinguishable from Model Ms and $79 isn't too bad considering the alternatives.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    That is a handy guide, @Endaro.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Endaro wrote: »

I've been using an old NMB with space invader switches for the past few years so going back to a rubber dome would be murder. Rollover kinda sucks (HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS OER HE LA DOG), but other than that it has been incredibly solid.

Has anyone picked up any of the buckling spring repros from Unicomp? From what I have read other than using a plastic backplate instead of a metal one they are practically indistinguishable from Model Ms and $79 isn't too bad considering the alternatives.

I have a unicomp and I enjoyed using it (when it worked) but I never played with a classic model M so I couldn't tell you how it compared.

It breaking isn't a ding on their quality, either. I salvaged mine from a discarded EEG machine, of all things. (it's cool and has all these specialty functions printed on the keys in addition to the regular letters) I had to solder on a new cable since the old one was missing, and Unicomp were actually super helpful and identified the pinouts for me so I could make that happen. Eventually one of the shift keys stopped working but it's probably because it was so old and had had a rough life.

EDIT: ah found an album of it: http://imgur.com/a/XHa3y#0

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    That is a handy guide, Endaro.

Yeah, it's pretty nice. They also do a rundown for monitors, mice, and tiered computer builds. They update it frequently enough as well. They're not perfect, but I've found them useful for understanding the general field of options. The computer build guide is also useful to hand someone so they can get an idea of what's possible under certain budgets.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Wow, that guide is too cool and hipstery for brands I've enjoyed before like Razer and SteelSeries (don't worry that's a good thing). I have a Steelseries G6V2 and have enjoyed it for two years. It plays, types, and codes like a dream, and the headphone and audio jacks are absolutely wonderful. I was thinking of purchasing one of the keyboards with backlighting, but this list is making me hesitate in favor of the Ducky One or Rosewill.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it does a good job describing features but isn't really comprehensive in terms of brands; I dunno if that's deliberate or if it's just based on the boards the author has access to, because it does exclude some fairly major brands

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Defying that page, I splurged on a SteelSeries m800, fuck the hipsters.

I will use the shit out of the light customization so I can finally learn the controls to Witcher 3 and Homeworld. Everything else gets a seizure show. Unfortunately, typing is merely okay, it reminds me of Cherry Browns so you have to put a bit of muscle on each stroke.

Cantido on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I have only good things to say about all my SteelSeries stuff.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

I have another feature that I don't like, but it may just be my lack of knowledge.

The m800 replaces the 6vG6's headphone and mic sockets with two USB 2.0 sockets. This is no problem, my headset has a very long cord. I can charge my phone with my keyboard I guess. What kind of trendy hipstery equipment would a player use this for?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I have another feature that I don't like, but it may just be my lack of knowledge.

The m800 replaces the 6vG6's headphone and mic sockets with two USB 2.0 sockets. This is no problem, my headset has a very long cord. I can charge my phone with my keyboard I guess. What kind of trendy hipstery equipment would a player use this for?

A USB turntable?

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

A USB mug warmer

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I plug my mouse into the port on my keyboard.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

What a magical world we live in.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

What a magical world we live in.

Excuse me, I seemed to have ADHD'd there, USB 2.0 is the standard size, I was thinking of the tiny ones.

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING :bigfrown:

Cantido on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    good god i just scored a full set of Jukebox SA on massdrop's sudden death midnight capatoa sale

i'm hyperventilating

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    anddd here it is!

ylcnIxw.jpg?1

it feels amazing

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Switched over to a K70 with cherry reds at work. Asked my coworker at the next desk if the sound bothered him. He said "nah, the last guy who sat there typed on blues."

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    blues? MADNESS.

(i'm typing with my blues during office hours :D )

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Switched over to a K70 with cherry reds at work. Asked my coworker at the next desk if the sound bothered him. He said "nah, the last guy who sat there typed on blues."

Does the flour/gluten-free flour substitute not gum up the keys? :wink:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Does the flour/gluten-free flour substitute not gum up the keys? :wink:

The other work.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Newegg's got the Corsair K70 w/ browns for $90 with free shipping.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    andddd here comes Carbon!

http://imgur.com/a/GxmV6

GsqtQHa.jpg

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Beautiful. What flavor of switches does it have?

• Options
    MX clears.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Corsair sale on Amazon today, including a bunch of their mechanical keyboards at 20-30% discount (although with varying discounts for different key type, so verify before purchase.)

Some decent deals to be had, like the K70 with blues for $91 or the STRAFE with browns for $80.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've been slowly circling the idea of a mechanical keyboard for years and years. It's like this incomprehensible, alluring thing. Why do people love them so much? How can I justify spending like $100 on a keyboard when the Dell L100 I've been using for ~5 years is in perfect condition, works wonderfully, and costs something like $20?

Anyway, so I finally gave in and went for the most ridiculous, unnecessarily overblown thing I could find: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) with Cherry MX Red switches. I'll admit that what finally did me in was the fact that the keys float above the board rather than being recessed into it; that will make cleaning it much easier.

It's a pretty cool toy. I do like the feel of it (the keys feel substantial, the aluminum body is sleek as hell, and... look, the lights are really shiny and pretty, OK?). The problem is, I kind of hate using it to type. The main issue is that the keys are so sensitive, and the actuation point so high up (I didn't realize that Reds don't need to bottom out to register the keystroke). I'm accidentally hitting keys all the damn time.

Part of it is probably that I'm awful at typing - despite typing every damn day for like 18 years, I still don't keep my fingers on the home row, or touch-type properly. Part of it is that they keys are so high in the air, much higher than on any of my previous keyboards. So, I keep brushing my fingers against keys that I don't mean to press, but they keep registering anyway.

Also, I can't just rest my fingers on the keys, as I'm used to, because the weight of my fingers is enough to register errant keystrokes.

How does this compare to your first mechanical keyboard experiences? Do I just need to git gud at typing? I feel like maybe I should have gotten Browns instead of Reds, but everyone keeps saying that Reds are best for gaming (which is what I primarily use my PC for).

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    It is something you just get used to. It isn't anything with mechanical specifically, it is just because of all the differences you mention.

I adapted to my mechanical at home quickly, and when I did I had to get one to use at work because trying to type on a normal keyboard was too difficult and annoying now. :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    The best way to learn how to touch type is to put a piece of paper or a stand over your hands so you can't see the keys.

• Options
    My co-worker has a tenless WASD Keyboards keyboard with blank keycaps at the office (we're programmers), and I feel like on the one hand, that's a super-cool thing and a great way to learn to touch-type, and on the other hand, man, that's a huge commitment to and faith in your ability.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    The best way to learn how to touch type is to put a piece of paper or a stand over your hands so you can't see the keys.

Also, if I do this I won't get to benefit from the lighting in my super-expensive keayboard :cry:

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »

Also, if I do this I won't get to benefit from the lighting in my super-expensive keayboard :cry:

Well, the plan is not to have to do it that way forever... :wink:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    What's the closest Cherry switch to the Space Invaders that old NMB keyboards use?

• Options
    What's the closest Cherry switch to the Space Invaders that old NMB keyboards use?

None of them really. The space invader switches were their own thing. The 'closest' thing would be greens, but the feel is reportedly quite different.

• Options

None of them really. The space invader switches were their own thing. The 'closest' thing would be greens, but the feel is reportedly quite different.

My old NMB finally kicked the bucket a while back and I've been stuck using an old first gen Logitech G15. The flip up screen is fun to goof around with but going back to a mushy rubber dome has been less than thrilling and I'm finally fed up enough to do something about it.

• Options

My old NMB finally kicked the bucket a while back and I've been stuck using an old first gen Logitech G15. The flip up screen is fun to goof around with but going back to a mushy rubber dome has been less than thrilling and I'm finally fed up enough to do something about it.

I mean, anything is better than rubber dome. The cherry blues and greens are clicky like the space invader switches are. The stiffer green springs feel closer to the actuation force of the space invaders, but are much less common than the blues.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I've been slowly circling the idea of a mechanical keyboard for years and years. It's like this incomprehensible, alluring thing. Why do people love them so much? How can I justify spending like $100 on a keyboard when the Dell L100 I've been using for ~5 years is in perfect condition, works wonderfully, and costs something like $20?

Anyway, so I finally gave in and went for the most ridiculous, unnecessarily overblown thing I could find: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) with Cherry MX Red switches. I'll admit that what finally did me in was the fact that the keys float above the board rather than being recessed into it; that will make cleaning it much easier.

It's a pretty cool toy. I do like the feel of it (the keys feel substantial, the aluminum body is sleek as hell, and... look, the lights are really shiny and pretty, OK?). The problem is, I kind of hate using it to type. The main issue is that the keys are so sensitive, and the actuation point so high up (I didn't realize that Reds don't need to bottom out to register the keystroke). I'm accidentally hitting keys all the damn time.

Part of it is probably that I'm awful at typing - despite typing every damn day for like 18 years, I still don't keep my fingers on the home row, or touch-type properly. Part of it is that they keys are so high in the air, much higher than on any of my previous keyboards. So, I keep brushing my fingers against keys that I don't mean to press, but they keep registering anyway.

Also, I can't just rest my fingers on the keys, as I'm used to, because the weight of my fingers is enough to register errant keystrokes.

How does this compare to your first mechanical keyboard experiences? Do I just need to git gud at typing? I feel like maybe I should have gotten Browns instead of Reds, but everyone keeps saying that Reds are best for gaming (which is what I primarily use my PC for).
    In reality, you really needed stiffer switches, like MX black switches, or switches with "bumps" in them, like browns, blues, or clears, as the bumps have a noticeable increase in force just before the actual activation. You probably should've gotten clears for switches.

But the cheaper route is to buy heavier springs. Go to massdrop.com and get yourself heavier springs, as there's a drop for MX springs right now. For the linear keys, reds have 45g springs, blacks have 60g springs, and greys have 80g springs. For keys that have a "bump", browns/blues have a 55g bump, clears have a 65g bump. My suggestion is to go for at least 60g springs. That's assuming you're comfortable disassembling every switch in your keyboard.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/custom-cherry-mx-springs

If you aren't comfortable modding your switches, return the keyboard, and get a different one.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    You also may just need some time to adjust to the lighter switches. I was a little put off when I first got my reds, but now that I'm used to them I never want to go back. As was said somewhere on the internet: Reds are like typing on a cloud of boobs.

• Options
    hsu wrote: »

In reality, you really needed stiffer switches, like MX black switches, or switches with "bumps" in them, like browns, blues, or clears, as the bumps have a noticeable increase in force just before the actual activation. You probably should've gotten clears for switches.

But the cheaper route is to buy heavier springs. Go to massdrop.com and get yourself heavier springs, as there's a drop for MX springs right now. For the linear keys, reds have 45g springs, blacks have 60g springs, and greys have 80g springs. For keys that have a "bump", browns/blues have a 55g bump, clears have a 65g bump. My suggestion is to go for at least 60g springs. That's assuming you're comfortable disassembling every switch in your keyboard.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/custom-cherry-mx-springs

If you aren't comfortable modding your switches, return the keyboard, and get a different one.

That's an interesting idea. I'll keep that one in my back pocket, in case I just can't make my peace with this keyboard. I think I'll do my best to try and get used to it, first.

(Also, yeah, I'm not exactly comfortable with disassembling all these switches at the moment.)