As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sword Coast Legends] Where all your D&D dreams come true.Be a DM!

belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
edited September 2015 in Games and Technology
So I didn't see a seperate thread for this, and it's releasing on PC next week. I got in the head start 2 section last weekend and it seemed like fun. The DM options, while not terribly robust, did allow me to create a module in about 15 minutes, where you had to find and kill a boss in a catacomb before he found a magical doodad for summoning his god.

Playing through the adventure, I'm calling it 5e light. The rules aren't exactly the same as 5e (wizards don't really have spell slots, spells have a cooldown per spell, cantrips have a global cooldown). You get a talent tree like some other ARPGs, and you can pause via spacebar.

The classes available during the head start were fighter, rogue, cleric, paladin, and wizard. I don't know if druid's going to be a class or not.

But I would be interested in creating a campaign and running some PAers through it.

At work so if there's interest, I'll pretty up the OP later.

belligerent on

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Add 'D&D' somewhere in the title. Most people don't know what's up with the game.

Sharing this one: DM Mode
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huyVbJUnCfE

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Yeah, Updated the thread. I didn't realize how under the radar this game was. I think if I make it prettier it'll work. :)

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Hmm, modern day NWN from a dev I've never heard of. Anybody in the head start?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    This sounds pretty cool. I'll keep my eye on it.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    It looks vaguely tempting but the trailers are so cut up and full of text and dramatic announcer guy that I can't evaluate what I'm seeing.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Picked this up last night. My first impression is that the DM tools are not nearly as complex as NWN. I don't see any sort of scripting or trigger system. It's really just placing objects and encounters. You don't seem to have much control over the shape of your level either. You can re-roll the random layout, but you can't hand edit it.

Since this is a Unity game, and the option to offer more complex "mods" is there, I'd love to see the DM mode expanded with more dynamic tools. Even a simple visual scripting/trigger system would be a big improvement.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I'll follow this. NWN was my bread and butter for several years after it came out, largely thanks to Modules and PWs.
    If this gets anywhere near that, SCL could be good.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    In fact, the engine is so Unity, they didn't even obfuscate the resulting .NET IL ...you can decompile the entire Unity C# side of the game and recompile it if you wanted (aka, pretty serious, but dangerous and low level, mods). I don't recommend it, mind you...and I would certainly never DL another "mod" someone else had done this way.

The point is that hopefully N-Space, or the community, will be able to expand the DM tools at some point.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    I've not been overly impressed with this so far. It feels like a shallower Dragon Age Origins.

I'll probably be back to Baldur's Gate (again) shortly unless it magically picks up at some point. Haven't tried the multiplayer yet though.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Please report back once you have. I think the multi might make or break the game.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I bought into the game because all the gameplay videos I saw made it look more like a modern Dungeon Siege (with D&D flavoring) than a modern NWN...so maybe my expectations are a bit lower.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Please report back once you have. I think the multi might make or break the game.

Well, I did a run and it was actually pretty fun. All the random players used voice chat and it was a good experience. Don't know about the longevity of the game, but I"ll definitely play more of the MP.

We did die once, and as far as I understand it, there's no death penalty at all, which is a pretty big oversight in this type of game...

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Does your character carry over, or do you create a new one for every adventure?

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Does your character carry over, or do you create a new one for every adventure?

Carries over. I used the character I made for single player, and he started the multiplayer game at level 3 with all his gear from single player (not much, since I only played an hour).

If I had to compare this game to anything, it feels like a somewhat shallower Dragon Age Origins with a multiplayer aspect. Could be worse, could be better.

1208768734831.jpg