As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer won't turn on. HALP!

BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
For some reason, my rig has simply quit working. Over the past few days I noticed sometimes I would have to hold down the power button to get it started, but never experienced any other problems. However, pressing the power or reset buttons has no effect, and I've tried moving the wires coming from the button on the front of the case to no avail. I'll post my relevant specs since I believe this is a problem with the case/mobo and not with addon cards. And yes, I've tried flipping the power switch in the back, and the outlets it's connected to all work.

Motherboard: KN1 Lite (ECS)
PS: Antec 400 watt

BlueDestiny on

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So you have isolated it isnt a cabling issue? from the power button?

Could be PSU. Try swapping out various components with another PC. This is why whenever I build a new PC I keep all my old components. Good for swap checks.

Sounds like its almost certainly the power supply. could be a fuse in the socket. could be a lot of things. I guess your best bet is to control test all the parts. wont be mobo, if thats bricked the Pc will still turn on, but just not boot.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    wont be mobo, if thats bricked the Pc will still turn on, but just not boot.

Don't be so sure of that. I've had a machine with a bricked mobo that wouldn't turn on. Swapped out the mobo for a new one, worked fine.

Andorien on
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Obvious words of caution. Don't brick your system accidentally by messing with various power switches. It's pretty easy to do. If you built your own system then the first thing you want to do is just to make sure everything is plugged in right and fully.

Yeah pretty obvious but just throwing it out there.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    Dirty DrawersDirty Drawers Lord of the undie world Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Possibly PSU or RAM. You won't get a POST if one of your RAM slots or sticks is shot. But not enough information, and forum troubleshooting is a bitch.

Dirty Drawers on
    Fools shall not be pitied.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm sending in my PSU to NewEgg for a replacement. Fortunately, I'm just under the 1-year replacement warranty. In any case, I'll see if that was the problem when I get my new PSU or they tell me that it has no defects.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    same thing happened to me the other month, turns out the PSU was burnt out somehow. switched in an extra on i had laying around and everything worked fine again.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, judging from your earlier experience sounds like a PSU problem.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You can do a power drain, unplug power supply from the electrical outlet and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then plug it back in and try turning it on. If that doesnt fix it go and pick up a power supply tester from a computer store. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899888901 8.99 + shipping is cheaper than accidentally replacing the wrong part.

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    My 360 decided to brick itself on the same day. I'm going to be surpised if my Wii's wrist strap doesn't snap too.D:

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did you smell anything when your computer stopped working? Whenever I've seen a power supply blow, one could easily smell burnt stuff inside.

A busted video card can also cause a computer to crap out right after powering on, although you should hear a few beeps from the PC speaker if this is the case.

Rigor Mortis on