As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Australia 2015 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

13»

• Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Just wanted to check if we would be getting a BYOC information email. This is my first year at PAX and I have no idea where to go and what times we can bring all our gear in.

Also a list of the games being played, if there are comps, would also help immensely. Some of us will need to spend the next week just downloading the games on Steam/Origin etc. (Curse you slow internet!)

You should be getting an email out for BYOC with checkin information and time. I spoke to the BYOC deputy and he said information packs should be going out around a week before PAX.

• Options
    nitro_jawtnitro_jawt MelbourneRegistered User new member
    Hi all, I'm attending BYOC (3 day pass), however on the Saturday I'm bringing my 12yo daughter (1 day pass). Given she has to be accompanied by me at all times will she be allowed into the BYOC area with me, or will I effectively be "locked out" of BYOC while I'm supervising my daughter?

Thanks!

• Options
    Sorry, but I believe that is the case. BYOC is set as an R18+ area and additionally only holders of a BYOC badge may enter BYOC.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Krak3n wrote: »
    I am absolutely hankering for some Vive action. Will there by any Vive booths at Pax?

@Krak3n:

• Options
    j117j117 Registered User new member
    Hey guys, not sure if this has been asked (I saw something in the FAQ about second hand passes but it seemed to be mainly about counterfeiting) so If my friend who has a 3 day pass doesn't want to go anymore am I able to use his pass to get in even though it's still in his name? Or does my ID need to match the badge?

• Options
    Not at all, the only thing you need to enter is the badge itself. ID is only needed to pick up badges, but if you already have it from being mailed out, you're good to go. Hope you have a good PAX!

• Options
    GumptiongirlGumptiongirl Registered User regular
    Are there any set rules about recording panels- either for personal use or for friends?
    Specifically the PAX Q&A's and the omeganauts challenges...

• Options
    mouseno4mouseno4 Registered User regular
    How does extra day passes work? Over a year ago i purchased a Saturday pass and have the 'badge' in my hands already. After prompting from the guys on this forum, i recently added Friday and Sunday passes so i effectively have Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but only Saturday is in a physical form.

What do i need to do for the other 2 days? Will i need to pick up my physical badge for Friday at the entry point and again on Sunday? Can i pick up both on Friday morning or will i need to collect each day as i arrive?

• Options
    Are there any set rules about recording panels- either for personal use or for friends?

Feel free! Just be aware of others around you and make sure you're not making it hard for them to enjoy the panel as well, also if the panelist requests no recording then please respect their wishes.
    mouseno4 wrote: »
    How does extra day passes work? Over a year ago i purchased a Saturday pass and have the 'badge' in my hands already. After prompting from the guys on this forum, i recently added Friday and Sunday passes so i effectively have Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but only Saturday is in a physical form.

What do i need to do for the other 2 days? Will i need to pick up my physical badge for Friday at the entry point and again on Sunday? Can i pick up both on Friday morning or will i need to collect each day as i arrive?

You will need to go to the registration booth on Friday morning (possibly Thursday afternoon, check your confirmation email) with your confirmation email and ID and you can pick up both your Friday and Sunday passes then and then go in.

• Options
    CuZZa wrote: »

Feel free! Just be aware of others around you and make sure you're not making it hard for them to enjoy the panel as well, also if the panelist requests no recording then please respect their wishes.

You will need to go to the registration booth on Friday morning (possibly Thursday afternoon, check your confirmation email) with your confirmation email and ID and you can pick up both your Friday and Sunday passes then and then go in.

I have been considering going to the pre-PAX ''drinkies'' on Thursday in the city, so i might go pick up my extra badges then. Would feel better to have 3 badges than just one hehe!

Probably better to have them already on Friday as i dont doubt the lines will be awful. I have been told many times over that PAX queues to pretty much everything are just plain painful and that i should just accept it. If i can pick up my extra badges on Thursday and alleviate at least some of the pain of queues on Friday, it will be worth it.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered bringing one of those super small fold up chairs that compresses to fit into a back pack. If queue times really are as awful as people say they are at PAX...

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I wonder if anyone has ever considered bringing one of those super small fold up chairs that compresses to fit into a back pack. If queue times really are as awful as people say they are at PAX...

@Qumaden ;)

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular

I have been considering going to the pre-PAX ''drinkies'' on Thursday in the city, so i might go pick up my extra badges then. Would feel better to have 3 badges than just one hehe!

Probably better to have them already on Friday as i dont doubt the lines will be awful. I have been told many times over that PAX queues to pretty much everything are just plain painful and that i should just accept it. If i can pick up my extra badges on Thursday and alleviate at least some of the pain of queues on Friday, it will be worth it.

I go to all three US PAX. I have a ton of problems with my back, knees and feet, so standing in line even for part of the day wears me out pretty quickly. I bought a small cheap little five dollar one and as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for; it broke during the queue line day one of pax east 15. For PAX Prime this year, I invested a bit more money and sprung for a walkstool.

http://www.walkstool.com They're also on Amazon. A bit expensive, but also an invaluable tool if you're going to spend a lot of time in the expo hall and have any sort of issues with being in your feet for very long. I'm 6'2"(188 cm) and 200lbs(91kg) and had no problem with the base model. I just wanted a bit more height so that I could still talk to people around me. I've seen folks with a fair amount more girth than me using these same stools and they have shown no signs of wear. 5/5 will sit again.

• Options
    Anyone know if headphones (for music) are a good idea whilst waiting in a queue? Was thinking if i have nothing to do but walk around between panels, it would be pretty silly to zombify myself with a 3DS whilst walking rofl!

So i would bring my iPod with music to listen to, considering that there are more people within 10 meters of me than i could possibly count... and that many people will undoubtedly make a lot of noise.

Is there a speaker system i would need to listen for that i might not hear above my music?

• Options
    Is there a speaker system i would need to listen for that i might not hear above my music?

From experience, yes it would be good to have earphones for sounds coming from your handheld or iPod, but it is best to interact with the people around you in line because they're also there to see the thing you want to see and love, so you automatically have something in common with everyone around you! Also you may need to keep an ear out for Enforcers directing you and the line places. So I would bring them, but maybe keep them off one ear or be able to hear others around you or directions from others.

• Options
    One thing I have seen recommended is a cardboard tube that you can strap or tape to your backpack, not too long but big enough to fit standard posters into. That way when you get posters as swag you can just roll them up, slot them into the tube and they will be safe for the rest of the day! Also, bottle of alcohol hand gel. Use it often, especially if you've just used a very busy demo station.

Actually grabbed both of these items at officeworks the other day on your advice. :D

• Options

From experience, yes it would be good to have earphones for sounds coming from your handheld or iPod, but it is best to interact with the people around you in line because they're also there to see the thing you want to see and love, so you automatically have something in common with everyone around you! Also you may need to keep an ear out for Enforcers directing you and the line places. So I would bring them, but maybe keep them off one ear or be able to hear others around you or directions from others.

Ahh very good point there. I will keep that in mind.

• Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Bringing a small game to play with people around you in queues is awesome. My friends and I played Zombie Dice and Cthulhu Dice with people we met in the queue last year :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzyJazzy Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Love Letter is also another great small game.

Moon Wizard.
  • Options
    deefromduskvaledeefromduskvale Registered User new member
    Can I pick up badges for my partner and his brother? Keep in mind that I will only have the email confirmations, and my ID (not theirs and it is under their name)?
    I cannot make it to the early collection tonight, so I was going to go on Friday after work (attending on Sunday)
    Would this be more effort or should I just collect Sunday morning? Unsure on queues etc. PAX Newbie, please be friendly! :)

• Options
    RicoIzACoolGaiRicoIzACoolGai Registered User new member
    Howdy,
    I purchased a pass for Friday. Upon looking at your website I realised that I will need a photo ID (On account of being 17). The school I went to last year gave me a photo ID which has since expired. That ID has my birth date and a picture of myself but will it be accepted? It is expired.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Howdy,
    I purchased a pass for Friday. Upon looking at your website I realised that I will need a photo ID (On account of being 17). The school I went to last year gave me a photo ID which has since expired. That ID has my birth date and a picture of myself but will it be accepted? It is expired.
    for an official answer, email info@paxaustralia.com.au

That's the sort of thing I wouldn't want to guess about.