As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Armadeaddon

• MaxxsenseMaxxsense N. Ridgeville OhioRegistered User regular
    never mind they added more to the store.

Check out my Virtual Pin Lanyard: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Maxx_Sense
  • agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    dmosinee wrote: »
    The scuttlebutt is that it's not really sold out -- shopify is just crapping the bed and showing weird things to people.

"With Patrick Duffy for a leg."

Oh hang on, scuttlebutt :P

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • NopeNope Frankfort, KYRegistered User regular
    I got a full box of the Armadeaddon, be curious to see what I got

• corinnetagscorinnetags Academic Williamsport, PARegistered User regular
    Okay, I was just able to get six boxes. Ugh, which I totally can't afford right now but I am an addict. Thank you credit card. Waiting on the Halloween set until I actually get PAID (hopefully it won't sell out).

• JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    Me paying for my case and Halloween pins like

1323635452001.png

• agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to receive these, will be a lovely post-PAX surprise :)

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • Wraith90Wraith90 Saskatoon, SkRegistered User regular
    It's still showing available to me, I was able to get 4 boxes. Wish I could have gotten more but the CAD to USD conversion right now is terrible.

• vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Same as Max, 6 & Halloween. It wouldn't let me change the 6 to 7 so....

• crowtalescrowtales Registered User regular
    whew. got 7 Armadeadon and 1 halloween. Wish I could afford a full case of the Armadeadon, but that's what the trade events at Pax are for, I suppose!

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Managed to constrain myself and only buy one box instead of a case.

IhtGIyi.png
  • HoHumtheBumHoHumtheBum CARegistered User regular
    Managed to constrain myself and only buy one case... :?

• TheRightStoffTheRightStoff Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    Managed to constrain myself and only buy one box instead of a case.

Me too. Does anyone have an idea if these will be a limited run?

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    my ha
    Me too. Does anyone have an idea if these will be a limited run?

We have no plans to re-run these at this point. What was made in this run will be it.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Samurai_KittySamurai_Kitty PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I at my husband's goading bought a case. My wallet cries. :? But I'm hyped to open boxes. :biggrin:

• Warpwind Warpwind Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if they'll be available at pax aus?

• TheRightStoffTheRightStoff Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »

We have no plans to re-run these at this point. What was made in this run will be it.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to figure how I am going to afford some more. How many pins were made of each?

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    Well, this day just got a whole lot more interesting...
    CR9MPVKUkAAv5t7.jpg

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Warpwind wrote: »

These will not be for sale at Aus.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    edited October 2015
    Lazorz wrote: »
    CR9MPVKUkAAv5t7.jpg

Collectors of Pins! PAXers! My pin pals!

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of traders fails, when we forsake our fullsets and break all bonds of completionism.

But it is not this day.

An hour of ultra rares and shattered pin groups when the age of Pinny comes crashing down!

But it is not this day!

This day we fight!

By all that you hold dear on this good forum, I bid you stand!

Traders of the Pins!

Juicesir on
  • misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    Warpwind wrote: »

These will not be for sale at Aus.
    Where's the thumbs down button. :(

• theoriginalztheoriginalz PhillyRegistered User regular
    I bought 3 boxes and 1 halloween set. With int'l shipping and the shitty canadian dollar, it only came to $100. :|

Trade pins with me! Pinny LanyardjlB4Ded.png
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    Lazorz wrote: »
    CR9MPVKUkAAv5t7.jpg
    I was on the fence about ordering... Not anymore. Fuck that.

Creating an artificial scarcity for certain pins in the set through different odds, combine with gambling/luck of the draw. Bull shit.

These systems have been proven to work (i.e. make money), though. Disney makes a killing selling the blind box Vinylmations, which have rarities almost exactly like these. It's fair enough to not order and not participate, and I can understand it making people salty when most pins have been readily available before now, but if PA want to develop a real 'trading' community, which they're clearly fostering, this is an excellent way to do it.

Yeah, and to be honest, it's all artificial scarcity. PA is the one who decides how many in each run. The point of things like this, as misskass said, is to foster trading. And the trading is strong with this community.

edited October 2015
    If you wanted to foster trading and support the trading community you would keep the pins of a single set at the same level of scarcity across the set so even your community members on a limited budget could still obtain the set with only a reasonable amount of difficulty. Edit: Or you maintain full sets for set prices as they have been doing for years and the trading community has only grown larger and larger over that time.

But what they did was simply a pure cash grab to increase sales now that they have a hard following. You want to set a rigid price on your set and tell me the 12 pins will cost me $200? Awesome, I will buy it because I know what I am getting.

But when you tell me I could order the max limit 3 cases for just under $600 but due to RNJesus I may only end up with 9 pieces of the set, while someone else could order 4 boxes and get 3x 1/50s and a ?/?? and reasonably trade those 2x spare 1/50s to complete a full set because of the scarcity and be done for under $75?

I repeat... Fuck that.

There are more than a fair share of people willing to put their $200 on black and spin the wheel. I'm just not one of them.

Spokane_SnowMan on
    Well, yeah, that's exactly what they're saying. My sister got lucky, out of the two boxes of Star Wars Vinylmations that she bought at Disneyland, she got some random thing in one and either a chaser or a variant in the other, can't remember exactly which. The chaser/variant are the rarest ones to get, and she got one almost immediately.

As members of the community (and PA staffers) have said before, it's no longer about everyone being able to collect everything. If you don't want to participate in this round of pins, then don't do it, nobody's forcing you to. I don't think it's unfair for PA to branch out into different pin distribution methods, especially ones that already work.

If you wanted to, you could trade for all of the pins in the Armadeaddon set, you wouldn't have to spend a single dollar buying a blind box, if you found the right person to trade. There will be people who'll let the rare pins go for less than they're objectively 'worth', because they're nice people, or they're helping out a friend, or you have something they value more highly than ?/?? Skeleton Jim. Buying the blind boxes is not the only way to get these pins if you're willing to put in the effort, that's why it's a trading game, not a purchasing game.

misskass wrote: »
    I don't think it's unfair for PA to branch out into different pin distribution methods, especially ones that already work.
    No one said it was unfair. But they must do so with the understanding they may be excluding/losing part of the community they already have established with their new decisions.
    If you wanted to, you could trade for all of the pins in the Armadeaddon set, you wouldn't have to spend a single dollar buying a blind box, if you found the right person to trade.
    This is just a silly comment. Of course you can trade for any pin. It just costs you money on a different end. One way or another the money gets spent. Either you spend the hundreds gambling, or you spend an equivalent value in money pins on the other side to trade for it.

I mean, pins are merch. And Magic the Gathering pretty much does the same thing with their drafts, you know? Like, both pins and cards come in blind packages, you buy a bunch not knowing what you're going to get, though there are some offerings where you do, and by opening them you learn what you don't have.

Pins are a way to make money. That's their purpose for PA, and to also build a community. I'd say they've done a brilliant job of doing both.

I don't want to fight you, man, my point is just that the distribution system is going to change, and you/the other people who don't like it will have to accept it. I'm sure the pin community will lose members over this, but I'm sure it will gain a lot more when people make trades at PAXes for Armadeaddon pins they didn't get. PA is a company, they need to make money.

I will point out that I said you don't have to spend money to buy a blind box, I didn't say anything about the pins coming to you for free. Of course you have to get pins from somewhere. However, if you were to (somehow) grab a bunch of Twitch Helixes from the upcoming Aus PAX - which are free, I might add - you would have almost zero difficulty in trading them to people for the rarer Armadeaddon pins.

• SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If I have money after PAX Aus, I'll be getting a case and the Halloween set. Hoping to trade for what I can during PAX Aus.

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The timing of this really hits home for me as I lately wondered if I need to reduce my collection via some multiple-pin-for-highly-sought-pin trades. Guess we'll see what my 6 boxes brings and go from there.

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • NopeNope Frankfort, KYRegistered User regular
    If you wanted to, you could trade for all of the pins in the Armadeaddon set, you wouldn't have to spend a single dollar buying a blind box, if you found the right person to trade. There will be people who'll let the rare pins go for less than they're objectively 'worth', because they're nice people, or they're helping out a friend, or you have something they value more highly than ?/?? Skeleton Jim. Buying the blind boxes is not the only way to get these pins if you're willing to put in the effort, that's why it's a trading game, not a purchasing game.

As a guy who bought a case...I can tell you right now I probably won't end up getting all of them but I can guarantee you I am gonna be trading my duplicates with other pin traders. I am not in it for the $ value, I just think the pins are cool, and if I can trade a dup of a "high value" pin just for a lower level one to complete a set...I'm gonna do it. Likewise, I like giving cool pins to people, esp those just starting out :)

• grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    No one said it was unfair. But they must do so with the understanding they may be excluding/losing part of the community they already have established with their new decisions.

And? You can never please every body.

If they didn't introduce such a set, I would be getting more and more bored of the hobby. To me missing a pin is the best part, being able to just walk up and purchase every pin is getting increasingly stale. For me this element of gambling is making it more interesting.

I understand that isn't true for everyone and that's why there are plenty of pins for them to enjoy.

I like the Arma set because it gives me something to hunt and work on over a long time, that's what collectibles are to me. The hunt.

So who's opinion is correct? Yours or mine?

Different pins will come out for different levels of enjoyment.

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
    I think the community is at a point where a lot of us are gonna break open full cases, look through to see if we have one full set, and then trade within that set to get the others. I can see a lot of cooperation going on, and that prospect excites me. As has been said, the DSB unboxing videos were awesome. I'm excited to see the flood of videos and new trading parties pop up with the possibility afforded by Arma. ^_^

• JKwonJKwon Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    i collect kidrobot toys which is essentially this very same concept, collection of vinyl toy figures with different ratios per case so you dont know what youre getting, ala a very expensive hobby

PAX Prime 2010 [x]
    PAX Prime 2011 [x]
    PAX Prime 2012 [x]
    PAX Prime 2013 [x]
    PAX Prime 2014 [x]
    PAX Prime 2015 [x]

https://pinnypals.com/pals/5Panel
  • D0rkAnglD0rkAngl Lynnwood, WARegistered User regular
    Ahhhh, the timing is terrible. I'm in the middle of changing jobs.

Is there any chance that these things aren't going to sell out in the next two weeks? :(

I'm not a numbers/excel guy like some other pinnies are, but based on the chatter and just how big of an investment this is, it's looking like they made this one - as it says in the description - "an event." Like, again, it feels a lot like a new Magic draft to me, and that trade parties are definitely encouraged.

I get the feeling of them more headed towards the gambling/artificial scarcity side, but they're not that devious. Their considerations are also that they want to grow and honor the community in new and interesting ways, and I think this was a subtle attempt to propel us, the collectors, towards even more collaboration and community building. That could just be my read on it, idk.

• PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Argh, these coming out the week before PAX AUS is murder. IF there is any left in the store after PAX, and IF I still have any cash, perhaps I'll pick some up!

nb. No problems with blind box distribution though, just wish these came out in pinter or something!

• vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Argh, these coming out the week before PAX AUS is murder. IF there is any left in the store after PAX, and IF I still have any cash, perhaps I'll pick some up!

nb. No problems with blind box distribution though, just wish these came out in pinter or something!

Yeah the timing is nasty. Well, money spent on these is money I wont have to spend at pax.

• PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    OK, apologies if my maths is rusty.

As far as I can work out from rusty high school rememberances, the lowest common denominator here is 200ths. So in any normal distribution of 200 pins you should get:
    25 Splatter Gabes
    25 Splatter Tychos
    25 Blood Rage FFs
    25 Splatter Annarchys
    20 Splatter Charles
    20 Splatter Franks
    20 Splatter Galahads
    10 Sad Zombie Tychos
    10 Zombie Juices
    4 "Cinnabon Gabe?"s

which makes 184 pins total. That leaves 16 pins left to make up the complement of Skeleton Jims and Squarey Squaringtons. That means 2 out of every 25 pins should be some combination of these two pins.

To extrapolate this out to pins in a case (12 packs with 2 pins each, 24 pins total), in a normally distributed case you should get:
    3 Splatter Gabe
    3 Splatter Tycho
    3 Blood Rage FF
    3 Splatter Annarchy
    2 Splatter Charles with a 40% chance of getting a third
    2 Splatter Frank with a 40% chance of getting a third
    2 Splatter Galahad with a 40% chance of getting a third
    1 Sad Zombie Tycho with a 20% chance of getting a second
    1 Zombie Juice with a 20% chance of getting a second
    a 48% chance of getting a "Cinnabon Gabe?"
    1 of either Skeleton Jim or "Squarey Squarington" with a 92% chance of getting a second.