As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just Cause 3: Out now!

JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
edited December 2015 in Games and Technology
0q5izP9.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95sD37j81KM

Just Cause 3 is the squeal to the award winning open world explosion simulator. Unlike most open world games, blowing up as mush as you can isn't a fun diversion, its the whole point of the game!

The setting, from wikipedia:
Set several years after the events of Just Cause 2, Rico Rodriguez leaves The Agency and returns to his homeland of Medici, a fictional Mediterranean island under the brutal control of dictator General Di Ravello who has set his eyes on world domination. Wanting to stop him, Rico goes on a journey to destroy his evil plans.

New features include a wing suit and new grapple gun features, including the ability to retract your lines, causing objects to slam into each other.

Fun Just Cause 2 videos that show off the kind of fun we can expect:

The game arrives December 1 of this year. Looks like Christmas comes early this year!

...Wait, that was another mass destruction causing secret agent, wasn't it.

Oh, and the most important question:

Who is Bolo Santosi?

She is the lead-er of the revolutionary army known as the Reaa-puuuurs

JusticeforPluto on

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Played a bit of the demo at PAX. It was a little odd to just jump into a challenge with no context or anything, but the game did feel good to run around and blow stuff up. I think I'll enjoy it a lot more when there is some progression to it and I've learned what I can do without just being thrown onto a big tower with a rocket launcher.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Judging by all the videos of it so far, it looks like it's going to great fun zipping around in the wingsuit. They've improved the car handling/vehicle physics quite a bit too.
    I loved JC1 and JC2, and this looks like more of a further refinement of the kind of gameplay established by those prior entries in the series, which is fine by me. Explode all the things! :)

Logo for the OP, if you want to paste it in @JusticeforPluto :
    0q5izP9.png

Oh and if any Americans/Canadians fancy an island to explode things on of their own, Square Enix has a competition going on.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Thanks Zilla. Feel free to pm me anything else you feel the op needs.

I couldn't find the set of "choose your own chaos" trailers.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egYNYVxrWGE&list=PLLX4thG13UY6yk7Rx2oaLPH-5m3HS0z3m

These guys make magical engines. I am very excited for this.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I wish I could be more excited for Just Cause 3. The lack of multiplayer feels like such a huge missed opportunity.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I'd be embarrassed to say how long I played Just Cause 2 before I realized the title was supposed to be a pun.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Arteen wrote: »
    I wish I could be more excited for Just Cause 3. The lack of multiplayer feels like such a huge missed opportunity.

They couldn't get the multiplayer into a shippable state (because it's kind of fucking ridiculous), so they actually invited the people who make the mod in. As far as I know everyone's being cagey, but the impression I got is that they will support a multi mod like last time.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Christ, that sphere tank explosion.

This fucking game, man.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    New dev diary on world building:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khobhtSCpzM

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I hope the shooting feels good in this one. It was very meh feeling in 2. Also that planes and helicopters get to be much faster than cars when they barely coasted faster than them in two. Also that cars and other vehicles (besides motorcycles) actually feel fun to drive.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Just Cause 3 is the squeal to the award winning open world explosion simulator.

You have my interest.

Actually, I didn't get into the previous two titles due to a wariness of open world games, but from what I've seen, this one is shaping up to be a very good spiritual successor to the Mercenaries series which I loved to death.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I feel like Just Cause and Saints row have a lot in common in their mission design. Saints is more tongue in cheek, but both just go over the top in just the right way to keep the game feeling fresh through the absolutely ridiculous story.

I still don't know how their going to top 2.

Ending for JC2
    Lets grapple between 4 nuclear missiles in flight to disarm them, and ignore that they were launched from a giant submarine that somehow got from an alpine lake to the ocean.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I thought 2 had deceptively great mission design, missions all had a very good flow and a satisfying sense of place and were excellent at building intensity to a climax. I can't think of a single mission I found frustrating or didn't enjoy in some way.

Also I love that you're "liberating" this poor country, I hope you like rubble and freedom, cos you're getting lots of both!

Prohass on
  • Options
    I want this game so bad.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I'm Mr. Meeseeks! Look at me!

I've been keeping my eyes closed on this game because I know I want it and I didn't want spoilers, but I just watched some of those dev videos... uuuuuuung. December 1st can not get get here fast enough!

I think a lot of people unappreciated the wizardy of the developers and their engine with Just Cause 2. It's a fantastic system and knowing they are bringing that same voodoo to Just Cause 3 with all these new features just makes me wet myself.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I think the two things that stood out for me were the people slingshots, and how incredibly amazing the explosions looked, like when that gas station cooked off. HOLY Shit. I hope they have even more impressive things to blow up! Like let me blow up an entire offshore rig, not just bits. Things like that.

A close third is the destructible bridges. watching the supports collapse then the road surface was just amazing.

I'm hoping for JC4 they do what Crackdown 3 is doing with fully destructible buildings, because as cool as the stuff that can be destroyed, it is sad seeing cars and stuff crash into "normal" buildings and there isn't even a scratch.

I think with the Just Cause series the missions are loose enough and over the top enough that a legitimate win condition would be to mine a house to bring it down. And you could make fairly realistic, where as it is going to take a TON of work to bring down something like a skyscraper only using small explosives. Those buildings can take a hell of a lot of abuse.

You could also have it so that if a building isn't completely destroyed, after a day/night cycle there is scaffolding around the building as it's repaired, then a few days later (depending on severity of damage) it is back to normal. So if you don't go back to an area for a while it can repair itself.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Holy shit. I was not expecting people slingshot. That is insane. I was already exited for this. Now I'm chomping at the bits!

• Options
    Some pretty cool footage of OXBOX attacking an Oil Rig with a Jet Fighter towards the end of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRfQ8wK-yAM

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Oh my, that vehicle drop method is fantastic.

THROW A MARKER. HERE'S A BOX FROM THE SKY. IT HAS A HUGE HELICOPTER INSIDE.

Drop over.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Just Cause really needs the geomod engine.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Those are a magnificent bit of marketing. I went from "pick up during the slow season" to "DAY ONE MIDNIGHT" by the time I saw the vehicle drop.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Played a bit (ok, a lot) Just Cause 2.
    It's a fun game from gameplay pov, but story never really grabbed me (i pretty much ignored it over driving around blowing shit up).

There were some rather agravating things about it though.
    Trying to find the last destroyable item in a large open city being one, having the zone ever stopped at 98% completion because i can't find the last water tower, statue, billboard or propaganda booth.
    Trying to search for destroyable statues in the countryside being another.

Having the story missions require you to go out and do random destruction and stuff before unlocking them being also one, which very quickly lead me to completely ignore story missions, and just doing random destruction and chaos all over the island.

But actual combat and driving were fun.

• Options
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That video gives the motivation for Rico this game. "How dare that dictator destroy a town! That's my job!"

Love that music.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    41 Minutes of Just Cause 3 Gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKtSVrdsM0g

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    It got taken down. Well, made private which means they may release it later.

• Options
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    That Just Cause 3 story trailer. So hot.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Oh my God they've put confetti in the supply drops

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I'd be embarrassed to say how long I played Just Cause 2 before I realized the title was supposed to be a pun.

Huh? How is it a pun?

• Options
    Because most of the gameplay revolves around the following conceit... "Why are you doing that?" and the answer is "Just Cause".

See cow video above.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »

Huh? How is it a pun?

Why do blow things up?

Just Cause.

Or

Because I have a just cause.

It also pokes fun at the real life Opperation Just Cause.

Edit oh wow I was beaten to that by an hour....

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Because most of the gameplay revolves around the following conceit... "Why are you doing that?" and the answer is "Just Cause".

See cow video above.

and that's considered a pun? good to know i guess.

• Options
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pun
    noun

the humorous use of a word or phrase so as to emphasize or suggest its different meanings or applications, or the use of words that are alike or nearly alike in sound but different in meaning; a play on words.
    the word or phrase used in this way.

• Options
    The steaks have definitely been (b)raised, just cause of the way Rico mooves. Am I sensing a beef forming in this thread? You're really milking it.

• Options
    Cattle-pult