As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Its a great big [Steven Universe] out there!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So, are there fan theories out there as to why they named themselves the Crystal Gems?

My theory:
    Initially I thought it was crystal as in crystalline structure, a thing that most gems have. Except that Pearls are not crystaline in nature. There's also the fact that homeworlders like Peridot have no clue what that title means, so it's something Rose and her rebels came up with.

Another way to use the word "crystal" is in creating jewelry that doesn't include real gems - glass made to look like gemstones are crystal gems. Usually we think of those kinds of gems as "false", but another way to look at them is that they have a beauty in their own right, and they exist without having to mine and damage the earth to get them. Now I don't know how far back in history humans have been creating glass to be used in jewelry, but the name Crystal Gems doesn't have to be as old as the war.

So crystal gems has a double meaning I think. On one half it's saying "we refuse to be part of the destruction of the earth" and on the other it says "we reject our membership among the "real" gems back on the homeworld."

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    (Please forgive me for replacing the link to the original, official video)

I'm kind of alarmed that Wacky Sacks would ship a fabric product without a protective polyvinyl shipping bag. What if the package encountered moisture during transit!?

• Options
    AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    I figured they were called the Crystal Gems because
    at some point Peridot refers to Earth as existing in the Crystal System. I think they're just naming themselves after their new home.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    (Please forgive me for replacing the link to the original, official video)

I'm kind of alarmed that Wacky Sacks would ship a fabric product without a protective polyvinyl shipping bag. What if the package encountered moisture during transit!?

Well, it is pleasingly goo proof.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    at some point Peridot refers to Earth as existing in the Crystal System. I think they're just naming themselves after their new home.

I would love to get a peak at their series bible.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I really really love how early on you just accept "okay yeah crystal gems that's their name"

And then lapis shows up and she's like, "wait, crystal gems?" And you're like :0

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

Glad they didn't go with our name
    The milky gems doesn't quite have the same ring

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I thought that Crystal Gems were soldiers? That's why Peridot said that Amethyst was the only real crystal gem. Or maybe I'm misremembering.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I thought that Crystal Gems were soldiers? That's why Peridot said that Amethyst was the only real crystal gem. Or maybe I'm misremembering.
    The only real "Quartz" I thought.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    You are thinking of a Quartz. Peridot doesn't know what a crystal Gem is.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Yeah marble madness.
    Pearl does her spiel about them being the crystal gems and peridot's like what? Like it's a title they just gave themselves that's not well known.

Peridot said amethyst is the only Gem.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The only real gem. Not the only real "crystal gem", because Peridot has no clue what a Crystal gem is.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    he's also into over the garden wall apparently

(though to be frank I didn't care for crimson peak, despite normally being a GDT fan)

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Those two should do a mini series together!

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    it cant be so, tankhammer, the shear awesome would tear the universe asunder

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    it cant be so, tankhammer, the shear awesome would tear the universe asunder

Not necessarily. There's definitely a very slim chance we'll survive!

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2015
    Has it ever been addressed why Buck, Jenny, and Sour Cream kind of resemble Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Has it ever been addressed why Buck, Jenny, and Sour Cream kind of resemble Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl?

Well there are only a small number of real people in the world, and the many people you meet are merely duplicates, that's why you seem to meet the same person all across the world

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Probably an in-joke among the creative team or something.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

they also seem to resemble the supposed statues of Blue, Yellow, and White Diamond that we've seen

tumblr_nw959fqJGA1udg54ho2_500.jpg

• Options
    Found some fun fan art on the topic.

tumblr_nlyhhikWM01ur8oajo2_r1_500.png
    tumblr_nlyhhikWM01ur8oajo1_r1_250.png

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So we're hopefully gonna record Cookiecat Cast this week. Our mailbag is gonna be an open spoiler section so if you guys want to us to discuss any theories you may have feel free to submit them here

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    That's pretty cool and I have a stupid grin on my face

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    tumblr_nw588kGykY1s2fn2fo1_500.png

• Options
    edited October 2015
  • Options
    @The Geek I can't link facebook pics from my phone. Put the other pics from that account in here, they are FANTASTIC.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I really hope we get back to Jasper a little bit this season

I want ot learn more about her and I think she has the potential to be a great character on top of already being a great villain

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I really love Invader Peridot.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I laughed harder at that than I should have.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I Have only caught this on facebook so forgive my ignorance but I guess someone drew one of the larger characters as skinny and is now receiving death threats?

This has caused a bunch of people on my facebook to get real mad and say PC-ness is ruining everything and the word privilege is the worst thing to ever happen and I kind of want to die

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    It's more complicated than that

When bullies band together and bully people in the name of being progressive they are essentially like all other bullies, just with a hell of a dollop of irony

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    It's more complicated than that

When bullies band together and bully people in the name of being progressive they are essentially like all other bullies, just with a hell of a dollop of irony

Yeah I know

But it gives regressive dickheads ammo to rage agains 'being pc' and every time it exposes a bunch of people I consider friends as giant hypocrits and the whole process is exhausting

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Don't give them the satisfaction, chincy. But yes, PCness has pretty much made the first generation of kids that think censorship is cool. Because that is what they are doing when they disagree with fan art to that degree.

I've stated my own misgivings about the trend of a lot of fan art, but I'm not gonna go pitchforks and torches on people...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    God, my twitter feed kind of exploded over that shit

Spike Trotman was basically shooting fire out of her eyes and mouth

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    What character was it? Alphys?

• Options
    It wasn't a single character, and also it was the Steven Universe tumblr fandom

She had something like 40 hateblogs dedicated to tabulating all of her "offenses" in terms of fanart

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Ugh, that's gross

This discussion has been closed.