As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Friday, October 23, 2015 - Prep Time

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2015 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Friday, October 23, 2015 - Prep Time

Prep Time

Prep Time

http://campcomic.com/comic/257

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Tanner's face. <3

Interesting to note the father(?)'s facial hair. It looks like the something bad happened theory is panning out.

But mainly I want some chicken nuggets now.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    augh no my heart no why

• SunBroSolaireSunBroSolaire Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I never thought I'd be rooting for a bitter divorce yet here we are. Keep the feels a comin'. Is that a scar under his eye I just noticed its not there in the prior flashback so maybe it's an indicator of the worst case scenario.

SunBroSolaire on
  • Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Aaand there it is... The sad ending to last weeks happy story :(

• NagoraNagora Registered User regular
    Oh, that hurt.

• XadinsXadins Registered User new member
    @SUNBROSOLAIRE : If you backtrack to when the crate fell, the mark you're talking about is on the other side. Pretty sure those are just bags/stress lines under his eyes.

The lines are just face lines. They're present on pretty much every camper.

• DublinDublin Registered User regular
    The dad is distraught, but not Fred. She left him. If she had died or anything horrible, Fred would be distraughth yoo.

Ya know, the feels? They are being felt.

• mathsgeekmathsgeek Registered User regular
    @SUNBROSOLAIRE: A divorce is slightly less sad that what my original interpretation was for the back story. Adam and Katie come up with such tragic flashbacks.

I really like that Cindy's logo on the bag, :D I don't like washing my hands either. :(

Divorce or other, she left Fred (by the very nature of being at the camp, he was abandoned), too. Either way Fred lost her. He looks distraught to me. Looking longingly at the empty chair.

• SpinelesSSpinelesS Registered User regular
    I'm guessing the wife died, and the father shut down.

• mathsgeekmathsgeek Registered User regular
    @BRIGUY:It's just that they were so happy in the flash back of the last panel, I didn't think she'd leave either of them, I thought perhaps she got hit by a Bus or something.

• darkmage0707077darkmage0707077 Registered User regular
    It was divorce, nearly 100% sure, And she even forshadowed it last comic, too:

Note the ring on the mother's hand at the dinner table, prominently displayed...

The way of the Paladin:
    To Seek,
    To Learn,
    To Do.
    -QFG2

If the speed of light is faster then the speed of sound, is that why people always appear bright until they speak? o_O
  • WestIndianAgoutiWestIndianAgouti Registered User regular
    This entire scenario is incredibly sad. I'm from the Caribbean (an island near South America called Trinidad, to be exact), and divorce has always been a problem for many families in this part of the world. It's always, always difficult to see families fall to pieces due to spousal separation, however, there's always hope, even in the darkest of situations. If any of you here have ever been caught up in divorce as a child, I extend my sincerest sympathies towards you, and I wish you all the very best in life :).

• Roymaster45Roymaster45 Registered User regular
    God damn it, Katie.

• CheddarLimboCheddarLimbo Registered User regular
    God damn it...

Also, Happy Friday to all the other commenters/ readers! :D Hope you guys are doing well

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    No. She dead.

• UnwieldyUnwieldy Registered User regular
    Tanner is really growing on me through these past few comics.

• HugokuHugoku Registered User new member
    edited October 2015
    I think she left.

The dad seems very sad, while Fred looks confused.
    If she had died, they'd both be sad. If it was a divorce I don't think the dad would be so down, but rather putting up a strong front at least.

Hugoku on
  • plato360plato360 Registered User regular
    Knew it was coming.... still hits right in the feels....

• APMEWAPMEW Registered User regular
    The feels, they will be coming soon!!!

• dwtdwt Registered User regular
    Note that the line under Fred's eye is missing in the happy flashback...

Also - for non-US viewers - Cindy's in a play on Wendy's, which is a well-known fast food vendor here in North America.

• PrincessMudPrincessMud Registered User new member
    ...OH.

...oh...

• the_jake_1973the_jake_1973 Registered User regular
    I would lean towards the death/sickness side of the tragedy. Fred, given his age, could very well be confused by his mom's absence. The father is unshaven and looks depressed at the table. If it was divorce, Fred could still cook with his mom. She certainly could have just walked out on them, true, wouldn't have as much impact.......unless this is an camp for unwanted children. Then the walking out scenario fits.

• DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    God damn, another comic that hits ya right in the gut!!! Amazing job as always!

• armatur3armatur3 San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I almost feel like a traitor for saying this but I actually have more feels and anticipation invested in this comic than Penny Arcade anymore. I really enjoy PA and I think it may just be the narrative nature of this story that really appeals to me. It's a continuous theme that builds and grows whereas PA has always been somewhat of a stream of consciousness thing that shifts with current interests.

Both have their place and both are awesome but, damn it Katie, I love these characters.

• HochDeutschHochDeutsch Registered User regular
    Did the wife leave him or pass away? Katie, don't leave us hanging!

• FriedKeithFriedKeith Registered User regular
    Aaaaaand there it is.

• SynDuoSynDuo John A. Galvan Somewhere over a rainbowRegistered User regular
    Oh geez what an emotional feeling to kick off the weekend too. :' )

This is really beautiful story telling, I really love how you can tell so much within the span of a few pages. :) Tanner's such a good friend/bro, Yay cooking with Fred time.

• 253Lboard253Lboard Registered User new member
    okay... this is going to get a bit weird before it starts getting fun again. I bet that Fred's mother either passed away or his parents got divorced and Fred tried to fill the void that was left in the kitchen.

• patrizl001patrizl001 Registered User regular
    RIP that guy that thought Fred's story was a good one

• Mr FishMr Fish Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    @PATRIZL001
    Oh I'm still alive and well, and it's still pretty happy. I mean, look! He's got a Happy Meal!...... wait..... WHERE'S THE SPECIAL TOY THAT CAME WITH HIS MEAL?!?! Did they forget to put it in the bag??? Oh God this story is sadder than I thought..... Poor Fred! Luckily it looks like Fred's mom went to Cindy's to straighten out this no free toy situation. All will be well soon enough! See?

Mr Fish on
  • TrueLinkTrueLink Registered User regular
    Aww... here comes the sadness.

• KittLeeKittLee Registered User new member
    I know believing it would be divorce would be slightly less sad but, I think the logic is flawed for those who think she just left because he doesn't look distraught, in that scenario, his mother LEFT him, abandoned him, with a miserable father and a broken home, nobody can tell me he wouldn't be just as sad if she died as if she walked out and pretended he didn't exist anymore. His facial expression to me just means, as a kid, he doesn't fully comprehend whatever has happened.

P.S I think the eye lines are probably stress + the fact they're all badly fed and underweight as balls orrrr they cry a lot. Probably all 3

@DWT We actually have a few Wendy's restaurants here in Trinidad. They're alright :3

mathsgeek wrote: »
    @BRIGUY:It's just that they were so happy in the flash back of the last panel, I didn't think she'd leave either of them, I thought perhaps she got hit by a Bus or something.

I still think bad thing happened to her is a possibility. We only know her absence is causing pain. Maybe she's in the hospital during this flashback? Maybe she's dead. Maybe she left them. Maybe she's sick. So many possibilities. Maybe it doesn't matter why. Whatever happened destroyed the family and left Fred alone. Poor Fred. :[

Also Wendy's is the devil and nearly killed me when I was kid, and my mom, with the worst food poisoning I've ever experienced. So maybe Cindy's killed her. :P

@BRIGUY I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience with food poisoning :( I'm glad you made a good recovery though, and I hope it doesn't happen to you again in the future.

• AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    Oh, man! I just realized that the Cindy's burger should have been square.

That will be updated 20 years from now when we release the special editions of these comics.

You gonna go all George Lucas on us? What will be the 'Han shot first' moment that splits the fandom apart?

It was nearly two decades ago, but I've never trusted Wendy's since. It's also the only time I've completely hallucinated. It's not as fun as television and movies would have you believe.